Can We End This Nonsense About Homefield Advantage Now?

KDIGGZ

All we have heard the past 3 seasons is how we need to get the #1 seed and make KC come to Buffalo. After last night's game, can we finally put that myth to bed?

The only pre-requisite to winning the Superbowl is making the playoffs. It shouldn't matter if you are the #1 or the #7 seed. The goal should be to be playing your best football at the end of the season and have your team healthy.

Division titles don't matter. Nobody cares except for the NFL in creating fake storylines where such and such teams are hated rivals. They are all rivals and they all want to beat each other.

We had a home field advantage the past 2 post seasons and we have lost the past 2 post seasons. Whatever fake home field advantage they think we have is a myth and there's a ton of things much more important such as being healthy, executing at a high level, and limiting mistakes. They need to re-prioritize their goals and objectives.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 10
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

It's because our coach sh**ts his pant in these games. 

He's also never won on the road in the play offs, so I believe you are wrong. 

So if the Chiefs beat the Ravens, is John Harbaugh suddenly the one who "sh**ts his pant in these games", the very same man that won a Super Bowl?!?!?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think this season really showed us how important that #1 seed really is. Mostly because of the Bye week.

Just think, we beat the Jets, Pats, and Broncos like we should have and we are in that #1 spot. And instead of Bernard, Benford, Spector, Rapp etc all getting injured against the Steelers, all our guys are home and resting and we actually get Davis back with the extra rest as well.

Look at the road the Ravens have to go: 1 easy home playoff game against a low-ranked opponent. Then the Conf Champ at home, and you're there.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So if the Chiefs beat the Ravens, is John Harbaugh suddenly the one who "sh**ts his pant in these games", the very same man that won a Super Bowl?!?!?

Has our coach won a SB?

Are you saying McDermott doesn’t fall short in big games? I can point to 2 this year and 5 really important ones in 5 years .. where HIS defense flopped. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Has our coach won a SB?

Are you saying McDermott doesn’t fall short in big games? I can point to 2 this year and 5 really important ones in 5 years .. where HIS defense flopped. 

Normally I am a it's McD's fault person, but NOT THIS TIME... our defense was at 50% and we almost beat Mahomes. They were a MASH unit out there, NO Tre, NO Milano, NO Bernard, Douglas clearly not at 100%, Taron Johnson just coming back right before the game... you are looking for some perfect defensive performance when it's not going to happen!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

All we have heard the past 3 seasons is how we need to get the #1 seed and make KC come to Buffalo. After last night's game, can we finally put that myth to bed?

The only pre-requisite to winning the Superbowl is making the playoffs. It shouldn't matter if you are the #1 or the #7 seed. The goal should be to be playing your best football at the end of the season and have your team healthy.

Division titles don't matter. Nobody cares except for the NFL in creating fake storylines where such and such teams are hated rivals. They are all rivals and they all want to beat each other.

We had a home field advantage the past 2 post seasons and we have lost the past 2 post seasons. Whatever fake home field advantage they think we have is a myth and there's a ton of things much more important such as being healthy, executing at a high level, and limiting mistakes. They need to re-prioritize their goals and objectives.

It's not the home field advantage.    It's the bye.

If you can't be the top team in your conference you can't expect to be the top team in the league.

These Bills have never had a bye.    

The only season the Chiefs have not made the SB in the last 4 is the season they had to play in the WC round.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Normally I am a it's McD's fault person, but NOT THIS TIME... our defense was at 50% and we almost beat Mahomes. They were a MASH unit out there, NO Tre, NO Milano, NO Bernard, Douglas clearly not at 100%, Taron Johnson just coming back right before the game... you are looking for some perfect defensive performance when it's not going to happen!

Exactly. Which is why we can't have the offense choke at the end for a 48 yard FG attempt.

44 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's also on McDermott putting AJ Klein on Kelce lol. Wish they had tried with Neal way sooner.

• Like (+1) 2

Homefield advantage is nice but did the Chiefs have a single false start, delay of game, or even miscommunication on offense? I can't stand Mahomes and Reid but they were ready. I know there's more to it than that but the Chiefs didn't seem phased. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think this season really showed us how important that #1 seed really is. Mostly because of the Bye week.

Just think, we beat the Jets, Pats, and Broncos like we should have and we are in that #1 spot. And instead of Bernard, Benford, Spector, Rapp etc all getting injured against the Steelers, all our guys are home and resting and we actually get Davis back with the extra rest as well.

Look at the road the Ravens have to go: 1 easy home playoff game against a low-ranked opponent. Then the Conf Champ at home, and you're there.

As #1 you are playing the worst team in seeds 4-7. #2 vs#3 probably kill each other off.  Generally the #4div winner is usually a 8-10 win team.  

you still need to execute your plays.

don’t forget….SF, the one seed got the lead around the same point in the game. 

tampa bay had the ball under 2 down 8.

the vulnerable 1 seeds are those in weak divisions with weak schedules 

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Homefield is nice against Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, Skyler Thompson, etc..  It's not nice vs excellent QBs like Mahomes and Burrow.

Last year was different. The team seemed just emotionally spent give all that happened.

yesterday it was small margins with a play here/ there.

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So .. 9 plays of 20+ yards,

and 9.5 yards PER PLAY is acceptable? GTFOH 

PS go look at the giants roster when they played us. We should have lost that game. They were down 6 starters on both sides of the ball and one was their QB. LOL This is the NFL, these are professional players and every team has injuries. 9+ 20 yard plays and AVERAGING a first down a play is unacceptable. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It was the worst defensive performance in Bills playoff history. We would’ve welcomed serviceable or mediocre. It wasn't that at all. All-time bad.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 2

Yes and I'll go as far as to say this '13 seconds' Bills would have won the Superbowl in 2021 crap needs to die once and for all as well.

Remember, JA17 played the best game of his career that day and it's the only reason the game was close and came down to that to begin with. But it was never some sort of fluke win by Mahomes and the Chiefs. The better team won and they didn't even make the superbowl that year and neither would the Bills have which might be similar scenario if Ravens pull the upset next week.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's such a disgusting advantage.

Home teams in the wild card round only won 47.8% of the time, and by a margin of 0.65.

Home teams in the divisional round won 75% of the time, with an average margin of 5.72 points per game.

Home teams in conference championships won 68.2% of the time, with an average margin of 8.2 points per game.

Data is from 2010-2020

I think it matters.  Especially to Bills Mafia. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, theRalph said:

1st and 10 at the +27 with 2:43 remaining. Zero points. Home field my ass.

I would say that had more to do with the players not executing.  Shakiir was open in the end zone.  Bass missed the kick.  Home field does have an advantage.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

I would say that had more to do with the players not executing.  Shakiir was open in the end zone.  Bass missed the kick.  Home field does have an advantage.  

McD cant throw catch or kick.  Useless. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I thought yesterday was a homefield disadvantage. The atmosphere was very tense/nervous throughout, almost expecting the inevitable dread. The Chiefs seemed to come together with the Us vs World mentality and had an extra level of focus they've been lacking throughout this long season. No presnap penalties, no offensive holding, basically a very clean game on offense.

4 hours ago, Governor said:

It was the worst defensive performance in Bills playoff history. We would’ve welcomed serviceable or mediocre. It wasn't that at all. All-time bad.

Name me ONE YEAR in which we lost as many defenders on a Bills team that we did and won a tough playoff game.

4 hours ago, warrior9 said:

So .. 9 plays of 20+ yards,

and 9.5 yards PER PLAY is acceptable? GTFOH 

PS go look at the giants roster when they played us. We should have lost that game. They were down 6 starters on both sides of the ball and one was their QB. LOL This is the NFL, these are professional players and every team has injuries. 9+ 20 yard plays and AVERAGING a first down a play is unacceptable. 

I'm sorry, so you're going back THAT FAR to prove a point?

Wow, you need some non peed on Cheerios before you post any more nonsense.

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

How about they build a team that's built for Buffalo weather!! They have the QB, now go get a RB. One that can push a pile instead of needing a hole to run through. Cook can serve as a complimentary back, IMO

10 hours ago, theRalph said:

1st and 10 at the +27 with 2:43 remaining. Zero points. Home field my ass.

Home field doesn’t score points. Good plays plus execution do. The Bills had neither in that final possession. Fwiw the home field didn’t help much where it typically does : when the opponent is on offense. Did it lead to a single false start ? Create communication issues that helped get the defense a sack ? The D was injured for sure, but 9+ ypp is an embarrassment. No one on the D line elevated their game , and that’s where this one was lost. They needed a perfect game on offense and had the perfect setup to run the clock down and score. The final sequence was not a great moment for Joe Brady. If they had scored with any significant time remaining the game was as good as lost. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, beebe said:

I thought yesterday was a homefield disadvantage. The atmosphere was very tense/nervous throughout, almost expecting the inevitable dread. The Chiefs seemed to come together with the Us vs World mentality and had an extra level of focus they've been lacking throughout this long season. No presnap penalties, no offensive holding, basically a very clean game on offense.

It wasn’t a disadvantage, the Bills defense was though. Almost 10 yards per play. No one on the DL made any big plays. That was going to be a requirement to make up for injuries on the back end. They cumulatively got an F. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Budkin said:

Also we were playing the defending champs with our defense decimated so there's that.

This really can’t be overstated. It’s the matchup that decided the game. KC scored almost at will. I think I had seen that their magic number this year was 20. If they scored that or less they lost . Over 21 and they won. We gave em 27 and it would have been more if they got the ball back needing to score. The offense almost pulled it off until the strange sequence of plays leading to the ( inevitable) Bass miss. Even if he’d made the kick I had little confidence that KC wouldn’t March down the field and win. Did anyone really think the Bills wouldn’t need to run the clock down to almost nothing to get a win? 

10 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Honestly ?  I think it’s Lamar that does…

but hey we will see 

think your about to see the chiefs go to yet ANOTHER Super Bowl becuase I don’t think Lamar can do it 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.