TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Looked like they were consciously trying to get Diggs involved in the 2nd half and the offense struggled to move the ball all of a sudden. I liked the multi-faceted first half approach, please keep targeting everyone. 

Looked like he got a lot of single coverage looks in the second half…can’t blame the team for going to your best player in those situations.  If the refs weren’t in ‘let’s keep this a game’ mode, diggs probably gets some of those holding calls 

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Well, it was before Allen went into the tent.

are you Ken Dorsey?

I’d agree that under center goal lines runs are probably less successful but not sneaking it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Seemed like op was makin the point that an under center non sneak is just as bad if not worse than a shotgun run 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No. Buck up and get those 6 inches.

I agree they need to make it happen and not fail, I'm not going to ree about the particular way in which they failed because i'm not a brainlet. Execution matters, not "you idiots chose a better formation than the one I want but failed!"

Edited by Franco_92

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Looked like he got a lot of single coverage looks in the second half…can’t blame the team for going to your best player in those situations.  If the refs weren’t in ‘let’s keep this a game’ mode, diggs probably gets some of those holding calls 

He was getting mugged pretty good and got zero calls, meanwhile the Bills get hit with two that I considered questionable. Refs gonna ref.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Oh, hold on a second........I think Josh is trying to draw them offside on 4th down again with the hard count.  Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

If this has ever worked one time in the history of the NFL, it's worth doing. Not sure why people hate it

The big mistake was actually snapping the ball at the end of the 3rd

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think they'll play that the same way against an offense they respect; in the past they haven't and I think in the future they won't.

But I do agree that they will look at the film and regret pulling the reins too early and not giving that horse his head a little longer.

I really didn't think the Bills were very conservative at the end of the game. Perhaps a tad bit conservative but nothing extreme. I thought they played pretty smart and made solid decisions. 

The Bucs got some big breaks and bounces. The Bills had some crucial penalties. 

While watching the game, I said to myself Buffalo just don't beat yourselves. Don't give them a turnover. I really felt that was the only way the Bucs had a realistic chance to beat Buffalo. The offense didn't turn over the ball. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I really didn't think the Bills were very conservative at the end of the game. Perhaps a tad bit conservative but nothing extreme. I thought they played pretty smart and made solid decisions. 

While watching the game, I said to myself Buffalo just don't beat yourselves. Don't give them a turnover. I really felt that was the only way the Bucs had a realistic chance to beat Buffalo. The offense didn't turn over the ball. 

Tampa Bay was this close to winning:

13 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

If this has ever worked one time in the history of the NFL, it's worth doing. Not sure why people hate it

That was the stupidest play of the game. You are up 14 knocking on field goal range and the clock is your friend why snap the ball before the quarter ends and effectively extend the game.

At worst you let the quarter run out and just run the ball and tick 40+ seconds off the game. Instead you take a sack and the game is 40 seconds longer

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They punted in their last 4 drives of the game. That’s after holding Tampa to punts as well on drives of 4 plays, 3 plays, 3 plays. Inexcusable. Up 24-10 and your d gets 3 quick stops like that we should have put this game away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Our seats are pretty much at the same depth in the endzone, Bills side, as where Godwin ended up. That ball looked like it was going to land in his lap. Luckily someone was bothering him enough that he didn't get his head around in time to track it. Heck of a throw. 

These last-play games are exhausting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Agreed. Except for the opening drive of the 3d quarter.

I disagree. The Bills played excellent on offense. It was a much different, dynamic, and creative offense. Kincaid, Davis, Shakir, Cook, and the oline were all very good. The rhythm, pace, play calling, and execution was similar to the offenses on the past few years. They looked dangerous. Lastly, the use of Allen's legs was a welcomed addition. Overall, I give the Bills O a solid B+ to an A. Remember, the Bucs are number 1 in the NFL in the red zone. 

On defense, the Bills were solid but had some issues to clean up. Worried that they will get exposed vs the much better offenses and QBs they will be facing. I thought the run defense was solid. Still need help on stopping the screen pass. I thought the Baker was under pressure a lot but the Bills came up a little short on finishing the sack. Overall, I give the defense a B minus. Penalties hurt the team. 

Coaching staff gets a B plus. McD had the team motivated and ready to play. You could see that from the jump. Great game plan by Dorsey to come out with a face paced quick passing game. Great design to get several players involved in the offense. I think this is the first time we've seen such diversity. Diggs was even used in various sets and motion to confuse the D and get himself open. Josh was excellent using his legs and getting the ball out to his hot reads. The Bucs blitzing was pretty ineffective with the exception of the fluke INT. Besides, the Dorsey brain fart on the one yard line he was excellent. 

McD is a very good defensive coach. He mixed up his defenses and disguises. He is way more aggressive than Fraizer. Once concerning is that the key defensive injuries are clearly felt. I'm just afraid it might be a little too much to overcome vs quality offenses. I think one big key will be Von Miller. Right now, he's a work in progress. Hopefully, after the bye or so he starts to be more comfortable and effective. He will elevate everyone's game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That was the stupidest play of the game. You are up 14 knocking on field goal range and the clock is your friend why snap the ball before the quarter ends and effectively extend the game.

At worst you let the quarter run out and just run the ball and tick 40+ seconds off the game. Instead you take a sack and the game is 40 seconds longer

Somethin silly happened there…someone on the bills whether it was morse or josh thought they caught the bucs Offside and that they had a free play 

43 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What? WTH are you talking about? Bass was perfect. All the snaps were perfect. Kick returns were exciting! The punting was fantastic! What the hell game did you watch??

The only negative I could see were the penalties. I will say that Harty looked really fast and explosive on his returns. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I see we are continuing away from facts and instead proving opinions.

If we are trying to force opinions as fact, prove to me McD doesn’t go for it on 4th and short up 14 against the Chiefs in a playoff game?  Because his past has shown he would.  He sat back because he didn’t respect Mayfield.  It worked in the end, it just made the game closer than most wanted

Yes...That. Plus lets freakin' face it.... Those 4th down and drive extending  penalties at the end were a pile of BS. McD even calls them out in his very subtle way in his post game presser, which he almost never does. We and all those around us in the stadium could not believe what was going on out there toward the end! I don't pay attention to spreads very often but what was it for this game? Because that final "TD Drive" for the Bucs was some BS. I try my damnedest to avoid mentioning flags as a reason for a loss, but since this was a win, those refs can suck it! They were awful in the end. Closest I've ever come to thinking a game I witnessed live was officiated in a biased, intentional manner.   

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

it looked as if they jumped so it was a free play that why once Josh was sacked and we lost yardage he was pointed back to the line as it should have been flag on them / free play 

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Our seats are pretty much at the same depth in the endzone, Bills side, as where Godwin ended up. That ball looked like it was going to land in his lap. Luckily someone was bothering him enough that he didn't get his head around in time to track it. Heck of a throw. 

These last-play games are exhausting.

He completely lost the football…timing seemed off on that whole play because baker absolutely moonshotted it lol this being pitched as close to a completion is wild to me.  He was never at any point ready to catch that pass 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 1stgm1993 said:

it looked as if they jumped so it was a free play that why once Josh was sacked and we lost yardage he was pointed back to the line as it should have been flag on them / free play 

Shouldn’t have been trying to draw them off when you are up 14. I get the attempt but don’t extend the game when you are already up.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Shouldn’t have been trying to draw them off when you are up 14. I get the attempt but don’t extend the game when you are already up.

I’ll have to watch again but I got the vibe that the bucs had 12 men or were lined up Offside and we snapped it to catch them…I don’t think it was a hard count or anything 

14 minutes ago, chongli said:

I get it shouldn't have been that close. However, the Bucs got a lot of bounces that went their way. They got a lot penalties that went their way. In the end, the Bills won the game and that's all that really matters. 

I'd rather focus on how the offense played and looked different than the past three games. I'd rather look at how encouraging the offense was due to using Allen's legs and utilizing Kincaid, Shakir, Cook, and Davis. Diggs didn't have to carry the offense. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree. On that play I think Morris thought the guy was offside and hiked the ball.  Allen almost seemed surprised to get it.  But at that point of the game just let the 3rd quarter run out and get the 1st down at the start of the 4th quarter.

But overall there was a lot to like abut the O tonight.  Allen was elite and made great decisions and great throws.  He ran just enough to make TB worry about it and then exploited that with some nifty passes.  The O line was solid and the Bills ran the ball well.  The best part of the night was the fact that 4 different receivers had 5 or more catches for 65 or more yards and 2 TD's.  If this is sustainable the Bills could explode offensively in the coming weeks.

The key now is McD sitting down and deciding what he wants from his O.  IMO he throttled it down to soon.  Once the Bills went up 24 - 10 early in the 3rd the strategy appeared to be don't turn the ball over and win the field position battle. This is classic defensive coach thinking from 10 years ago.  Today it's a recipe for blowing a lead.

Bucs fan that was standing next to me thought he was Offside

Being at the game (my first Bills home game since 1989), the most surprising thing was the amount of mixed Bills/Bucs marriages and relationships that there are. 

31 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I was just coming to say this…I’ve seen walk off wins on plays like that.  Why not try it 

Remember when Josh got that Jets player to dive over the line?

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

They punted in their last 4 drives of the game. That’s after holding Tampa to punts as well on drives of 4 plays, 3 plays, 3 plays. Inexcusable. Up 24-10 and your d gets 3 quick stops like that we should have put this game away. 

I get that and there is definitely truth in what you are saying. However, the Tampa Bay defense is pretty good too. Truthfully, I felt like the number one priority once up 14 points was to not turnover the ball. I never really felt like the Bills were in danger of losing until after they made their 2 points conversion. 

If you analyze the end of the game you can reasonable conclude that the Bucs got very very lucky. The Evans TD bounced off of Bedford's helmet and ditto on the 2pount conversation. The Bills penalities allowed them to stay in the game. If not for inexcusable penalties the game was long over. 

Perhaps these are excuses. Great teams put teams away. Etc ... I get it. The Bills didn't have to be great tonight. They were good enough to get the W after a short week and frankly playing poorly for three games. 

There was a lot to like from this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Just to be clear: in the NFL, the kicker is allowed to take off his helmet and swing it as a weapon, right?

We’ve had calls helping us and hurting us all year and I’d say it’s evened out but tonight felt like the classic ‘organized crime has a huge bet on the bucs to cover’ type game 😂 like just the play you mentioned is an ejection let alone a penalty lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, chongli said:

The Bills won!

3 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Just to be clear: in the NFL, the kicker is allowed to take off his helmet and swing it as a weapon, right?

I re watched the play. It almost looked like the kicker was trying to get himself free and removed his helmet forward and accidentally hit the Bills player. I could be wrong here. Nevertheless, intent shouldn't be an issue. A penalty should have been assessed. I bet he will get fined by the league. 

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Those punts were dumb. 
dominated but couldn’t  close the deal. 
good teams coming !!

Those punts were smart.  We pinned 'em inside the 10 3 times. Game could turned out complete different had we not gotten one of those and given Baker the football in plum position.  We had already failed on 4th down in the 1st half costing us points.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The goal line situation occurred on the 2nd possession. Well before Josh went to the tent.

And it's obviously NOT a good idea because we walked away with no points.

Should have snuck it. Twice if need be.

Shoulda kicked a FG. Take the points.  An extra 3 points in our back pocket in the 2nd 1/2 woulda been nice to have.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. The Bills played excellent on offense. It was a much different, dynamic, and creative offense. Kincaid, Davis, Shakir, Cook, and the oline were all very good. The rhythm, pace, play calling, and execution was similar to the offenses on the past few years. They looked dangerous. Lastly, the use of Allen's legs was a welcomed addition. Overall, I give the Bills O a solid B+ to an A. Remember, the Bucs are number 1 in the NFL in the red zone. 

On defense, the Bills were solid but had some issues to clean up. Worried that they will get exposed vs the much better offenses and QBs they will be facing. I thought the run defense was solid. Still need help on stopping the screen pass. I thought the Baker was under pressure a lot but the Bills came up a little short on finishing the sack. Overall, I give the defense a B minus. Penalties hurt the team. 

Coaching staff gets a B plus. McD had the team motivated and ready to play. You could see that from the jump. Great game plan by Dorsey to come out with a face paced quick passing game. Great design to get several players involved in the offense. I think this is the first time we've seen such diversity. Diggs was even used in various sets and motion to confuse the D and get himself open. Josh was excellent using his legs and getting the ball out to his hot reads. The Bucs blitzing was pretty ineffective with the exception of the fluke INT. Besides, the Dorsey brain fart on the one yard line he was excellent. 

McD is a very good defensive coach. He mixed up his defenses and disguises. He is way more aggressive than Fraizer. Once concerning is that the key defensive injuries are clearly felt. I'm just afraid it might be a little too much to overcome vs quality offenses. I think one big key will be Von Miller. Right now, he's a work in progress. Hopefully, after the bye or so he starts to be more comfortable and effective. He will elevate everyone's game. 

Your write up is a good one. I was referring to the Os performance in the 2d half. After the 3d quarter's opening drive it did not look sharp. They had some 3 & outs between then & the Bucs ' time consuming drive to score their td.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I get it shouldn't have been that close. However, the Bucs got a lot of bounces that went their way. They got a lot penalties that went their way. In the end, the Bills won the game and that's all that really matters. 

I'd rather focus on how the offense played and looked different than the past three games. I'd rather look at how encouraging the offense was due to using Allen's legs and utilizing Kincaid, Shakir, Cook, and Davis. Diggs didn't have to carry the offense. 

I agree, bro.

I rewatched some of the game with my son. There were literally like 6-7 things that happened in those final two drives where if one of those things went the Bills way, the outcome would’ve looked differently.

I was encouraged by the offense as well. They looked really good and played with a great pace. They can continue to build on this moving forward.

The boxscore doesn’t reveal how good we played. If one of those six or seven things go our way (which most times at least one of them would have), the end of the game would’ve revealed what really happened which is that we outplayed them by a pretty good amount.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

EJ Manuel was very successful at it for some reason.

I’ll take the W even though it left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Great to see old Josh back, the offense looking viable, and Shakir/Kincaid/Davis showing up.

I have huge issues with the mental coaching errors that almost cost us the game:

1) 3rd and goal shotgun run from the goal line

2) Rushing that 2nd and 1 play at the end of the 3rd, hoping for a penalty and taking a sack

3) McDouche taking yet another useless and hurtful defensive timeout (that play was going to be blown up)

Get any of these easy coaching decisions correct and the game doesn’t come down to a Hail Mary that they should have caught because it was defended so horribly

WE ARE ON TO CINCINNATI

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Who hacked your account?

• Haha (+1) 5

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agreed - i rewatched the second half this morning.  To his credit Mayfield barely avoided multiple sacks, their punt returner muffs a punt but it bounced right back, penalties on non-converted 4ths, a TD catch bounced off the defender’s helmet, a 2pt conversion was tipped and caught…. Everything went TB’s way and it was still comfortable for the vast majority. 

We ALMOST dominated them.  Imagine if we had lined up under center and snow plowed our way to a TD when it was 3rd and goal on the 1 early instead of lining up in the shot gun and getting denied on 2 plays in a row.  Imagine if mayfield’s knee dropped 2 inches on that near safety. They seemed to get some swagger back this week.  Hopefully they find the way to make these ALMOST opportunities in to conversions moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.