Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys 8:15 pm

T&C

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

68 was legal if he reported. The illegal formation they actually called was on 70 because they thought he reported. He was covered up. Can’t have 2 eligible WRs on the line. They thought 70 was eligible because the ref said he reported.

A tackle who reports still has to be lined up in an eligible position to go out for a pass. He wasn't the third lineman to the left of the center. He was the second, and thus the illegal touching penalty. 

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, bills742 said:

I don't think he would admit making a mistake so he's just covering for himself.

Normally we don’t hear from refs after big calls.

Also sometimes the mind can play tricks on you. He might actually believe 70 reported based on all the times he reported during the game. He got careless and should’ve confirmed it knowing the situation was huge.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

A tackle who reports still has to be lined up in an eligible position to go out for a pass. He wasn't the third lineman to the left of the center. He was the second, and thus the illegal touching penalty. 

Incorrect.  You can do offset formations.  The formation here would be TE-G-C-G-T-T.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

He was in eligible position. You need 7 men on the line, that’s all. If 68 reported, their formation was legal.

• Agree 2

He was in eligible position. You need 7 men on the line, that’s all. If 68 reported, their formation was legal.

68 was covered by the wr who was on the end of the line on the right, was he not? Only 2 wr's on the line of scrimmage can be eligible, and have to be on the end. 

Just now, Motorin' said:

68 was covered by the wr who was on the end of the line on the right, was he not? Only 2 wr's on the line of scrimmage can be eligible, and have to be on the end. 

No. The WR in his left (Reynolds) was off the line so Decker was properly uncovered. It was a legal formation, just unbalanced OLine. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Motorin' said:

Wr on 68 side was off the line. 

They did actually call illegal formation along with illegal touching on 68. The illegal formation was 70 being covered.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

He was uncovered, WR lined up off the line and confirmed being off with the official prior to setting.

Just now, Avisan said:

He was uncovered, WR lined up off the line and confirmed being off with the official prior to setting.

That wr was lined up as close to the line of scrimmage as the wr on the end of the line on the opposite side. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

No. The WR in his left (Reynolds) was off the line so Decker was properly uncovered. It was a legal formation, just unbalanced OLine. 

Reynolds was twice as close to the line than KC's OT's line up, lol. 

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Statistics say go for 2 there because you don't even know for sure if you'll get the ball in OT. If you do you have to execute an entire drive. A lot can go wrong. One play for 7 yards for the win gives you the best shot even though it's not ideal. It's not as clear cut as it would be from the 2 but I understand his decision.

Well with that failure... I suspect the Stats will be going in the other direction.

😆 

There is undoubtedly audio available from every individual involved in this place. For the ref and for whichever Lions players actually said something.  Whether it’s from a microphone for NFL films footage or from a player who is wearing a mic, it’s there somewhere. 

This has to be released by the league. You think you’ve seen every way the refs can possibly sabotage a game and then something egregious like this happens. 

Something about the officiating has to change. It is legitimately past the point of compromising the integrity of the game. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why didn’t Detroit correct it?

Personally I don’t believe that the burden should be on them in this situation. It seems as though they did what they were supposed to do. 

Detroit “correcting it” is literally them doing the refs job for them. Players try to correct refs on bad/missed calls all the time and we all know how well that works out. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Something about the officiating has to change. It is legitimately past the point of compromising the integrity of the game. 

Audio and video wouldn’t prove anything other than referee Brad Allen made a mistake due to getting a little sloppy on his mechanics of ineligible lineman reporting and the Lions trickery being a little too good for their own good. 

All of which we already assume to be true. 

Why didn’t Detroit correct it?

They probably never heard it in the first place given the fact that it was loud and they were focusing on running the play. 

But even if they did hear the announcement, how do you want them to correct it without (1) taking long enough to get a delay of game and (2) without being like “Hey guys, it’s me, #68, I’m the one that’s supposed to sneak into the end zone and catch the game winner” without making it blatantly obvious to the defense at that point? They would have wanted to run an entirely different play instead. 

3 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

There is undoubtedly audio available from every individual involved in this place. For the ref and for whichever Lions players actually said something.  Whether it’s from a microphone for NFL films footage or from a player who is wearing a mic, it’s there somewhere. 

This has to be released by the league. You think you’ve seen every way the refs can possibly sabotage a game and then something egregious like this happens. 

Personally I don’t believe that the burden should be on them in this situation. It seems as though they did what they were supposed to do. 

Detroit “correcting it” is literally them doing the refs job for them. Players try to correct refs on bad/missed calls all the time and we all know how well that works out. 

Detroit purposely tried to disguise who was reporting. So in this case yes, they should’ve made sure the ref had the right player.

Doesn’t excuse the ref as he rushed it for no reason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

In what world do they Lions hear 70 being reported as eligible and think it's going to be ok throwing to 68? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

They probably never heard it in the first place given the fact that it was loud and they were focusing on running the play. 

But even if they did hear the announcement, how do you want them to correct it without (1) taking long enough to get a delay of game and (2) without being like “Hey guys, it’s me, #68, I’m the one that’s supposed to sneak into the end zone and catch the game winner” without making it blatantly obvious to the defense at that point? They would have wanted to run an entirely different play instead. 

If you’re running a trick play and trying to disguise the reporting lineman I would think that you’d be aware of who the ref actually reports as eligible.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Statistics say go for 2 there because you don't even know for sure if you'll get the ball in OT. If you do you have to execute an entire drive. A lot can go wrong. One play for 7 yards for the win gives you the best shot even though it's not ideal. It's not as clear cut as it would be from the 2 but I understand his decision.

Dallas doesn't know if they'll get the ball in OT either so I don't get that logic.  Maybe he didn't trust Badgley to make a 38 yard extra point.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That's not correct. The Lions had an unbalanced line which is legal. Decker, after reporting in, is basically a tight end. There is no rule about number of people on either side of the center. If Decker reported in, which he clearly did, the Lions formation is legal. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If you’re running a trick play and trying to disguise the reporting lineman I would think that you’d be aware of who the ref actually reports as eligible.

I don’t think that’s a reasonable assumption at all. One player reported as eligible and the ref acknowledged him. They all did their job perfectly and then turned around and started listening to their QB who was talking as the stadium announced it. Players are too busy and too focused to have to listen to a stadium announcement too, especially when they safely assume they already know what the stadium is announcing.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

In what world do they Lions hear 70 being reported as eligible and think it's going to be ok throwing to 68? 

The Lions had no timeouts left, they had no recourse, assuming they even heard the announcement (a big assumption as the announcement was not audible on the broadcast)   

Aside from the two point play controversy, I noticed many plays where the Lions player running with the ball and tackled in the field, had the ball spotted at least a yard from where it was when his knee went down.  There was even a play near the end of the 4th quarter where the Lions RB got past the 10 yard line, setting up a first and goal, but the ball was at the 11!  Maybe this is a one-yard Cowboys home game tax that opposing RBs and receivers are required to pay.  

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The Lions had no timeouts left, they had no recourse, assuming they even heard the announcement (a big assumption as the announcement was not audible on the broadcast)   

What I was thinking. This is sort of a stinky deal. Sure, it seems the refs made a mistake. They also announced the mistake they made before the ball was snapped. The Lions most certainly heard it but as you said, no time outs. It would have been nice for somebody from the Lions or Cowboys to have commented on this specific aspect. Detroit handled it post game reasonably well. It's not like they just torched the earth. But they did make it seem like they had no awareness that confusion could have occurred pre play. They could have taken the penalty and kicked. 

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Detroit purposely tried to disguise who was reporting. So in this case yes, they should’ve made sure the ref had the right player.

Doesn’t excuse the ref as he rushed it for no reason.

I have a problem with the ref apparently not hearing Decker right in front of him declaring as eligible, but he does hear #70 declare from much further away as he’s running into the field and who never actually said a word to the ref.

My best guess is the ref was in autopilot, just going through the motions of how the declaration of eligibility normally mechanically plays out and just assumed 70 running towards him was declaring.

This is the best job I can do trying to defend the ref, it was careless and not worthy of continued employment in the NFL. The league needs to send a clear message that this nonchalant approach to officiating won’t be tolerated.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I just want to add besides the absurd ending, the officials missed a blatant PI on jourdan lewis.  He was all over the lions wr before and after the ball was thrown and there was no flag...they just let dallas do it on that final drive but the lions overcame it.  

It must be January….

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

People will be fired in the off season for this.  The NFL referees have had a very bad season.  Looks like the league should do an overhaul of the officiating.   

Regrettably, no. Useless Goodell will say studies show the refs are doing a great job. It’s easy to despise elements of the NFL.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Just ridiculous how the NFL finds new and exciting ways to screw up big moments in big games. And it always seems to hurt the same teams.

If you ever get a Bills-Lions Superbowl, the poor refs won't know who to favor with selective incompetence.

• Thank you (+1) 3

It seems like a major screw up by Brad Allen and his crew.  The league is now going into damage control and claiming that #70 reported but all of the video (and audio) will point otherwise.

I know we’ve seen the officiating crew converse on the field and also for the “sky judge” to step in and help make the ruling.  I’m not sure why this didn’t happen 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

refs have and will continue to ruin the game.

Referee Brad Allen may have cost the Detroit Lions a win against the Dallas Cowboys

ref screws detroit

We at Touchdown Wire have had issues with referee Brad Allen before, and with good reason. And now, it’s entirely possible that Allen and his crew cost the Detroit Lions a win they should have had.

Not that any pool report from such an unreliable referee would be worth the paper it’s printed on, but it will be certainly interesting to see what — if anything — Allen and/or VP of Officiating Walt Anderson have anything to say about it. Right now, it seems that Allen missed Decker’s attempt to report as eligible. If that’s the case, Allen cost the Lions a potential win, and given every other grievous error he’s made this season, he should never be allowed to have this position in the NFL ever again.

It’s as simple as that.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen completely screwed the Lions. That should end his career as a ref, and it, and the many other failures, big and small, of the officials this season, ought to cause the NFL to do something about the erratic reffing in the league. 

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.