This is why our team is in good hands

Buffalo716

54 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

This is nonsense. This team had tons of support when they didn't make the playoffs for almost two decades.

Being a loyal fan doesn't mean you have to be a homer doofus who never criticizes anything.

Ok my opinion is nonsense - doesn't change it though

not sure if your attempting to throw an insult my way by calling me a homer doofus,- pointing out that not all fans are actually fans doesn't equate to not having fans that do support

We have a huge following and always have - there are without a doubt those who support us when not winning, most likely majority but please don't come at me stating that we do not have a bigger following when winning- 

Edited by BlazinBill
Added response

30 minutes ago, transient said:

"Jumping off the wagon" suggests that a "bandwagon fan" is no longer rooting for or supporting a team. I'm not suggesting that all people behaved sanely... I'm not suggesting that I behaved sanely... and I'm not suggesting that there weren't a few people who actually did "jump off the wagon", but I don't think that was the general reaction.

I'm typically fairly level-headed, but after that Denver loss and then the Eagles loss, I was... and may still be, depending on the results moving forward... on board with coaching changes. Others had stronger points of view... expressed with varying degrees of negativity and sanity. You may call my and other's points of view irrational, wrong, etc... and you may make points that some consider valid... but at the end of the day it is in no way indicative of me or others jumping off the wagon.

Now, if it was one of the classic "I'm soooo done with this team" posts and the person meant it, then, yes, there would appear to be a new open seat on the wagon.

Ok- I'm just going to restart here- my observation is based of generalization - not toward you specifically or anyone specifically on here for that matter- just how I see things- my statement was just how I feel- we see things differently is all that is happening - I'm ot saying your opinion is wrong or invalid 

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

pretty sure our stadium was packed during the drought years.  Dawkins was wrong for posting that stuff, IMO.  Doesn't make him a bad guy, but a mistake nonetheless.  

Sooo- stating how you feel in the moment about how  things make you feel is wrong and a mistake - got it- don't even disagree with you.

I personally never post during the game for that very reason as it's an emotional response and completely normal for any human being.

That logic implies everyone who overreacts with emotions on this board on game day is also wrong- last time Allen threw 2 picks in the first half a few weeks back the board melted and crashed the site

I also have never stated the stands were not filled during drought years- I've been going to games since 87 - but if your going to tell me that we don't have fans here that showed up after that I would simply disagree - that's it -  

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Technically, Whaley was the GM. But if you look at the 2017 Draft - the way in which it was handled, the type of players selected, and how quickly Whaley was let go after the Draft - it's pretty clear it was at most, just Whaley's board with McDermott selecting the guys he wanted.

Whaley bully loaded teams. He just didn’t get a qb. This Allen on the 2014 would be the top SB contenders. 

and Dawkins has grown on me. I know first hand he’s a great and fun dude. But I worried he loves the life and it doesn’t seem like he takes his conditioning as serious as you hope. But he has balled out this year and is a great leader for this team. 

7 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Would you fire him if he pulled another 13 seconds?

I think a lot of people here wouldn't. There's a lot of fans who think just making the playoffs, even if they are consistent Divisional Round exits where the coach makes blunders year after year is a success. 

There isn't really a right or wrong answer. If simply that makes people happy, that's what they're going to advocate for. 

I personally think the standard should be higher. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

But there is a pretty solid argument for that. Some of you act like there's no nuance there.

If we lose, McD will be 5-6 in the postseason overall and 0-3 vs the Chiefs including a home game against the weakest version of them we may see for a long time and one of those being a direct chokejob from him personally, assuming that doesn't happen again in Meeting 3. And 3 straight years of Divisional Round exits since hitting the apex back in 2020-21. 

It's not crazy...it's pretty logical. That would be a very disappointing body of work with an elite QB. 

The only coach I can really think of that had great regular season success and some but not a lot of playoff success that was fired is Marty schottenheimer and his playoff record was a heck of a lot worse than 5-6 lol historically this would be a near unheard of firing.  

People will say dungy but really that’s evidence we should keep McDermott honestly…gruden won a superbowl with dungys players that dungy likely wouldve won himself and when he finally wrestled control away from dungys guys he promptly ran the franchise straight into the ground 😂. They thought they had parcells lined up who changed his mind and they got stuck with gruden.  Then, the raiders were having no regular or postseason success and dungy won a superbowl with a different team

thats the danger for me, if you could line up a new coach before firing your current coach then yea its a much easier discussion.  But the way it works the odds are high the guy you want chooses a different team and you’re out a pretty good head coach that has perennially given you a shot to win it all.

the whole ‘we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet what do we have to lose’ argument makes no sense to me…there’s a lot to lose 

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Once again, they're a .500 team that has beaten one and only one playoff team all season, Miami, which again, probably says more about Miami than it does about KC.   We appear to be notably better than Miami.  

And once again, we're talking about our offense, not our back-7,  the latter part of which has been injured to one extent or another for two seasons now.   Poyer and Hyde are both fine, so I'm not sure I'd say decimated.  And yes, we might be down our 3 starting CBs, but that's doubtful as they're all listed as Questionable.  

Either way, that has nothing to do with whether we produce a balanced offensive game-plan or not.  

Sorry, but relying on a defense, at pretty much full strength, that allowed 24 points to a team led by a 7th-round rookie QB draftee in his third, and only second consecutive start, at home, in the snow and cold, and 27 points, 30 1st-Downs, and 412 yards the following week to a team featuring an backup OL, doesn't appear to be a wise thing to do, particularly when that same defense has worse season metrics than that prior defense.  

Offense will determine this game for us.  If all we can do is muster 14 offensive and need STs or D TDs to win this, then good luck to us.  

Having said that, hopefully Brady has come up with something a little more creative than merely allowing Josh to ad hoc everything and we'll produce a balanced attack with 150 plus in the rushing category against the league's 17th ranked yardage rushing D and 24th ranked yards-per-carry rushing D.  

Many of these discussions go on as if KC has no weaknesses.  They have plenty, to be exploited by those knowing how to do so, this season.  

To start, their rush D sucks.  Their WRs suck with the exception of the developing rookie Rice, Kelce's play has clearly diminished as should have been expected at his age of 34.  

The home crowd is going to be raucous and IMO the harshest yet for an opponent.  It's difficult to envision many Chiefs fans in attendance either.  

It's tough to envision them scoring much despite a few injured players that also might all play.  Against playoff teams during the entire season, the Chiefs have put up 14 & 26 offensive against Miami, 20 against Detroit, 17 against Philly, and 19 against Green Bay, and 17 against us.  That's an average of 19 PPG against playoff caliber competition, and of those defenses, we have the best, and it's hardly as if the others are barking up our rear in the rankings.  26, 20, 19, 17, 17, and 14.  

Philly has the 30th ranked scoring D, Detroit the 23rd, Miami the 22nd, Green Bay the 10th, and us the 4th.  

IOW, if we allow more than 20 points at home, with Mahomes having a difficult time hearing himself much less his team hearing him, and if we ourselves cannot put up at least that 20, then expect a fully justifiable cascade of criticism.  

Having said that, I expect our O to put up that 30+ in this game and KC to get sent home unceremoniously packing.  

GO BILLS!!!

Well obviously the more of those guys that play the better our chances. If Douglas, Taron and Bernard all play I feel pretty good about the Bills. The more of those 3 that miss the more even I think this game becomes. 

And the reason for that is the specific match ups in the football game. 

Where do I think they favour the Bills:

1. I think we should be able to run the ball some on the Chiefs and stay in good down and distance. I think the plan vs the Steelers of a balanced attack is probably the plan here. 

2. I think our outside corners, especially if Douglas is up, should be able to limit the Kansas City receivers and make enough of the catches contested to challenge their questionable separation skills and hands. 

3. I think Kincaid and Knox can really threaten their safeties down the seam. Again what we did last week seems to be a template for this game there too.

Where do I think they favour the Chiefs:

1. Certainly since mid-season when Leonard Floyd cooled off the Bills pass rush has gone as Ed Oliver has gone. He has been critical. And the Chiefs interior OL - GCG - is about the best in the league. Our edge guys have the advantage on their tackles but they gotta show me they cab make it count.

2. Their corners against our receivers. Sneed has had some success against Diggs before albeit at home where he might have got away with a holding call or two. But McDuffie inside will have a role against Shakir and potentially even on Kincaid and that is advantage them. If they can take Diggs and Kincaid away and try and make the Bills win with Sherfield, Knox and Shakir that becomes scary.

3. Depending on how healthy our second level is - so MLB, WLB, Nickel - I worry about Kelce, Pacheco and CEH there. They are really the guys they can rely on - especially the first two. If you guaranteed me we have Bernard, Dodson and Taron I worry less about this.

It isn't about stats on what they have or haven't done against other teams or what we have or haven't done against other teams it is about the Xs and Os of how these two teams match up. That is the NFL. I think if we are healthy enough on defense (especially 2nd level) we have the advantage. But if we are banged up there then I definitely see a way the Chiefs score high 20s at least.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The only coach I can really think of that had great regular season success and some but not a lot of playoff success that was fired is Marty schottenheimer and his playoff record was a heck of a lot worse than 5-6 lol historically this would be a near unheard of firing.  

People will say dungy but really that’s evidence we should keep McDermott honestly…gruden won a superbowl with dungys players that dungy likely wouldve won himself and when he finally wrestled control away from dungys guys he promptly ran the franchise straight into the ground 😂. They thought they had parcells lined up who changed his mind and they got stuck with gruden.  Then, the raiders were having no regular or postseason success and dungy won a superbowl with a different team

thats the danger for me, if you could line up a new coach before firing your current coach then yea its a much easier discussion.  But the way it works the odds are high the guy you want chooses a different team and you’re out a pretty good head coach that has perennially given you a shot to win it all.

the whole ‘we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet what do we have to lose’ argument makes no sense to me…there’s a lot to lose 

I don't see how he's perennially given us a shot to win it all though. We got blown out in the AFCCG 3 years ago, he himself choked away 2021 with 13 seconds, we got blown out last year, and if we lose this Sunday that would be 3 straight exits in the Divisional Round, which with an elite QB is a huge disappointment. This isn't a guy that's been knocking on the door of winning it.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Maybe they will bring in a coach that will practice on bye weeks?  That way the rest of the NFL knows were are serious about winning.

Or, practices at least some on the frozen field where the team will play on it.

1 hour ago, transient said:

"Jumping off the wagon" suggests that a "bandwagon fan" is no longer rooting for or supporting a team. I'm not suggesting that all people behaved sanely... I'm not suggesting that I behaved sanely... and I'm not suggesting that there weren't a few people who actually did "jump off the wagon", but I don't think that was the general reaction.

I'm typically fairly level-headed, but after that Denver loss and then the Eagles loss, I was... and may still be, depending on the results moving forward... on board with coaching changes. Others had stronger points of view... expressed with varying degrees of negativity and sanity. You may call my and other's points of view irrational, wrong, etc... and you may make points that some consider valid... but at the end of the day it is in no way indicative of me or others jumping off the wagon.

Now, if it was one of the classic "I'm soooo done with this team" posts and the person meant it, then, yes, there would appear to be a new open seat on the wagon.

Rereading my earlier post I can concede and say that I was wrong to state majority of fans here- that's my mistake- it's not a majority - 

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Did Shnowman just take a shot at Britney (Josh's Ex)? They asked about Josh and he said "I don't know what's different but when he leaves his house and comes to work he's happy. Whatever it is, whether it's talking to his parents or talking to his girl, whatever it is, he's different now."

i was trying to figure that out as well.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Spend 18 minutes of your day to listen to Dion Dawkins talk

When a lot of people were putting him down in the offseason...

This man is a true professional.. a humble human being.. wise... A great person... And a tremendous football player

He always gets better as the year goes on which is the Hallmark of a true professional player... Tons start hot and end soft

Dion always plays his best late in the year

And the way he speaks and his outlook on life is tremendous which I put to Sean McDermott in drafting him

He truly is an amazing person and I'm thankful he is a Buffalo Bill

Go Bills

Without saying it, he all but said, Josh's personal life last year had a major impact on him and this year it is having the opposite effect.  I think we can all read between the lines what this means.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Technically, Whaley was the GM. But if you look at the 2017 Draft - the way in which it was handled, the type of players selected, and how quickly Whaley was let go after the Draft - it's pretty clear it was at most, just Whaley's board with McDermott selecting the guys he wanted.

Lol. Even if true, "The board" is where all the work is. McDermott was hired 3 months before the draft as a first time head coach. He had no idea who Dion Dawkins was until he saw Whaley's board.

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Spend 18 minutes of your day to listen to Dion Dawkins talk

When a lot of people were putting him down in the offseason...

This man is a true professional.. a humble human being.. wise... A great person... And a tremendous football player

He always gets better as the year goes on which is the Hallmark of a true professional player... Tons start hot and end soft

Dion always plays his best late in the year

And the way he speaks and his outlook on life is tremendous which I put to Sean McDermott in drafting him

He truly is an amazing person and I'm thankful he is a Buffalo Bill

Go Bills

Does he get better as the season goes on because he uses the season to get into shape? I am asking for a friend

Just now, Prospector said:

Does he get better as the season goes on because he uses the season to get into shape? I am asking for a friend

Literally everybody overblew his fitness level in training camp

He Gets better as the season goes along because he finds a groove and gets into a routine 

There is a such thing as peaking too early... 

Everybody is trying to peek in December and January

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Literally everybody overblew his fitness level in training camp

He Gets better as the season goes along because he finds a groove and gets into a routine 

There is a such thing as peaking too early... 

Everybody is trying to peek in December and January

OK, that could be a possibility 

21 minutes ago, Prospector said:

OK, that could be a possibility 

It's Like a boxer

You can't stay in fighting shape 365 days a year... Not physically possible or healthy

It's why they have camps and work into fighting shape... Trying to peak at the fight time 

Football players are the same way...

You're trying to peak at the right time because it's a grind of a season... And plateauing is real

If you're playing your best football week 1.. you will be plateaued by January

4 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Would you fire him if he pulled another 13 seconds?

No.  IMHO McDermott is the best coach the Bills have ever had.

Yes, that loss really hurt.  But you ignore all the success he has had.

Based upon your criteria, every coach in the league that doesn't win it all should be replaced each year.

Winning the Super Bowl is so difficult.  You need the talent and a significant amount of good fortune.

You and your cohorts that get all fired up to dump McDermott after each loss are in the minority.

Here we are, the 2 seed in the AFC, we won the wild card game, we are favored in the division round vs KC and you are still crying about a loss 2 years ago.  Let it go.

Many are so tried of hearing you guys beating the fire McClappy drum over and over.

I will read your response, but I can not promise I will respond.  This get so tiresome.

By the way.  Come up with a new derogatory name for our head coach.  Using McClappy is just being lazy.

Generally speaking I agree with most of that.  I will say however, that the past seasons' success of the Chiefs seems to be leading the charge on any projections for this season.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well obviously the more of those guys that play the better our chances. If Douglas, Taron and Bernard all play I feel pretty good about the Bills. The more of those 3 that miss the more even I think this game becomes. 

Yes, obviously.  But keep in mind, we're not trying to defend HIll and Waddle here either.  The only non-JAG WR on their entire team is Rice, who's a rookie and has already outperformed rookie expectations for any rookie.  Now he faces his first post-season game ever, in as adversarial conditions as he'll ever see in the NFL much less his rookie season.  It's far from unreasonable to suspect that our depth CBs can cover their JAG WRs.  Hyde and Poyer are both fine, which is probably more important in this particular game in talking about matchups.  

Kelce's had his worst season in years.  He's at less than half of his TD production over the three seasons prior to this one.  His yards-per-reception are at a career low.  His 1st-Down production is the worst it's been since he took off as a TE.  This Chiefs' passing team is far from the best we've faced on the season.  It shouldn't require an all-star secondary to defend against it.  After Rice there's not a WR worth mentioning, as pointed out at the beginning of the season, and again, he's a rookie facing a game that he's never experienced before.  

And the reason for that is the specific match ups in the football game. 

Where do I think they favour the Bills:

1. I think we should be able to run the ball some on the Chiefs and stay in good down and distance. I think the plan vs the Steelers of a balanced attack is probably the plan here. 

If we cannot at minimum match our rushing output from the first game, then it's high time to have a serious conversation about our coaching on the offensive side.  

2. I think our outside corners, especially if Douglas is up, should be able to limit the Kansas City receivers and make enough of the catches contested to challenge their questionable separation skills and hands. 

Agreed, per above.  

3. I think Kincaid and Knox can really threaten their safeties down the seam. Again what we did last week seems to be a template for this game there too.

Where do I think they favour the Chiefs:

1. Certainly since mid-season when Leonard Floyd cooled off the Bills pass rush has gone as Ed Oliver has gone. He has been critical. And the Chiefs interior OL - GCG - is about the best in the league. Our edge guys have the advantage on their tackles but they gotta show me they cab make it count.

This is where McD earns his status and proves to all of his skeptics that he's the one for the job. 

2. Their corners against our receivers. Sneed has had some success against Diggs before albeit at home where he might have got away with a holding call or two. But McDuffie inside will have a role against Shakir and potentially even on Kincaid and that is advantage them. If they can take Diggs and Kincaid away and try and make the Bills win with Sherfield, Knox and Shakir that becomes scary.

3. Depending on how healthy our second level is - so MLB, WLB, Nickel - I worry about Kelce, Pacheco and CEH there. They are really the guys they can rely on - especially the first two. If you guaranteed me we have Bernard, Dodson and Taron I worry less about this.

Pacheco did not play in our first game, but if we can limit him, then we should be fine.  He's a dual-threat.  Kelce's on the downward trend and Rice is a rookie, as mentioned.  Pacheco is key against our 15th Total Yards and 28th Yards-per-Carry against rushing D that quite frankly, hasn't faced much top-10 rushing competition, either from a team or a RB perspective.  Philly and Miami are the only two teams among the top-12 rushing teams that we've faced in YPG.  Fins 6th, Eagles 8th.  Neither are in the playoffs at this point.  As well, we've faced only two teams, the same two, ranked among the top-12 in Yards-per-Carry rushing.  

It isn't about stats on what they have or haven't done against other teams or what we have or haven't done against other teams it is about the Xs and Os of how these two teams match up. That is the NFL. I think if we are healthy enough on defense (especially 2nd level) we have the advantage. But if we are banged up there then I definitely see a way the Chiefs score high 20s at least.

Perhaps not directly, but obviously stats have a lot to do with it.  The coaching staff is obviously using metrics, aka stats, to formulate their game-plan as we interact here.  

At the end of the day however, if we cannot hang at least what we did in KC in terms of rushing on them, here, in Buffalo, then it's time to have a more serious conversation about our coaching, particularly on offense. 

Also, Mahomes and the Chiefs are 7-0 when they have 266+ passing yards.  They've crossed the 300 passing yard mark only twice, against the Chargers and Bears, and neither of those two teams has a good defense.  Even banged up, ours is better.  Of those aforementioned teams, only one, Jax, finished with a winning record.  

So, at the end of the day, if Mahomes has a big passing D, and we cannot run effectively against them, then we'll be in the shallow end of the talent pool in terms of teams that failed to do so, and again, it will be time to have a more serious discussion re: our coaching.  

I'm expecting a 20 point victory by us.  

Finally, the thing that I've not seen a lot of mention of, is Davis in addressing your concerns about our passing game vs. their secondary.  Strangely, Davis has been our most consistent performer in the past two seasons' playoffs, obviously not including our last game since he didn't play.  

In his four playoff games otherwise, with 26 targets, 18 catches (69% Catch%), for 389 yards, and 6 TDs.  He posted two 100-yard games with 4 and 1 TDs, more than even Diggs.  He was the sole reason alongside Allen as to why we've won our only D-round matchup under McD. 

In those same four games, our other WRs collectively had 33 catches for 564 yards and 2 TDs, with a much lower aggregate catch %.  Those 2 TDs came from Sanders in '21 and Beasley last season.  No one currently on the roster as a WR has done much in the playoffs.  We can argue as to why, but that's a fact.  Diggs has had one good game in those four.  Last week our leading WR went 7 for 52, no TDs.  That was Diggs.  

I for one am curious as how it goes w/o Davis, but also why that is.  

48 hours from now we'll know more.  

GO BILLS!!!  

Edited by PBF81
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Did Shnowman just take a shot at Britney (Josh's Ex)? They asked about Josh and he said "I don't know what's different but when he leaves his house and comes to work he's happy. Whatever it is, whether it's talking to his parents or talking to his girl, whatever it is, he's different now."

maybe its a shot at Dorsey

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Maybe they will bring in a coach that will practice on bye weeks?  That way the rest of the NFL knows were are serious about winning.

I am pretty sure the NFLPA has rules against what you are saying. The in season bye week is there for a reason. For player health. 

4 hours ago, Locomark said:

I am pretty sure the NFLPA has rules against what you are saying. The in season bye week is there for a reason. For player health. 

I know.  I am just making fun of posters who were making statements that the Bills weren’t serious about winning because they weren’t practicing on their off week.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:51 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Unfortunately yes. I know I was at that point midseason.

Now...now I look back at a defensive coach who had his top assistant walk away after it was too late to backfill. Who had an OC who was next man up and never developed the feel for situation playcalling that he had in 2020 and 2021. 

No matter how it ends, I want to see a year with whoever they run with as OC given a full offseason to install. I want the D to get an assistant at get healthy after a truly impressive spate of injuries. And then if we fall short again, then we have that talk.

I am going to change my thing from 3rdand12 (which is fairly negative)

To , Post Dorsey

I quit the team

I stopped posting and tried to cancel.
 Now I see some light again.
Bandwagon  me ? maybe 

But i hated Dorsey and felt he ruined the team

Brady might have made my point ?

Love Dion always

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.