Ben Solak (The Ringer) Analysis of Josh's Decisions this Year

JohnRVA

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

For what it's worth Allen also leads the league in total TD's and QBR rating.  Allen is in fact playing better then almost every the other QB in the NFL.  And yet the Bills are still losing which is the crux of the problem.

He is playing better than most of the QBs in the league, like we hope he should be. He’s not playing on a higher level than every QB in the league as another poster suggested. 

I’m starting to get Edmunds vibes again…

There’s a contingent of fans stating what they see, wrt Allen, the offense, and the team’s struggles, and then there’s another group telling them what they’re seeing is wrong. That second group also never criticized the player, it was everyone else around him. “He’s doing his job and well,” as if that player doesn’t need to play better as well.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

He is playing better than most of the QBs in the league, like we hope he should be. He’s not playing on a higher level than every QB in the league as another poster suggested. 

I’m starting to get Edmunds vibes again…

There’s a contingent of fans stating what they see, wrt Allen, the offense, and the team’s struggles, and then there’s another group telling them what they’re seeing is wrong. That second group also never criticized the player, it was everyone else around him. “He’s doing his job and well,” as if that player doesn’t need to play better as well.

What QB's are playing better then Allen so far this year? 

Allen and Edmunds nave NOTHING in common and you lose all credibility when you suggest that they do.  At his best Edmunds was never a top 10 LB while Allen has been a top 5 QB for the last three and one half seasons including this one.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The argument being made is Allen is playing good, but needs to be consistently excellent all 4 qtrs of game for the Bills to win games. That’s a tough ask. QBs get sacked, hurried and turnovers happen. 

I would suggest that it's an impossible task as NO QB is excellent all 4 quarters in every game they play in.  Yet you're right to note that this seems to be the expectation of a surprisingly large number of fans on 2BT.

As the great QB analyst Greg Cosell repeatedly says when talking about the Bills & Allen:

"If you need your QB to be great every game then you have a problem and it's not the QB."

• Like (+1) 1

What QB's are playing better then Allen so far this year? 

Allen and Edmunds nave NOTHING in common and you lose all credibility when you suggest that they do.  At his best Edmunds was never a top 10 LB while Allen has been a top 5 QB for the last three and one half seasons including this one.

Allen is an all star, Edmunds was never close to that status. Obviously. The back and forth about who’s responsible for the lack of production (or struggles) is what was giving me the Edmunds vibes. I criticized Edmunds when he was here and was given a myriad of excuses as to why he was coming up short, or not making plays. I criticize Allen’s play when it’s warranted as well, but others here want to blame everyone but him. Allen shares blame for why the offense is struggling, he’s the guy who touches the ball on every single play. It’s that simple. He’s not entirely to blame and those around him can do better. That’s also an obvious take. That’s the parallel between the two players, Edmunds and Allen, discussion wise.

And if you think Allen has been playing on a higher level than Kermit over in KC, that’s a strong disagree. Allen may be ahead of him in stats, but to my eye there’s no other QB doing more with a worst supporting cast. Those WRs have failed him time and time again, they probably lead the league in drops. He has that special sort of magic that Allen has, but with even more consistency.
I wish we could play out the entire season with Allen and then play out the season again with Mahomes. Same opponents. The only way to do that is in Madden, but for those who believe Allen is a superior QB or has been playing better than Pat, I firmly believe they’d be in for a huge awakening. 

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Jacksonville provided the blueprint how to beat Josh, using two high shell.

This is nothing new.  Defenses tried this back when Daboll was here. Josh torched it before.  He has seen and torched just about everything.  This is why he was on an unstoppable roll in 2021, because nothing they threw at him worked.  Not two high shell, not man, not zone, not cover zero, not blitzes... nothing worked against him once he figured it out.  Like cover zero took him a couple games.

Everyone thinks taking checkdowns is the answer and sometimes it is but nobody is bringing their safeties down.  They dont give a crap about the checkdown.  Making us play perfect for 15 play drives is what they are going to do because nobody can consistently play perfect on those kinds of drives when one mistake ends the drive.  One missed pass, one penalty, one sack, one turnover, one stuffed run, etc etc... all end the drive unless there is a defensive mistake or Allen makes a super hero play.  That isn't going to consistently happen.

Edited by Scott7975

18 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

We have a very complex offense that is easily predictable and looks vanilla. That’s a HUGE problem and it’s all Dorsey in terms of the scheme.

Josh’s problem is that he refuses to take the open short stuff. If he did that early, he gets in a rhythm and then the deeper stuff will open up as the defense adjusts to take away what’s working. The problem is this offense doesn’t seem to scheme against an opponents weaknesses. Dorsey just says “this is who we are, stop us” and teams have been doing that pretty regularly over the past 5 games.

There are other issues - the lack of running game, Gabe Davis sucking again, Harty not being used at all, etc.

I think one of the biggest issues was the huge emphasis in the beginning of the year of Josh running less. That was asinine, the guy needs to run to be his best. He’s not as good as Mahomes/Burrow at pre and post snap reads. He needs the threat of the run to open things up more for him.

Bottom line - It’s year 6 for Josh and he should have evolved by now to take what the defense gives him until it opens up what he wants to do (intermediate/deep shots). Why he refuses to do that idk because when he does, he’s nearly unstoppable. 

I agree with most of this but its not josh not taking the shorter stuff is that there are too many options to read. There is too much thinking involved for everyone and he ends up making the wrong decision.

Its not reading each WR then going to the next its reading multiple options by that one WR then reading multiple options for the next and so on. That will slow any offense down. 

I would also like to see Isabella given a Beasley type roll .

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

not close 😂

Allen last 3 games

84/119

949 total yards

8TDs/3ints

Burrow last 3 games

83/111

867 total yards

7TDs/1int

3 Int’s vs. 1.  What loses games?  Turnovers.

We all love Josh, but watching that game last Sunday if you didn’t think Burrow did a better job then you’re hero worshipping.

• Agree 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

We all love Josh, but watching that game last Sunday if you didn’t think Burrow did a better job then you’re hero worshipping.

Of course, Burrow played better than Josh on Sunday. There is no question of that. The question becomes "would you rather have Josh Allen than Joe Burrow" and I'm not sure how I would answer that question at this point. Burrow has done a much better job than Josh in adjusting to the new dink-and-dunk reality of the NFL. But Joe Burrow has also never won a college or pro game without an absolute all-star team surrounding him. What I will say is, having watched almost every game of Joe Burrow's NFL career, that watching Joe Burrow play QB is a lot less of a stressful experience for a fan than watching Josh Allen play. He always makes the correct decision, but that's because he's a coach's son. We Bills fans will have to be on the Josh Allen rollercoaster. We have no choice.

Another thing (and I always get a lot of red Xs for this point); the Bengals offense is chock full of players who won big in HS and college. Did you know that Joe Burrow took Athens HS, a team that had no history of winning, all the way to the Ohio State Championship Game? People in WNY have no idea how big HS football is in a place like Ohio, but this is a huge deal. Winning is a learned skill, and Duke Tobin places a lot of value on it. Beane drafts for physical traits.

31 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Of course, Burrow played better than Josh on Sunday. There is no question of that. The question becomes "would you rather have Josh Allen than Joe Burrow" and I'm not sure how I would answer that question at this point. Burrow has done a much better job than Josh in adjusting to the new dink-and-dunk reality of the NFL. But Joe Burrow has also never won a college or pro game without an absolute all-star team surrounding him. What I will say is, having watched almost every game of Joe Burrow's NFL career, that watching Joe Burrow play QB is a lot less of a stressful experience for a fan than watching Josh Allen play. He always makes the correct decision, but that's because he's a coach's son. We Bills fans will have to be on the Josh Allen rollercoaster. We have no choice.

Another thing (and I always get a lot of red Xs for this point); the Bengals offense is chock full of players who won big in HS and college. Did you know that Joe Burrow took Athens HS, a team that had no history of winning, all the way to the Ohio State Championship Game? People in WNY have no idea how big HS football is in a place like Ohio, but this is a huge deal. Winning is a learned skill, and Duke Tobin places a lot of value on it. Beane drafts for physical traits.

Both Allen and Burrow are great QBs.  Burrow is running his offense better than Josh is running his right now.  That likely  has some to do with Zac Taylor scheming better than Dorsey.  But Burrow also seems to take the throw that’s there more than Allen.

I’d like to see Allen take the easier short throws that will then open things up downfield.  He seems to do that more when they go fast tempo so I think Dorsey should go with that and quit farting around with other approaches.

Too many here are saying that Josh should just be left alone.  He is prone to bad decisions and as a result throws more picks than he should.  Brady always said he wanted to be coached hard; Josh could use that as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Both Allen and Burrow are great QBs.  Burrow is running his offense better than Josh is running his right now.  That likely  has some to do with Zac Taylor scheming better than Dorsey.  But Burrow also seems to take the throw that’s there more than Allen.

I’d like to see Allen take the easier short throws that will then open things up downfield.  He seems to do that more when they go fast tempo so I think Dorsey should go with that and quit farting around with other approaches.

Too many here are saying that Josh should just be left alone.  He is prone to bad decisions and as a result throws more picks than he should.  Brady always said he wanted to be coached hard; Josh could use that as well.

People here in Cincinnati would disagree with you on Taylor. They think his offense is vanilla and relies too much on Burrow and Chase making plays. They all wonder what Mike McDaniel would do with their roster. The grass is always greener.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

People here in Cincinnati would disagree with you on Taylor. They think his offense is vanilla and relies too much on Burrow and Chase making plays. They all wonder what Mike McDaniel would do with their roster. The grass is always greener.

There you go.  I’m sure folks in KC are bitching about Reid too.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Allen is an all star, Edmunds was never close to that status. Obviously. The back and forth about who’s responsible for the lack of production (or struggles) is what was giving me the Edmunds vibes. I criticized Edmunds when he was here and was given a myriad of excuses as to why he was coming up short, or not making plays. I criticize Allen’s play when it’s warranted as well, but others here want to blame everyone but him. Allen shares blame for why the offense is struggling, he’s the guy who touches the ball on every single play. It’s that simple. He’s not entirely to blame and those around him can do better. That’s also an obvious take. That’s the parallel between the two players, Edmunds and Allen, discussion wise.

And if you think Allen has been playing on a higher level than Kermit over in KC, that’s a strong disagree. Allen may be ahead of him in stats, but to my eye there’s no other QB doing more with a worst supporting cast. Those WRs have failed him time and time again, they probably lead the league in drops. He has that special sort of magic that Allen has, but with even more consistency.
I wish we could play out the entire season with Allen and then play out the season again with Mahomes. Same opponents. The only way to do that is in Madden, but for those who believe Allen is a superior QB or has been playing better than Pat, I firmly believe they’d be in for a huge awakening. 

I agree that under the circumstances Mahomes is having a better season then Allen.  That's why I said Allen was playing better then "almost every other QB". 

I also find your argument unpersuasive.  Sure Allen could play better, every QB could including Mahomes, could play better. But Allan's play is not the core problem with our offense.  So which of the following do you think would move the needle more on offensive production keeping everything else the same:

*  Improved play by Allen.

*  Improved play by the O line.

*  Improved play by the skill players.

*  Improved coaching & play calling.

* A commitment over the last four seasons to spending high draft picks & FA signings on the O line and skill players.

To me the answer is obvious. How about you?

I've said since his rookie year, the dude is gonna knock your socks off with some plays and make you scratch your head a bit on some others. It's who he is. If anything, I feel like maybe the dude overthinks a bit. All this "low positive" stuff and always trying to maintain a balanced mood over the games. I dunno, I get it, but I kinda miss that dude who was always chirping on the sidelines and getting his guys amped up. Not that he doesn't do that, just seems to be less of it. 

Whoever in this thread said they need to cut loose and have fun had it right. 

Allens biggest flaw is that hes not as good as Mahomes. Bills fans want Buffalo to be wire to wire SB favorites over multiple years. The reality is that is exceedingly difficult. Reserved for the Pats and current Chiefs of the world. Teams have down years even with good QBs, think Big Ben & Brees. For that class of QB its about finding the right combination of team and luck in a year and it all coming together. Im sure year-to-year people in Pitt and NOLA were frustrated that werent as consistent as Tom or Manning. But in retrospect, that era is remembered fondly because they got their SBs.

Allen is a very very very good QB. His careers will have ups and downs, twists and turns. The reality is that the Allen era will be about winning 1 in his career, not 3-5.

I am totally fine with that.

Edited by jletha

I agree that you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Josh. He has always reminded me of a more talented version of Favre. Josh has the physical tools to constantly wow us with things that no other QB can do. But he often fails when it comes to executing the smaller things that every NFL QB should be able to do.

The former is a skill set that he was blessed with and cannot be taught. The latter are things that he can do if he is consistently disciplined. The part that makes this so frustrating is that Josh HAS shown in various stretches that he is perfectly capable of being patient, disciplined and making the right decisions. The game against Miami this season is a great example of that.

The knee jerk reaction is to suggest that the issue is coaching. Maybe that is true -- but that wasn't exactly the case with Fave. That dude had Holmgren, Reid, Mariucci, and Gruden coaching him...

On 11/8/2023 at 9:51 PM, FrenchConnection said:

I don't want to see Josh take check-downs or play "efficient." Unleash the beast!

Sounds like you’re not into wining a championship, Allen not taking the obvious chain moving option is a large part of the offenses troubles, limiting the offense to being the mad bomber offense makes the Bills easy to defend.

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sounds like you’re not into wining a championship, Allen not taking the obvious chain moving option is a large part of the offenses troubles, limiting the offense to being the mad bomber offense makes the Bills easy to defend.

GO BILLS!!!

Execution wins championships.

There is definitely a time and place for Allen to take the checkdowns and move the chains. But when you have the opportunity for the mad bomber play, you have to take it and more importantly, you have to hit more times than not.

2 plays in the Bengals game come to mind. First was the home run ball to Harty. I have seen the All 22 and Gabe does eventually come free underneath for the easy competition. However, Allen was presented a single high look and had his "speed guy" in Harty one on one. This is a shot you simply have to take...however Harty couldn't really get separation and Josh made a less than great throw. 

Second play was the intentional grounding call. Again, Allen had options underneath. However he had Davis one on one and made the proper read and from the looks of where the ball landed he made a great throw...only to have Gabe cut it off. 

In both cases, yes there was a chance to move the ball, but they had chances and didn't execute the play. 

• Agree 1

On 11/8/2023 at 10:33 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Hey Josh, it’s the NFL in 2023, and we want you to be accurate on long balls.

And to help you do that we have Stefon Diggs, holdover Gabe Davis, and a 5th rounder who we forgot was even on the team until 3 games ago.

And then we brought in some weapons for you:

5’6” 170 pound Deonte Harty

Career journeyman Trent Sherfield

And a 6’3” 240 pound Tight End without the Brock Bowers wheels. 

Now get out there sport and make it happen! 

And if you show us you can do it, we’ll throw in some 33-year old Latavius Murray in the slot for you! 

Draft Bowers too!:wub:

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

To be honest I thought, how easy would it be for Josh if all his WRs had 4 yards of separation like the Bengals WRs. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree that under the circumstances Mahomes is having a better season then Allen.  That's why I said Allen was playing better then "almost every other QB". 

I also find your argument unpersuasive.  Sure Allen could play better, every QB could including Mahomes, could play better. But Allan's play is not the core problem with our offense.  So which of the following do you think would move the needle more on offensive production keeping everything else the same:

*  Improved play by Allen.

*  Improved play by the O line.

*  Improved play by the skill players.

*  Improved coaching & play calling.

* A commitment over the last four seasons to spending high draft picks & FA signings on the O line and skill players.

To me the answer is obvious. How about you?

Oh, so we were arguing the same point. Allen is not playing on a higher level than ALL other QBs in the league, but then you asked “who’s playing better?” as if to imply the statement was true. Shouldn’t have asked if you were in agreement.

Also, again, I didn’t say Allen’s play was the core problem with the offense, I said it contributed to part of the problem. He is missing reads, he is missing potential TDs, he hasn’t always been patient in the pocket, those are all true. As to what would move the needle? I’d like to immediately look at “coaching,” but seeing open receiving options that are being passed up gives me pause. Maybe that is a fault with the coaches, they’re not teaching Allen properly, who knows. None of us are in those meetings. I think the obvious answer is your last bullet point. If resources over the last four years had gone to that side of the ball AND Beane had hit on the picks/signings, they’d be so good it wouldn’t matter if Allen missed reads or TDs. They’d get it on the next play. Or the one after that. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No, I do not think Allen played better than Burrow last Sunday. But I also understand offenses play against defenses which is why when you want to compare QB performance it's more instructive to look at a larger sample than 1 head to head game, which is why I gave you those 3game stats.

I like to think I am capable of judging Allen objectively. It's not hero worshipping to say that he's at the top of the league in a lot of important efficiency metrics and top2-7 in all the major counting stats as well. No other QB has performed as well as Allen over the course of this season. It's not hero worshipping. It's just facts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I've thought that. 

At this rate the Bills might not have to move up for him. 

But nah in reality, they'd probably have to trade up for him, but that would be a true two Tight End set. 

Still want a WR. 

He's mocked Top 5, and I looked at CBS and USA Today and they have us taking a CB and DT. 

My gosh. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Execution wins championships.

There is definitely a time and place for Allen to take the checkdowns and move the chains. But when you have the opportunity for the mad bomber play, you have to take it and more importantly, you have to hit more times than not.

2 plays in the Bengals game come to mind. First was the home run ball to Harty. I have seen the All 22 and Gabe does eventually come free underneath for the easy competition. However, Allen was presented a single high look and had his "speed guy" in Harty one on one. This is a shot you simply have to take...however Harty couldn't really get separation and Josh made a less than great throw. 

Second play was the intentional grounding call. Again, Allen had options underneath. However he had Davis one on one and made the proper read and from the looks of where the ball landed he made a great throw...only to have Gabe cut it off. 

In both cases, yes there was a chance to move the ball, but they had chances and didn't execute the play. 

Agree, execution is paramount.  I would not want the long/longer passes to be absent, but when you need a first down you take the high percentage pass so you have better chance for a new series of downs that gives you the opportunities to try the low completion percentage long ball that may get you some points, its all about “when” to go short or long with a pass, situational football decisions make and break games. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Agree, execution is paramount.  I would not want the long/longer passes to be absent, but when you need a first down you take the high percentage pass so you have better chance for a new series of downs that gives you the opportunities to try the low completion percentage long ball that may get you some points, its all about “when” to go short or long with a pass, situational football decisions make and break games. 

GO BILLS!!!

I do agree.

However it's important to recognize that situational football also means  having awareness of your tendencies and throwing tendency breakers in as well. For instance, if you typically throw short of the sticks on 3rd and medium, taking that deep pop in that situation is smart at times as it will keep a defense playing honest. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Oh, so we were arguing the same point. Allen is not playing on a higher level than ALL other QBs in the league, but then you asked “who’s playing better?” as if to imply the statement was true. Shouldn’t have asked if you were in agreement.

Also, again, I didn’t say Allen’s play was the core problem with the offense, I said it contributed to part of the problem. He is missing reads, he is missing potential TDs, he hasn’t always been patient in the pocket, those are all true. As to what would move the needle? I’d like to immediately look at “coaching,” but seeing open receiving options that are being passed up gives me pause. Maybe that is a fault with the coaches, they’re not teaching Allen properly, who knows. None of us are in those meetings. I think the obvious answer is your last bullet point. If resources over the last four years had gone to that side of the ball AND Beane had hit on the picks/signings, they’d be so good it wouldn’t matter if Allen missed reads or TDs. They’d get it on the next play. Or the one after that. 

If you are trying to diagnose the problems facing the Bills offense Allen is the least of those problems.  Sure he could play better as any player could but if I had to prioritize the top 5 issues the Bills O faces Allen would not make the list. 

And imagine if instead of Miller the Bills had signed Hill or McCafrey?  Or that they had used one or two of the three first round picks from 2019, 2021, & 2022 on an O lineman or skill player?

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree that Taylor and the Bengal's O coordinator together are scheming their O better then Dorsey is for the Bills.  And it's a lot easier for Burrow to run his offense better then Allen runs his because Burrow has a much better O line, RB & WR group to utilize. 

Allen is being asked to do too much, as usual, and it’s affecting him mentally. He looks burned out already and I think that’s because most of Dorsey’s plays are “Josh go make it happen”. I spoke to an ex OC who you’d all know and he mentioned that Andrew Luck once told him something very interesting. Andrew told him that when the game plan was such that 25 plays turned into him making something happen and was solely on him to do so, that he got mentally fried. That’s from one of the most intelligent/cerebral QBs to play the game. I think that’s where we are with Josh, I think he’s mentally burned out. The OC also said from his stand point it looks like the plays are selected out of a hat with no flow or continuity from one play to the other. Buffalo has no identity right now. Take it for what it’s worth. None of this is groundbreaking or anything we haven’t seen. I just thought it was interesting to have those opinions echoed by a guy who really knows his stuff.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No, I do not think Allen played better than Burrow last Sunday. But I also understand offenses play against defenses which is why when you want to compare QB performance it's more instructive to look at a larger sample than 1 head to head game, which is why I gave you those 3game stats.

I like to think I am capable of judging Allen objectively. It's not hero worshipping to say that he's at the top of the league in a lot of important efficiency metrics and top2-7 in all the major counting stats as well. No other QB has performed as well as Allen over the course of this season. It's not hero worshipping. It's just facts.

Funny how we get accused of "hero worship" for defending Allen on 2BD.  As you note the stats are pretty clear that Allen is having a very strong season.

Over my professional life I've found that most problems can be explained by 2 or 3 big issues that if resolved fix the problem.  My objective assessment of the Bills offensive limitations involves coaching, O line & skill players and more broadly that the Bills have focused the lions share of the teams resources on the D rather then the O. Getting more out of Allen wouldn't make my top 5. 

3 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Allen is being asked to do too much, as usual, and it’s affecting him mentally. He looks burned out already and I think that’s because most of Dorsey’s plays are “Josh go make it happen”. I spoke to an ex OC who you’d all know and he mentioned that Andrew Luck once told him something very interesting. Andrew told him that when the game plan was such that 25 plays turned into him making something happen and was solely on him to do so, that he got mentally fried. That’s from one of the most intelligent/cerebral QBs to play the game. I think that’s where we are with Josh, I think he’s mentally burned out. The OC also said from his stand point it looks like the plays are selected out of a hat with no flow or continuity from one play to the other. Buffalo has no identity right now. Take it for what it’s worth. None of this is groundbreaking or anything we haven’t seen. I just thought it was interesting to have those opinions echoed by a guy who really knows his stuff.

Every time I read something like this the Greg Cosell quote pops up in my mind:  "if you need you QB to be great every game then you have a problem and it's not the QB."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:52 PM, Bob Jones said:

This guy does an excellent job detailing JA’s weaknesses. JA may not be as good as we think he is. I guess all we can do is see if he improves on those weaknesses in the rest of the games this year.

Edit to add: Getting a kick at all of the posters who basically are saying that Josh is the second coming of Tom Brady, and he can do no wrong. I’m not totally surprised though, as has been noted before, there are tons of homer Bills fans with red & blue binders on.

The bottom line is that the tape doesn’t lie, but stats often do lie because there’s more to the story. Anybody who thinks that he hasn’t regressed since 2021 is just in denial, or maybe blind.

Coaching/teaching/details have regressed

This video should be mandatory viewing for everyone on this board.

Just like the drought days, people need to remember EXECUTION matters more than anything else. We all love to blame the OC for the shortcomings of the offense, but so many of these issues are simply failure to execute. 

Josh being banged up certainly doesn't help, but way too many of these issues are about not reading the situation, and making the wrong choices. Accuracy on deep throws is terrible as well, but that's one of those problems you can argue is most impacted by whatever is going on with his shoulder.

But if the injury is impacting him THAT much (with only Mac Jones being less accurate on those throws), then that's where Dorsey, Allen & even McDermott need to come together & figure out a gameplan that doesn't involve many of those throws.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No other QB has performed as well as Allen over the course of this season. It's not hero worshipping. It's just facts.

Except for those who have eyes & watch the full games, rather than checkout box scores. 

I already made this point in another thread, but the last month+ of this season, Allen has been nowhere close to the top QB in the league, and suggesting "no other QB has performed as well" as him over the season looks more & more silly with each passing game. 

Averaging it out over 9 & pretending that's how he's played all year is just a nice way to disguise how he's played for 5 straight games. Using box stats to inflate how good he was in a game also is misleading. 

I mean, look at how great Josh was in London against the Jags - 27/40, 359 yards, 3 TDs, 102 passer rating!

But in reality, the Bills only put up 7 points on 1 TD & 1 INT until only about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

And it's not like the Giants, Pats or Bengals games were much better. Even the Bucs game was inconsistent, but the box score looks solid! There is no way anyone but Bills fans would suggest that NO OTHER QB has performed as well as Allen this season.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Except for those who have eyes & watch the full games, rather than checkout box scores. 

I already made this point in another thread, but the last month+ of this season, Allen has been nowhere close to the top QB in the league, and suggesting "no other QB has performed as well" as him over the season looks more & more silly with each passing game. 

Averaging it out over 9 & pretending that's how he's played all year is just a nice way to disguise how he's played for 5 straight games. Using box stats to inflate how good he was in a game also is misleading. 

I mean, look at how great Josh was in London against the Jags - 27/40, 359 yards, 3 TDs, 102 passer rating!

But in reality, the Bills only put up 7 points on 1 TD & 1 INT until only about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

And it's not like the Giants, Pats or Bengals games were much better. Even the Bucs game was inconsistent, but the box score looks solid! There is no way anyone but Bills fans would suggest that NO OTHER QB has performed as well as Allen this season.

How would I check out box scores w no eyes

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/8/2023 at 10:17 PM, reddogblitz said:

I agree with the guy on the video. Josh's accuracy on the long ball has been off this year.  Even pre injury.  He's got Diggs or Shakir or Gabe on an open bomb and over air mails him by 5 yards.  Reminds me of 2018 Josh. He can throw it a country mile. We're just not sure where its gonna come down.

Maybe he spent too much time in the off season making commercials, playing celebrity golf tournaments, and chasing girls and not enough time practicing his passing.

I'm so sick of this narrative. I'm sick of seeing commercials with Mahomes, Kelsey and Reid. They've won Super Bowls

How has that commercial action impacted their performance? 

This notion that Josh is impacted by this is a joke.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.