On Veterans Day - appreciating our own and all others

Fan in Chicago

6 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Thank you, Veterans everywhere. It's never too often to acknowledge your service and sacrifices 

Much respect and appreciation to these I know of on this forum:

@Ned Flanders

@MAJBobby

@Dukestreetking

@Gugny

@CountryCletus

@John from Riverside

@R. Rich 

@damj

@jkeerie

@Johnnycage46

@sherpa

You're welcome:flirt::P

Semper Fi Devil Dogs:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Thank you, Veterans everywhere. It's never too often to acknowledge your service and sacrifices 

Much respect and appreciation to these I know of on this forum:

@Ned Flanders

@MAJBobby

@Dukestreetking

@Gugny

@CountryCletus

@John from Riverside

@R. Rich 

@damj

@jkeerie

@Johnnycage46

@sherpa

Thank you, much appreciated!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks to everyone that has served. I'm retired AF. A lot of times it was just a job. A couple of nasty deployments. And there were several tasks I wish I could have said no, I quit. (hauling tower anchors up a hill in Korea), too many long shifts and changing shifts. Desert Storm. But with all that, WW-2 was worse.

i rewatched a movie tonight, "The 12th Man", WW-2. I watched it several years ago,  It was on Netflix and I passed it by several times before I finally picked it. Awesome movie. Subtitled but easy to follow. True story, highly recommended!!

Edit: Btw......You might need hot chocolate of a cup of hot coffee to watch that movie.

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

As someone who spent time in Earth's kitty litter box, I can attest. Heat, flies, sandstorms, more heat, boredom and more heat.

The sandstorms weren't quite as dramatic as the ones in the movies that destroy everything in their path, but they were annoying.  I got so tired of sand being in my mouth, ears, eyes, crotch, hair, between my toes...  everywhere.  When I returned to the States, I told myself I would never forget how glorious a good shower was.  Of course, I did. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The sandstorms weren't quite as dramatic as the ones in the movies that destroy everything in their path, but they were annoying.  I got so tired of sand being in my mouth, ears, eyes, crotch, hair, between my toes...  everywhere.  When I returned to the States, I told myself I would never forget how glorious a good shower was.  Of course, I did. 

Man, I totally forgot about those til this. Good times. They would just come out of nowhere too, then be gone as soon as they started. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Between the sand and the charcoal from the MOPP gear, yeah, the filthy was real. That and waking up with flies in your nose, mouth and ears. Good times 😄

Thanks to all that served especially to combat vets. Funny Bills story. AF vet deployed for year. While gone brother put me in for Perry’s Ice cream Best fan of year and used a picture of me at a T-wall with a Buffalo Bill painted on it in Iraq. Also either as a joke or something for favorite flavor he checked sugar free rainbow sherbet as fav flavor. Anyhow, we were a top 10 finalist and winner get tixs to Tampa game, go on field before and threw tunnel.  But I was gone for year and wife (not a native WNY but had become a Bills fan) and mom got to experience it all. She still remarks at what a specimen TO was.  They did put my picture on jumbo tron I think with a giant rainbow saying fav flavor sugar free rainbow sherbet. I still catch sh!t from some buddies about that who were at the game.  

Thank you vets. Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is incredibly kind, FiC, thank you. 

It was an honor to serve, but I would like to express my most sincere gratitude to the combat vets. 

They are on an entirely different level. 

Happy Veterans Day. 

This is how feel as well. I was drafted during the Vietnam war, but they sent me to Germany.

The guys who saw combat are definitely on a different level. That experience can change your life dramatically.

I give thanks for those guys.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

USMC - Served with the 1st Marine Airwing Band in Iwakuni Japan.

I'm proud of what I did and learned a lot about a lot of things.

I'm going to second @Gugny and @Poleshifter. Any veteran that saw combat has my ultimate respect.

Thanks to all veterans wherever you are.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thank you so much for the acknowledgement...I served during the Carter Cold War years and the closest I came to any action, thankfully, was when a Russian MiG buzzed my carrier off Gitmo.

Our combat vets deserve all the credit in the world...they are our nation's finest.  "All gave some, some gave all."

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.