Leslie Fraizer Interviewing with Chargers

39 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It would be hard to have a drastically worse hire for a team with Super Bowl aspirations than Leslie Frazier. You know with absolute certainty that the guy won't get you there.

For a disaster organization just looking to get respectable? Maybe.

The trend is recent years has been younger innovative coaches like Sean McVay, McDaniel, etc. It's not out of the ordinary any more to have coach that hasn't yet celebrated their 40th birthday. The days of hiring a coach from the era of goalposts in the back of the endzone that were shaped like an 'H' are over. 

There are too many available candidates that would be better choices than Frazier.

Just now, Malazan said:

Their fanbase would revolt if he got the job.

I heard on one of those talking heads shows that the owners are trying to change the perception of the Chargers being “ irrelevant in the LA market” and “cheap”…by getting a big name coach like Harbaugh…

Not sure Leslie is moving the needle much there ..

• Agree 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I heard on one of those talking heads shows that the owners are trying to change the perception of the Chargers being “ irrelevant in the LA market” and “cheap”…by getting a big name coach like Harbaugh…

Not sure Leslie is moving the needle much there ..

That is going to be hard to do. LA isn't a great football market. At least not for the NFL. USC and UCLA may do better.

35 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At this point I really am starting to feel bad for the guy. I mean, why subject yourself to this process yet again, when you know you don't fit the profile of what everyone is looking for (next young "it" offensive wunderkind guy from the McVay/Shanahan/Reid trees and/or college)? You've made enough money in theory being around this league forever, and what's wrong with a little laurel resting amongst the rolling golf course hills in [insert name of warm/sunny locale here]? He's in for more disappointment, imho.   

I am not Leslie Frazier's biggest fan, but I do really get the disappointment of being repeatedly passed up. I mean, let's look at the slate of fired NFL coaches. You can't tell me that his track record is leaps and bounds worse than:

Brandon Stayley - 1 year as DC with superstars Von Miller, Aaron Donald, Jaylen Ramsey and Leonard Floyd

Josh McDaniels - A previously washed Belicheck discipline with a track record for screwing over teams

Frank Reich - 4 year OC, one season on SB winning team (maybe the one I can say is the best)

Ron Rivera - 7 straight losing seasons as a HC, 4 before Washington

Arthur Smith - 2 years OC, got one good year out of Ryan Tannehill with Derrick Henry

And yet I suspect he's going to be passed over

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

That is going to be hard to do. LA isn't a great football market. At least not for the NFL. USC and UCLA may do better.

Small steps … first thing is to get bigger than the Clippers 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

I just heard Florio talking about the Rooney rule with Simms.  I think a lot of teams will rush to fulfill the Rooney rule fast to take a first shot at Vrable and Harbaugh. Moves will happen quick. 

Edited by wppete

Leslie Frazier is not getting a head coaching job in the NFL, and it's nobody's fault but his.  

First of all, it's a young man's game.   

Second of all, he's had untold opportunities to show his head coaching acumen in college, the XFL, the USFL, the CFL, building a staff of coordinators and assistant coaches in his own tree, and he chose not to do it.  

He's soon to be 65 years old, and hasn't been a head coach in the NFL in over a decade.   

40 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Most fan bases are naturally revolting.  Bills fanbase is better for they work on it. 

Some Chicago Fans are calling for Washington style coup is Frank Reich is hired as OC.

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

At this point I really am starting to feel bad for the guy. I mean, why subject yourself to this process yet again, when you know you don't fit the profile of what everyone is looking for (next young "it" offensive wunderkind guy from the McVay/Shanahan/Reid trees and/or college)? You've made enough money in theory being around this league forever, and what's wrong with a little laurel resting amongst the rolling golf course hills in [insert name of warm/sunny locale here]? He's in for more disappointment, imho.   

I bet he uses these interview trips to eat all the nuts and drink all the mini-bottles in his hotel room. “You think you’re wasting my time? I’ll show YOU!” 

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

Our fan base revolts when we go 13-3, but that’s another story.  😋

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am not Leslie Frazier's biggest fan, but I do really get the disappointment of being repeatedly passed up. I mean, let's look at the slate of fired NFL coaches. You can't tell me that his track record is leaps and bounds worse than:

Brandon Stayley - 1 year as DC with superstars Von Miller, Aaron Donald, Jaylen Ramsey and Leonard Floyd

Josh McDaniels - A previously washed Belicheck discipline with a track record for screwing over teams

Frank Reich - 4 year OC, one season on SB winning team (maybe the one I can say is the best)

Ron Rivera - 7 straight losing seasons as a HC, 4 before Washington

Arthur Smith - 2 years OC, got one good year out of Ryan Tannehill with Derrick Henry

And yet I suspect he's going to be passed over

I think he's one of the best options out there, honestly. 

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Rooney Rule turns all the black assistant coaches into racial tokens.  Happened with Anthony Lynn every season too.

They should be the first one to oppose this.

Using both of these coaches, who actually were both head coaches and whose most recent title was Assistant Head Coach are terrible examples to try to bash the Rooney Rule. if you want a token interviewee, Ray Horton would have been a better choice, but then again he was qualified too.

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

I think he's one of the best options out there, honestly. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think that the current trend will bypass a proven track record as HC as an administrator, delegator, coach wrangler, sideline presence but who is older and is defensive minded for a younger "offensive guru", even if they are unproven or have little experience as a coordinator as long as they can scheme up pretty plays.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The Browns would have struggled to 6 wins if Watson stayed healthy 

That's just it, I don't think he'll manage to stay healthy entire seasons.  His pocket awareness isn't great and he takes hits and falls awkwardly.  He's just not good at protecting himself.  Beyond that, I'm not sure he can play consistently enough when healthy.

Nothing against Frazier, but what exactly is the selling point for a guy that was quietly forced out of Buffalo and resume highlights include 'hail murray', '13 seconds', etc.

If he still wants to coach it would probably have to be some sort of senior assistant, position coach specific job because I definitely wouldn't want him as a DC.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Using both of these coaches, who actually were both head coaches and whose most recent title was Assistant Head Coach are terrible examples to try to bash the Rooney Rule. if you want a token interviewee, Ray Horton would have been a better choice, but then again he was qualified too.

They're all "qualified" otherwise they wouldn't have jobs as NFL assistants.  What the Rooney Rule does is force teams to interview the "usual suspects" on the way to hiring the guy they actually want.  It's a charade, it's silly and it humiliates these guys.  Not exactly racial progress.

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Nothing against Frazier, but what exactly is the selling point for a guy that was quietly forced out of Buffalo and resume highlights include 'hail murray', '13 seconds', etc.

If he still wants to coach it would probably have to be some sort of senior assistant, position coach specific job because I definitely wouldn't want him as a DC.

Frazier is going to get record breaking amount of interviews this year and won’t get any job. A lot of openings so far. 

Just now, wppete said:

Frazier is going to get record breaking amount of interviews this year and won’t get any job. A lot of openings so far. 

Yeah but just to satisfy the rooney rule nonsense which I do feel bad for him in that case.

3 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

They're all "qualified" otherwise they wouldn't have jobs as NFL assistants.  What the Rooney Rule does is force teams to interview the "usual suspects" on the way to hiring the guy they actually want.  It's a charade, it's silly and it humiliates these guys.  Not exactly racial progress.

That's not the way that works. You can be qualified for your current role and not your boss' role. Otherwise none of us would be subordinates. The guys you mentioned are not "usual suspects" they're legitimate. I understand you're trying to push a dodgy political narrative, but if you want to do that, you probably want better examples, like when teams give HC interviews to low level assistants. I hate teaching people to be better bad-faith actors, but it gets embarrassing after a while.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is under contract. So I think technically yes. 

So there has been a benefit to having Frazier on the payroll…, 🤣😂😁

just joking..,, 

As someone who thinks he totally got scapegoated here, I would not want him as a head coach. Too nice. I think a team like the chargers would be his best chance. But they should go with an offensive coach and just hire a proved DC. 

no one cares about that team anyways.  And they will be completely overhyped next year only to not do a thing. 

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

It is equalized by rule where they can promote someone to HC, OC or DC if black but if white can only get interim tag.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.