Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

Well, the local and national folks were able to nail the 70+ inch lake effect last year, so if it's going to be terrible, life threatening travel conditions you'd think the NFL would be informed pretty quick.

Gusts to fifty, and lake effect snow. Sounds like absolutely brutal conditions-- near-blizzzard. I wonder if consideration may be given to moving it to Monday (things don't look much better then, according to what I'm looking at), or to another city? Time-frame for this is limited, obviously.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, par73 said:

Gusts to fifty, and lake effect snow. Sounds like absolutely brutal conditions-- near-blizzzard. I wonder if consideration may be given to moving it to Monday (things don't look much better then, according to what I'm looking at), or to another city? Time-frame for this is limited, obviously.

It’s too late to move the location and I seriously doubt the NFL would ever move a playoff game unless it was a natural disaster. I could see them delaying the game a day or so however. I don’t think there’s enough of an indication of extreme conditions making travel unsafe like happened last year. The travel ban was a big reason why that game was moved. 

Just now, WotAGuy said:

It’s too late to move the location and I seriously doubt the NFL would ever move a playoff game unless it was a natural disaster. I could see them delaying the game a day or so however. I don’t think there’s enough of an indication of extreme conditions making travel unsafe like happened last year. The travel ban was a big reason why that game was moved. 

I don’t know how you can say that.  Multiple games have been moved/postponed in the past and we know that there are certain weather conditions that could make it impossible to play the game in Orchard Park on Sunday. Those factors are definitely in play.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don’t know how you can say that.  Multiple games have been moved/postponed in the past and we know that there are certain weather conditions that could make it impossible to play the game in Orchard Park on Sunday. Those factors are definitely in play.

Playoff games are a different animal. 

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Bills have had two games in history moved. For EXTREME weather, like 7 feet of snow. This aint that. This is like the colts game in 2017...they dont want to move games ever and ESPECIALLY not playoffs.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Playoff games are a different animal. 

I doesn't matter if it's the Super Bowl.  If fans, players and and officials can't get to the stadium (and home again), you can't play the game.  Period.  

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

The Bills have had two games in history moved. For EXTREME weather, like 7 feet of snow. This aint that. This is like the colts game in 2017...they dont want to move games ever and ESPECIALLY not playoffs.

It won't require 7 feet of snow for the game to be moved...18-24 inches would probably do it.  As I understand it, that's within the range of possibilities for Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The Bills got a break playing Pittsburgh. I don’t care if it’s a friggin hurricane, if they can’t beat the Steelers, they would have never won the Super Bowl anyway. Just beat them. 

So wrong.  If Allen can't be Allen (the much better QB) and the field truncated because of the wind, that has nothing to do with Pittsburgh.  Slippery conditions and one long run (or 3 yard pass that goes for 80 and a TD because of the field) has nothing to do with skill.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Process said:

What events though? Buffalo is a small city. And the stadium is being built in the middle of nowhere. 

Even with a dome Buffalo is not getting national events/conventions/big concerts etc.

why can Indy get that stuff though? It’s not exactly a booming metropolis. They get all kind of crazy stuff, including the NCAA volleyball finals, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

why can Indy get that stuff though? It’s not exactly a booming metropolis. They get all kind of crazy stuff, including the NCAA volleyball finals, etc. 

The population of the city of Indianapolis is almost 4x the city of Buffalo. Metro area 2x. Not really comparable. Factor in our garbage weather and Buffalo is just never going to be an attractive spot for big events. 

Edited by Process

2 minutes ago, Process said:

The population of the city of Indianapolis is almost 4x the city of Buffalo. Metro area 2x. Not really comparable.

I used to live there. There is some gerrymandering that goes on with how they count their population. 

That said, even if you view Indy as much bigger, I do think the closed stadium in Buffalo could draw more events than a lot of folks think. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The Bills got a break playing Pittsburgh. I don’t care if it’s a friggin hurricane, if they can’t beat the Steelers, they would have never won the Super Bowl anyway. Just beat them. 

I tend to agree with this as I was saying the same thing before the Chargers and Pats games.  I mean you lose any of those games or Pittsburgh at home in OUR weather, there was zero chance for a Super Bowl.  Therefore I'm not going to sweat it.  I expect a win, but if they don't it saves me the heartache of a brutal loss they would endure in the next round or so.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

The population of the city of Indianapolis is almost 4x the city of Buffalo. Metro area 2x. Not really comparable.

Double is the important # and doesn't include Canada and 6.7 million in Toronto Metropolitan area

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

I doesn't matter if it's the Super Bowl.  If fans, players and and officials can't get to the stadium (and home again), you can't play the game.  Period.  

It won't require 7 feet of snow for the game to be moved...18-24 inches would probably do it.  As I understand it, that's within the range of possibilities for Sunday.

they are not moving this game..thats beyond even thinking about. They decided to move the last game on the Thursday before and that was thought to be cutting it too close. Aint happening for a regular winter storm this area sees regularly, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So wrong.  If Allen can't be Allen (the much better QB) and the field truncated because of the wind, that has nothing to do with Pittsburgh.  Slippery conditions and one long run (or 3 yard pass that goes for 80 and a TD because of the field) has nothing to do with skill.

And the Steelers aren’t playing on the same field?  Couldn’t those things you cited be plays by the Bills also?

Just now, WotAGuy said:

And the Steelers aren’t playing on the same field?  Couldn’t those things you cited be plays by the Bills also?

Talking talent.  No one whatsoever is saying Pitt is the better team talentwise.  Of course it can happen and the Bills are the beneficiary.

And same too "on any given Sunday", Pitt can beat Buffalo, however I 100% guarantee that if Buffalo loses Sunday, the blame will be due to the weather.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Talking talent.  No one whatsoever is saying Pitt is the better team talentwise.  Of course it can happen and the Bills are the beneficiary.

And same too "on any given Sunday", Pitt can beat Buffalo, however I 100% guarantee that if Buffalo loses Sunday, the blame will be due to the weather.

I agree fans will blame the weather.  But the fact is, if the Bills lose, it will be because Pittsburgh made more plays. Just like with the New England wind game, if the Bills could stop the run in that game, they would have won. As it is, they could not and lost. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Double is the important # and doesn't include Canada and 6.7 million in Toronto Metropolitan area

I don't know what a city in another country two hours away has to do with anything. I guess we have to consider Chicago when talking about Indianapolis then. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I agree fans will blame the weather.  But the fact is, if the Bills lose, it will be because Pittsburgh made more plays. Just like with the New England wind game, if the Bills could stop the run in that game, they would have won. As it is, they could not and lost. 

And the next two games vs. NE, Buffalo proved 100% just how much better they were and the NE win was only due to the weather.  Geez, just proved my point.😉

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And the next two games vs. NE, Buffalo proved 100% just how much better they were and the NE win was only due to the weather.  Geez, just proved my point.😉

What about this years game against NE they lost ? What did that prove ? 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Apparently the wind was blowing the Bills defenders into the secondary. Got it. 

Winter Storm Watch in effect now from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning. Heavy lake effect snow with winds gusting as high as 65 mph. Travel will be difficult, may be impossible at times. Even if this game is playable, and fans can get to it safely (huge questions), it is sad that a playoff game will be impacted so negatively by the weather.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I knew the minute a "snow storm" was suggested a few days ago, that it would keep getting worse and worse each passing day, and it has. I am so sad, and so defeated by this, that I did not even ask my boss if I could go to work early on Sunday so I could get out early(something I usually do). I will see the 2nd half, but I just don't have the patience/mental stability/whatever for this. It has made me officially grumpy and angry at the world, because the terrible luck for this team continues. We won't be able to watch our star QB shine. I don't know if passing the ball will be an option at all. The game will be flukey AF and I can easily see us being on the wrong end of that, even though I know we are way more talented. I don't know if it's worth it to try for home field anymore. If we lose this one, I am thinking no! I almost wish we lost in Miami now and feel like we are now being punished. 

Before anyone makes angry faces at me or eye rolling emojis, I don't think this game means a "loss" for us. I realize both teams have to play in this garbage. I just know it will hinder us in a lot of ways, and I hate that. I feel like the team worked really hard to get to where they are now and I hate that something like this could derail the team, especially since in the Josh era, this might be our last season with a lot of the guys on this team before a mini rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Orchard Park NY is quite literally one of single worst locations for an outdoor stadium in the entire country. Spending $1.5B to build a new stadium and deciding to put it their is an immeasurable amount of dumb.

• Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, par73 said:

Winter Storm Watch in effect now from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning. Heavy lake effect snow with winds gusting as high as 65 mph. Travel will be difficult, may be impossible at times. Even if this game is playable, and fans can get to it safely (huge questions), it is sad that a playoff game will be impacted so negatively by the weather.

Awesome. Just keeps getting better and better 👎

10 minutes ago, par73 said:

Wouldn't this be a Blizzard Warning?

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

This is shaping up to be a game that the NFL might really need to consider delaying or playing earlier.

Of course they likely won't, but it will be a bad decision if they don't 

Saturday will be colder but not as windy

Where's the best place to get up to date forecast information?  Was thinking about making the drive from Columbus, OH on Saturday afternoon with a return after the game.  Reading the board here and listening to WGR is making me feel like that's not a good idea...

35 minutes ago, par73 said:

It's going to get to a point where they can't play. Does it get moved to Monday night?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.