Bills Now Control Their Own Destiny

Motorin'

The Bills of course have to take care of business. If they do, they need just 1 of 13 results to go in their favor in order to control their own destiny.

Rooting Interests

Week 16

✓ Steelers over Bengals 

Texans over Browns

Falcons over Colts 

Bucs over Jags

Cowboys over Fins 

Any one of these results occur this week, and if the Bills beat the Chargers, they control their own destiny. 

Week 17

Raiders over Colts

Jets over Browns

Ravens over Fins 

Chiefs over Bengals

Panthers over Jags

If all 5 games go against the Bills in week 16, then any 1 of these 5 results would allow the Bills to control their own destiny if they beat the Pats.

Week 18

Browns over Bengals

Texans over Colts

Titans over Jags 

If it comes down to week 18 and all 10 games have gone against the Bills, then just one of these games need to go the Bills way to make the playoffs, coupled with a win over the Fins. 

Kudos to @ImpactCorey for finding the one path to missing the playoffs at 11-7, which reveals the 13 possible paths for the Bills to control their own destiny. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 16

The 2 teams that are the biggest issue are the Bengals and the Broncos due to the head to head on us. If we win tonight and next week and the Broncos drop just one game, they can't catch us. And the Bengals have to drop 2 of their next 3. Also would help if the Texans lose 2 of 3 as well. I believe but am not positive that we could have a playoff spot clinched going into week 18 of we win the next 2, The Broncos lose 1, the Bengals and Texans lose both of their games. None of those 3 teams would be able to catch us at that point. I believe this would put us in a game against Miami where we can either win the division with a win or get the 6th or 7th seed with a loss. While possible, is unlikely however and it would be best to just win out. Let's go Bills

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The Bills of course have to take care of business. If they do, they need just 1 of 13 results to go in their favor in order to control their own destiny.

Rooting Interests

Week 16

Steelers over Bengals 

Texans over Browns

Falcons over Colts 

Bucs over Jags

Cowboys over Fins 

Any one of these results occur this week, and if the Bills beat the Chargers, they control their own destiny. 

Week 17

Raiders over Colts

Jets over Browns

Ravens over Fins 

Chiefs over Bengals

Panthers over Jags

If all 5 games go against the Bills in week 16, then any 1 of these 5 results would allow the Bills to control their own destiny if they beat the Pats.

Week 18

Browns over Bengals

Texans over Colts

Titans over Jags 

If it comes down to week 18 and all 10 games have gone against the Bills, then just one of these games need to go the Bills way to make the playoffs, coupled with a win over the Fins. 

Kudos to @ImpactCorey for finding the one path to missing the playoffs at 11-7, which reveals the 13 possible paths for the Bills to control their own destiny. 

Why the Texans over Browns? I would much rather have the Texans lose. Knock another team down out of the wild card race. The Browns pretty much have theirs locked up. Also, root for the Jags to win their division. They have the head to head on us

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Rooting Interests

Week 16

Steelers over Bengals 

Texans over Browns

Falcons over Colts 

Bucs over Jags

Cowboys over Fins 

Truthfully, I see the possibility of a LOT going Buffalo's way this week.

I think the Steelers, even with Mason Rudolph have a shot. No Chase this week to bail Browning out. Steelers still have a good defense and always play for Tomlin.

Browns SHOULD handle Houston without Stroud.

Falcons are a mixed bag. But they are at home and I like their chances. Arthur Smith  is terrible, though.

Jags have been free falling and Duval Barbie is banged up. Baker and the Bucs played excellent ball last week. 

Dolphins feeling themselves after squashing the lowly Jets last week, while Dallas is looking to rebound. Dallas isn't great on the road, Miami is better at home but they struggle against good teams. My only worry here is that the Bills just handed Miami a blueprint to win this game with Mosert and Achane. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The 2 teams that are the biggest issue are the Bengals and the Broncos due to the head to head on us. If we win tonight and next week and the Broncos drop just one game, they can't catch us. And the Bengals have to drop 2 of their next 3. Also would help if the Texans lose 2 of 3 as well. I believe but am not positive that we could have a playoff spot clinched going into week 18 of we win the next 2, The Broncos lose 1, the Bengals and Texans lose both of their games. None of those 3 teams would be able to catch us at that point. I believe this would put us in a game against Miami where we can either win the division with a win or get the 6th or 7th seed with a loss. While possible, is unlikely however and it would be best to just win out. Let's go Bills

Why the Texans over Browns? I would much rather have the Texans lose. Knock another team down out of the wild card race. The Browns pretty much have theirs locked up. Also, root for the Jags to win their division. They have the head to head on us

A Browns loss to the Texans guarantees that the Browns v Bengals matchup will eliminate one of them from getting to 11 wins.

And the Texans play the Colts, so one of them will not make it to 11 wins. 

Also the Broncos are a game back of us, so they are not a threat of the Bills win out. 

Edited by Motorin'

23 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Keep it simple win out and have the Dolphins lose to either Dallas or Baltimore.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

A Browns loss to the Texans guarantees that the Browns v Bengals matchup will eliminate one of them from getting to 11 wins.

Also the Broncos are a game back of us, so they are not a threat of the Bills win out. 

But you can't automatically think that the Bills are gonna win out. We want the Texans, Bengals and Broncos to lose as much as possible so that a loss to the Dolphins still gets us in a wild card

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

shocked the princess bride GIF

Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

But you can't automatically think that the Bills are gonna win out. We want the Texans, Bengals and Broncos to lose as much as possible so that a loss to the Dolphins still gets us in a wild card

There's probably 6 or 8 different combinations of scenarios where the Bills lose to the Fins and sneak in as a Wild Card. 

That's a scenario that I'm refusing to think about. I'm on the "take control of our own destiny and don't look back train."

58 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Rooting Interests

Week 16

Steelers over Bengals 

Texans over Browns

Falcons over Colts 

Bucs over Jags

Cowboys over Fins 

Week 17

Raiders over Colts

Jets over Browns

Ravens over Fins 

Chiefs over Bengals

Panthers over Jags

Week 18

Browns over Bengals

Texans over Colts

Titans over Jags 

I don't agree with Texans over Browns.  Texans loss puts us controlling our own destiny this week.  Browns does not as they would have to lose another game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

There's probably 6 or 8 different combinations of scenarios where the Bills lose to the Fins and sneak in as a Wild Card. 

That's a scenario that I'm refusing to think about. I'm on the "take control of our own destiny and don't look back train."

There isn't really that many. The Bengals and Broncos have the head to head. They are the biggest problem that stands in our way. We don't want the Texans winning either. Every Texans win makes our chances of getting in with a loss to the Dolphins that much harder. The Texans, Bengals and Broncos need to lose. If we win the next 2 and the Broncos lose one, they can't catch us at all even with a loss to Miami. The Texans and Bengals losing makes it easier as well. I promise you, we don’t want any of these teams winning. If the Texans do win the next 2 let's say and we win the next 2 and lose to Dolphins, you're gonna be sorry you wanted that

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

But a Texans loss already has us there this week.  The rest is moot.  ESPN playoff machine is not working for me for some reason anymore.  NYT still has us at 99% with a Browns loss but 100% with a Texans loss.

Edited by Scott7975

I posted in other thread about scenarios where buffalo could clinch a wildcard spot before week 18 starts.

Buffalo WW and assume CLE has 10+ wins thus only one other WC spot team can get to 10 Wins or more

3 of these 4 occur

1. PIT WL

2. CIN LL

3 DEN lose one

4. HOU and IND both lose a game, or JAX LL. Basically a scenario where only the third place team can’t have 10+ wins

if CLE LL then a WC spot opens up. If CIN L one then their week 18 meet up only has one team at 10W.
In option 4 above, if both happen then that opens up another scenario.

BUF can’t get the #1 seed. They lose tiebreakers to BAL by common games record. KC wins a KC, BAL, BUF tie.

if BUF gets WC before week 18 and MIA WW then Miami  clinches division and BUF probably rests everyone.  You run a risk of playing A game and win and then have to repeat it the next weekend of BUF-MIA in playoffs 

Edited by djp14150

Yes, I’m slightly worried the Bills will regress to their lackluster performances when they face inferior  competition like The Chargers and Patriots. 
We’ll soon find out if those days are behind us or if they’ve turned the corner to play like a championship caliber team.

All the ‘what if’s’ of this season are painful. We shouldn’t have to be concerned about ‘needing help’ from other AFC teams. 

If they blow it against either the bolts or pats, they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. 
I’m not ready to start talking draft 2024. 
C’mon Bills. Kick some ass. 

Go Bills! 

24 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

there are scenarios  where buffalo clinch before week 18 occurs.  See my post above.

if they need to win and lose there are back door scenarios to get in.

IF BUF-MIA game is for division it’s likely on a Saturday night or Sunday night game.  Depends if both have clinched or not. If they can back into the playoffs based on other results make this a Saturday game rather than a potrntial winner gets in like thr Indy- Houston game might have.

if buffalo clinched WC before MiA they could rest e erroneously if MIA clinched division

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I posted in other thread about scenarios where buffalo could clinch a wildcard spot before week 28 starts.

Buffalo WW and assume CLE has 10+ wins thus only one other WC spot team can get to 20 Wins or more

3 of these 4 occur

1. PIT WL

2. CIN LL

3 DEN lose one

4. HOU and IND both lose a game, or JAX LL. Basically a scenario where only the third place team can’t have 10+ wins

if CLE LL then a WC spot opens up. If CIN L one then their week 18 meet up only has one team at 10W.
In option 4 above, if both happen then that opens up another scenario.

BUF can’t get the #1 seed. They lose tiebreakers to BAL by common games record. KC wins a KC, BAL, BUF tie.

if BUF gets WC before week 18 and MIA WW then Miami  clinches division and BUF probably rests everyone.  You run a risk of playing A game and win and then have to repeat it the next weekend of BUF-MIA in playoffs 

Is your "1" key broke or did the NFL add games I am not aware of?

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Except he is not Sicilian but Jewish; in anniversary show (just watched it this week) he tells how role was intended for Danny Devito so was perpetually nervous.

Seen it, 

37 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't agree with Texans over Browns.  Texans loss puts us controlling our own destiny this week.  Browns does not as they would have to lose another game.

It actually doesn't. The Texans can lose this week and the Bengals, Browns and Colts can all make it ahead of the 11-7 Bills.

A Browns loss this week means that either the Browns or Bengals will be eliminated from reaching 11-7 when they play each other.

And because the Colts play the Texans later, one of them will be eliminated from reaching 11-7.

So a Texans victory over the Browns means that only two of the four teams: Browns, Bengals, Colt and Texans can reach 11-7. 

So if only the Browns lose this week, the Bills control their own destiny. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

It actually doesn't. The Texans can lose this week and the Bengals, Browns and Colts can all make it ahead of the 11-7 Bills.

A Browns loss this week means that either the Browns or Bengals will be eliminated from reaching 11-7. 

And because the Colts play the Texans later, one of them will be eliminated from reaching 11-7.

So a Texans victory over the Browns means that only two of the four teams: Browns, Bengals, Colt and Texans can reach 11-7. 

I do not think that is right.  I can't prove it at this point because the playoff machine is bugged on my browser but NYTs has us at 100% this week with a Texans loss.

I like these threads for the thought experiment, but for me it really comes down to this simple truth: The playoffs have already started.

We need to win out all the way through February or basically we're done. If we lose to the Chargers, Pats****, or Fins, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, and even if we somehow lose one of those and sneak in, we aren't going far if we can't beat those three teams with everything on the line.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I do not think that is right.  I can't prove it at this point because the playoff machine is bugged on my browser but NYTs has us at 100% this week with a Texans loss.

The NY Times has it the exact opposite for me. 99% with a Browns win. 100% with a Texans win. 

Cause if the Browns won, they can still lose to the Bengals and be 11-7. And the Jags and Colts can win out. So that puts the Bills up against three other teams at 11-7.

But if the Browns lose to the Texans, that means it's only possible for one of the Browns or Bengals to get to 11 wins because they play each other. 

Now assume the Jags win out, the Colts or Texans will eliminate one or the other when they play. 

So there's only 2 other wild card teams that can get to 11-7 if the Browns lose to the Texans. 

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

The NY Times has it the exact opposite for me. 99% with a Browns win. 100% with a Texans win. 

Cause if the Browns won, they can still lose to the Bengals and be 11-7. And the Jags and Colts can win out. So that puts the Bills up against three other teams at 11-7.

But if the Browns lose to the Texans, that means it's only possible for one of the Browns or Bengals to get to 11 wins because they play each other. 

Now assume the Jags win out, the Colts or Texans will eliminate one or the other when they play. 

So there's only 2 other wild card teams that can get to 11-7 if the Browns lose to the Texans. 

Weird.  At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter so not worth arguing about.  If the Bills win out, the chances are really small they don't at least get a wild card.  I am not a gambler but I am willing to bet the Dolphins will lose at least one of Ravens or Dallas anyways.  I really think we win the division if we win out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Weird.  At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter so not worth arguing about.  If the Bills win out, the chances are really small they don't at least get a wild card.  I am not a gambler but I am willing to bet the Dolphins will lose at least one of Ravens or Dallas anyways.  I really think we win the division if we win out.

My favorite scenario is the Bills win out, win the division. Miami goes to KC, Cleveland goes to Baltimore and the Colts come to Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Rooting Interests

Week 16

Steelers over Bengals 

Texans over Browns

Falcons over Colts 

Bucs over Jags

Cowboys over Fins 

The Browns are 1 game ahead of the Bills at 9-5 and the Texans are tied at 8-6. Does Houston have the tiebreaker over Buffalo, and Buffalo the tiebreaker over Cleveland?

Just now, Punch said:

The Browns are 1 game ahead of the Bills at 9-5 and the Texans are tied at 8-6. Does Houston have the tiebreaker over Buffalo, and Buffalo the tiebreaker over Cleveland?

No. But the Browns play the Bengals. And the Texans play the Colts. So only two of those four teams would be able to make it to 11-7 if the Texans beat the Browns. But if the Browns beat the Texans, then 3 teams can make it to 11-7 and eliminate the Bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

A Browns loss this week means that either the Browns or Bengals will be eliminated from reaching 11-7 when they play each other.

This is a poor way of looking at it....

You should be thinking, one of two scenarios to get in:

1. Win Division: in this scenario, just need Dolphins to lose 1 of next 2.  Then we control our destiny

2. Wild card: IF we lose to Miami, then we want as many teams with 8 losses.  Broncos, Colts, Texans, Bengals, Steelers OR Jags (someone wins the South of these 3 teams)

In scenario #2, Browns winning helps us.  As they have Texans and Cincy.   Get Texans to 7 losses AND hopefully a Colts loss before final week.  Makes that last game an elimination of one of them.

Cincy losing today would be amazing.  But I still see them dropping to Chiefs, then need to count on Browns.

Broncos have a fairly easy schedule.  Pats might be toughest matchup for them, this week.  I see them making it in.

Colts need an L against Falcons this week, or next week.

Steelers are a mess.  I'd be shocked they win today, but it's their season on the line.  I can't see them beating Ravens last week of season, or the Seahawks next week.  I'd count them out.

Long story short, root for Browns to knock off the "fringe" teams.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Rooting Interests

Week 16

Steelers over Bengals 

Texans over Browns

Falcons over Colts 

Bucs over Jags

Cowboys over Fins 

Week 17

Raiders over Colts

Jets over Browns

Ravens over Fins 

Chiefs over Bengals

Panthers over Jags

Week 18

Browns over Bengals

Texans over Colts

Titans over Jags 

This confirms what I said in another thread.  Of the Bills win out, then a lot more things have to align to keep the Bills out of the playoffs.  There are many possible routes to the playoffs, if the Bills win out and only one tortuous route to the Bills missing the playoffs, if the Bills win out.

46 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

1. Win Division: in this scenario, just need Dolphins to lose 1 of next 2.  Then we control our destiny

2. Wild card: IF we lose to Miami, then we want as many teams with 8 losses.  Broncos, Colts, Texans, Bengals, Steelers OR Jags (someone wins the South of these 3 teams)

In scenario #2, Browns winning helps us.  As they have Texans and Cincy.   Get Texans to 7 losses AND hopefully a Colts loss before final week.  Makes that last game an elimination of one of them.

Cincy losing today would be amazing.  But I still see them dropping to Chiefs, then need to count on Browns.

Broncos have a fairly easy schedule.  Pats might be toughest matchup for them, this week.  I see them making it in.

Steelers are a mess.  I'd be shocked they win today, but it's their season on the line.  I can't see them beating Ravens last week of season, or the Seahawks next week.  I'd count them out.

I'm rooting for the Bills to control their own destiny and take a winning streak into the post-season. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yea what’s up with the playoff machine?  I’ve been trying to do some scenario testing for the past day and it’s been all effed up for me.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

If the Bills lose the game against Miami and need a Wildcard spot with a 10-7 record, you are correct about the Browns.

In the 10-7 Bills Wildcard scenario, what people are not seeing is the Bills want the Browns to win and take Seed #5.

The Bills will not get the 5th seed.

Where it gets tricky is finding who needs to win and lose for the Bills to get one of the remaining seeds.

That will be clearer after this week's games.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.