Allen shoulder injury

HappyDays

17 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Every year is the same excuse and the same injury.  Not buying it. Source is Twitter and some no name? 

Dude, Just Stop.  It's not the same injury, and it's not just Twitter and "some no name".

14 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My guess is when the season ends a similar story will also be coming out about Diggs. Whether his will be surgery free or not, who knows, TBD??

I was of the same opinion until McD recently said Diggs has no injury.

Prior to that, I figured the Bills could hide behind omission of truth. Now, they would be outright lying. That would not go over well with the league office.

Im starting to think what McD said is true - we just aren’t going to him as much.

9 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Injuries only need to be reported it it is likely to affect his availability for the game.  

FYI - The following is direct from the NFL:

IMG-6094.jpg

19 hours ago, BigDingus said:

They should've just listed him as "Probable" in the weekly injury reports, as that would at least take SOME of the heat off him.

Joe Burrow got a free pass for being one of the worst QBs in the league the first 3 or 4 weeks (statistically), as did Lawrence for recent struggles. I don't buy the excuse "that'll just make people target him more!" either. They're already trying to do that, especially since they know they'll get opportunities with him running a lot.

If the injury is anywhere as notable as that tweet makes it out to be, they're doing him a disservice by trying to hide it.

If that was still a designation that would be an option. However you can only use questionable and doubtful now.

make sense,  passing game looks terrible,  its not all Allen,  but most of it is.   betting we see something injury wise about Diggs as well after the season.   he just doesnt look right since about midway.   its not just the numbers that make me think this.

team has covered up lingering injury issues before.  smells the same.  getting it done with smoke and mirrors every season it seems.

hard to win it all with key players gone or playing sub 80% health.

Edited by bigduke6

52 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Prior to that, I figured the Bills could hide behind omission of truth. Now, they would be outright lying. That would not go over well with the league office.

Im starting to think what McD said is true - we just aren’t going to him as much.

IMG-6094.jpg

Well I'll believe it when the season ends.

Wasn't Diggs on the injury report back around late Oct, something with his back.  Maybe still lingering effects and Bills feel since he was on injury report for it initially, they can get around it and whatever fine they get, so be it?? 

Allen isn't on the injury report anymore either, but he even said something about the shoulder maybe a week ago, kind of implying it's much better, but could read what he said as not 100%.  Add to that the post yesterday about when the season ends, the whole story will come out about it.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

IMG-6094.jpg

You should include the full context

Some injuries are automatically reportable because they result in the player’s unavailability or
limited availability to the club. These include any injury that:
(a) causes the player to miss a game;
(b) prevents the player from finishing a game;
(c) causes the player to miss a practice (Did Not Participate);
(d) limits the player’s participation in practice (Limited Participation); or
(e) prevents the player from finishing a practice (Limited Participation).
Other injuries may be reportable because of their effect upon the player’s performance despite
his continuing availability to the club.
As one example, assume a club’s quarterback suffers an injury to a finger of his right (throwing)
hand during the club’s first game of the season. After treatment, he is able to finish the game
despite his injury. Given the injury’s effect upon the player’s performance, and the fact that he is
a key player, the injury must be listed on the club’s Practice Report each day of the following
week, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the club is certain that he will
play in the club’s next game.
In such a case, the player should be listed as
“Full Participation (right finger)” in the Practice Report, but would not be listed in the club’s Game Status Report for
Week 2 because the player is certain to play in the club’s upcoming game.
See Section 2 (Game Status Report) on page 5. The club must continue to list the player on its weekly Practice Reports
until the player’s injury no longer affects the player’s performance.

There's obviously some weasel words.  If the Bills felt Allen's shoulder injury no longer affected his performance (taking him off injury report before Week 17), they're allowed to say "that's what we thought based on practice and the report from our head trainer, but whoops".  It's also possible that he got a "ding" early in the game that re-aggrevated it and affected him.

On the Diggs thing, I believe McDermott's actual words were something like "no significant injuries".  By this time in the season, almost all the players have various dings and bruises.  So as long as he's taking every rep in practice and there's no question he's going to play, there are all kinds of weaseling. 

Remember the NFL concluded the Bills did NOT violate their injury policy

when they had Jerry Hughes (their best pass rusher) on injury report only for "Vet Rest" then he got post-season tendon surgery on his wrist and revealed he'd been playing all season with torn wrist ligaments.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Ok so not on the report, not hurt. He just stinks right now. 

For some reason, a lot of Bills fans simply can't accept that Josh is a very inconsistent player.

People say things like "Where did Josh go?" when he looks terrible for a couple of games. And then they say "OH, he's back.  We found him again!" when he plays lights out.

No, Josh was here the whole time.  It's who he is.  You never know what you're going to get exactly.

We are going to have trouble winning a Super Bowl with him, b/c without No.1 seeding, we are going to need FOUR GAMES IN A ROW agains the cream of the league...and asking Josh to play with that level of consistency is a tall order.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

You should include the full context

There was no additional context that was relevant. I see you bolded "may be reportable", which is irrelevant, considering our situation involves a key player that the very next paragraph states clearly "must be listed".

Therefore, the entire context for the situation we are speaking of, was included...

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

There's obviously some weasel words.  If the Bills felt Allen's shoulder injury no longer affected his performance (taking him off injury report before Week 17), they're allowed to say "that's what we thought based on practice and the report from our head trainer, but whoops".  It's also possible that he got a "ding" early in the game that re-aggrevated it and affected him.

I guess they could.

But the NFL could also say "Yeah, nice try, here is a nice fat fine". Like they did with the Falcons just two weeks ago. And the Steelers a couple years ago.

But maybe the team figures "those fine are worth it". Especially since they're "fat" for a fan but not for a billion dollar team.

Edited by Einstein

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

For some reason, a lot of Bills fans simply can't accept that Josh is a very inconsistent player.

People say things like "Where did Josh go?" when he looks terrible for a couple of games. And then they say "OH, he's back.  We found him again!" when he plays lights out.

No, Josh was here the whole time.  It's who he is.  You never know what you're going to get exactly.

We are going to have trouble winning a Super Bowl with him, b/c without No.1 seeding, we are going to need FOUR GAMES IN A ROW agains the cream of the league...and asking Josh to play with that level of consistency is a tall order.

I agree 100% here.  

Wow, just wow! Fans like you make my chaotic side long for another QB carousel stretch, and it most likely will happen once Josh retires. I can't wait. How ridiculously spoiled and entitled Bills fans have become.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It has been theorized by many that Allen has been struggling with some kind of shoulder injury this season. Apparent confirmation here:

FWIW CJ Caggiano is a reputable insider, I've followed him for a while. Every year he has schedule leaks that turn out to be correct, and he has given a couple injury updates that turned out to be correct as well.

Take the info how you will, but if true it could possibly explain some of the recent mechanical issues Allen has had on some of his throws.

This has nothing to do with the accuracy of what he is saying...but this guy is a total tool for telling everyone Josh has a shoulder injury but then saying well I won't say exactly what it is until after the season because I was told to keep it confidential.  Are you serious?  How is telling everyone about the injury keeping the injury confidentail?  What an idiot.  And then says I want to keep it confidential for "competitive integrity" reasons...but AGAIN you did NOT keep it confidential, you just told everyone he has a shoulder injury so if they want to target that shoulder they can.  Doesn't matter he didn't say the specifics of the shoulder, all any opponent needed to know is that his shoulder has some sort of issue.  

CJ who are dumb as rocks.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No offense, but its hard to take anything you say seriously when you have one note...one speed...at all times and that is always the negative view on everything.  There are a handful of you that I can't fathom how you are Bills fans as you seem hate everyone associated with the team and only ever "like" or approve of negative posts and themes on this board.  

And this take on Josh is another prime example of over the top negative outlook.   If you just had some balance it would be one thing, but you and a few others just always exaggerate things to the highest level of negativity which then just ruins your point because it goes from something that might have had some relevance to over the top nonsense.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but its hard to take anything you say seriously when you have one note...one speed...at all times and that is always the negative view on everything.  There are a handful of you that I can't fathom how you are Bills fans as you seem hate everyone associated with the team and only ever "like" or approve of negative posts and themes on this board.  

And this take on Josh is another prime example of over the top negative outlook.   If you just had some balance it would be one thing, but you and a few others just always exaggerate things to the highest level of negativity which then just ruins your point because it goes from something that might have had some relevance to over the top nonsense.  

🙌Right? This is silly and makes me side eye if these people are actually Bills fans. I mean, of course we all get frustrated when Josh is careless with the ball, throws a boneheaded INT(usually good for one per game), BUT, he is the driving force behind this team. The glue that holds it together. Accounts for about 85% of TD's. He is on the cover of Madden and getting endorsement deals for a reason. These things aren't just handed out. He is a star and our shining hope for attracting other star talents to this team, because most free agents don't want to just come to small market/cold Buffalo for no good reason. Josh GIVES us a reason for them to come here. I need someone to tell me one playoff game, outside of maybe Houston, where Josh was the reason we didn't advance to the SB? Chiefs in the AFCCG? They were a lot better, and we kept kicking field goals. Chiefs in the divisional? Josh was flawless and most definitely could have taken us to the SB and WON it for us if we hang on for 13 freaking seconds? Divisional last year? Wasn't his best game, but that game was a total team failure, it was not all on him. We always have a chance with him. We might not with our next QB. Blows my mind anyone would say we can't win a SB with him at QB, when he is the main reason we have a chance at all 😒

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is a pretty outrageous take. The only reason we have a shot at a SB is because of JA17. And as long as we have JA17 we have a shot at the SB. Do you think we'd have been better off keeping Tyrod? :rolleyes: There have been A LOT worse QB's than JA17 who've hoisted a Lombardi when you go through the history of the NFL as a whole. Just from recent memory here are a few:

Ben Ro has 2.

Eli has 2.

Nick Foles.

Joe Flacco.

Trent Dilfer.

Brad Johnson.

You think any of those guys are better than JA? Yeah, none of them are and they have Lombardi's to their credit.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

Wow, just wow! Fans like you make my chaotic side long for another QB carousel stretch, and it most likely will happen once Josh retires. I can't wait. How ridiculously spoiled and entitled Bills fans have become.

What is the point of winning 10+ games a season only to not even make it to the Super Bowl? I've been a fan for decades and the pain of losing Homerun Throwback or off of Flutie turnovers and the Dolphins (their last playoff win) or to the Jags TWICE or 13 seconds or laying an egg v. the Bengals is MORE than just having losing seasons with AVP, Collins, Losman, Edwards or Tryrod as QB. Give me a break... this team had a TON of talent and it's been wasted and Josh has to share at least some of that blame... not all, not mostly, but some.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Gaaaaaaah!

So Buffalo Bills Injury report just came out

Allen is on the injury report for "Neck" and "Right finger"

Finger on his throwing hand

Please remove sharp objects from my vicinity

I knew it.

I saw him keep shaking his right hand during the game.

Maybe a broken finger like Herbert ?

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I knew it.

I think that's the stinger that's traveling down to his finger. If so, probably nothing to see here. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bills742 said:

I think that's the stinger that's traveling down to his finger. If so, probably nothing to see here. 

The stinger supposedly occurred on the last play before he left the game and Kyle Allen came in.

11 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I knew it.

I dunno, but when I've injured a hand and when my daughter has broken fingers, shaking her hand has been the last thing she wants to do.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

What is the point of winning 10+ games a season only to not even make it to the Super Bowl? I've been a fan for decades and the pain of losing Homerun Throwback or off of Flutie turnovers and the Dolphins (their last playoff win) or to the Jags TWICE or 13 seconds or laying an egg v. the Bengals is MORE than just having losing seasons with AVP, Collins, Losman, Edwards or Tryrod as QB. Give me a break... this team had a TON of talent and it's been wasted and Josh has to share at least some of that blame... not all, not mostly, but some.

So Josh is the reason we have not made the SB? Josh has gotten us close. You think going to the SB is easy? Some teams have never gone at all. We may never get there. A whole bunch of things need to align to get there. Lamar has never been, but his team went out in the off season and got him some legit weapons, and they may get there because of that. For the Bills, it's been year after year of expecting Josh to put on a cape and be Superman. It's not fair to him. He can't carry the team alone, but he has come pretty damn close. It's just silly to wish for another QB because the one you have right now, one who is regarded right up there with Mahomes, has not taken the team to the SB. It's not like we are going 7-9 every season. 

23 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It has been theorized by many that Allen has been struggling with some kind of shoulder injury this season. Apparent confirmation here:

FWIW CJ Caggiano is a reputable insider, I've followed him for a while. Every year he has schedule leaks that turn out to be correct, and he has given a couple injury updates that turned out to be correct as well.

Take the info how you will, but if true it could possibly explain some of the recent mechanical issues Allen has had on some of his throws.

I don’t buy this at all.  First off who in the blue hell is CJ Caggiano and how does he have better sources than anyone else in the NFL.  

Smell the BS

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t buy this at all.  First off who in the blue hell is CJ Caggiano and how does he have better sources than anyone else in the NFL.  

Smell the BS

Well maybe he does have a source, but we know it's not something like a Grade 3 AC-joint sprain that you physically can't play though, or a Drew Brees-esque complete rotator cuff tear, or a broken scapula, or whatever else. 

If he's playing through it, structurally it has to be intact. 

I think Bills fans jump to the he must be secretly hurt more card a lot whenever a player doesn't play well. 

We know he's got a ton of bumps and bruises. He took huge shots on that shoulder in the Giants game. He got drilled in the head in the Patriots game. 

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

There was no additional context that was relevant. I see you bolded "may be reportable", which is irrelevant, considering our situation involves a key player that the very next paragraph states clearly "must be listed".

Therefore, the entire context for the situation we are speaking of, was included...

I should probably let this go but...

You were responding to this post:

20 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

If he didn’t receive treatment, they don’t have to report it.

You posted this:

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

IMG-6094.jpg

The full context is relevant, because when you look at the entirety of the NFL's blurb, we see this:

Some injuries are automatically reportable because they result in the player’s unavailability or
limited availability to the club. These include any injury that:
(a) causes the player to miss a game;
(b) prevents the player from finishing a game;
(c) causes the player to miss a practice (Did Not Participate);
(d) limits the player’s participation in practice (Limited Participation); or
(e) prevents the player from finishing a practice (Limited Participation).

So @johndhall1 has a point that if (a) through (e) aren't true, it isn't true that the injury MUST be reported.  He is incorrect about treatment being the deciding factor though.  it's missing a game or part of a game, or missing a practice or part of a practice.

Then we get to the "weasel words" section, in which, even if (a) through (e) aren't true

Other injuries may be reportable because of their effect upon the player’s performance despite his continuing availability to the club.

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Basically, if an injury has the possibility to affect a players performance, it must be reported.

That's simply not true.  We have "may be" and we have "the possibility" and "given the fact that he is a key player".  There are lots of weasel words. 

Now - any injury to the QB, or to the key RB on a run-is-our-bread-n-butter team, and it would be very hard for the club to argue that he isn't a key player.

I'm pretty sure I could draft your response to this, and it won't be to understand or acknowledge the point that the NFL's injury report policy is a lot less cut and dried and has a lot more room for interpretation than you seem to think it does.  So one philosophy is "why bother?" but it seems worth clarifying in case anyone else is interested. 

As pointed out in the Khalil Shakir thread, Jerry Hughes appeared on the injury report as "vet rest" during a year when he later had ligament surgery and revealed he'd been playing with torn ligaments most of the season, and the NFL concluded that the Bills had done nothing wrong.  I can't comment about the Falcons and other fine issues you allude to because I haven't been following them.  But it's not automatic.

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Gaaaaaaah!

So Buffalo Bills Injury report just came out

Allen is on the injury report for "Neck" and "Right finger"

Finger on his throwing hand

Please remove sharp objects from my vicinity

Yeah, keep giving Miller veteran rest days?

51 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Smell the BS

Well, @HappyDays , who has some sources, says this guy has broken some good info later confirmed.

The shoulder injury is not some top-secret ooga booga.  Josh has been on the injury report up until this past week.  At the time of the injury, Josh acknowledged it and injury spotters/analysts like Kyle Trimble (Banged Up Bills) said the mechanism was consistent with an AC joint sprain.    It's lingered past the point where a Grade 1 sprain is likely so it's likely Grade 2 (more tearing).

The only new info is the implication that there's something going on besides an AC joint sprain, which someone else in the twitter thread threw out a suggestion about (and his abbreviation doesn't line up, but the general idea is a secondary inflammatory process).  But the fact that Josh was actually throwing OK right after the injury and has since plummeted in completion percentage and passing attempts per game, is entirely consistent with playing through the original injury leading to a secondary problem.

And yeah, @Alphadawg7 is completely on-the-mark in my opinion that the guy is a total tool for his schtick of "telling everyone Josh has a shoulder injury but then saying well I won't say exactly what it is until after the season because I was told to keep it confidential" (but I'll say it's an AC joint injury but more than just an AC injury).

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The stinger supposedly occurred on the last play before he left the game and Kyle Allen came in.

I dunno, but when I've injured a hand and when my daughter has broken fingers, shaking her hand has been the last thing she wants to do.

I admit it's pure speculation on my part but one poster said during Josh's post game interview that Josh had trouble "getting a spiral on the ball" which contributed to his accuracy issues in the first half.

Most posters immediately assumed bad Josh showed up when in fact a finger issue was probably the problem

8 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Cut him some slack, he’s a sports journalist.

CJ Caggiano?  Nah, he's not a sports journalist, he's just a "guy who knows a guy".

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I admit it's pure speculation on my part but one poster said during Josh's post game interview that Josh had trouble "getting a spiral on the ball" which contributed to his accuracy issues in the first half.

Most posters immediately assumed bad Josh showed up when in fact a finger issue was probably the problem

I'm confused a bit here, is that what Josh said in his post game interview? 

Edited by Beck Water

I had my suspicions since the Giants game when he took a hit and landed on his right shoulder with the weight of the defender on top of him.  Josh grabbed his right shoulder quickly after that as if it was injured.  During the Chargers game Chris Collinsworth did confirm he is playing with an injured shoulder while they were replaying Gabe’s TD he said Josh has a "bad shoulder". 

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I Know, Right?  Except most of his "inside information" was publicly available since Week 6. 

If Josh actually needed surgery and had a condition the Bills thought would be worsened by continuing to play, I do not think the Bills would keep putting him out there.

If anyone questions the "week 6" thing, here' s a link to Banged Up Bills Week 6 Injury Review.

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/17/buffalo-bills-vs-new-york-giants-week-6-injury-review/

So there we have it.  Allen suffered an AC Joint sprain Week 6 vs the Giants.  It is evidently Grade 2 (since it's lingered more than Grade 1) but not Grade 3 (since no surgery).

The Bills duly put Allen on the Injury Report and he has "DNP" a couple times early in the week. 

Trimble also has a diagram of what a normal shoulder, and 3 different grades of sprain in the shoulder, look like if anyone wants to see.

I had a full Grade III in 97' and I agree he wouldn't be playing.  You do surgery on that sucker asap.  I agree he has a grade II which hurts like hell and most likely some rotator cuff impingement / fraying.   They might do a minor clean out when the season is over if that's what he has to make sure no bone fragments are in there and keep arthritis down. 

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, @HappyDays , who has some sources, says this guy has broken some good info later confirmed.

The shoulder injury is not some top-secret ooga booga.  Josh has been on the injury report up until this past week.  At the time of the injury, Josh acknowledged it and injury spotters/analysts like Kyle Brandt (Banged Up Bills) said the mechanism was consistent with an AC joint sprain.    It's lingered past the point where a Grade 1 sprain is likely so it's likely Grade 2 (more tearing).

The only new info is the implication that there's something going on besides an AC joint sprain, which someone else in the twitter thread threw out a suggestion about (and his abbreviation doesn't line up, but the general idea is a secondary inflammatory process).  But the fact that Josh was actually throwing OK right after the injury and has since plummeted in completion percentage and passing attempts per game, is entirely consistent with playing through the original injury leading to a secondary problem.

And yeah, @Alphadawg7 is completely on-the-mark in my opinion that the guy is a total tool for his schtick of "telling everyone Josh has a shoulder injury but then saying well I won't say exactly what it is until after the season because I was told to keep it confidential" (but I'll say it's an AC joint injury but more than just an AC injury).

Hey @Beck Water Banged up Bills is a real life PT named Kyle Trimble.  Kyle Brandt is the Angry Runs guy from NFLN.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So who are the NFL QB you view as perfectly consistent players?

Just now, JohnNord said:

Hey @Beck Water Banged up Bills is a real life PT named Kyle Trimble.  Kyle Brandt is the Angry Runs guy from NFLN.  

Whups, sorry.  I know that well - brain lapse

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.