Bills vs Broncos-Monday Night Football

BuffaloBillyG

46 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not disagreeing with you at all, but quite simply that's the ballad of the loser.

The simplest clichés hold true...good teams win games.  If they are not winning, they are not good. 

The "hard work" is easily equitable to Connery's ('The Rock") line of, "Your "best"?!  Losers whine about doing their best.  Winners go home and **** the prom queen."

They can do a ton of hard work and it may yield the exact same result: 4 whole games, even wins, of meh.

Let's hope something goes off with them or they find their way to the holy grail soon because we need Mr. Momentum to pop in and stay through Christmas. 

GO Bills!

A season is made up of many chapters.  Lots of “good teams” suffer through peaks and valleys throughout a campaign.  Some suffer through more than others.  

If putting in the hard work with hope to find out what works best is a losers mentality, what is a winning mentality?  what does this team need to do to not be a loser?  Or is it just inevitable?

I believe this is what every team does. In many cases “finding out what works best” is something more specific…..I’m making a generalization.  For us- we need to figure out how to become more consistent and score more points offensively.  On defense, we have to get healthy and hope von comes around.  If Von comes around and Ed, Rousseau and the DBs get healthy we can get back to being a top 10 D.  Plus a consistent offense that scores points and a SB is within our grasp.  I don’t believe that is so far fetched.  But it doesn’t happen without hard work and effort to figure it out.  

1 hour ago, GottaRun said:

Had a quick look at ticketmaster and tickets for tonight are available for $50.... wow.  

Does Fournette get a start tonight or is he not near being ready?

He’ll probably never start for this team

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

But he was answering a specific media question about his contract. He didn’t bring it up on his own. 

You didn't watch the presser, did you? The question and response is at 2:28. 

The question he was asked was about how he assessed the way he performed so far this year. NOTHING asked about the contract. At all. He actually DID bring that part up on his own. 

There are a million ways to answer that question without bringing up incentives. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The question he was asked was about how he assessed the way he performed so far this year. NOTHING asked about the contract. At all. He actually DID bring that part up on his own. 

There are a million ways to answer that question without bringing up incentives. 

Why would anyone have an issue with Ed Oliver wanting to reach an incentive by actually getting more sacks? That seems like the most straightforwardly positive-for-the-team individual incentive I can think of. If he gets sacks, the opponent is likely to score fewer points.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A season is made up of many chapters.  Lots of “good teams” suffer through peaks and valleys throughout a campaign.  Some suffer through more than others.  

If putting in the hard work with hope to find out what works best is a losers mentality, what is a winning mentality?  what does this team need to do to not be a loser?  Or is it just inevitable?

I believe this is what every team does. In many cases “finding out what works best” is something more specific…..I’m making a generalization.  For us- we need to figure out how to become more consistent and score more points offensively.  On defense, we have to get healthy and hope von comes around.  If Von comes around and Ed, Rousseau and the DBs get healthy we can get back to being a top 10 D.  Plus a consistent offense that scores points and a SB is within our grasp.  I don’t believe that is so far fetched.  But it doesn’t happen without hard work and effort to figure it out.  

He’ll probably never start for this team

👍

Knowing when to change.

Knowing how to best utilize the talent you have.

When the League says you should play by a particular book, throw out the book if it isn't working, but don't panic, because the desperate man isn't necessarily better.

The answer?  Honestly, I don't know.  I have heard some good ones recently, but what difference do any of them make if the Bills themselves don't discover them or aren't willing to undertake them?

I just know we have lost recently to bad teams around this League (1-1 against 2 out of the bottom 3, and a pass interference call away from possibly being 0-2), while other teams thought to be behind the Bills have defeated teams the Bills have no clue how to up-end, or are incapable of defeating.  

I watched an impressive initial touchdown drive last week only to see the Bills the next time out feel they have to outthink success.  

I guess I would just do success until it fails.  If my team was lost in the woods for some reason and then had success, I would do that exact same thing, I mean the exact same thing until the other team proved they could stop it, and hopefully by then it would be too much and too late for the other team to make up the difference.

"But it is not that simple."

Actually it kind of is.  They should at least try it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Why would anyone have an issue with Ed Oliver wanting to reach an incentive by actually getting more sacks? That seems like the most straightforwardly positive-for-the-team individual incentive I can think of. If he gets sacks, the opponent is likely to score fewer points.

I disagree. So if Ed gets 3 sacks over the rest of the year in garbage time...that helps us how? 

But as I said above, it's more of a timing issue. Sitting at 5-4 and "in the hunt" I'm sorry, I don't want to (and many others feel the same) hear about personal incentives in the contract. Not the time to be talking about your bank. 

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

👍

Knowing when to change.

Knowing how to best utilize the talent you have.

When the League says you should play by a particular book, throw out the book if it isn't working, but don't panic, because the desperate man isn't necessarily better.

The answer?  Honestly, I don't know.  I have heard some good ones recently, but what difference do any of them make if the Bills themselves don't discover them or aren't willing to undertake them?

I just know we have lost recently to bad teams around this League (1-1 against 2 out of the bottom 3, and a pass interference call away from possibly being 0-2), while other teams thought to be behind the Bills have defeated teams the Bills have no clue how to up-end, or are incapable of defeating.  

I watched an impressive initial touchdown drive last week only to see the Bills the next time out feel they have to outthink success.  

I guess I would just do success until it fails.  If my team was lost in the woods for some reason and then had success, I would do that exact same thing, I mean the exact same thing until the other team proved they could stop it, and hopefully by then it would be too much and too late for the other team to make up the difference.

"But it is not that simple."

Actually it kind of is.  They should at least try it.

Ok, so the difference is “knowing”.  Imo, in most cases when teams are trying to fight the funk, they don’t know exactly how to fix it.  They work at it.  We obviously don’t “know” yet, so the only thing we can do is work hard and try and figure it out.  Put the work in in the film room and practice field- develop ideas and out them into action.  Throw them against the wall

and see if it sticks. I don’t consider that a loser mentality.

It sounds very similar to what your suggesting. In your eyes, 

Regarding the bolded, they should try what?  What they did on the first drive vs Cinci?  Pass every play?  

I bet that they’ll be trying stuff they think will work.  Problem is, they just don’t “know” yet.  All they can do is work hard and hope they figure it out.  “Loser mentality” 

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

“The only thing on my mind is getting that incentive”. 

I love Ed.  Huge supporter.  I didn’t like that answer either.  The only thing on his mind is reaching his incentive.  Poor choice of words imo

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Football character. Lockerroom leader.

”I’m on track to make lots of money this year”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok, so the difference is “knowing”.  Imo, in most cases when teams are trying to fight the funk, they don’t know exactly how to fix it.  They work at it.  We obviously don’t “know” yet, so the only thing we can do is work hard and try and figure it out.  Put the work in in the film room and practice field- develop ideas and out them into action.  Throw them against the wall

Regarding the bolded, they should try what?  What they did on the first drive vs Cinci?  Pass every play?  

I bet that they’ll be trying stuff they think will work.  Problem is, they just don’t “know” yet.  All they can do is work hard and hope they figure it out.  “Loser mentality” 

I love Ed.  Huge supporter.  I didn’t like that answer either.  The only thing on his mind is reaching his incentive.  Poor choice of words imo

Meh. Ed Oliver is hardly Cicero, so I don't expect much on the public speaking front. I don't take any of this stuff seriously. He wants to make money and he wants to sack quarterbacks. All ok with me.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Thank you....unfortunately over 80% of the league just cares about the bag. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Meh. Ed Oliver is hardly Cicero, so I don't expect much on the public speaking front. I don't take any of this stuff seriously. He wants to make money and he wants to sack quarterbacks. All ok with me.

I hear ya.  Cicero he is not! 🤣

I just didn’t appreciate his choice of words

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Their thinking and their work have been wrong and nobody here, not me and not you, even needs to go though the litany of "what" and "why" because we actually see it lately week in and week out.  We comment about it, repeatedly here.  We see it in the plays and see it in the Oline. 

We are pushing against the same rock but for some reason you want to keep implying that I am stating don't do work and don't study, which I am not.

What they are working on, what they are studying, what they are implementing isn't working...so really the answer is do more of that, exactly that, just harder and more focused and it will work?! 

Does anyone here...do you think that albeit briefly and against suspect teams the Raiders...the mostly s****y Raiders, decided for the last two weeks to doing exactly what McDaniel wanted them to do, but they are just working and studying harder?

One of the firm commitments, though,  I will make is that sometimes when going over the film we'll say, "oh man, what was Josh thinking, he had a guy right there," isn't really even Josh as much as it is what do you have Josh thinking about and going through before he gets to that point?

If we are going to ask the question of, "what's wrong with Josh?" in some of these scenarios maybe we should first ask, "what have we changed for Josh or what are we doing differently with him?" and not run to the eternal well spring of  "Gosh, they've figured Allen out.", because that is just an excuse to accept the imposition of the other team's will on the Bills.

...or maybe he just needs to either switch back to the old girlfriend or get over her.

Go Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Their thinking and their work have been wrong and nobody here, not me and not you, even needs to go though the litany of "what" and "why" because we actually see it lately week in and week out.  We comment about it, repeatedly here.  We see it in the plays and see it in the Oline. 

We are pushing against the same rock but for some reason you want to keep implying that I am stating don't do work and don't study, which I am not.

What they are working on, what they are studying, what they are implementing isn't working...so really the answer is do more of that, exactly that, just harder and more focused and it will work?! 

Does anyone here...do you think that albeit briefly and against suspect teams the Raiders...the mostly s****y Raiders, decided for the last two weeks to doing exactly what McDaniel wanted them to do, but they are just working and studying harder?

One of the firm commitments, though,  I will make is that sometimes when going over the film we'll say, "oh man, what was Josh thinking, he had a guy right there," isn't really even Josh as much as it is what do you have Josh thinking about and going through before he gets to that point?

If we are going to ask the question of, "what's wrong with Josh?" in some of these scenarios maybe we should first ask, "what have we changed for Josh or what are we doing differently with him?" and not run to the eternal well spring of  "Gosh, they've figured Allen out.", because that is just an excuse to accept the imposition of the other team's will on the Bills.

...or maybe he just needs to either switch back to the old girlfriend or get over her.

Go Bills!

I’m not implying that at all.  

Regarding the following paragraph ….. what they have been doing so far hasn’t been working.  You’re correct.  Then you go on to imply that they won’t figure it out because they haven’t yet.  That very well may be the case.  It may not.   We don’t know what it’s going to take to get this right….but I’m confidant that they will give it their best try.  That’s all we have right now.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Run Up-Tempo / No Huddle all game if it keeps working.

I feel like the Bills are markedly better on offense EVERY SINGLE TIME they go into hurry-up!

It simplifies what defenses can do, it allows Josh more time to survey the defense pre-snap and make protection changes and audibles, and it probably means a bit more Josh and a bit less Dorsey, which we can all likely agree seems pretty appealing right about now.

I understand all the talk about varying tempos, controlling the flow of the game, blah blah blah, but if you ask me, the Bills' base offense should be hurry-up no huddle unless and until opposing defenses routinely show they can stop it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t think it is. Fournette said that the Bills passing scheme is the most complicated he has ever seen. All those choice routes require the pass catcher to read the defense, not just run a precise route. Also, contrary to popular belief in TBD, Hines was traded to the Bills on a Tuesday and played that Sunday against the Jets. Josh attempted a long pass to him on a wheel route that was incomplete. 

Yeah an offense designed by an adderol riddled 13 year old with cheat codes on madden

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t think it is. Fournette said that the Bills passing scheme is the most complicated he has ever seen. All those choice routes require the pass catcher to read the defense, not just run a precise route. Also, contrary to popular belief in TBD, Hines was traded to the Bills on a Tuesday and played that Sunday against the Jets. Josh attempted a long pass to him on a wheel route that was incomplete. 

I read on TBD that Josh was on a podcast with Tom Brady and said they ran the same offense

To all the doom and gloom folks (and others):  Bills are undefeated at home this year (UK wasn't a home game).  We have 4 more home games this season.  Good chance we win all 4 or at least 3 of the 4.  If we do remain undefeated at home, that gives us 9 wins.  Only one more win on the road to get to 10-7.  The sky definitely isn't falling!  We got this tonight!  Go Bills!

11 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

To all the doom and gloom folks (and others):  Bills are undefeated at home this year (UK wasn't a home game).  We have 4 more home games this season.  Good chance we win all 4 or at least 3 of the 4.  If we do remain undefeated at home, that gives us 9 wins.  Only one more win on the road to get to 10-7.  The sky definitely isn't falling!  We got this tonight!  Go Bills!

10-7 might not win the division. Hopefully they can run the table at home and finish 8-0 although Dallas will be a tough game. Need to beat the Dolphins obviously and hopefully they can get another road win vs the Chargers, Chiefs, or Eagles.

Edited by Gregg

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

10-7 might not win the division. Hopefully then can run the table at home and finish 8-0 although Dallas will be a tough game. Need to beat the Dolphins obviously and hopefully they can get another road win vs the Chargers, Chiefs, or Eagles.

I'm pretty confident 10-7 gets the wildcard though. 10-7 with one of our wins being the second Miami game probably wins the division.

1 minute ago, TheWei44 said:

I think that the doom and gloom is because Bills fans have been waiting for the other show to drop since they became a contending team in 2020. It seemed too good to be true and something that happened to other teams and cities. Now that the team has hit a bit of adversity they feel validated in their scepticism. It’s like “this team has always sucked, they just fooled you kool-ade drinkers for a bit!’ Also, seething, white hot anger at the entire Buffalo Bills organization was the default mood for Bills fans for 20 years. It’s a hard habit to break and it probably feels like putting on a pair of comfortable slippers for many here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m not implying that at all.  

Regarding the following paragraph ….. what they have been doing so far hasn’t been working.  You’re correct.  Then you go on to imply that they won’t figure it out because they haven’t yet.  That very well may be the case.  It may not.   We don’t know what it’s going to take to get this right….but I’m confidant that they will give it their best try.  That’s all we have right now.  

👍 N.E.!

Best way to see is tonight.

Go Bills!

5 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I'm pretty confident 10-7 gets the wildcard though. 10-7 with one of our wins being the second Miami game probably wins the division.

They have a lot of conference losses, and the North has 4 good teams in the mix. Granted they will play each other so these teams will suffer losses. I just think the playoffs for the Bills will be the division or nothing. We will see how this plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They have a lot of conference losses, and the North has 4 good teams in the mix. Granted they will play each other so these teams will suffer losses. I just think the playoffs for the Bills will be the division or nothing. We will see how this plays out.

Yup, but Cincinnati is in the same boat...they only have one conference win(against us unfortunately)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yup, but Cincinnati is in the same boat...they only have one conference win(against us unfortunately)

I think if the Bengals lose this Thursday at Baltimore, then they are done. The Ravens will be 8-3 and will have swept the season series from the Bengals who would then drop to 5-5 with a loss.

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think if the Bengals lose this Thursday at Baltimore, then they are done. The Ravens will be 8-3 and will have swept the season series from the Bengals who would then drop to 5-5 with a loss.

Going to likely be without Higgins again and now Trey Hendrickson who will miss at least a few weeks with a hyperextended knee and waiting on MRI results to ensure it's not anything more than that. That's a tall order...but as we've seen, these inter-division games can really go any which way.

EDIT: MRI came back clean, no other damage.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

10-7 might not win the division. Hopefully they can run the table at home and finish 8-0 although Dallas will be a tough game. Need to beat the Dolphins obviously and hopefully they can get another road win vs the Chargers, Chiefs, or Eagles.

Just win the next two games first before worrying about the rest …they don’t then say good night for the year ..

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.