Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

I think Diggs is around for next season and maybe two.  I'm hoping Beane leaves Diggs' contract alone I.e. no restructure.  I don't pretend to know what's going on but the best plan for the Bills is to add a good young WR or two on the roster.  If they do that, it'll be easier to deal with Diggs and his contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:56 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Watched a couple Diggs interviews.

Honestly... I think he's just sick of people asking about it. I think he believes he clearly squashed any thought of him wanting out of Buffalo when in Training Camp he spoke glowingly of the Bills and said he wanted to retire a Bill.

Even his interviews now he says he doesn't want to be traded. He says he and Josh are family and Josh has done so much for him.

The whole "where there's smoke there's fire" statement came in the middle of him riffing.

We can't move Diggs.

We won't move Diggs.

Diggs will continue to be evasive all offseason because that's just how he is.

#/thread

At the end of the day, where is going to go, even if he wanted to be traded?  He wants to win a Super Bowl. Period.  He's made that abundantly clear that is his motivation.  What contender has the cap space to bring him on?

Tannenbaum suggested a Diggs-Tyrique stevenson trade to Bears.  I have to say if we could flip Diggs for a starter on a rookie deal then bring in Mike Evans in free agency I’d give that some serious  thought.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Tannenbaum suggested a Diggs-Tyrique stevenson trade to Bears.  I have to say if we could flip Diggs for a starter on a rookie deal then bring in Mike Evans in free agency I’d give that some serious  thought.  

Why would the Bears do this?  

lmao...this thread still going huh?  

Diggs:  I want to retire a Bill, I hope I get to stay, Josh is family.  

Beane:  Diggs is absolutely still a WR1 and shows no interest in moving on from him.

So then TSW:  Diggs is cryptic and is forcing a trade and Bills are going to do it despite the fact it will destroy their cap and neither Diggs or Beane seemed to want a trade.

TSW Offseason Logic never disappoints.  Its amazing to me how many people here just fall for media click bait beating a dead story over and over again.  Anything can happen, so a trade is not impossible, but all indications have been no trade both publicly from those involved and just the overall math of the cap situation Bills are in and the cap hits in all trade scenarios around Diggs.  

For a trade to happen, there would really need to be something insurmountable on the back end between Diggs and the team.  And until something like that surfaces, a trade seems pretty far fetched for a team looking to win this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So, you would seriously consider trading Diggs, creating $31M in dead cap space and then sign Evans (who is expected to see somewhere in the $20M-$25M a year zone) so we could bring in a player on a rookie deal at a position that is already pretty stacked. 

A few things. First off, now you see why Tannenbaum is on TV instead of in a front office. Guy is a grade A idiot. 

Second...what other moves in this fantasy scenario are you making to afford this? Starting a GoFundMe? 

The idea to eat dead cap in that substantial amount to get a guy on a rookie contract as the reward...kind of self defeating, no? 

Reminds me of my father in law that drives 2 hours out of his way (each way) to save 6 cents a gallon on gas. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is why Tannenbaum doesn't have a NFL job!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, you would seriously consider trading Diggs, creating $31M in dead cap space and then sign Evans (who is expected to see somewhere in the $20M-$25M a year zone) so we could bring in a player on a rookie deal at a position that is already pretty stacked. 

A few things. First off, now you see why Tannenbaum is on TV instead of in a front office. Guy is a grade A idiot. 

Second...what other moves in this fantasy scenario are you making to afford this? Starting a GoFundMe? 

The idea to eat dead cap in that substantial amount to get a guy on a rookie contract as the reward...kind of self defeating, no? 

Reminds me of my father in law that drives 2 hours out of his way (each way) to save 6 cents a gallon on gas. 

Trading Diggs vs keeping him on his current deal adds $3m to the 2024 cap.  Evans is unquestionably an upgrade to Diggs.  Evans even at $20m+ per year contract wouldn’t take up more than $10m in cap in 2024.  So for $13m more in cap you upgrade Diggs to Evans and add a starter to your secondary. It’s unlikely but not unthinkable.  

I'm open to trading Diggs, eating the cap, and then drafting multiple WR's.. say RD1 and RD3.  

But trading Diggs and then signing a big name WR makes no cap sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm open to trading Diggs, eating the cap, and then drafting multiple WR's.. say RD1 and RD3.  

Trading Diggs would make an even bigger hole at the WR position. Simply add a reliable threat opposite Diggs and watch 2022 Diggs reappear. Had DHop been acquired, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Maybe we'd have a SB trophy at OBD

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Trading Diggs vs keeping him on his current deal adds $3m to the 2024 cap.  Evans is unquestionably an upgrade to Diggs.  Evans even at $20m+ per year contract wouldn’t take up more than $10m in cap in 2024.  So for $13m more in cap you upgrade Diggs to Evans and add a starter to your secondary. It’s unlikely but not unthinkable.  

So, for a team that's already over $50M in the red pertaining to the cap, an extra $13M is no biggie. And where are you finding that extra $13M, keeping in mind we need to fill out a roster for camp, sign picks and have money open for in season moves during the season. 

And FWIW...Evans is very good but he's not an upgrade on Diggs. And Evans is very notable for not only his production...but hin inexplicable tendency to drop wide open passes. And it's all to add a CB...who isn't starting over Douglas or Benford. 

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

lmao...this thread still going huh?  

Diggs:  I want to retire a Bill, I hope I get to stay, Josh is family.  

Beane:  Diggs is absolutely still a WR1 and shows no interest in moving on from him.

So then TSW:  Diggs is cryptic and is forcing a trade and Bills are going to do it despite the fact it will destroy their cap and neither Diggs or Beane seemed to want a trade.

The way the forum logic works is that every time someone respond to a thread, it "bumps" the thread up to the top of the page where more people see the thread and then click on it and post within it.

If *you* don't like a thread, here are your best options:

1) Don't click it. If you do not click on the thread title, you will not enter the thread. If you do not enter the thread, you won't have to be subjected to opinions that aggravate you so much.

2) If you don't have the willpower NOT to click the thread title, then the second best option is to NOT REPLY in the thread. Every time you reply in a thread you hate, you push it back towards the top of the page. If your goal is to make it go away, you should do the opposite of what you have done nearly 10 times in this thread - reply.

I hope I was able to help.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is sort of where I’m at.  I have good reason to believe this guy is a difficult human.  People like that make for a bad work environment.   If we can remove him at fair value, replace him with young talent (draft two of them, maybe sign a vet on a one-year deal to be sort of the old guy in the room), and spread it out between Kincaid, Cook, Shakir, and the two new ones, then I’m good with the reboot.  It’s actually the far better play from a long-term cap perspective, and it might even be a wiser short-term play. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

This is why Tannenbaum doesn't have a NFL job!! 

Thank you!  Yesterday on NFL Live, they were discussing the future of Russell Wilson and Tannenbaum suggested that the Jets should sign him to be Rodgers backup! He was serious!  When the other 3 panelists reminded him that Hackett was still the OC on the Jets...and that it was a disaster when the two of them were on Denver...he still thought it was a good idea.  Hannah Storm ended the segment thanking Tannenbaum for the good laugh!

I swear people wanna trade Diggs just to have something to talk about. It's that drought mentality we suffered with for so many years. Diggs is still a number 1 receiver. Trading him away right now would only set this franchise back. We're in a win now situation. We're not building for the future (although to some extent teams are always doing that). We need to draft high round receivers (I want 2 personally). Surround Allen with weapons 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The way the forum logic works is that every time someone respond to a thread, it "bumps" the thread up to the top of the page where more people see the thread and then click on it and post within it.

If *you* don't like a thread, here are your best options:

1) Don't click it. If you do not click on the thread title, you will not enter the thread. If you do not enter the thread, you won't have to be subjected to opinions that aggravate you so much.

2) If you don't have the willpower NOT to click the thread title, then the second best option is to NOT REPLY in the thread. Every time you reply in a thread you hate, you push it back towards the top of the page. If your goal is to make it go away, you should do the opposite of what you have done nearly 10 times in this thread - reply.

I hope I was able to help.

Or...simply get rid of the cryptic nonsense in your title and just name the thread appropriately to be "Could the Bills trade Diggs if the right trade was available" or something than falsely painting Diggs in a negative light despite his very NON cryptic matter of fact statements that he wants to retire a Bill, hopes to remain here, and that Josh is family.  

You take no responsibility for manufacturing a false narrative for clicks...nor any responsibility for the many posters who now have this false idea Diggs wants to be traded and is cryptically trying to force his way out.  In fact that nonsense has already reared its head in other threads now and will do so all year.  

So someone has to remind people about the disservice you do the board when posting false narratives that spread false info across the board for your own LAMP post.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Or...simply get rid of the cryptic nonsense in your title and just name the thread appropriately to be "Could the Bills trade Diggs if the right trade was available" or something than falsely painting Diggs in a negative light despite his very NON cryptic matter of fact statements that he wants to retire a Bill, hopes to remain here, and that Josh is family.  

You take no responsibility for manufacturing a false narrative for clicks...nor any responsibility for the many posters who now have this false idea Diggs wants to be traded and is cryptically trying to force his way out.  In fact that nonsense has already reared its head in other threads now and will do so all year.  

So someone has to remind people about the disservice you do the board when posting false narratives that spread false info across the board for your own LAMP post.  

Sigh. You are your own worst enemy.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

no trades...

I want Diggs and Mike Evans lined up at WR next year for the Bills, with a 1st or 2nd round rookie and Shakir as well, and maybe a proven decent vet guy like Beasley was when we signed him.

Diggs

Mike Evans
Thomas Jr / Franklin / Legette / AD Mitchell / Worthy
Shakir
Curtis Samuel

Shorter

YES.   Will never happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Sigh. You are your own worst enemy.

That is rich coming from you lol...especially for someone who is obviously desperate to be taken serious around here after lots of previous nonsense yet can't help himself and revert back to nonsense like gas lighting and manipulating a narrative while ignoring the facts.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs

Mike Evans
Shakir
Curtis Samuel

Shorter

Evans would be interesting, but I don't think they are going to go after any of the bigger WR names.  Not only do we have a WR1 still in Diggs, but Shakir is set to take a large WR role this year and Kincaid showed he was worth the hype.  Between those 2, we already have a strong first 3 reads for Allen.  This draft is very WR heavy, so I think they are going to go after a rookie who can start opposite Diggs early in the draft with the potential to become a WR1 to succeed Diggs, then add another prospect somewhere else in the draft.

I do think they will still bring in a vet, maybe 2 and Samuel is the type of Vet I can see them bringing in (not saying it will be him specifically).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs

Mike Evans
Shakir
Curtis Samuel

Shorter

I hope he proves me wrong but Shorter has the feel of one of those high-ceiling prospects that never pans out.

• Like (+1) 2

Oh joy! This thread is back. 

He's not going anywhere this season. After 2024 - it's an option.

It would cost us extra money and less in compensation to do it this year. We're not going to bite off our nose to spite our face when we can just wait a year.

Especially in a year where we have to replace upwards of half of our WR core already and are so far in the red. We're approximately 54m over this year. Next year, we're 26.6m under the cap.

We'll Draft a guy this year in Round 1. He'll take some coverage and pressure away from Diggs. Which will allow him to play more like himself and not get as burned to the wick as quickly. 

We'll probably double dip in the later rounds to provide insurance ala Elam and Benford in 2022. Let those guys get a year of experience under them and groom them under an all time great.

Then, if those guys take off immediately, we can move Diggs' contract if we feel we no longer need him. It will cost us less, the opposing team won't have as much to take on which will yield us more in a trade, and we'll be in a better shape capwise, and hopefully roster wise, that it won't hurt us nearly as much.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Oh joy! This thread is back. 

He's not going anywhere this season. After 2024 - it's an option.

It would cost us extra money and less in compensation to do it this year. We're not going to bite off our nose to spite our face when we can just wait a year.

Especially in a year where we have to replace upwards of half of our WR core already and are so far in the red. We're approximately 54m over this year. Next year, we're 26.6m under the cap.

We'll Draft a guy this year in Round 1. He'll take some coverage and pressure away from Diggs. Which will allow him to play more like himself and not get as burned to the wick as quickly. 

We'll probably double dip in the later rounds to provide insurance ala Elam and Benford in 2022. Let those guys get a year of experience under them and groom them under an all time great.

Then, if those guys take off immediately, we can move Diggs' contract if we feel we no longer need him. It will cost us less, the opposing team won't have as much to take on which will yield us more in a trade, and we'll be in a better shape capwise, and hopefully roster wise, that it won't hurt us nearly as much.

How does it cost us extra money to do it this year?

My understanding is that, on the whole, it saves us more money to get it done this year.

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

My understanding is that, on the whole, it saves us more money to get it done this year.

Diggs' dead-cap hit this season would be higher then what we're actually paying him.  It would quite literally cost us more to get rid of him.

18 hours ago, FireChans said:

He has a $27.8M cap hit if he is on the team. Or a $31M dead cap hit if we move him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

Next year his cap hit will be $27.3M on the team, or $22.2M is we move him.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You tell me. I'm also curious to know how this little contract tidbit affects those numbers:

• 2024 salary fully guarantees 03/17/2024

And moving on from him post 6/1 jams up the dead cap next season. 2024 is the first year of his extension, there is virtually no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without killing the Cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You tell me. I'm also curious to know how this little contract tidbit affects those numbers:

• 2024 salary fully guarantees 03/17/2024

03/17/2024 → 6/1/2024

2024 Dead Cap: $49,596,000 2024

Cap Savings: $-21,742,000

Post 6/1 release:

2024 Dead Cap: $8,849,0002025

Dead Cap: $22,247,0002024

Cap Savings: $19,005,000

they make a special point to delineate the 2024 salary guaranteeing on 3/17 but still giving the 6/1 date after. 

So….

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

03/17/2024 → 6/1/2024

Post 6/1 release:

they make a special point to delineate the 2024 salary guaranteeing on 3/17 but still giving the 6/1 date after. 

So….

It’s been discussed on Locked On/Cover 1 at length, there is no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without eating an absolute ungodly amount of dead cap. Take a listen if you want, they explain it better than I can.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s been discussed on Locked On/Cover 1 at length, there is no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without eating an absolute ungodly amount of dead cap. Take a listen if you want, they explain it better than I can.

Not to sound arrogant, but I don’t find those guys to have as trustworthy opinions as others do. 

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

03/17/2024 → 6/1/2024

Post 6/1 release:

So….

But then what is the 2025 dead cap number you are kicking down the road? That money doesnt just disappear because you wait until June 1.

I'm also not really following your numbers or how you have them laid out as it pertains to releasing/trading Diggs and his cap numbers.

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And moving on from him post 6/1 jams up the dead cap next season. 2024 is the first year of his extension, there is virtually no way to move on from Diggs the next 2 seasons without killing the Cap. 

We can do it in 2025 to save $5M. But I have to think $5M isnt worth losing a player like Diggs over.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Oh they are homers for sure, but I dig it.

If I need some Buffalo Bills doom and gloom, I just come here lol

What really turned me off of Cover1 was them carrying water for Dorsey all season pointing to his EPA/play etc etc; until he got fired, then doing a complete 180 and talking about how had a lack of feel for calling a game, and calling a series and the chess match stuff.

Neither take is necessarily bad (despite my personal opinions) but I find very little value in takes that change with the wind.  If they lack conviction, then they are just saying stuff they think people want to hear.

This calls their objectivity into question. Even in their Diggs' contract takes (which I begrudgingly listened to), they start off talking about how he still has value, how he's still a WR1, how they think he's very valuable to the Bills, then talk about how his contract is "unmovable."  Are they saying that because they actually believe it, or because they want it to be true?

Once that question needs to be asked, you aren't worth my time.