Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

There is some fairness to the relocation aspect of the Bills. But I am also not sure it’s a forever get out of jail free card. 

Also he is the worst owner in NHL history. So it’s difficult to say “Yay Terry. King of the sports” because the Bills exist when just down route 5 he’s absolutely ruined the NHL team. 

EDIT: I think Pegula is accutely aware of this. And part of the reason McD has been listed as safe unless the wheels fall off is because he could run out of goodwill in this town. 

Honest question.   Would you prefer the Sabres be in a different town?  Personally I dont care about hockey.   He's been a fantastic owner of the Bills.   Maybe the relocation aspect isnt forever, but my God we are literally 9 years in and they've made the playoffs 6 of 9 years when they hadn't been in almost 20 years prior.    He's paid free agents, made massive upgrades to the facilities, and has a new stadium in the works.   Add in the relocation aspect and he has my trust.

7 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

McDermott looked gutted at the presser and certainly did not act like it was old news and already "processed" by the man who pays his bills.

From all the quotes and hate from that article, have to imagine it can't feel great to have so many former players and coaches possibly taking shots at him, I mean it's always seemed to me like he's really cared about his players and coaches. This whole thing is weird.

• Agree 1

Presumably everyone on the board sees Sean's choice of motivational tactic back in 2019 in a negative light. 

But does anyone see this as a true reflection of the man or was it just a seriously misguided lapse in judgement? 

My current thinking is it's a big fat nothing burger and nothing to do with his ability to bring us a championship the past few years. On the other hand I do question whether his coaching ability will keep us from winning a championship - but that topic has been debated ad nauseum.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Similar to Araiza, similar to Von, similar to this. Every org knows everything.

There’s reports of NFL teams have plants in college towns during the year to get the scoop on draft picks. 

The league and every team in the league individually employ/contract former federal agents to snuff out these off field issues quietly. 

It’s a business of “what can I get away with”. It’s not shocking. It is what it is. But I would be shocked if this was new for the org. Having to deal with it in public is why McD looks scared. 

Oh, I agree. He knows the org knows but now that it's out and there will be a lot of hell to pay for it, now he's scared. He thought he got away with it, forgot about it, and now it's out in public and he's really scared. You can see it in his face and in his changing story: "I lost a good friend during 9/11.... I lost multiple friends."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

My current thinking is it's a big fat nothing burger and nothing to do with his ability to bring us a championship the past few years.

What ability to bring us a championship?

McDermott has had multiple years with a generational quarterback and has yet to win a conference championship.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Oh, I agree. He knows the org knows but now that it's out and there will be a lot of hell to pay for it, now he's scared. He thought he got away with it, forgot about it, and now it's out in public and he's really scared. You can see it in his face and in his changing story: "I lost a good friend during 9/11.... I lost multiple friends."

Do you have a link to the presser?

Wowza, I was always a sceptic of bringing Daboll back (if even possible) to replace McDermott given his struggles in NY and McDermott’s history of relative success. Just finished the whole article and half of it’s true, McD truly has to go after this year latest and we need to figure out a way to get Dabes back, or at least get a couch who will put the focus on building around Josh as it should be. Yeeshhh

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah, having less and less faith in McDermott, but this article at this point in time in the season is some bull####. Would love for the team to run the table and win it all for all of the obvious reasons but also for the pure ***** all of these ***** #######s of it all.

Yeah I really wish that he at least waited until the season was over to release this article.  These players don't need this distraction.  Everyone is down on the team, including me, but I firmly believe if this team makes it to the playoffs that they could make a run.

30 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I use to laugh when people would say this team was cursed.   But you literally cant make this stuff up.  

We might be witnessing the longest streak of "This couldn't possibly get any weirder" in the history of professional NA sports.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I apologize “if anyone felt a certain kind of way” after the meeting.

That’s a pretty weird and narcissistic response. Jeez.

The correct response is that I said some horrific and offensive things and I apologize deeply.

..not “if you interpreted what I said as being offensive I apologize.”

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Honest question.   Would you prefer the Sabres be in a different town?  Personally I dont care about hockey.   He's been a fantastic owner of the Bills.   Maybe the relocation aspect isnt forever, but my God we are literally 9 years in and they've made the playoffs 6 of 9 years when they hadn't been in almost 20 years prior.    He's paid free agents, made massive upgrades to the facilities, and has a new stadium in the works.   Add in the relocation aspect and he has my trust.

I think a broken clock is right twice a day and I do not, under any circumstances, trust Terry Pegula to turn over McBeane with success. The time will come that he has to. And that time might be now. It’s absolutely terrifying. 

Regarding the Sabres, I don’t think they’re going anywhere. The day Terry bought the team they were the 4th most winning franchise in league history by point percentage. We averaged 99.9% attendance/capacity for home games. Buffalo’s TV market is regularly top 5 for the Stanley cup. Often beating 1 if not both teams in the Stanley Cup Finals. Buffalo is a quality hockey market. 

Since purchasing the team in 2011, the Sabres are dead last in both win and point percentage, have the lowest attendance/ capacity in league (71%), and the longest playoff drought in the history of the game (12 years). 

If I had to guess, due revenue sharing, the NHL hates Terry. Buffalo is a quality hockey town. The league should want to keep a team here. 

Terry Pegula is amongst the worst sports owners in the history of American professional sports. And I don’t say that lightly nor with any ounce of hyperbole. 

There needs to be space to have a constructive conversation about how bad ownership is without the threat of leaving. Full stop.

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

From all the quotes and hate from that article, have to imagine it can't feel great to have so many former players and coaches possibly taking shots at him, I mean it's always seemed to me like he's really cared about his players and coaches. This whole thing is weird.

Not all the player quotes took shots at him. Some of them had good things to say about him.  Even some of the ones that said maybe something bad also said something good.  It's not part of the free stuff though so most of the people here won't see that stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Thanks for sub-quoting me and losing the context of my post. Good on ya!

Fair enough. I disagree with your take that it's a "big fat nothing burger" — millions of New Yorkers and thousands of emergency workers would dispute that, — but I now see that you question his coaching ability, as you and we all should.

Sorry if my quote didn't reflect the entire substance of your message. But I don't like McDermott and this has me a little more hopeful he will be fired so I'm a little trigger happy. 

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

We could put together bingo cards at this point.

At this point I fully expect the Bills to win the Super Bowl on a blown call that ends up as a safety and then find out after the game Sean McDermott was killed in a freak accident with a stationary bike.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah the Rex Ryan era was a real clown show.  Owner isn't going to change though.  At least not for a long time.

I totally agree. The NFL prints money. Nobody sells an NFL team unless they’re forced. 

I’m hating on Terry because he needs to be better not because he needs to sell the Bills.

I tend to think part of the reason McD is safe is that Terry knows trying to replace and improve would be difficult (for him). But it seems like the bill seems to be coming due shortly. 

I’ve been critical of some things with Beane, but I have more faith in him to select a coach. I think he likely stays even though they were originally a package deal. Beane could find himself being a lifer like Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

He apologized for not being clear with the message.  Did he apologize for using 9/11 as an example, or for not being more articulate in using it?

In "Full Metal Jacket," the sergeant used Charles Whitman, the guy who climbed a tower in Texas years ago and mowed down a bunch of people, as an example of a Marine being skilled and precise.  Of course, that sergeant was nuts.  Is McDermott nuts?

One of the reasons we have not won a championship is the existence of Patrick Mahomes.  Prior to that, Tom Brady.  But we've got Josh Allen, and we should be able to win a few Super Bowls before his time is through.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I totally agree. The NFL prints money. Nobody sells an NFL team unless they’re forced. 

I’m hating on Terry because he needs to be better. 

I tend to think part of the reason McD is safe is that Terry knows trying to replace and improve would be difficult (for him). But it seems like the bill seems to be coming due shortly. 

I’ve been critical of some things with Beane, but I have more faith in him to select a coach. I think he likely stays even though they were originally a package deal. Beane could find himself being a lifer like Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore. 

Not everyone is but I am a fan of Beane.  I hope he stays if McD gets fired.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

He apologized for not being clear with the message.  Did he apologize for using 9/11 as an example, or for not being more articulate in using it?

In "Full Metal Jacket," the sergeant used Charles Whitman, the guy who climbed a tower in Texas years ago and mowed down a bunch of people, as an example of a Marine being skilled and precise.  Of course, that sergeant was nuts.  Is McDermott nuts?

One of the reasons we have not won a championship is the existence of Patrick Mahomes.  Prior to that, Tom Brady.  But we've got Josh Allen, and we should be able to win a few Super Bowls before his time is through.  

He didn’t really apologize for using it which I thought was strange. It kinda feels like he knows more bombs are coming and doesn’t want to say to much that could be disproven later. 

Edited by Governor

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

Fair enough. I disagree with your take that it's a "big fat nothing burger" — millions of New Yorkers and a thousands of emergency workers would dispute that, — but I now see that you question his coaching ability, as you and we all should.

Sorry if my quote didn't reflect the entire substance of your message. But I don't like McDermott and this has me a little more hopeful he will be fired so I'm a little trigger happy. 

Just to be clear I think there's a strong argument that McD should be fired solely on his merits as a coach.

I also think that the way he attempted to use 9/11 as a motivational tactic was a serious lapse in judgement. I don't take that lightly, my sister-in-law lost her father that day. 

My nothing burger comment had to do with relating Sean's firing to the 2019 incident. I see no relationship between the two - particularly since he supposedly addressed the 2019 incident shortly after it happened.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Amazing you have enough time in the day to go on a crusade like this. I hope Tyler makes it over for Christmas dinner Mrs. Dunne. 

Huh?  This post makes no sense.  I haven’t supported Dunne one bit, I think you replied to the wrong poster.  

I have finally turned on McDermott after being fairly resolute in my support of him. And therefore, many of the more general, personal criticisms contained in the portion I could read ring true to me now. Lacks accountability and tightens up in the biggest moments, being most notable to me.

BUT...Dunne is suspect, at best, with respect to journalistic integrity. He started this whole independent venture by leaning exclusively on disgruntled former employees who had obvious agendas (whether they were right or wrong). He gets a salacious scoop or two and really runs with it. Not much effort to cross-examine or challenge. So it becomes a polemic, selective and one-sided. Doesn't mean it's all wrong, but it does mean it's subjective and still hearsay. 

Like I said, I've come to my own harsh conclusions about the head coach, and would love to see him fired ASAP. But I take Tyler Dunne's work with a giant grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

I have finally turned on McDermott after being fairly resolute in my support of him. And therefore, many of the more general, personal criticisms contained in the portion I could read ring true to me now. Lacks accountability and tightens up in the biggest moments, being most notable to me.

BUT...Dunne is suspect, at best, with respect to journalistic integrity. He started this whole independent venture by leaning exclusively on disgruntled former employees who had obvious agendas (whether they were right or wrong). He gets a salacious scoop or two and really runs with it. Not much effort to cross-examine or challenge. So it becomes a polemic, selective and one-sided. Doesn't mean it's all wrong, but it does mean it's subjective and still hearsay. 

Like I said, I've come to my own harsh conclusions about the head coach, and would love to see him fired ASAP. But I take Tyler Dunne's work with a giant grain of salt. 

Yeah there's a lot of quotes in the article and he surrounded them with heaps of opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

See as a guy who thinks McDermott should be gone at the end of this season I never once questioned his desire for all his players to be successful. That quality is admirable and 100 percent true. It’s just this overwhelming feeling I have when we play big games or are deep in the fourth quarter that we are going to lose which is the exact feeling that McDermott has obviously and has shown time and time again . That means that he should not be a head coach of a football team that needs him to coach to win and not coach to not lose. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

We already know he is an imbecile and not fit for the job based on what we see on the field. 

A three part, targeted hit piece relieving things that happened behind closed doors years ago was not necessary and serves no purpose other than to humiliate a guy that is still currently the HC of the team. 

No. The purpose of the article is to shame and humiliate Terry into firing this clown. 

• Agree 1

The thing that bothers me the most about McD is his absolute unwillingness to take ownership of any failure.  The closest he ever comes is saying we have to play better and coach better.  I'm not impressed with trotting out a stale line like that.  Time and again, he's screwed up in close games and cost the Bills a win, particularly in the playoffs.  

The players won't respect the man as a coach, if they don't respect the coach as a man.  And it's pretty clear the fire's gone out at One Bills Drive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'm stuck on this notion of those that want him to have next year as well. So what exactly would we need to do next year? (assuming this year is either no playoffs or early exit). It's getting to the point where it's Super Bowl or he's out and I don't want to get to that point. That seems like us openly being ok with wasting time and I'm not ok with that. You thoughts on the article are spot on. 

5 minutes ago, BFLO said:

No. The purpose of the article is to shame and humiliate Terry into firing this clown. 

I just don't agree with that. Never would happen. If anything this would make most people dig in. 

The owner needs to step in at the end of the year and realize everything that happens should come with the question...is this whats best for josh allen.  

playing miller this week and the whole world knowing you used the 9/11 hijackers as a coaching point is beyond terrible.  there is no defense for either of these things.

this regime is toast and the owner and his family should have a list of people to interview the second the season is over.

go get josh allen his sean mcvay, andy reid, zac taylor, kyle shanahan....etc

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's a damn good thing that this siht wasn't known before or season opener in NY.  

LOL  

For however long McDermott stays our coach we may never play the Jets/Giants  away on 9/11 or perhaps at all on the week of again.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's a damn good thing that this siht wasn't known before or season opener in NY.  

LOL  

this is part of the reason mcdermott cant come back...having to play at the jets every year plus in new england....it will never go away.

i mean the giants stadium commuter parking lot had cars parked there for awhile because they were victims in the attack.

there is no coming back from this no matter what anyone says....wait until the sunday morning pregame shows talk about this.  Mcdermott is done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It is so obvious 

He practically loses games single handedly.

He is one of the worst coaches in crucial, high pressure situations that I've ever seen. The dumb look of confused panic on his face as he makes bad decisions at critical moments. 

His dire need to deflect all blame is such an obvious character flaw and should absolutely be a disqualifying trait for any leadership position. He's the same as he has always been. His attitude and response in the aftermath of the 13 second debacle showed who he is and he hasn't changed a bit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BananaB said:

None of them had anything to do with McDermott and he’s the HC.🙄

No game is gonna be perfect, finding ways to win at the end is what’s great about the game of football. McD is the teams biggest problem in these close games. Doesn’t matter if it’s a low scoring game or high scoring, McDs decisions during these games are costing the team. 

Close games with McD are like a Final Destination movie. You don't know exactly which goofy decision or call will set off the 5-sigma improbable series of events to ultimately just barely lose the game at the end, but you know it's coming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.