What does Mike Shula do?

Section27

This is an interesting topic because all teams have these guys with ambiguous titles on their staffs. In fact, the Bills have few of them compared to other teams. The Ravens have two guys with the title "Senior Football Analysit/Gameplaning." They also have two "coaching analysts." Also, did you know that Bills' fan favorite Brian Cox is the Assistant Defensive Line Coach for the NY Giants?

Maybe Shula is part of the reason Dorsey was fired.   Maybe Dorsey wasn't taking input from Shula (or Brady).  

So maybe McD fired Dorsey for more than what we were all seeing on the field.  Maybe Shula, Brady, and others mentioned their frustrations with Dorsey to McD.

We don't know.  

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

He got fired in Carolina with Dorsey

And their whole coaching staff. We’ve fired good assistants before when dumping a bad HC, not much to read into

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe Shula is part of the reason Dorsey was fired.   Maybe Dorsey wasn't taking input from Shula (or Brady).  

So maybe McD fired Dorsey for more than what we were all seeing on the field.  Maybe Shula, Brady, and others mentioned their frustrations with Dorsey to McD.

We don't know.  

I think it’s nearly guaranteed that there are things that went on behind the scenes that we don’t know about that also played into this. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And their whole coaching staff. We’ve fired good assistants before when dumping a bad HC, not much to read into

I think it’s nearly guaranteed that there are things that went on behind the scenes that we don’t know about that also played into this. 

I think it’s nearly guaranteed that the dumpster fire we are seeing on the field is more important than secret, hidden behind-the-scenes stuff

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He lends knowledge.

I actually thought he could get the OC, has had several good seasons with different QBs. 

I’m surprised it wasn’t him getting OC too since McD is very familiar with him. Though aside from Cam’s psycho 2015 season where the offense was ranked first in points for, he never had another top 10 offense in 10 other seasons as an NFL OC.

I’m not sure Brady is going to be too successful bc he was bad with Carolina but maybe he has untapped potential. His LSU offense was amazing but it had Joe Burrow and the two best receivers in the NFL (Chase and Jefferson) so that made life much easier lol

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I’m surprised it wasn’t him getting OC too since McD is very familiar with him. Though aside from Cam’s psycho 2015 season where the offense was ranked first in points for, he never had another top 10 offense in 10 other seasons as an NFL OC.

I’m not sure Brady is going to be too successful bc he was bad with Carolina but maybe he has untapped potential. His LSU offense was amazing but it had Joe Burrow and the two best receivers in the NFL (Chase and Jefferson) so that made life much easier lol

Daboll was terrible everywhere he went before here.  QB play is usually the big factor.  Brady i felt was originally brought in as the potential dorsey replacement if things went well enough that he got head coaching interviews.  He now gets a trial run as the season has shifted into preservation mode.  

I think his role is helping design plays and the playbook, implementing plays within the walkthrough that you want to use, etc.  So i don't think he's doing a very good job at the moment, but we don't really know whats going on there so its all speculative. 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I think it’s nearly guaranteed that the dumpster fire we are seeing on the field is more important than secret, hidden behind-the-scenes stuff

I think this is true.   But I do think both contributed.

If McD thought that Dorsey was doing everything right and getting the most out of the flawed offensive roster, Dorsey probably would not have been fired.  I'm guessing that McD sees it differently.  Dorsey was doing something wrong behind the scenes.  Maybe bad relationships with players.  Maybe not coaching Josh hard enough.  Maybe not taking input from Shula and Brady.  Maybe not following McD's guidance...  

I do think the decline of the offense's performance was the main reason.  But I think McD saw/heard other things that made him lose faith in Dorsey.  

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I actually thought we might name him Interim HC if Terry cleaned house this morning.

Shula has enough experience to be interim CEO and handle the details.

Brady to OC

Bobby Babich to DC

Oh well, at least we got Dorsey out.

Just because Dorsey got canned doesn’t mean no one else is very much on the hot seat! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.