WRs in 2024 Draft

RyanC883

This mock draft is awful (for the Bills), but indicates that we will need to either be in the top 15, or trade there, to get a stud WR.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-should-go-no-1-no-guarantee-he-will-stacked-wr-class-as-8-go-in-round-1/

here is an article on the WRs available and likely to go in the 1st, including those after 15--also nonsense they don't have one to Buffalo:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2024-nfl-mock-draft-record-breaking-wr-class-dominates-1st-round/ar-AA1jUZkE

Enjoy.  Who all do you want?  

20 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The WR class is incredibly deep. I fully expect the Bills to double dip that position with one early and another in the middle rounds. In that scenario I do not see Xavier Worthy from Texas which is who I would go with. 

That could set up the "We are not Worthy" calls and the fans reactions to TDs

We Are Not Worthy Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

On 11/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, gonzo1105 said:

The WR class is incredibly deep. I fully expect the Bills to double dip that position with one early and another in the middle rounds. In that scenario I do not see Xavier Worthy from Texas which is who I would go with. 

I don't watch much college ball.  Is Xavier Worthy the early pick or later pick for you?  

Who is your early and late pick?  Interested to see who forum members (who watch more college ball than me) pick.  

On 11/14/2023 at 11:56 AM, RyanC883 said:

This mock draft is awful (for the Bills), but indicates that we will need to either be in the top 15, or trade there, to get a stud WR.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-should-go-no-1-no-guarantee-he-will-stacked-wr-class-as-8-go-in-round-1/

here is an article on the WRs available and likely to go in the 1st, including those after 15--also nonsense they don't have one to Buffalo:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2024-nfl-mock-draft-record-breaking-wr-class-dominates-1st-round/ar-AA1jUZkE

Here's the issue, however.  If there is a deep position in the draft Beane has a history of waiting and NOT taking from that position until later in the draft. He would typically take positions that he feels aren't as deep early. 

In theory, I understand the idea. If the WR spot is that good there's a good chance to take a guy you would normally see go late first round in the 2nd or 3rd. Like I said, the THEORY is good. However that's also how you end up coming away with a Gabe Davis in the 4th instead of a Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman in the early 2nd. 

Just now, mrags said:

Well. Let’s just see how things play out the rest of the way. If we lose 5 of the next 7 (very possible) then a move up isn’t as taxing. 

right now it's not the moving up i'm concerned about. i don't see ow chicago wouldn't draft one of the qbs and the giants wouldn't get one, too. #3 Patriots out of the mix for a top 2 QB trading down in the 1st to pickup a QB or anyone else later would be ideal for them to help rebuild.

the bears second pick they're going to want to get a WR to pair with their new QB. The packers, rams, titans, skins and bucs would also welcome a top tier WR.

nabers, odunze, coleman, and more all may well be fine and good but if i am buffalo i go into this draft hard.

i go up and get MH Jr. and come back up to get Coleman. those two with Diggs and Kincaid would be unstoppable. 

i am 100% that serious and committed to Josh passing.

This is a guy to keep an eye on in the mid rounds....a real McBeane type player, and they should already know a little bit about him when they were scouting Dalton Kincaid.

If you have an opportunity to watch a Utah game, check this kid out.

DeVaughn Vele WR Utah

From Draft Diamonds:

Player Summary:

DeVaughn Vele is a 5th year junior wide receiver who was a walk-on in 2019. He possesses elite size and good experience, having played 33 games during his time at Utah. Vele is a rare athlete who exhibits rare playing speed, explosion, and toughness. Whether the play is a run or pass, Vele is playing fast, often running a downfield route when there is a pass play called. Vele plays most of his snaps on the perimeter. He has not shown versatility as a slot receiver. This makes his production poor because the Utah offense features a passing game that targets the middle of the field, specifically the tight end position. Perimeter receivers are used to open the middle of the field and/or be a 2nd and 3rd read in the quarterback’s progression. At 6-5 210 lbs, Vele has a rare catch radius and exhibits average quickness and COD. His releases at the LOS versus all defensive back techniques is rare. He has rare acceleration and route running that allows him to separate from the defender. Vele sees the football field well and is able to put himself in the vision of the quarterback in open windows in the defense and fit correctly on defenders in the running game. Vele’s greatest quality is his blocking. He is an elite and willing blocker. His size gives him an advantage versus corners, safeties and some linebackers. You will often see Vele sprinting 15-20 yards downfield to block a defender. 

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

wow, folks are already working out mock drafts. 

this board.... 

I mean who cares if people want to play around with it. If your so but hurt about people wanting to check out whats going on in the future, why should you care either way? why even click the link to this topic?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I mean who cares if people want to play around with it. If your so but hurt about people wanting to check out whats going on in the future, why should you care either way? why even click the link to this topic?

wants to show us just how much of a fan he is, of course!

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:56 AM, RyanC883 said:

Yes, I've seen these mock drafts - so far been defensive heavy - the usual's - corners and DTs. 

I just can't believe the Bills (if they're being honest) are watching Gabe Davis and saying to themselves, we have to get that guy back as the #2 WR. 

So Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman all fall to within <5 picks of where you are and you're not going to do what it takes to move up? 

It's a hard scenario because we need all the picks we can get to fill out the DTs, Safeties, but my gosh it would be 30-31 year old Stef and again nothing else at WR if the Bills don't draft one high. 

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes, I've seen these mock drafts - so far been defensive heavy - the usual's - corners and DTs. 

I just can't believe the Bills (if they're being honest) are watching Gabe Davis and saying to themselves, we have to get that guy back as the #2 WR. 

So Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman all fall to within <5 picks of where you are and you're not going to do what it takes to move up? 

It's a hard scenario because we need all the picks we can get to fill out the DTs, Safeties, but my gosh it would be 30-31 year old Stef and again nothing else at WR if the Bills don't draft one high. 

You hit the nail on the head.  I don't think this regime is constitutionally capable of thinking of WR as a high value position.  Undersize DL are what you move up in the draft for

39 minutes ago, boyst said:

right now it's not the moving up i'm concerned about. i don't see ow chicago wouldn't draft one of the qbs and the giants wouldn't get one, too. #3 Patriots out of the mix for a top 2 QB trading down in the 1st to pickup a QB or anyone else later would be ideal for them to help rebuild.

the bears second pick they're going to want to get a WR to pair with their new QB. The packers, rams, titans, skins and bucs would also welcome a top tier WR.

nabers, odunze, coleman, and more all may well be fine and good but if i am buffalo i go into this draft hard.

i go up and get MH Jr. and come back up to get Coleman. those two with Diggs and Kincaid would be unstoppable. 

i am 100% that serious and committed to Josh passing.

Just saying we have no idea how things will play out yet with draft order. Either of chicagos picks could be top 3. But with the way things are going this season they could be out of the top 5 just as easily.

Your assessment of the other teams seems right but I’d say that any team with a new HC, or a HC on the hot seat may not be making moves that you might normally see. For example, if Belicheck gets the boot (highly unlikely imo) I could see a new coach coming in and not caring about what the “experts” say and just drafts a guy at QB and doesn’t risk playing games with trading back. Same thing goes for Belicheck if he’s still here. It’s obvious he’s missed on Jones. If he’s feeling any kind of heat and he even thinks there’s a guy that he wants at QB he might not take the chance of trading back and picking him up later. 

I think the Rams with Puca Nacua now might be changing the thought they need a WR. 

of the Bucs resign Evans I’m not sure I see them going that route. 

And let’s be honest. The Packers. skins, and Titans are all terrible organizations right now and I’m not sure id bet on them making the right picks at this point. that doesn’t meant that someone won’t be trading up into this spots. It’s almost a guarantee that there will be moves in the top 5 and top 10. One of the reasons I wanted to sell a bunch at the deadline. If we could have gotten a 3 for Davis, pair that with the 3 from Tremaine. We might have enough ammo to get up there for a MHJr if he makes it to 5-7

There’s still plenty of football ahead of us. As well as college. For all we know someone drops off the side of a cliff and falls out of top 5 by draft time. All things are possible. 

13 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You hit the nail on the head.  I don't think this regime is constitutionally capable of thinking of WR as a high value position.  Undersize DL are what you move up in the draft for

That’s because Mcdummy needs his 18 guy rotation at DL 

52 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

lol i absolutely hate it but you know that Beane will take DL in teh 1st round.  hell, he'll probably trade up

The only non-WR i would even have them consider is OL, especially if one of the beastly Alabama 350+ guys are around

Or secondary help. Who knows if Tre comes back. Poyer and Hyde are over 30. 

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Or secondary help. Who knows if Tre comes back. Poyer and Hyde are over 30. 

Lather, rinse, repeat.  The philosophy seems to be, we can only get our DL & CB/S high in the draft, but we can get our WRs late, or off the scrap heap

Maybe, and bear with me here, we did the opposite?  Just to humor those of us who are watching the NFL in the 2020s and not the 1970s?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

Lather, rinse, repeat.  The philosophy seems to be, we can only get our DL & CB/S high in the draft, but we can get our WRs late, or off the scrap heap

Maybe, and bear with me here, we did the opposite?  Just to humor those of us who are watching the NFL in the 2020s and not the 1970s?

I agree with you, but this is Beane and McDermott we are talking about. You know how Sean loves his defense.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I agree with you, but this is Beane and McDermott we are talking about. You know how Sean loves his defense.

This is what it’s all about. Mcdummy getting his wish list ready and handing it over to Beane and telling him that’s what he needs to be competitive in this league. As if he hasn’t had his pick of the litter almost every draft and offseason with FAs to fill in his defensive holes that apparently he cannot overcome despite being a defensive minded coach. Fricken joke  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

This is what it’s all about. Mcdummy getting his wish list ready and handing it over to Beane and telling him that’s what he needs to be competitive in this league. As if he hasn’t had his pick of the litter almost every draft and offseason with FAs to fill in his defensive holes that apparently he cannot overcome despite being a defensive minded coach. Fricken joke  

You are preaching to the choir here. I think it's time to move on from McDermott, but my opinion is meaningless. Have to wait and see what Terry does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, mrags said:

Don’t care 

Honestly, they have done a pretty good job of filling those DL holes, even if on a bunch of one year deals. Marvin Harrison Jr is a stud. If you already have a QB, I don’t see how you pick anyone else in this draft if you have a shot at him. There will be some good WR’s later, of course, but every time I see him he looks like the best player on the field.  And it doesn’t seem very close. 

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Xavier Leggette from South Carolina. Deebo Samuel like. 6’3” 225lbs. 4.29 40 yd dash

Seems kinda stiff watching him. I just looked him ip on YouTube. Doesn’t seem like he’s a particularly good route runner. Just a go up and get it guy. I also don’t see how he runs a 4.29. Doesn’t look that fast at all. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

BUT SEAN HOW CAN I BUILD A LEGIT BEND THEN BREAK DEFENSE IF I DONT SPEND ALL MY HIGH DRAFT CAPITAL ON PLAYERS WHO WILL BEND THEN BREAK? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

You are preaching to the choir here. I think it's time to move on from McDermott, but my opinion is meaningless. Have to wait and see what Terry does.

Oh he’s gonna be here next year no doubt. Which is just sad. He’s used all his excuses so let’s see what new excuses he’s got for next year. I’m guessing it’ll be because there’s a new DC and new OC and it’s gonna take a while to “find an identity” 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Honestly, they have done a pretty good job of filling those DL holes, even if on a bunch of one year deals. Marvin Harrison Jr is a stud. If you already have a QB, I don’t see how you pick anyone else in this draft if you have a shot at him. There will be some good WR’s later, of course, but every time I see him he looks like the best player on the field.  And it doesn’t seem very close. 

Yes. I agree. I hope you’re not confusing me with someone that wants an other terrible DL for McDermott to not play for 3 years until his contract year. Because he doesn’t trust rookies. 

45 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That's where the hole's are though.  1 DT, 2 DEs - and only one of those players is on a rookie contract. Safety too.  FA will occur prior to the draft and get us a better understanding.  

I feel like younger WRs are making an impact more and more, so i'd like to see 2 in this draft.   We have a lot of picks, just don't want to use a ton of capital to move up.  

On 11/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, RyanC883 said:

Good news is this that this mock draft won't remotely resemble that actual draft, they never do.  So I wouldn't put any stock into where we "need" to be in the draft for X position or player based on early mocks not remotely accurate to what will actually happen.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

As of right now it looks to me like this roster has more holes than the draft picks and cap space that’ll be needed to fill them. They’re going to need a whole bunch of picks and free agents to pan out…in a hurry. 

Which is why they should have sold off at the trade deadline. Especially after all the injuries happened. They should have known it wasn’t going to happen this year. But the geniuses at OBD thought that spending additional draft picks and cap space was a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Which is why they should have sold off at the trade deadline. Especially after all the injuries happened. They should have known it wasn’t going to happen this year. But the geniuses at OBD thought that spending additional draft picks and cap space was a good thing. 

I’m not sure I knew at the time, but signing Von Miller appears to have been a huge mistake that’ll haunt the roster for some years to come. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.