Bills Offensive Coordinator Interviews have started according to Jeremy Fowler

JoeF

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t think Josh threw 18 picks because he was in his comfort zone, I think the opposite is true.

My biggest concerns with Brady are the lack of production from everyone but Shakir and Kincaid, and the steep decline in playaction, which unlocks a whole level of elite Josh Allen play. 

I’m talking more about his comfort zone off the field … 

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Am I the only one that doesn't want Brady?  I was fine with giving him an opportunity, but the passing game was really bad under him.  Like it takes a special coordinator to see that big of a drop off in Diggs.  Brady's only solution to Diggs was screen passes.  Is that the coordinator you want?

He was fired in Carolina.

He gets way too much credit for that LSU offense.  He wasn't even the sole OC.   He was so new in the position, my guess he was more of a coffee runner at LSU.

definiteky not a coffee runner at lsu. That claim really tanks the entire post.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I said this in another post:

Joe Brady ran a Ken Dorsey modified version of Brian DaBoll’s offense. 

If Brady gets the job he’ll do his own thing, which is what Dorsey should have done. 

Except that they let Josh rule the roost and he didn't want the system to change

Just now, drummernut74 said:

Except that they let Josh rule the roost and he didn't want the system to change

Input from your QB is a bad thing? You fit the scheme to the players, not the other way around. 

Bills offensive scheme will be vastly different in 2024, the DaBoll style is officially gone (not that it was a bad offense) 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think anyone that legitimately thinks the job isn't Brady's is fooling themselves. We will see a couple more candidates brought in to fill the Rooney Rule. Maybe one or two others to say "see it was a legit search" and the job will go to Brady. 

And if Brady fails McDermott will probably be fired next off-season.

If I’m Sean, I make this choice like my job is on the line as well as others within the organization. Because, quite frankly, it should be on the line.

• Agree 1

Honestly, I thought for the position Brady was put in, he did a heckuva job. If we have to keep McDermott, I’m actually OK keeping Brady. I think, giving him a full off-season and some better weapons he would do some good things. I never felt like the offense was stale With his playcalling. Would I take a Matt Lafleur instead? Yes for sure but I think we could do a lot worse than Brady. I can’t say the same thing about our head coach.

Edited by NeverOutNick

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Josh vouched for Dorsey too, and that didn’t go so well, it’s good to get his opinion of course, but he should not be the deciding factor for who gets the job, jmo. 

Difference is he saw one as a playcaller before he endorsed and one he did not

36 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You making this stuff up?  Josh had his best season ever for yards after catch - just under 200 yards.  He was 6th in the league.  

Making stuff up? That YAC from WRs dramatically dropped the second half of the season…

The only one after Cinci/Denver was Shakir. 

A RB for YAC is a gimme as most of it is a dump off with them having momentum.

My point was about being wide open for YAC where they aren’t having to break a tackle to do so. 

Edited by BBFL

1 minute ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Difference is he saw one as a playcaller before he endorsed and one he did not

True enough, but the vast majority of the time any OC/play caller with out a half season audition is not seen before they get the job…, 

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here is my 2,000 words on Kliff.....

16598318318074.jpg

Maybe that would get Josh to up his lady game a bit, if nothing else.

Jump off that kliff 10 times out of 10…

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the usage of Diggs by Brady concerns me.   He was targeted wayyy too many times behind the line or a few yards past it near the sideline. That's not his strength.  

I found this interesting too.  But my thought was more that Allen was dealing with an injury and that his deeper ball wasn't as easy due to it.  SO, what better way to still get the ball into your #1 WR hands?  Line of scrimmage passes.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

16598318318074.jpg

I’m quoting just to spam the photo again…

But Josh is good. Hailee ain’t no Mrs. Wilfork

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

16598318318074.jpg

Supposedly he has a really cool house.  Not sure if it’s in those pictures or not, I can’t seem to see it.

• Haha (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It'll probably be Brady, but I hope they get a good look at offensive minds around the league.

Yes Rooney rule.

Apparently rooney rule is voided if they put it in his contract before thatd he would be OC in waiting like New England did with Mayo

27 minutes ago, Beast said:

And if Brady fails McDermott will probably be fired next off-season.

If I’m Sean, I make this choice like my job is on the line as well as others within the organization. Because, quite frankly, it should be on the line.

I think the failure bar is very high for McD as well. 

I can see a situation where the OC we hire this year will be the HC we look to hire next year. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

But Josh is good. Hailee ain’t no Mrs. Wilfork

Eh, she's OK.   Everyone has different priorities.

She has her own money and a career that keeps her occupied........those are her most attractive features from my perspective.

But they also seem to align with the priorities of off-season vacation Josh.

I'd just rather see Josh find a no-doubter and settle down so he feels compelled by circumstance to go to work instead of a different golf course every day.

Worked for Mahomes and Brady.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eh, she's OK.   Everyone has different priorities.

She has her own money and a career that keeps her occupied........those are her most attractive features from my perspective.

But they also seem to align with the priorities of off-season vacation Josh.

I'd just rather see Josh find a no-doubter and settle down so he feels compelled by circumstance to go to work instead of a different golf course every day.

Worked for Mahomes and Brady.

I would not wish Mahomes’ wife on my worst enemy, but if I were Josh I would take the Joe Namath/Wilt Chamberlain approach to that side of life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I like Brady and I won't be mad if he is retained as OC.  I just hope they do a serious search and not just hand him the job like they did Dorsey.

If nothing else, it helps you self-scout. What ideas do other smart people have for you? What do they see when they watch us? What did we do right and wrong in their eyes? You may be able to learn some valuable things. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Ensminger was way more than the run game coordinator, he was the OC before Brady got there.  He was the one doing all the play calling for LSU.

He commanded the explosive offensive attack in 2019 that resulted in several school records and a national championship.

From a coaching standpoint, he’s the best. From game-planning to play-calling, Steve was outstanding. He developed our players on the field and he helped mold them into young men off the field. I can’t thank Steve enough for his loyalty and his willingness to do whatever was asked of him.”

https://www.wafb.com/2020/12/22/lsu-offensive-coordinator-steve-ensminger-retires-field-coaching-transitions-into-analyst-role/

Did you really just base your argument on kind words spoken at his retirement?

I lived in NOLA and watched almost every TIgers game between 2017 and 2022. Ensminger was interim OC after Les Myles was fired, TE's coach in 2017, and was OC for the 2018 season. That offense, with Burrow, was not explosive. Burrow threw for 2800+ yds and 16 TDs. Because the passing game was so unimpressive, Ogeron went to Sean Payton and inquired about someone who could help implement a pro-style offense, and he recommended Joe Brady, who was widely regarded in the area as the reason Burrow threw for 5600+ yds and 60 TDs. Granted, he was throwing to Justin Jefferson and J'Marr Chase with Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Leonard Fournette in the backfield, and Randy Moss's son at TE, but he had the same weapons in 2018.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

You can find those guys reasonably priced on the market.  I was only partially serious

But, I do want WR x 2  in Rounds 1-3   

Got ya. I want a WR too. They just have so many needs and aging players at important positions.  Beane needs to have an all time great draft. 

So, has anyone heard anything on this other than Joe Brady??

inquiring minds want to know…

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

definiteky not a coffee runner at lsu. That claim really tanks the entire post.

He was the passing game coordinator I believe, for a team that passed extremely efficiently and broke every NCAA record. 

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So, has anyone heard anything on this other than Joe Brady??

inquiring minds want to know…

They’ll leak as they happen, we have to wait…

Maybe Reich would be willing to consider one last run, after all this is Buffalo. Return of the K-gun, renamed the J-something. It would immediately spark the fanbase. Next year when he becomes interm head coach mid-season it would be just the story line the NFL would be looking for to carry us to the Super Bowl. He won a Super Bowl as OC and put us in one as a QB. 

• Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

One low key interesting storyline to the OC/DC search.

McD may be hiring his successor, could that impact who he hires? Frank Reich and Eric Washington aren’t replacing him…

In that case, McD should hire Bill Belichick.

😀

Edited by Peter
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, transient said:

Did you really just base your argument on kind words spoken at his retirement?

I lived in NOLA and watched almost every TIgers game between 2017 and 2022. Ensminger was interim OC after Les Myles was fired, TE's coach in 2017, and was OC for the 2018 season. That offense, with Burrow, was not explosive. Burrow threw for 2800+ yds and 16 TDs. Because the passing game was so unimpressive, Ogeron went to Sean Payton and inquired about someone who could help implement a pro-style offense, and he recommended Joe Brady, who was widely regarded in the area as the reason Burrow threw for 5600+ yds and 60 TDs. Granted, he was throwing to Justin Jefferson and J'Marr Chase with Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Leonard Fournette in the backfield, and Randy Moss's son at TE, but he had the same weapons in 2018.

Read this article and it sounds awfully familiar to what we seen in Buffalo in the few weeks.

A lot of people forget that he wasn't the offensive coordinator at LSU, he was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, thus meaning he has never had full control of an offense before. Looking back on it, you could argue that those star players that he had at LSU were the sole reason he earned an opportunity with Rhule and the Panthers in the first place. Sometimes players make a coach look better than he really is.

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/a-look-at-why-the-joe-brady-experiment-failed

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Read this article and it sounds awfully familiar to what we seen in Buffalo in the few weeks.

A lot of people forget that he wasn't the offensive coordinator at LSU, he was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, thus meaning he has never had full control of an offense before. Looking back on it, you could argue that those star players that he had at LSU were the sole reason he earned an opportunity with Rhule and the Panthers in the first place. Sometimes players make a coach look better than he really is.

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/a-look-at-why-the-joe-brady-experiment-failed

So you're backpedaling from coffee runner, to never called plays, to never called a full offense... but was the passing game coordinator, which is what I said to begin with. Maybe instead of continuing to guess about what his role was and making yourself look even less informed on Brady's time at LSU, you could accept it straight from the horse's mouth...

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/longformarticle/lsu-tigers-football-national-championship-game-clemson-2020-new-orleans-steve-ensminger-interview-142080486/#1354787

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.