Huge shoutout to Buffalo fans from Matt Hasselbeck…

Watching since 1964

5 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I love how the train horn gets called out by Hasselbeck.  I hate that thing but apparently it's quite effective.

Who calls their plays "29 tex" and "28 tax"?  Aren't play calls supposed to be verbally distinct to combat noise?  He says the horn disrupts that, which seems exaggerated ...

Edited by Rew
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I love that he mentions the crown of the field. I remember sitting low in the 80s and 90s and barely being able to set the other side of the field because its so pronounced. Is it still like that? or have they flattened it out some?

I believe during one of the field replacements that the crown was reduced.  It's still there, just not as high. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Great shout out to the 12th man and the crown of the field.  Kind of bummed that he didn’t answer the X’s and O’s Portion of the question as to what the Bills D did to Dak to confuse him.  

Bills did the same thing they've done to a lot of opposing QB. Took away their #1 WR. When Lamb was covered Dak had to get to his 2nd adn 3rd read and by then the Pass Rush was getting there, so he started to throw quicker. It's why he took more check downs than normal

4 hours ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I love that he mentions the crown of the field. I remember sitting low in the 80s and 90s and barely being able to set the other side of the field because its so pronounced. Is it still like that? or have they flattened it out some?

I remember being on the field for a Stones concert (my first ever) about 1975/76. The crown shocked me as It was not nearly so pronounced from where our seats were. 

SO, apparently home field advantage DOES matter. Calling the London game a home game for the Bills is total BS. That and the jet lag “experiment” are inexcusable. Add in the fact that they removed the good field to play on the worst field Von Miller had seen in 13 years in the league and it tells me the NFL does not care about the quality of the competition. They just want to push more streaming services on us, because for them it’s all about the money.

EDIT:  Dan Patrick (above clip) used to be shown live on the free version of Peacock. Now it’s delayed by one day. If I subscribe, will it give me “today’s” version of the show? The Friday show is worthless on Monday morning after a weekend of games. Anyone know about this? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I love how the train horn gets called out by Hasselbeck.  I hate that thing but apparently it's quite effective.

It might sound odd, but it always bothers me on TV and I really like it in person.  Weird. 

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

Great shout out to the 12th man and the crown of the field.  Kind of bummed that he didn’t answer the X’s and O’s Portion of the question as to what the Bills D did to Dak to confuse him.  

I think all future references need be to 'Buffalo fandom', and no more about '12th man'. 

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

EDIT:  Dan Patrick (above clip) used to be shown live on the free version of Peacock. Now it’s delayed by one day. If I subscribe, will it give me “today’s” version of the show? The Friday show is worthless on Monday morning after a weekend of games. Anyone know about this? 

Give us $6 and we'll tell you.

• Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, sullim4 said:

LOL yeah that had the ring of sincerity "And they've got that STUPID HORN, and they don't play it when you come to the LOS, they play it while you're in the HUDDLE trying to CALL A PLAY!"

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

He did kind of imply that the 'Boys looked like a HS team out there, so I enjoyed that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Def flattened a lot. I was on the field in September 2022 for the Bills 5k and it is not nearly the pitch it use to be anymore. You can still see it a little but not like the astro turf days haha.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

I feel like I'm asking a dumb question having seen at least 30 games in that stadium, but what is this "crown" everyone is talking about?

The field slopes downward from the center toward each sideline.  Although, I don't think it is nearly as noticeable as it was 20 years ago, if it stills exists at all anymore like it maybe did when Hasselbeck played.  

I played a few high school games on the field in the early 90's and the slope was very noticeable.  I was on the field after the Dolphins game this season and I don't remember noticing a slope at all.  

Edited by buffalonian
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Those are real old school play names. "2" is the 2 back. "9" and "8" is the hole the back goes through. I've forgotten what the "Tex" and "Tax" tags add.

"T" formation?

When I played o-line (grade school), our running plays were like T23 (T formation, #2 back through the #3 hole) and I-35 (I formation, #3 back through the #5 hole).

3 hours ago, DC Greg said:

I feel like I'm asking a dumb question having seen at least 30 games in that stadium, but what is this "crown" everyone is talking about?

For drainage reasons when they built the new stadium the field was pitched so water/snow goes to the sides from the middle. Before they put the current turf in and we just had the carpet astro turf it was so serve the arc you could literally see the field height difference. I believe the old crown was 18 inches of height difference from side to middle and the current is more like 6 as they are better with drainage and absorbing the water.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, corta765 said:

For drainage reasons when they built the new stadium the field was pitched so water/snow goes to the sides from the middle. Before they put the current turf in and we just had the carpet astro turf it was so serve the arc you could literally see the field height difference. I believe the old crown was 18 inches of height difference from side to middle and the current is more like 6 as they are better with drainage and absorbing the water.

Thanks! Yeah I remember playing on many fields that were set up with different degrees of slope for drainage before. I just never knew it was called a crown.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Even more obnoxious is, "Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd Dooooooooowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn

I think this dumb thing shouts “y’all don’t know your football”. Other stadiums, they put up the 3rd down sign, make noise sign crap.  Some even have to tell crowd “quiet” on offense. 

10 hours ago, DC Greg said:

All NFL fields had a crown years ago that sloped to the sideline from the center of the field. I think now they marginally sloped about 1 degree for drainage. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can't really speak to crown at The Ralph but had been on the field at Texas Stadium many times.  It was dramatic and a real thing. I would definitely affect a QB throwing passes out there to the sidelines if he wasn't used to it.  I remember when they had the last game at Texas Stadium against the Ravens, Joe Flacco and some of the guys were commenting about it.  Seattle doesn't have one.

When football announcers started using the term "run downhill" I thought they meant running a sweep to actually run downhill to get more speed. Now I realize that's not what they mean so when they use it I yell at the TV "he's not running down,the field is flat, moron". Jocks. 🤗

Edited by reddogblitz

OJ Simpson would make good use of the crown - running wide then cutting back to the middle of the field.  The defenders were literally running down hill while trying to switch back to OJ.

Most fields did have a crown, but the one at Rich Stadium was unusually large.  The fact that the field is below ground level makes drainage even more challenging than it would be if at ground level.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.