Double dip at receiver?

whorlnut

I agree we need a WR this year but I think we can most likely wait since there are so many good ones currently coming out and we are not in position to get one of main 3. I am always a BPA guy in general with an understanding that your needs are part of the BPA formula, basically if guys are similar in talent you give bonus points to the position. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

I wouldn’t hate a “double dip” at WR assuming Gabe walks but I think with the emergence of Shakir its probably better to take a WR round 1 and then take a WR in the mid rounds. With Kincaid/Knox at TE you can be good with just taking one WR high up.

I think ideally you take a WR round 1 then address a defensive need in round 2 before going back on offense with the round 3 comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

I agree we need a WR this year but I think we can most likely wait since there are so many good ones currently coming out and we are not in position to get one of main 3. I am always a BPA guy in general with an understanding that your needs are part of the BPA formula, basically if guys are similar in talent you give bonus points to the position. 

Disagree completely. Yeah…let’s wait until the end of the second when the run at the top of 2 wipes them all out. Great idea. Sorry…there should be a few that are worthy of our pick in 1. There will be teams that go defense or another offensive position in front of us that pushes someone down the board. 

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Generally the draft is for the future and Free Agency (FA) is for the immediate concerns. 

I'm hoping the FO ponies up for M Evans and then drafts a WR early for the future.

That would be awesome but I can’t see them paying that since we don’t have any cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Disagree completely. Yeah…let’s wait until the end of the second when the run at the top of 2 wipes them all out. Great idea. Sorry…there should be a few that are worthy of our pick in 1. There will be teams that go defense or another offensive position in front of us that pushes someone down the board. 

In the draft it’s always about context. The Bills in 2023 were just short of getting the “round 1” WR’s so they traded up a few spots to take the best TE.

If you can’t get a WR worthy of that selection trade down or address another need and trade up in round 2 to take another one. It’s all gonna depend on where you draft and whose available 

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Generally the draft is for the future and Free Agency (FA) is for the immediate concerns. 

I'm hoping the FO ponies up for M Evans and then drafts a WR early for the future.

When you draft in the first 2 rounds you are looking to address needs in short order. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

In the draft it’s always about context. The Bills in 2023 were just short of getting the “round 1” WR’s so they traded up a few spots to take the best TE.

If you can’t get a WR worthy of that selection trade down or address another need and trade up in round 2 to take another one. It’s all gonna depend on where you draft and whose available 

When you draft in the first 2 rounds you are looking to address needs in short order. 

Well I disagree in a way. Who are we to know that they didn’t want Kincaid all along?  You are assuming that they wanted a WR. They were chasing 12 personnel for a few years and finally got their guy in Kincaid. That’s my take anyways. 

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I’m all about a DT wedged in between 2 WR picks. I just can’t fathom a DB before round 4 with how well McD can coach them up. Tre was the only highly drafted db in the McD era that has had any sort of contribution.

I agree about DB, we have plenty in Douglas,  Tre, Kair, Benford,  Taron . Any DB should be inquired in FA but we're thin at DL after this year 

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree about DB, we have plenty in Douglas,  Tre, Kair, Benford,  Taron . Any DB should be inquired in FA but we're thin at DL after this year 

We can also resign Jones, which I expect. 

28 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I definitely don’t agree with this. I feel like this has been the strategy the last couple of years, and look what that’s done. At some point they have to go for it on a first round WR. Following the same strategy the Packers did for years with Rodgers and the Chiefs have done with Mahomes won’t work out well for the Bills 

2 hours ago, The Cincinnati Kid said:

Just look at the Bengals. Had Boyd and drafted Tee. Had Boyd and Tee and then drafted Chase. Those three with Joey B have been awesome.  Just keep picking them high.

But they didn't take them in the same draft...

Going to be another year where the Chiefs pick ahead of us, they seem to have a knack for taking the guys we (the board) want and they seem to generally work out for them unfortunately.  With 31 picks ahead of us in the first round, it’s tough to say who will be left, so have to worry about it when we get there.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I’m not sure any receiver available at pick #32 will be able to contribute right away, but I hope we take the best player available to get the most contribution total over the next five years  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I can’t imagine them not viewing receiver as the biggest need heading into this off-season. 

Uhh

Not much of an imagination after watching McBeane draft Defense, Defense,Defense 

After , finally, going offense last year, I wouldn’t be shocked if our top pick(s) were LB or Safety or Corner.

It’s what they do 😕

27 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Well I disagree in a way. Who are we to know that they didn’t want Kincaid all along?  You are assuming that they wanted a WR. They were chasing 12 personnel for a few years and finally got their guy in Kincaid. That’s my take anyways. 

I think they were hoping Kincaid or one of the WR’s would fall. When all the WR’s got scooped up they pounced to get Kincaid 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Take one in the first round -- the Bills haven't DRAFTED a receiver in the 1st round in forever -- Sammy Watkins 2014

2nd Round - Zay Jones 2017 - Bobby Trees 2013 - Marquise Goodwin 2013 (R3)

2 hours ago, The Cincinnati Kid said:

Just look at the Bengals. Had Boyd and drafted Tee. Had Boyd and Tee and then drafted Chase. Those three with Joey B have been awesome.  Just keep picking them high.

Imagine how Joey B would be doing if the Bengals had drafted some Offensive Linemen earlier in the draft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh they will have to sign some vets in UFA.    They only have 4 WR under contract for next season........and one of those is Shorter who has never played an NFL down.........and that number will drop to 3 when they dump Harty prior to his $500K roster bonus coming due 5 days into the beginning of UFA.       

They could give a futures contract to Andy Isabella.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

But they didn't take them in the same draft...

No, but they took them. Especially the Chase pick after having Higgins. Essentially recognizing that they could be that much better with Chase in the mix. It is a passing league, so pass catchers are the way to go. I would Fine taking two in the first two rounds, three rounds, or four rounds, but I do think we need to take two. If Isabella had anything he’d be on the field. Same with Shorter (I know he has been on IR). Diggs, Kincaid, Rd 1 Rookie and Shakir as the top four plus another rookie and Shorter battling for the 5 spot would be great, IMO. Knox is probably overpaid at this point, but can also make plays. Cook out the backfield can be useful, too.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Cincinnati Kid said:

No, but they took them. Especially the Chase pick after having Higgins. Essentially recognizing that they could be that much better with Chase in the mix. It is a passing league, so pass catchers are the way to go. I would Fine taking two in the first two rounds, three rounds, or four rounds, but I do think we need to take two. If Isabella had anything he’d be on the field. Same with Shorter (I know he has been on IR). Diggs, Kincaid, Rd 1 Rookie and Shakir as the top four plus another rookie and Shorter battling for the 5 spot would be great, IMO. Knox is probably overpaid at this point, but can also make plays. Cook out the backfield can be useful, too.

Let me ask this, would the Bengals be better with Penny Sewell and Amon St Brown or Jamarr Chase and Jackson Carman?  The draft about building a team.

Edited by The Jokeman

Just now, The Cincinnati Kid said:

I don’t know who Jackson Carman is without googling. The NFL is about winning and scoring points and passing the football. The Bengals went to the Super Bowl with Chase and a crappy OL and damn near won the thing.

Jackson Carmen is the OT they took in the 2nd Round after Chase. Whereas could have taken Sewell instead of Chase and still gotten a quality WR later in the draft. Ironically they lost the Super Bowl giving up a sack on the final play.

2 minutes ago, The Cincinnati Kid said:

I don’t know who Jackson Carman is without googling. The NFL is about winning and scoring points and passing the football. The Bengals went to the Super Bowl with Chase and a crappy OL and damn near won the thing.

I’m honestly not sure how anyone on this board can argue for defense anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, whorlnut said:

I’m honestly not sure how anyone on this board can argue for defense anymore. 

It's called replacing quality talent with quality talent. I'm sorry but to me if losing Floyd vs losing Davis hurts this team more. I'd much rather getting a a top end Edge rusher than WR.

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

No worries, Beane will just trade our 1st round pick to the Vikings for Justin Jefferson.

How could they resist after how well the Diggs trade worked out for them?

Yeah remind me how many NFC Central division championship have they won since losing Diggs?

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Jackson Carmen is the OT they took in the 2nd Round after Chase. Whereas could have taken Sewell instead of Chase and still gotten a quality WR later in the draft. Ironically they lost the Super Bowl giving up a sack on the final play.

I think this making my point. Are the Bills better off taking a can’t miss WR in Rd 1 and relying on good scouting to find a serviceable OL in rounds 3-6? Like Spencer Brown (I said serviceable…) Dion is a Rd 2 Pick, so is Torrence and  Jackson Carmen, for that matter.

19 minutes ago, The Cincinnati Kid said:

Was Chase because of need or was he the best player available? Until Parsons at 12 there wasn’t anybody better and it sure seems like they took the best player and not strategically a need.  That’s the kind of decision I hope we make the next five drafts. Keep getting the most talent possible for our picks and use free agency for any hopes that emerge. 

Just now, The Cincinnati Kid said:

I think this making my point. Are the Bills better off taking a can’t miss WR in Rd 1 and relying on good scouting to find a serviceable OL in rounds 3-6? Like Spencer Brown (I said serviceable…) Dion is a Rd 2 Pick, so is Torrence and  Jackson Carmen, for that matter.

Count me in the crowd that rather have Sewell and St Brown vs Chase and Carmen. 

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

It's called replacing quality talent with quality talent. I'm sorry but to me if losing Floyd vs losing Davis hurts this team more. I'd much rather getting a a top end Edge rusher than WR.

Yeah remind me how many NFC Central division championship have they won since losing Diggs?

How old are you?  Just curious…

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koufax said:

Was Chase because of need or was he the best player available? Until Parsons at 12 there wasn’t anybody better and it sure seems like they took the best player and not strategically a need.  That’s the kind of decision I hope we make the next five drafts. Keep getting the most talent possible for our picks and use free agency for any hopes that emerge. 

Disagree. What if BPA is a QB?  What if it’s a CB three years in a row?  It’s a flawed system. You identify areas of need and then take BPA based on that board. 

37 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Great troll job…

Idk why you think I'm trolling? The Bills have Von Miller, Kingsley Jonathan, Greg Rousseau, and Ed Oliver signed for next year and that's it. I'm of the opinion that Von Miller is done (we'll see, maybe not), and Jonathan isn't even activated for game day. So we have 1 DE starter signed for next season, and 1 DT starter signed for next season. We have essentially zero EDGE pass rushing players (Rousseau isn't really that kind of player) signed and that is the 2nd most valuable position besides QB in the NFL.

For safety we have Poyer and Hamlin signed for next season. It wouldn't surprise me if Poyer hangs up the cleats and Hamlin is cut. So that would leave zero safeties signed for next season.

To compound issues, we have no cap space to fill the roster with top UFAs. We definitely aren't signing anybody better than Davis (we probably can't even afford him). We are going to be drafting players with the intention of them starting, hoping that our mid-round draft picks from the last couple of years can take the next step and shopping in the bargain bin for free agency.

Maybe we'll be drafting a WR at the bottom of the first to replace Gabe Davis, but I think it is equally likely we draft a DE, DT or S because we need them to start immediately. Possibly Shakir or Shorter and a 3rd round pick will be in an open competition for WR2. Maybe they will sign somebody like Boyd or OBJ.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

You seem a lot older than that. My point is that this is a new NFL. It’s a passing league. We have a franchise qb and you don’t wanna get him the best WR possible?  You would rather take an edge?  We tried that in 21 with two straight picks in 1 and 2, which pretty much inspired this entire thread. Not to mention we took one in 2 the year before. Other than the Diggs trade, the earliest asset Beane has used on a wr has been a 4. You think that has anything to do with why we are in this mess to begin with?

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Idk why you think I'm trolling? The Bills have Von Miller, Kingsley Jonathan, Greg Rousseau, and Ed Oliver signed for next year and that's it. I'm of the opinion that Von Miller is done (we'll see, maybe not), and Jonathan isn't even activated for game day. So we have 1 DE starter signed for next season, and 1 DT starter signed for next season. We have essentially zero EDGE pass rushing players (Rousseau isn't really that kind of player) signed and that is the 2nd most valuable position besides QB in the NFL.

For safety we have Poyer and Hamlin signed for next season. It wouldn't surprise me if Poyer hangs up the cleats and Hamlin is cut. So that would leave zero safeties signed for next season.

To compound issues, we have no cap space to fill the roster with top UFAs. We definitely aren't signing anybody better than Davis (we probably can't even afford him). We are going to be drafting players with the intention of them starting, hoping that our mid-round draft picks from the last couple of years can take the next step and shopping in the bargain bin for free agency.

Maybe we'll be drafting a WR at the bottom of the first to replace Gabe Davis, but I think it is equally likely we draft a DE, DT or S because we need them to start immediately. Possibly Shakir or Shorter and a 3rd round pick will be in an open competition for WR2. Maybe they will sign somebody like Boyd or OBJ.

What is the issue with this team right now?  What about last year in the playoffs?  That’s right…offensive weapons. You can spin it all you want, but WR is the biggest need. It just is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.