Should the Bills go no-huddle Thursday?

theRalph

It's a short week with less game planning. There were subtle hints during the Allen and Diggs pressers Tuesday. The Bills need a spark.

I am predicting we see the Bills offense go no-huddle for significant portions of the game Thursday, and beyond.

The K-Gun was unveiled 33 years ago. It may be time for Allen's version. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, theRalph said:

It's a short week with less game planning. There were subtle hints during the Allen and Diggs pressers Tuesday. The Bills need a spark.

I am predicting we see the Bills offense go no-huddle for significant portions of the game Thursday, and beyond.

The Bills offense has looked a lot better in the 2nd half the last few games with an uptempo approach. Maybe this’ll give them the spark they need.

This would also help JA read coverages better. Diggs mentioned the need for JA to have more time to assess the defense by already being lined up in his presser.

Should we call it the A-Gun?

Or, I guess since it was named after Keith McKellar, our TE at the time, we should call it the D-Gun after Dawson/Dalton.

Edited by BillsFan619

• Simon changed the title to Should the Bills go no-huddle Thursday?
13 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Should we call it the A-Gun?

Or, I guess since it was named after Keith McKellar, our TE at the time, we should call it the D-Gun after Dawson/Dalton.

In all seriousness, the Bills offense has looked a lot better in the 2nd half the last few games with an uptempo approach. Maybe this’ll give them the spark they need.

This would also help JA read coverages better. Diggs mentioned the need for JA to have more time to assess the defense by already being lined up in his presser. 

The D-K Gun

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Wouldn't mind it but would MUCH rather not see it come out till a successful scripted first drive gives us a lead. Just don't want to bust it out too early and dig our D into a hole. If it looks unstoppable, we can take it out earlier following games 

It’s not gonna be unstoppable, it might work at times, but we don’t have Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Thurman, and  McKeller/Metzellars.   Only Diggs is that circle.  

There can be difference between a "no huddle" and "up tempo". 

I've never been a fan of a true fast pace 2 minute style no huddle except at the end of half or game. When it works it can be nice and confuse a defense. Wear them down. When you have a few drives in a row when you don't move the ball it really leaves your defense in a bad spot. And right now we don't have the depth pieces to absorb that.

I like a more fast paced tempo where plays are called at the line; not a huddle. Much like Peyton Manning used to do. Difference being instead of rushing the snap...still take your time at the line. Lets the QB see what the defense is doing and still doesn't allow for them to sub in...and if they do you can often quick snap and catch with too many men on the field. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Complete no huddle? No , uptempo at times? Hell yes I've been screaming it for 4 games now. Mix it up. Between drives, during drives.  Mini huddle at times. It's part of an aggressive mind set. We look like we are always trying to adjust to the D rather than having the D try to adjust to us. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Yes.  Speeding up three and outs so our depleted defense can get more practice  at trying to stop the opponent is a good thing.

yeah that's the conundrum here. They can't score in the 1st half, so they speed it up late in the game, but by then it's too late.  If they start with the no-huddle or hurry up, im not sure results will be different, 3 and out but faster

at the end of the day the play calling sucks and the execution sucks.  The players are going through the motions, the coach is clapping, and the process is the punishment

16 hours ago, theRalph said:

Yes.3 wide, 1 TE and just let it rip

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Yes.  Speeding up three and outs so our depleted defense can get more practice  at trying to stop the opponent is a good thing.

That's my issue with it too. Our offense needs long sustained drives. I suppose that could be done with a no-huddle offense, assuming it's not a "hurry-up" offense. No huddle, Josh takes his time reading the defense, and we run a mix of running plays and high-percentage short passes, including a lot of play-action and the occasional screen pass.

Seems like for the past 20 years, our defense gets burned on screen passes while our offense can't even put one together. How many OCs do we have to go through before we find one who can design an effective screen pass?

They should do anything and everything they can tonight to win this game.   IMO this is a must win.

They have to get this win and then regroup.  The players need this weekend off to clear their heads and the front office needs to go get them help....hopefully in the middle of the defense.

I am really nervous about this game tonight.  

This post has aged well.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:29 AM, dorquemada said:

Is Dorkey capable of getting a play called in less than 30 seconds?  Can Allen fit several plays in his head?  Can the Bills huddle for less time that it took me to write my Master's Thesis  (several years btw)?

Apparently so...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.