Diggs interview eludes to issue...

Hebert19

On 10/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, Hebert19 said:

He went on about hurry up and what that does.  But it's the detail he goes into that's telling.  

He said hurry up allows josh to see what's there and adjust.  Recognize and change.   Eluding to we are operating too slow.  Or play is getting in too slow.  

We have been working down to single digits way more than in Josh's career on play clock.   

This gives the defense time to adjust to personnel but not us to adjust at the line.  May explain josh missing easy reads.  

Could dorsey be in his ear until 15 seconds like mcvay?   

Listen to interview.  This is what it sounds like diggs was getting at.  He needs more time at the line and less in huddle. 

The offense certainly has issues, but Diggs is most likely going to have the best statistical season of his career. He might get over 130 receptions this year. 

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah they can but I think they are liking their individual play success.    Their EPA per play is very high........the situational plays are working in part because of the players they've brought in........when players aren't making mistakes, that is.   But even when things like James Cooks converting 4 straight second down runs into 1st downs works as planned it's really shortening games which is counterproductive for them as the more explosive offense.

Personally, I think it's more about play selection (1st down execution) than substitutions.  

We subsituted/had alot of personnel groupings LY too.

For reference on 1st down:

1. 2022 : ran the ball 46% of time, for 5.5 YPA

2. 2023: running 47% of time, for 3.5 yards per attempt

2 less yards per carry is very significant on 1st down, especially when we're deploying more 12 personnel this year (you'd think we could run the ball with more success).

That to me, in a nutshell, has been the problem (too much 12 personnel and not enough run game execution).  

We're also getting sacked much more frequently on 2nd down, TY vs LY, causing worse 3rd and long situations: 4.8% vs 2.4%.

So less effective running on 1st down, sacked more and less efficient on 2nd downs.  Less 12 personnel and more 11 should help IMO...nobody is respecting our run game

29 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Careful, next they'll tell you "its bc Daboll has Jones and not Allen. But Dorsey's offense is only at all decent bc of Allen" 

I have zero doubt we would be talking about firing Daboll if he had stuck around. In fact I know for sure because for some reason no one remembers the 6-9 loss to the Jaguars, 41-15 loss to the colts, 3 point half against the bucs, and someone flat game against Atlanta in 2021 in which people wanted Daboll gone.

Not to mention the Titans and Chiefs losses and 6 field goal game against the Jets in 2020. No one was saying FIRE DABOLL! No not at all 😂

The grass is always greener with what we don't have with this fanbase.

And utopia is always just a season away.

Free beer tomorrow!

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Im with Wayne on this. You have a 6 year veteran superstar QB who’s not executing the most basic of reads. What can Dorsey do to compensate for that? Call a high percentage of rushes and screen passes? What eventually happens to offensive coordinators who are forced to work with a subpar QB? Allen isn’t subpar, but he’s playing that way at times. Forget about what the money affords him, this is more on him to execute what’s there than it is for Dorsey to cater to a QB who’s not seeing the field well. In the case of the latter, those QBs are usually replaced by those who can. Josh simply needs to play better, but he’s not alone. Everyone needs to elevate their game.

Yeah it's a shame that Allen doesn't appear to be better prepared but the offseason is over and this is what he is right now.   Not sure he can make vast improvements in-season just because people want him to.   So to Diggs point........let him do what he's most comfortable with because that would be in the best interest of the team.   Also gets the "fire Dorsey" crowed off his back when Josh isn't blowing protection calls or directing run plays the wrong way etc..

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's a shame that Allen doesn't appear to be better prepared but the offseason is over and this is what he is right now.   Not sure he can make vast improvements in-season just because people want him to.   So to Diggs point........let him do what he's most comfortable with because that would be in the best interest of the team.   Also gets the "fire Dorsey" crowed off his back when Josh isn't blowing protection calls or directing run plays the wrong way etc..

I thought your other post was akin to “Kyler Murray makes X amount of dollars. If he wants to play video games rather than study film, let him play his games. It’s on the offensive coordinator to adjust to Kyler.” 😅 

I see what you mean by letting Allen play how he wants to play though, even if that means designed rushes. I’d rather hand the ball off to a RB than have Allen running by design and taking hits, but we’re just about at the point of “however we can get it done, do it.” He still needs to get better in season with his prep though. I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he meets with Dorsey and Joe Brady to review game film. If we can all see 4 Pats defenders on the left side of the line against only 2 blockers, Allen has to see the same, right? So why run the toss sweep? To me that was more egregious than not recognizing receivers that popped open in the endzone. I want to hear his explanations and what the coaches are telling him. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Im with Wayne on this. You have a 6 year veteran superstar QB who’s not executing the most basic of reads. What can Dorsey do to compensate for that? Call a high percentage of rushes and screen passes? What eventually happens to offensive coordinators who are forced to work with a subpar QB? Allen isn’t subpar, but he’s playing that way at times. Forget about what the money affords him, this is more on him to execute what’s there than it is for Dorsey to cater to a QB who’s not seeing the field well. In the case of the latter, those QBs are usually replaced by those who can. Josh simply needs to play better, but he’s not alone. Everyone needs to elevate their game.

He can get the plays in a little sooner to actually give his qb a chance to read the defense lol…you just can’t have plays coming in at the very end of the communication period…it puts you at a massive disadvantage. Substitutions are late,  you can’t really vary the snap count much, qb gets less time to audible/diagnose presnap reads. 

I’ve been back and forth on Dorsey…when you watch the film there’s usually counters to whatever the defense is doing on any given play, I just don’t know how realistic it is that the qb can diagnose that quickly when they’re getting to the line with the playclock winding down every snap.  

Seems like when josh goes no huddle everything looks a lot more streamlined

idk that Dorsey is calling a bad game necessarily but he’s gotta get those plays in faster. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

On 10/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, Hebert19 said:

He went on about hurry up and what that does.  But it's the detail he goes into that's telling.  

He said hurry up allows josh to see what's there and adjust.  Recognize and change.   Eluding to we are operating too slow.  Or play is getting in too slow.  

We have been working down to single digits way more than in Josh's career on play clock.   

This gives the defense time to adjust to personnel but not us to adjust at the line.  May explain josh missing easy reads.  

Listen to interview.  This is what it sounds like diggs was getting at.  He needs more time at the line and less in huddle. 

If I remember correctly, The KGun had only 13-15 pass plays and 8-10 run plays based on the opponent from game film.

When Jim got to the LOS he had enough time to audible to another of those plays, or adjust a receiver route or 2.  

I say we need to do that with josh, and go no huddle 

• Like (+1) 1

I concur with this assessment.  Side note the word is alluding, FYI.   Nuns teaching grammar have made me very aware of the difference between the two words.  😉

• Haha (+1) 2

That could also be implying that Josh is better than Dorsey and figuring out which play to call, against a particular defensive look.  Not just that the play calling is slow. 

The problem with the playcalling is that there are too many instances of poor playcalls killing drives.  The Bills offense can impose its will unless it gets in its own way, and things like shotgun runs on short yardage situations allows 2nd and 2 to turn into 3rd and 6. That kills momentum and creates a higher pressure down and distance.  We saw it in the Bucs game yet again and bc of it an easy win turned into a lucky to hold on win.  

These sequences where the offense stalls and the defense can’t get off the field are what has been the hallmark of the games since ripping the Dolphins.  So sure Dorsey deserves some blame, but the blame can be spread around.  Between the pass rush suddenly becoming impotent and Dotson being a moving pylon, the D is giving the offense less opportunities and putting more pressure on them to sustain drives and score. I think the offensive shift has been in an attempt to protect the D by playing more methodically and it just is forcing things.

They won for chrissakes. Against a team only a couple of years removed from a SB win. Dorsey wasn't a genius, but i felt he called a decent game and had some long sustaining drives to eat up clock. My only complaint is James Cook not being utilized more. He's on a rookie contract too so we need to get the most out of him. I also want to see Cook out there running more routes too, he is an underrated pass catcher.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:35 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

That is what you took from that??? Really????

• Dislike 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:45 PM, Dr.Sack said:

We’ve scored 80+ points in the 4th Qtr. Just run the 4th Qtr offense all game.

I think the best thing we can do is rest some of the starters until the 4th. They'll be fresh when the 4th quarter comes and can maybe score more.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes,  the implication was obvious..........and then Dorsey promptly called the game the way Diggs suggested.........making the game much less complicated for Allen.

You mean the way the fans suggested -- which was obvious. And it says an awful lot about dorsey it took that long for him, as a professional, to realize what fans could see clear as day.

Making it an indictment on allen is happening only in your head.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

You mean the way the fans suggested -- which was obvious. And it says an awful lot about dorsey it took that long for him, as a professional, to realize what fans could see clear as day.

Making it an indictment on allen is happening only in your head.

Be honest now..........were you avoiding all Bills media last week because the team lost?    Just now catching up?  

Because your last statement is downright idiotic.  

Allen was roundly criticized for his mental mistakes in the Patriots game.

They dumbed the Tampa Bay gameplan down for him this week.    That's what playing uptempo and no-huddle does.   It prevents the defense from substituting.    Getting to the LOS with 22-23 seconds on the play clock allows the OC to be in the QB headset telling the QB what HE is seeing from above the defense until the 15 second mark when it shuts off..........or getting time to the line that early buys time for the QB to use motion multiple times to identify what the defense is trying to do.  

It's not an endorsement of Allen's mental preparedness. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:24 PM, Mister Defense said:

Yup, but the clear problem now is that the problems are comprehensive.

We, as fans, have been pointing to one clear and obvious problem after another.

But that just scratches the surface of the problems, as there are all of the OTHER details that are faulty too, the things that are much harder for us to see as fans.

This is why, despite conventional wisdom, I think that McDermott may do the unexpected and make the obviously needed change well before the season ends.  It isn't just the big obvious things that are broken, it is the little, vital details too.

You’re giving “we fans” too much credit for knowing more than the staff. Guess what? “we fans” don’t. You included. 

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Be honest now..........were you avoiding all Bills media last week because the team lost?    Just now catching up?  

Because your last statement is downright idiotic.  

Allen was roundly criticized for his mental mistakes in the Patriots game.

They dumbed the Tampa Bay gameplan down for him this week.    That's what playing up tempo and no-huddle does.   It prevents the defense from substituting.    Getting to the LOS with 22-23 seconds on the play clock allows the OC to be in the QB headset telling the QB what HE is seeing from above the defense until the 15 second mark when it shuts off..........or getting time to the line that early buys time for the QB to use motion multiple times to identify what the defense is trying to do.  

It's not an endorsement of Allen's mental preparedness. 

I find your statements to be quite idiotic myself. Josh Allen is one of the best football players in the world. That statement really isn't up for debate. I had a longer post typed out but I figure I'll just cut it short and end it here. I have a sneaking suspicion you are someone who does not agree with the bolded statement which is in fact a simple statement of reality. No point in continuing further=P

• Agree 1

On 10/29/2023 at 12:51 AM, buffaloboyinATL said:

That could also be implying that Josh is better than Dorsey and figuring out which play to call, against a particular defensive look.  Not just that the play calling is slow. 

I get the impression that Dorsey has to be the smartest man in the room.

On 10/29/2023 at 6:43 PM, Dopey said:

You’re giving “we fans” too much credit for knowing more than the staff. Guess what? “we fans” don’t. You included. 

We have eyes, we can see--and one NFL analyst after another has been calling out the scheme the last few weeks.  M  Rob clearly implied that the Bills should drop Dorsey after the season ends and he is not a blowhard who rips into coaches.

On 10/24/2023 at 8:48 PM, BillsfaninCT said:

JA17 quoting my therapist, I'm sure many others who carry burdens, are extremely successful at something even if it's not being a bagillionaire qb but also super low of low, have heard this as well.  this could take a minute for him to figure out, I had therapy for 3 months after breaking and it's not freaking easy.  I'm no JA17 and a peon in comparison but in the little world i exist in it looks very similar and he's acting the same way...

he will be better for it overall and i'm glad regardless if it matters that i care at all, that he got some help and i hope everyone here is glad he is getting help but i'm not sure it's understandable unless you know somebody personally or been through it.

he has to figure this out for himself, it's good to have great people around you but ultimately it's his head, and only he can overcome it.

What in the world are you talking about?

On 10/30/2023 at 10:53 AM, BillsFan692 said:

I find your statements to be quite idiotic myself. Josh Allen is one of the best football players in the world. That statement really isn't up for debate. I had a longer post typed out but I figure I'll just cut it short and end it here. I have a sneaking suspicion you are someone who does not agree with the bolded statement which is in fact a simple statement of reality. No point in continuing further=P

Smart move. Quit while you're behind.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.