Double dip at receiver?

whorlnut

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes, but.. The Draft is simply a crap shoot. Especially with WRs. Ya just never know and they typically take a few years to realize their potential. Could be a bust or could be a Jerry Butler/JD Hill. Imo, a very good WR to play with Josh for a few seasons is best left to a trade or FA signing -Not early Draft picks.

I haven’t looked at all the recent data, but my sense is that the bust rate for first round WRs is lower than for most positions, especially when you have an elite QB…Jalen Raegor 🤣 is the only recent one that leaps to mind.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Not sure how you can say that.  Jefferson was a great prospect and he’s still on a rookie contract.  Meanwhile, Diggs has hit a wall.

Easy-  if teams knew he was going to be the best WR in the league, he wouldn’t have slipped to 22.  4 teams drafted other WRs over him.  I think it’s safe to say exactly what @BillsFanForever19 said.  No one knew Justin Jefferson would become the best WR in the league.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Easy-  if teams knew he was going to be the best WR in the league, he wouldn’t have slipped to 22.  4 teams drafted other WRs over him.  I think it’s safe to say exactly what @BillsFanForever19 said.  No one knew Justin Jefferson would become the best WR in the league.  

Maybe the Vikings knew he was going to be great.  How can you say they didn’t?

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

You are arguing just to be difficult at this point. Congrats…you’re “that guy”…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Because if they KNEW he was going to be the best WR in football, they wouldn’t have sat there and hoped that the eagles (who everyone knew needed a WR) would draft Jaelon Reagor.  No one had Reagor rated ahead of Jefferson (except Roseman apparently).  

He fell into their laps. They were very lucky.  Don’t get me wrong, I thought he was going to be a very good WR at worst with upside for greatness.  But what @BillsFanForever19 said “no one knew Justin Jefferson was going to be Justin Jefferson”…..Aka the best WR in the league.  

It can never be proven either way, but if minny thought he was the best WR in the entire league, I think they would’ve traded up.  

ceedee lamb was taken at 18-  then 2 major reaches in Austin Jackson and Damon Arnette.  Minny could have traded up.  They didn’t.  

Just now, whorlnut said:

The “you can’t prove me wrong” argument.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

The Vikings took a great WR with their first round pick…they thought, at a minimum, he was going to be very good.  What is there to argue about?  

if Kincaid (taken at 23) turns into the next Travis Kelce are you going to say the Bills didn’t know he was going to be great because they would have traded up even higher if they had known?

• Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I’m really hoping Beane takes a WR in the first round this year and would then like to see another taken in round 2 if they are rated high on our board. We did this with Rousseau and Basham when we needed someone to get after Mahomes. Why can’t we do it again for our franchise qb?  

Go hard at the position and give yourself the best shot possible at finding another top receiver. These guys could end up being WR1 and WR2 after Diggs leaves. I love the idea of rookie contracts, with one having the fifth year option. This is a passing league and if we hit on one, that gives Allen Kincaid and the new guy for at least 4 years on rookie deals. If we hit on both, then all the better. 

Considering the best WR from the 2023 class was a 5th round pick, i don't know that you need to double dip in the first 2 rounds.  There wouldn't be enough snaps for a 2nd round player between having to split time with 1st round WR, Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox.  

Free agency will change a bunch of factors - but Buffalo appears to be set at 

QB1 - 

RB1 - The rest can be depth vets, 6th round or later, or UDFA's

WR1 - Assume Diggs is back, i don't really know why he'd want to leave other than coaching.  He doesn't get trade control (could end up on the panthers or something), is already on a contender, 8th in the league in targets.  

WR2 - No one on roster that I'd have a ton of faith in.  Would like some serious wheels.  Shorter projects more in that Sherfield role than anything else to me.  

WR3 - Shakir

TE1/2 - Both locked in

OT - Both locked in

OG - Both locked in

C - Bates probably steps in if morse is a cap casualty - they could also look to add here in the draft with an OG/C player

Defensively its just... a mess.  I assume a lot gets figured out around free agency.  DQ being brought back would go a long way.  I don't see how they can play much in the pass rushing FA pool with limited resources, but we said that last year and ended up with Floyd.  LB looks fairly set with a solid depth piece behind the starters.  Corner with or without tre is fairly solid.  S is another huge ?.  

DE - Rousseau Johnathan Miller

DT - Oliver

LB - Milano, Bernard, Williams

CB - Douglas, White (potential Cap casualty), Johnson, Benford, Elam, Neal

S - Poyer (also potential cap casualty)

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Vikings took a great WR with their first round pick…they thought, at a minimum, he was going to be very good.  What is there to argue about?  

if Kincaid (taken at 23) turns into the next Travis Kelce are you going to say the Bills didn’t know he was going to be great because they would have traded up even higher if they had known?

You’re arguing that the Vikings knew JJ would be the best WR in the league.  That’s the post that you quoted and rebutted…….

So, at this moment, do the Bills know that Kincaid will be the best TE in the league?  

when teams draft players in the 20’s most don’t think that they are drafting the leagues best at their position. Sure, they think that they’ll be good…..but that’s different.  You seem to be arguing that the Vikings knew they were drafting the best WR in the league when they drafted him.  You can stand on that hill because there will never be proof to prove one side or the other.  It’s just a strange hill to stand on

Edited by NewEra

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Because if they KNEW he was going to be the best WR in football, they wouldn’t have sat there and hoped that the eagles (who everyone knew needed a WR) would draft Jaelon Reagor.  No one had Reagor rated ahead of Jefferson (except Roseman apparently).  

He fell into their laps. They were very lucky.  Don’t get me wrong, I thought he was going to be a very good WR at worst with upside for greatness.  But what @BillsFanForever19 said “no one knew Justin Jefferson was going to be Justin Jefferson”…..Aka the best WR in the league.  

It can never be proven either way, but if minny thought he was the best WR in the entire league, I think they would’ve traded up.  

ceedee lamb was taken at 18-  then 2 major reaches in Austin Jackson and Damon Arnette.  Minny could have traded up.  They didn’t.  

The “you can’t prove me wrong” argument.

I feel like a lot of the experts felt jefferson's professional success would end up with him playing primarily in the slot.  Teams don't usually prioritize that in the first round.  That his 4.4 40 time didn't really reflect his play speed accurately, and that he played smaller than his size.  The experts were wrong.

We'll never know what Ruggs was capable of, but he had the measurables that GM's drool over.  Jeudy felt "safe", but his concentration drops have been an issue.  Lamb felt like the home run swing in the first, even if he didn't test that well - Him not being the first off the board that year was shocking.  And reagor felt like the deep threat.  Aiyuk, Higgins, Pittman all were there too, albeit with their own wrinkles - Aiyuk didn't have a ton of impressive film, Higgins was considered raw route running, Pittman got the "possession receiver" label etc. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I’m really hoping Beane takes a WR in the first round this year and would then like to see another taken in round 2 if they are rated high on our board. We did this with Rousseau and Basham when we needed someone to get after Mahomes. Why can’t we do it again for our franchise qb?  

Go hard at the position and give yourself the best shot possible at finding another top receiver. These guys could end up being WR1 and WR2 after Diggs leaves. I love the idea of rookie contracts, with one having the fifth year option. This is a passing league and if we hit on one, that gives Allen Kincaid and the new guy for at least 4 years on rookie deals. If we hit on both, then all the better. 

They are fascinated with defensive players. I can't see them drafting O in the first round two years in a row. Just not McDermott's bag.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re arguing that the Vikings knew JJ would be the best WR in the league.  That’s the post that you quoted and rebutted…….

So, at this moment, do the Bills know that Kincaid will be the best TE in the league?  

when teams draft players in the 20’s most don’t think that they are drafting the leagues best at their position. Sure, they think that they’ll be good…..but that’s different.  You seem to be arguing that the Vikings knew they were drafting the best WR in the league when they drafted him.  You can stand on that hill because there will never be proof to prove one side or the other.  It’s just a strange hill to stand on

And you’re trying to deny that the Vikings got the best of the Diggs trade, which is inarguable, on the grounds that they “got lucky”…that’s a pretty weak hill to stand on.

2 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

They are fascinated with defensive players. I can't see them drafting O in the first round two years in a row. Just not McDermott's bag.

They will be going Safety in round 1, and maybe WR in round 2.  Beane will say WR was a deeper position in the draft and they still got a good player, etc…

51 minutes ago, mannc said:

I haven’t looked at all the recent data, but my sense is that the bust rate for first round WRs is lower than for most positions, especially when you have an elite QB…Jalen Raegor 🤣 is the only recent one that leaps to mind.

2017 - Corey Davis (bust), Mike Williams, Ross (bust) - 66%

2018 - DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley - 0%

2019 - Hollywood Brown (not a bust, but 1 1000 yard season in 5 isn't leaping off the page), Nkeal Harry - BUST - 50%

2020 - Ruggs (bust), Jeudy (0 1000 yard seasons, i'm leaning bust), Lamb, Reagor (Bust), Jefferson, Aiyuk.  3/6 - 50%

2021 - Chase, Waddle, Smith, Toney (Bust), Bateman (bust) - 2/5 - 40%

2022 - Too early to tell fully - but seems like a solid class.  London, Burks, Dotson all don't have QBs, and Williams is not getting snaps.  Olave and Wilson look solid even without good QBs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

And you’re trying to deny that the Vikings got the best of the Diggs trade, which is inarguable, on the grounds that they “got lucky”…that’s a pretty weak hill to stand on.

WTH are you even talking about?  Talk about moving the goalposts…..good lord bro. 

I’ve said nothing of the sorts- I never touched on who got the best of the trade.  You’re pulling this out of you butt because your original post is 💩.

if you’d like my take on who got the better of the trade here it is. It’s multi layered: 
-If the Vikings win the SB with Jefferson, they got the best of the trade, regardless of if the bills win a SB with Diggs (unless the bills win multiple SBs).

- the Bills win the SB with Diggs and the Vikings don’t win one with Jefferson, the Bills got the best of the trade. 

- if neither team wins a SB with their WR, the Vikings got the best of the trade because they got the best WR in the league and had him on a rookie contract for 5 years.  

going into that draft, I thought there was, maybe, a 20% chance that Jefferson would’ve fallen to us at 22.  Trading for Diggs guaranteed that we would land an bonafide WR1.  There would be no hoping or luck.  Beane took the bull by the horns and made a trade that transformed us from a wild card caliber team to a Super Bowl contender.  Meanwhile, Minnesota has missed the playoffs in 3 of Jefferson’s 4 seasons and has zero playoff wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

They do need to get a bit younger on that side of the ball.  Only a few starters on rookie deals going into 2024- Benford, Bernard, Rousseau.  You have Williams and Elam there for depth.  On offense - Kincaid, Torrence, Brown, Cook, Shakir are all on rookie deals and play pretty important roles.  

WTH are you even talking about?  Talk about moving the goalposts…..good lord bro. 

I’ve said nothing of the sorts- I never touched on who got the best of the trade.  You’re pulling this out of you butt because your original post is 💩.

if you’d like my take on who got the better of the trade here it is. It’s multi layered: 
-If the Vikings win the SB with Jefferson, they got the best of the trade, regardless of if the bills win a SB with Diggs (unless the bills win multiple SBs).

- the Bills win the SB with Diggs and the Vikings don’t win one with Jefferson, the Bills got the best of the trade. 

- if neither team wins a SB with their WR, the Vikings got the best of the trade because they got the best WR in the league and had him on a rookie contract for 5 years.  

going into that draft, I thought there was, maybe, a 20% chance that Jefferson would’ve fallen to us at 22.  Trading for Diggs guaranteed that we would land an bonafide WR1.  There would be no hoping or luck.  Beane took the bull by the horns and made a trade that transformed us from a wild card caliber team to a Super Bowl contender.  Meanwhile, Minnesota has missed the playoffs in 3 of Jefferson’s 4 seasons and has zero playoff wins. 

I remember all the mocks had lamb/jeudy/jefferson/ruggs in the top 10-15.  Jags didn't get a WR.  Jets didn't get a WR.  Giants didn't get a WR.  Lions didn't get a WR.  49ers waited even though they could've had Lamb.  Whatever happened between picks 18 and 21.  It just fell really weird that year.  

Most of us expected maybe Aiyuk, and talked ourselves into higgins at 22.  You trade the first, you get your guy - you give allen a true number 1.  Minnesota doesn't have to pay him, and they ended up getting the 5th off the board when most of us expected something like 7th.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I remember all the mocks had lamb/jeudy/jefferson/ruggs in the top 10-15.  Jags didn't get a WR.  Jets didn't get a WR.  Giants didn't get a WR.  Lions didn't get a WR.  49ers waited even though they could've had Lamb.  Whatever happened between picks 18 and 21.  It just fell really weird that year.  

Most of us expected maybe Aiyuk, and talked ourselves into higgins at 22.  You trade the first, you get your guy - you give allen a true number 1.  Minnesota doesn't have to pay him, and they ended up getting the 5th off the board when most of us expected something like 7th.  

Exactly-  I figured it would be Higgins or Aiyuk.  Reagor wasn’t even a thought- yet he was taken before Jefferson.  Just nuts

WR in round 1 please . We need to invest high in the position rather than waiting until middle to late rounds hoping we can develop someone. 

Nabers or Odunze . Harrison will be long gone 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I won’t mind that at all. I’m in love with Rome O but that is a pipe dream.  I also think we desperately need a stud pass rusher. 

but if there was ever a year to need a wr, this is the one.

Free agency is relatively stacked at WR and the draft is crazy this year. It might not be Odunze, but someone that's considered that tier of prospect will likely be available at our pick.

1 minute ago, DJB said:

WR in round 1 please . We need to invest high in the position rather than waiting until middle to late rounds hoping we can develop someone. 

Nabers or Odunze . Harrison will be long gone 

Obviously a lot can change between now and April, but Nabers is currently viewed as a top 10 pick. Odunze at the moment seems more attainable, but probably still out of reach for us barring a trade up. But there's like 10 WRs this year that have a chance of going in the first round so there will be talent available for sure.

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But it doesn’t change the fact that Jefferson is far better and younger as well. 

24 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

2017 - Corey Davis (bust), Mike Williams, Ross (bust) - 66%

2018 - DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley - 0%

2019 - Hollywood Brown (not a bust, but 1 1000 yard season in 5 isn't leaping off the page), Nkeal Harry - BUST - 50%

2020 - Ruggs (bust), Jeudy (0 1000 yard seasons, i'm leaning bust), Lamb, Reagor (Bust), Jefferson, Aiyuk.  3/6 - 50%

2021 - Chase, Waddle, Smith, Toney (Bust), Bateman (bust) - 2/5 - 40%

2022 - Too early to tell fully - but seems like a solid class.  London, Burks, Dotson all don't have QBs, and Williams is not getting snaps.  Olave and Wilson look solid even without good QBs.  

2023 - Obviously very early but feels like Johnston is headed towards bust territory. Addison and Zay are off to good starts and JSN could go either way.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Free agency is relatively stacked at WR and the draft is crazy this year. It might not be Odunze, but someone that's considered that tier of prospect will likely be available at our pick.

Obviously a lot can change between now and April, but Nabers is currently viewed as a top 10 pick. Odunze at the moment seems more attainable, but probably still out of reach for us barring a trade up. But there's like 10 WRs this year that have a chance of going in the first round so there will be talent available for sure.

Nabers is closer to Harrison than he is to Odunze for me. I’m completely sold that Nabers and Harrison are going to be top notch #1 WR stars. Odunze a possibility as well. 

I think all 3 are gone by 20 no doubt so we will need to trade up. It’s time for Beane to pay up and get us a stud to replace Diggs. 

Let the record show I want nothing to do with Coleman

Edited by DJB

Double-dip? Sure, in the 1st and maybe 5th. Definitely not 1 and 2 tho.

Between Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Cook (and even Knox) only so many balls to go around. Not worth wasting a high pick like another 2nd on a guy who wont get many touches.

34 minutes ago, mannc said:

They will be going Safety in round 1, and maybe WR in round 2.  Beane will say WR was a deeper position in the draft and they still got a good player, etc…

Both teams came out on top. The bills needed someone that could come in and be the number one right away as they were trying to figure out what they had in Allen. Diggs has delivered in spades. Minny got a prospect that turned into the best receiver in the league, but they were in a different situation as they already had thielen and had time to develop him. I’m not sure why you can’t see that. 

Id bet anything that we won’t take a safety in 1. I think that’s a firable offense for Beane considering how bad our receiving corp has looked. And it’s been talked about as nauseam how good McD is at developing DBs. He can get a safety in FA or in the mid rounds and he would be more than ok.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

That would be awesome but I can’t see them paying that since we don’t have any cap. 

It requires reallocating the cap spending.  Shed some defensive spending in Tre and probably Po along with jettisoning Sherfield.

IMO the WR hole is too important to hope a rookie can fill it.  I believe there was real interest in the FO for OBJ and DHop but they dropped out at a certain price point.  I wish they had been more aggressive and got one.  I wonder if Beane feels the same way.

My hope is a veteran WR for a 2 yr deal (to overlap Diggs) and get a rookie WR for the future.  There are some good veterans DHop and M Evans.  This should be the big FA spend.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

2023 - Obviously very early but feels like Johnston is headed towards bust territory. Addison and Zay are off to good starts and JSN could go either way.

Given every chance for playing time Johnston has been outplayed by Palmer.  Not a good look, even if you're just a rookie.  

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Double-dip? Sure, in the 1st and maybe 5th. Definitely not 1 and 2 tho.

Between Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Cook (and even Knox) only so many balls to go around. Not worth wasting a high pick like another 2nd on a guy who wont get many touches.

Definitely not, huh?  Even though there is a precedent with Beane when he identifies a weakness?

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

It’s still relevant to the trade itself but cool 👍

It is- the trade isn’t the topic at hand until the goal post was moved into a different country.  

But since the goal post was moved and people are now trying to make “who won the trade” into the topic-  I’ll play.  Do you think the Vikings win the trade if they don’t win a SB with Jefferson while the Bills win one with Diggs?  

The way I see it, we need 3 wrs next year, and I'm not talking the Harty, Sherfield, Mckenzies types.  Draft 2 recievers high, a 1a to eventually replace Diggs, 4th round draft a #3 that's better than Shakir, sign a decent #2.  I hope they don't sign Davis.  Wr should be the focus.  It has been neglected too much to have Josh Allen as your QB.  There should be competition at WR not handing starting positions to other teams castaways who have never done anything expecting them to do so here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Both teams came out on top. The bills needed someone that could come in and be the number one right away as they were trying to figure out what they had in Allen. Diggs has delivered in spades. Minny got a prospect that turned into the best receiver in the league, but they were in a different situation as they already had thielen and had time to develop him. I’m not sure why you can’t see that. 

Id bet anything that we won’t take a safety in 1. I think that’s a firable offense for Beane considering how bad our receiving corp has looked. And it’s been talked about as nauseam how good McD is at developing DBs. He can get a safety in FA or in the mid rounds and he would be more than ok.

I think it'd more likely be a DE than a safety in the first.  I can't see any of the top 3 WRs falling to Buffalo, and the drop off to the next group is pretty large.  One of the top 5 DE's seems more realistic.  

It is- the trade isn’t the topic at hand until the goal post was moved into a different country.  

But since the goal post was moved and people are now trying to make “who won the trade” into the topic-  I’ll play.  Do you think the Vikings win the trade if they don’t win a SB with Jefferson while the Bills win one with Diggs?  

A trade isn’t entirely evaluated based on SB’s though. 

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

@BADOLBILZ why is that so funny?

Because he's not even on an NFL 53 man roster?     If he makes your top 6 out of camp next year either something went very wrong or he had a huge career shift.  

There are always "futures" contract signings.........but the likes of Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shavers and Bryan Thompson chances of making the 53 and sticking........let alone making any notable impact.........should be considered very small.

Reality is that they could end up with only Diggs and Shakir as WR under contract heading into March who have played regularly in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Definitely not, huh?  Even though there is a precedent with Beane when he identifies a weakness?

There are several precedents at work with regards to Beane and the draft.

personally, I don’t think there’s zero chance of going WR in rd 1 and 2.  I’d guesstimate around 5%.

looking at our roster for next season (based on current contracts) DL is a massive weakness.  Much weaker than WR.  We have Ed, Rousseau, von and Jonathan to fill a 8-9 man rotation. 2 are currently good players.  

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Thanks for not answering the question.  

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think it'd more likely be a DE than a safety in the first.  I can't see any of the top 3 WRs falling to Buffalo, and the drop off to the next group is pretty large.  One of the top 5 DE's seems more realistic.  

The drop off is large?  Haha! Says who? You?!  Come on…this receiver class has at least 6-8 that are considered first round picks. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

And I disagree-  Winning super bowls is the ONLY thing that matters.  If one team wins one and the other doesn’t-  it’s clear who the winner is.  

we see this in a different light.  That’s cool. Agree to disagree. 

Just now, whorlnut said:

The drop off is large?  Haha! Says who? You?!  Come on…this receiver class has at least 6-8 that are considered first round picks. 

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze are the 3 that most mock drafts indicate will be the first 3 off the board, and are the consensus best prospects.  Obviously that doesn't mean that they'll be the best players, but they are the Chase/Waddle/Smith group at the top of the class.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I think this has yet to be determined.  I’d be shocked if the number were 7-8 but it is a valuable position.

I agree that there is a clear gap between the top 3 and everyone else.  Top 3 could all be top 10 picks.  I’d be shocked if there were another WR taken ahead of harrison, Nabers and Odunze.  But it’s early in the process, you never know

Edit:  but then again, the raiders could shock the world and take Leggette over one of those 3

Edited by NewEra

20 minutes ago, DJB said:

Nabers is closer to Harrison than he is to Odunze for me. I’m completely sold that Nabers and Harrison are going to be top notch #1 WR stars. Odunze a possibility as well. 

I think all 3 are gone by 20 no doubt so we will need to trade up. It’s time for Beane to pay up and get us a stud to replace Diggs. 

There is no way we trade up with all the holes we need to fill on the roster and our limited cap space. It’s actually a lot more likely we trade down and grab more picks.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'm cool with a trade up, if it makes sense, but am also enamored with Troy Franklin's size, speed and overall talent.  To the point where I'm hoping a trade up isn't necessary.  

Franklin is a gamebreaker.  

100% with you on Coleman.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.