2024 WR Draft Class

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A LT to protect their new franchise QB. Unless I'm forgetting something they don't have a starting caliber LT on their roster. Plus they have another 2nd at #40 and two other 3rds (#67 & #78) so they have picks to burn. Getting a franchise LT on a 1st round rookie contract, and jumping KC in the process to make sure they get their guy, would be good motivation to trade #100 and move up IMO.

Depends on a LT being there though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd be good with all sorts of combos!  I'd LOVE finding a way to get both Xavier's

Worthy at 28 or small trade up, then use the 2025 2nd and pick 60 to move way up in Round 2 for Legette 

You were right about the Diggs' rumors. It must have been bad, because short-term, it's a problem for the WR room.

The return was obviously the best they could do. Now, clearly, 2 early WR picks is more plausible.

• Agree 1

Looks like the "drafting WRs " game plan has shifted

significantly.

feels like this was not the plan a few months ago ?

McBeanes need two

and one needs to be a future 1A.

Samuel can 1b for awhile and Shakir gets more reps :)

The draft board has changed for the Bills. Wow.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd be good with all sorts of combos!  I'd LOVE finding a way to get both Xavier's

Worthy at 28 or small trade up, then use the 2025 2nd and pick 60 to move way up in Round 2 for Legette 

Sounds very sexy

I want a twosome this draft. WRs that is :)

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think my preferred option would be trading back with Washington to get their 3rd rounder this year. Take best WR available at pick 36, then use one of next year's 2nds to trade up in the 2nd round for another top 50 WR. Come away with two of these players - Legette, Franklin, Coleman, Mitchell, Worthy, McConkey. That looks amazing on paper. Depending on how the rookies perform it's decently possible we would immediately have a better WR room than we had last year.

This is also quite attractive. Same themes just another way to get there

and yea we would. be better next year and beyond

pick the correct WRs and win big prizes :)

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep.

Option 1: Trade up big, giving up next year's #1, one of next year's #2s and some mid round picks and get into the top 10 for one of the consensus top 3;

Option 2: Trade up smaller giving up one of next year's #2s and a mid round pick for (most likely) Thomas;

Option 3: Take an X receiver at #28 (likely Mitchell or Legette) and a Z type / move receiver at #60;

Option 4: Take a Z type / move receiver at #28 (likely Ladd or Worthy) and trade up in round 2 giving up one of next year's #2s for an X receiver (likely Legette or Coleman) in the 40s.

I think we are going to see one of those 4 options. 

@GunnerBill I'll have a double-portion of Option 4, with a side of chips & malt vinegar, please!

• Agree 1

Trade all the way up.  Go up after a sliding Thomas or Udunze.  Wait and take Leggette.  Those are the choices imo.  Needing an early contributor imo changes the equation for me on who to take.  Need someone capable of a good amount of snaps and able to play outside consistently.  

Time will tell, as it always does, as to who made the best choices. Early rankings are nothing more than guesses based on their college careers. There were 4 wide receivers drafted in front of Justin Jefferson (Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy and Raegor). Happens every year so hoping everything works out for Beane and the Bills. Go Bills!🏈🍻

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Nabers was the very 1st player Josh mentioned when he listed the WR’s in this draft class. Could be a tell of who he wants most

(A) Nabers is my choice too, but he may go to LAC at #5 after Harrison goes #4 to ARI.  If he last to #6. Beane should have a deal in place with his old friend Schoen:

#6 to BUF

#28, 2025 1st and 2025 2nd (prob the one just acquired) and a 5th in 2024 and 5th in 2025 to NYG

A lot to give up but Nabers is worth it

(B) Alternatively, my second favorite idea is drafting my man crush McConkey at #28 (not a sure thing he lasts to #28 though) and either moving up in the 2nd round or standing pat (depending if there's a run on the 2nd tier receivers) to get Franklin, Legette, Polk, Coleman, Wilson, Worthy, Burton, Walker (whomever they like best)

(C) a small trade up for Thomas JR if he slides to late teens is what I think Beane does.  #28 and 2025 2nd to move up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

They go into WR draft prospects in this, after initially talking about the Diggs trade. Cosell has some good takes on both the trade & WR draft prospects.

This is what I’ve been saying from the beginning as it pertains to not needing a traditional X. I understand the want for it but this is 2024 football not 1990 football. Cosell lays it out perfectly. Offenses use interchangeable parts that can play inside or outside and make a defense prepare for personnel and formations. 

This is why I said I expected Samuel to play outside with Diggs on the roster and he is definitely going to play more out there now. This is why I have been a huge McConkey guy. He’s a guy you can line up everywhere and find success and his strength is route running and getting open. 

• Like (+1) 6

33 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This is what I’ve been saying from the beginning as it pertains to not needing a traditional X. I understand the want for it but this is 2024 football not 1990 football. Cosell lays it out perfectly. Offenses use interchangeable parts that can play inside or outside and make a defense prepare for personnel and formations. 

This is why I said I expected Samuel to play outside with Diggs on the roster and he is definitely going to play more out there now. This is why I have been a huge McConkey guy. He’s a guy you can line up everywhere and find success and his strength is route running and getting open. 

While Cosell is right I think a lot of that is the proliferation of the Shanahan style offense which is a very horizontal offense. I don't love Josh Allen's horizontal game. The Bills have to be a bit more vertical because it is what Josh does best. He throws the 15-25 yard downfield strike better than anyone else in the league. That necessitates at least one receiver who is a true outside option who can win vertically and get off press. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My money is on Ladd.  He is Diggs, without Diggs younger long ball ability.   Ladd will absolutely torch you from 5 - 15 yards.  

They need to figure out the long ball still, but lets be honest with ourselves, Allen's long ball ability isn't very good.  Should we really be looking for a long ball WR if Allen struggles with accuracy on the long ball?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

My money is on Ladd.  He is Diggs, without Diggs younger long ball ability.   Ladd will absolutely torch you from 5 - 15 yards.  

They need to figure out the long ball still, but lets be honest with ourselves, Allen's long ball ability isn't very good.  Should we really be looking for a long ball WR if Allen struggles with accuracy on the long ball?

I think McConkey can be the “go to” money guy, in the same way Beasley and Edelman were. However I think McConkey will be a better YAC dude.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Allen's long ball accuracy is indeed spotty. He can do better. Get him the right receiver(s) and imo his accuracy will improve. You have to make productive use of that arm. 

Of course bombs are fun but they are in any event low completion playcalls. The credible threat to take the top off at any time can however do a lot for your O underneath.

• I'm not confident about Brian Thomas Jr., AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy and Keon Coleman. 
  • Burton is a very good receiver but I doubt he's on our board. 
  • I like Troy Franklin
  • Wilson and McConkey and Legette are really interesting 

Tangential, @GunnerBill do you have a preferred WR-separation metric (burns?) and ranking of receivers based on that criteria?

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sestak4ever said:

I think McConkey can be the “go to” money guy, in the same way Beasley and Edelman were. However I think McConkey will be a better YAC dude.

McConkey plays nothing like Beasley or Edelman.  He is more Diggs than those smaller slot WR guys.

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Allen's long ball accuracy is indeed spotty. He can do better. Get him the right receiver(s) and imo his accuracy will improve. You have to make productive use of that arm. 

Of course bombs are fun but they are in any event low completion playcalls. The credible threat to take the top off at any time can however do a lot for your O underneath.

Don't agree with this.  There has been countless times where the WR was wide opened and Allen just straight up missed the guy.  What else do you want the WR to do.  I go back to the Miami game.  Allen completely misses Diggs wide opened deep, and on a deep ball Diggs does catch in London, it was terrible placement.

Edited by Back2Buff
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

I really think it’s going to be McConkey in the first. Defense with our 2nd and our third pick being another wideout after moving up in the 3rd. 

maybe he'll be great.....but we already have Shakir and Kincaid.   I want a big guy with elite speed whose presence scares players 

Correct me if wrong, weren't Ladd's #'s really poor against press man?  We already have a team of zone beaters.  We need guys who can win vs man 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

16 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Apologies if this has been posted.

They are surprisingly high on Franklin.

Burton is rated as a first round talent "but an off field lunatic"

Can't wait to see who they take.

Outside of the top 4 wouldn't mind a small trade back into the 2nd to grab WR there. Would love to come away with Brian Thomas Jr. but long shot at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m hearing that Ladd is too redundant to Shakir, Samuel, and Kincaid, but I’m not sure you can have too many receivers who can create separation in the slot. That’s the type of receiver who Allen loves throwing to and takes advantage of Allen’s huge arm with low risk.  Only a rare-arm strength QBs can make a living off of throwing to receivers who they see open.  

7 hours ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Probation and a morals clause $$z

Got rid of a future HOF WR1 past his healthy so why not dump more money that we were not supposed to have for a future HOF edge rusher.  A guy can deal.  😈

32 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I’m hearing that Ladd is too redundant to Shakir, Samuel, and Kincaid, but I’m not sure you can have too many receivers who can create separation in the slot. That’s the type of receiver who Allen loves throwing to and takes advantage of Allen’s huge arm with low risk.  Only a rare-arm strength QBs can make a living off of throwing to receivers who they see open.  

McConkey lined up on the outside for 70% of his snaps with UGA. I'd love the pick, but they'd still have to add a big X. Someone like Mitchell or Legette.

maybe he'll be great.....but we already have Shakir and Kincaid.   I want a big guy with elite speed whose presence scares players 

Correct me if wrong, weren't Ladd's #'s really poor against press man?  We already have a team of zone beaters.  We need guys who can win vs man 

Agree 👍 

3 hours ago, Bill51390 said:

I really think it’s going to be McConkey in the first. Defense with our 2nd and our third pick being another wideout after moving up in the 3rd. 

I fully agree with this. I'd love McConkey, Defense, Brenden Rice.

I think McConkey is the WR most likely to provide big contributions from Day 1.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

McConkey lined up on the outside for 70% of his snaps with UGA. I'd love the pick, but they'd still have to add a big X. Someone like Mitchell or Legette.

Which to me is the crux of the issue of McConkey to me. He's someone who's going to go somewhere between where we're picking and 40. He's not my first or second choice for who we'll have a shot at in Round 1 and he's not someone who will be available for our 2nd pick - without giving up prime '25 assets to go from 60 to the area he'll be taken in.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Which to me is the crux of the issue of McConkey to me. He's someone who's going to go somewhere between where we're picking and 40. He's not my first or second choice for who we'll have a shot at in Round 1 and he's not someone who will be available for our 2nd pick - without giving up prime '25 assets to go from 60 to the area he'll be taken in.

That's right. I think one of the seconds next year might be in play if they attempt this route. They might go big and try and get one of the top 3. I think Thomas will likely be expensive now, too. If they don't, this is my preferred strategy. And I just like McConkey better than most. I think he's a contributor right out of the box, and a perfect match with Kincaid. 

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That's right. I think one of the seconds next year might be in play if they attempt this route. They might go big and try and get one of the top 3. I think Thomas will likely be expensive now, too. If they don't, this is my preferred strategy. And I just like McConkey better than most. I think he's a contributor right out of the box, and a perfect match with Kincaid. 

If they are to trade one of our 2nd's next year, I would hope it would be for someone like Brian Thomas Jr. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a big trade up for the Top 3 - I just think the cost would be far too great for someone like Beane to do for a position other than QB. Thomas to me represents the likely Top Trade up option. One of the top 4 WR's are the only ones I'd be willing to give up prime '25 Draft Capital for.

I don't know that I'm personally interested in giving up 60 plus a '25 2nd for a 2nd WR like McConkey or Franklin. Especially the pick we got for Diggs. And I don't know that our 2nd plus a '25 2nd is even enough to get to where he's going to be selected. 

I'd rather keep both 2nd Rounders next year and select someone like Wilson, Polk, Pearsall, McMillan, Burton, or Baker at 60 as the Double Dip. That's just me though.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think now that we need a WR who can legit compete from Day 1, our draft strategy may change a bit.

I see AD Mitchell, Franklin, Legette, & even Brian Thomas Jr as somewhat raw (to varying degrees) & in need of development- the type of guys who won't really come alive the last 6-8 games of their rookie year. I think McConkey is pro-ready now & could put up a Puka-like rookie season in our offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

That guy on Joe Marinos show convinced me, take Legette. 

Yep unless I trade the farm for the top 3, in draft McConkey at 28 and trade up on the 2nd to take legette

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 947 said:

I think now that we need a WR who can legit compete from Day 1, our draft strategy may change a bit.

I see AD Mitchell, Franklin, Legette, & even Brian Thomas Jr as somewhat raw (to varying degrees) & in need of development- the type of guys who won't really come alive the last 6-8 games of their rookie year. I think McConkey is pro-ready now & could put up a Puka-like rookie season in our offense.

I think Burton is a WR1 ready to contribute....and I hate that I firmly believe he's going to the Chiefs.

• Agree 1