Don't Blame Bass

KDIGGZ

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Make the kick and do your one job 

Hes what a 5.5 million dollar kicker?

Would the bills have stopped Mahomes? Probably not but that's besides the point.

Your 5.5 million dollar kicker HAS to make that kick

That's besides the point? That's the whole point. Even if he makes it we lose the game. That's the entire point 

16 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Nobody should be blaming our bad kicker for being bad. Blame the coaches for putting him in that position knowing that he is bad. He was statistically one of the worst kickers in the entire league this year. The result was inevitable.

There's absolutely no reason why the offense went off their game plan instead of slowly and methodically continuing to march down the field and run the clock. For some reason Allen they started launching impossible throws down field rather than picking up 7-8 yards every play with Kincaid.

Even if Bass makes the kick (we knew he wouldn't) then the Chiefs have the ball with over a min left. You don't think Mahomes is going to get his guys in FG range when we didn't stop them at all the entire night? Again, don't blame Bass. This isn't his fault. We would have lost either way.

Fixed it for you.  Really doubt the coaches were telling Allen at the end of the last  drive to throw 2 long passes both on 2nd  and 3rd down.  I will agree that the runs by Cook in 4th quarter weren't working but they kept trying them anyway.

Also agree that if they made the kick with 1:47 left, likely KC had scored.

The Bills had no margin of error in this game, probably needed to score on every drive to cover up for all the injuries.  You can argue injuries are no excuse, but when down to multiple 4th stringers in playoff games, it will make a difference.  Having to rely on Klein to cover Kelsey because no on else is left isn't going to win games, but who else was left?

Overall, do agree with your thread though, don't blame Bass. 

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

That's besides the point? That's the whole point. Even if he makes it we lose the game. That's the entire point 

So because they probably wouldn't have stopped Mahomes, that's  an excuse for Bass to miss a 41 yard field goal is what you're saying?

Bass has never exuded confidence to me.  And he has not had a lot of pressure kicks that were not gimmes.  I think it is reasonable to judge the contract they gave him.   He should be expected to make that kick but I would also say they did not lose because of him.  

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Bass is a mental patient.  As a sympathetic human, I don’t “blame” him for looking shell shocked like he just came back from the front lines at Verdun.  But as a longtime fan of this team - Bass can go get f’d.

You should check out the dead cap situation. 

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

So because they probably wouldn't have stopped Mahomes, that's  an excuse for Bass to miss a 41 yard field goal is what you're saying?

I'm saying we would have lost make or miss. Needed to run the clock and get a TD there. No reason to be throwing 30 yard passes into the end zone when things were wide open underneath 

3 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

There are college kickers that would have made that kick 9 out of 10 time.  I bet you Bass misses 50% of them.

No contest the guy has to go too.

Like I said next year is a mini-rebuild time for this team.  They are too old.

Yes that meatball that played for Washington would have made it because that guy has confidence.  Bass was scared when he trotted out there and tightened up. The kick was really bad.

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

I'm saying we would have lost make or miss. Needed to run the clock and get a TD there. No reason to be throwing 30 yard passes into the end zone when things were wide open underneath 

I'm not disagreeing with that. But it's a team game .

You have to make that kick to give your team a chance.

There is 0 excuse for Bass 

I blame Bass for missing the kick, but the Chiefs were most likely going to score again even if he had made it.

I think that either the coaches did not have/impart the right strategy for the last drive, or Josh simply didn't execute it. The Bills should have absolutely tried to make their last drive the last possession of the game and either score a TD or a chip shot FG with minimal time remaining. There were opportunities on 2nd & 3rd down to get chunks of yardage to burn clock and force KC to use its two remaining timeouts, but instead Josh went for the home run each time. Even if we had gotten a TD on one of those throw, KC is most likely getting the ball back with ~90 seconds and 2 timeouts, which would have been a huge risk.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He's not.  7.4 mil in dead cap, no way Bills create a hole and take that cap hit plus what it would cost to sign a new kicker.

They must hold a legitimate competition and bring a serious kicking prospect into camp to push Bass.  He might be shot.   Mentally shot.  Push him to be better. 

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He's not.  7.4 mil in dead cap, no way Bills create a hole and take that cap hit plus what it would cost to sign a new kicker.

cap hell will wake some up in the off season

Just now, Bob in STL said:

They must hold a legitimate competition and bring a serious kicking prospect into camp to push Bass.  He might be shot.   Mentally shot.  Push him to be better. 

They might bring in a kicker, but he isn't getting cut. They can't afford to do it.

25 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Nobody should be blaming our bad kicker for being bad. Blame the coaches for putting him in that position knowing that he is bad. He was statistically one of the worst kickers in the entire league this year. The result was inevitable.

There's absolutely no reason why the offense went off their game plan instead of slowly and methodically continuing to march down the field and run the clock. For some reason they started launching impossible throws down field rather than picking up 7-8 yards every play with Kincaid.

Even if Bass makes the kick (we knew he wouldn't) then the Chiefs have the ball with over a min left. You don't think Mahomes is going to get his guys in FG range when we didn't stop them at all the entire night? Again, don't blame Bass. This isn't his fault. We would have lost either way.

Absolutely correct.

My question is who TF called that fake punt on our own 30? That was the Turing point for me. 

also diggs big drop was tough to swallow.

also Josh not throwing the ball to diggs for the first down and forcing it to shakir. 

it’s always 1 or 2 plays that determines the outcome, unfortunately we are always on the other end of it. 

good thing is that our roster is pretty solid for next year. Need a WR and then prolly a replacement for Hyde, beside that we are good to go in my opinion 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that. But it's a team game .

You have to make that kick to give your team a chance.

There is 0 excuse for Bass 

I'm not saying we don't need a kicker that can make that but he is what he is. He's a bottom of the barrel kicker. Knowing that, we needed to be smarter and put the game on Josh's shoulders. Designed QB runs if Cook isn't working or throws underneath. If we settle for a game tying FG with over a min left we are losing that game either way so I'm not mad at Bass for being bAss

Edited by KDIGGZ

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You should check out the dead cap situation. 

So after June 1 he should be cut and replaced with an average kicker. Just because cutting him causes dead cap, does not mean that we can afford to have a roster spot taken up by a kicker who can't kick. I'm assuming he's not injured, if he is hurt then try him out again next year.

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

I'm not saying we don't need a kicker that can make that but he is what he is. He's a bottom of the barrel kicker. Knowing that, we needed to be smarter and put the game on Josh's shoulders. Designed runs if Cook isn't working or throws underneath 

The problem is he isn't getting paid like one. Hes one of the top paid kickers in the league.

What would you have done there though, go for it on 4th and 9?

You have to take the points and bass has to make the kick to give your team a chance 

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

The problem is he isn't getting paid like one. Hes one of the top paid kickers in the league.

You have to take the points and bass has to make the kick to give your team a chance 

I wouldn't have run it 1 yard into the pile, thrown it 30 yards into the end zone, then thrown it 30 yards to nobody. I would have started with QB run/option, throw underneath to Diggs (maybe that was the play and Josh played hero ball), then throw to Kincaid over the middle when I saw how open the middle was. Maybe it's 4th and 1 at that point and yes we go for it

25 minutes ago, Mafioso said:

Regardless, we would have gotten dump trucked by the Ravens next week.  Team is super unhealthy at the worst possible time

Idk about that. Bills offense was going punch for punch with KC. Sadly our kicker choked wide right on a very makeable FG. Bernard and Davis would’ve likely been back for the Ravens. This was the year. 

• Like (+1) 2

We had the ball with 2 minutes and 2 timeouts.  We should've run a couple short plays to try and get a first down....at least run the clock down....and at worst Bass would have had an easier kick.  We had the game in our hands, and threw it away.  I don't blame Bass, but I think he should've made the kick.  Like another guy said, if he tied up the game, Mahomes and co. had at least 90 seconds and 2 time outs to get in field goal range.  Look what they did with 13 seconds.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Definitely wouldn’t have gone for it from where they were but the calls preceding it should have been looking to get that first down versus going for the TD there. If it was 4th and short I am going for the W there instead of tying it up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Bass is a mental patient.  As a sympathetic human, I don’t “blame” him for looking shell shocked like he just came back from the front lines at Verdun.  But as a longtime fan of this team - Bass can go get f’d.

Booth Lustig, a kicker from the 60’s,  got his ass kicked after a game, outside the rock pile, by Bills fans when he missed a big kick.   

Paul McGuire tells the story. 

18 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Idk about that. Bills offense was going punch for punch with KC. Sadly our kicker choked wide right on a very makeable FG. Bernard and Davis would’ve likely been back for the Ravens. This was the year. 

Wouldn't have mattered. Mahomes and the good kicker had a min and a half to win the game. We were not winning that game either way 

Just now, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

you dont know that. thats the point

And unicorns are real. Keep living in fairy tale land. 

When I look at the fame at a 1000 foot view it came down to some bunch of major individual mishaps like Klein in coverage, Diggs drops, defensive 4th stringers not holding up. 

But Bass is also one of those individual gaffes. And given his tenure I expect him to make a 44 yarder. At least give those guys on defense a chance. 

It isn’t right to blame Bass. But it’s not right to look over him either. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.