Diggs interview eludes to issue...

Hebert19

He went on about hurry up and what that does.  But it's the detail he goes into that's telling.  

He said hurry up allows josh to see what's there and adjust.  Recognize and change.   Eluding to we are operating too slow.  Or play is getting in too slow.  

We have been working down to single digits way more than in Josh's career on play clock.   

This gives the defense time to adjust to personnel but not us to adjust at the line.  May explain josh missing easy reads.  

Could dorsey be in his ear until 15 seconds like mcvay?   

Listen to interview.  This is what it sounds like diggs was getting at.  He needs more time at the line and less in huddle. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He went on about hurry up and what that does.  But it's the detail he goes into that's telling.  

He said hurry up allows josh to see what's there and adjust.  Recognize and change.   Eluding to we are operating too slow.  Or play is getting in too slow.  

We have been working down to single digits way more than in Josh's career on play clock.   

This gives the defense time to adjust to personnel but not us to adjust at the line.  May explain josh missing easy reads.  

Listen to interview.  This is what it sounds like diggs was getting at.  He needs more time at the line and less in huddle. 

The last TD I swear Josh didn’t get the play he did the “I didn’t hear the play” gesture with his helmet.  

• Like (+1) 3

This is what I mean about collaboration. If Dorsey is a d#ck he is not listing or seeing Diggs Josh verbal, non verbal input. Then entire team is screwed. 

you don’t think Diggs knows ways to exploit a D after 2 series?

I’ve lost all patience with McDorsey

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yup, but the clear problem now is that the problems are comprehensive.

We, as fans, have been pointing to one clear and obvious problem after another.

But that just scratches the surface of the problems, as there are all of the OTHER details that are faulty too, the things that are much harder for us to see as fans.

This is why, despite conventional wisdom, I think that McDermott may do the unexpected and make the obviously needed change well before the season ends.  It isn't just the big obvious things that are broken, it is the little, vital details too.

3 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

This is what I mean about collaboration. If Dorsey is a d#ck he is not listing or seeing Diggs Josh verbal, non verbal input. Then entire team is screwed. 

you don’t think Diggs knows ways to exploit a D after a quarter????

Ken Dorsey doesn’t answer to Diggs and Allen. They can’t fire him. The man he answers to is a control freak.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Ken Dorsey doesn’t answer to Diggs and Allen. They can’t fire him. The man he answers to is a control freak.

Josh and Diggs can make it happen if they are pushed too far. Josh is the good cop, Diggs the bad cop. Make no mistake. McDorsey is toast if the two boys sit. Franchise risk if the good cop is pushed over the top 

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

This is why, despite conventional wisdom, I think that McDermott may do the unexpected and make the obviously needed change well before the season ends. 

That's a little alarming.  Brady would take over.  His track record in the two years that he was the OC in Carolina is low-end.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

8ea4715aaa878adb70df3c95611631a5--prince

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 26
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Just now, PBF81 said:

That's a little alarming.  Brady would take over.  His track record in the two years that he was the OC in Carolina is low-end.  

I know, but this ship is sinking fast, so they may feel the need to take a chance.

I read somewhere there are 4 former coordinators on the team.  Brady, Shula?, who else??  Maybe that meant DCs and OCs?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, while I don't want to go back to a full blown hurry up offense, playing with more tempo could help this offense.  Get to the line, identify the personnel on the field, and have more time to identify what the defense is trying to do.  It also keeps the guys on offense more focused and on their toes.  Sometimes, if you are taking too much time in between plays, you can start dragging a bit....get into some lulls.  Just playing with some sense of urgency might help keep guys focused and into a rhythm.  Who knows.....maybe it won't work, but it can't get worse than the last few weeks without scoring in the first half.  I wanted them to go to a more of an up tempo offense in the 2nd halves the last few weeks to try and jump start things, but they haven't.  It's worth trying.

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

This isn’t a company org as we know them. $258M man has a monster say. Steve Austin was only $6M man.

We might not like it (see latest OC hire;) but let there be no doubt Diggs/Allen have veto power

• Haha (+1) 1

JA17 quoting my therapist, I'm sure many others who carry burdens, are extremely successful at something even if it's not being a bagillionaire qb but also super low of low, have heard this as well.  this could take a minute for him to figure out, I had therapy for 3 months after breaking and it's not freaking easy.  I'm no JA17 and a peon in comparison but in the little world i exist in it looks very similar and he's acting the same way...

he will be better for it overall and i'm glad regardless if it matters that i care at all, that he got some help and i hope everyone here is glad he is getting help but i'm not sure it's understandable unless you know somebody personally or been through it.

he has to figure this out for himself, it's good to have great people around you but ultimately it's his head, and only he can overcome it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I'm at a point where I believe the Bills live and die by Allen so they might as well let him start calling plays. I think the Bills only hope to salvage the season is to go up tempo and just try and outscore every team.

They should've done this a long time ago. Up tempo, read the D and have 2 plays to call out of.

• Eyeroll 1

59 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

you don’t think Diggs knows ways to exploit a D after 2 series?

I’ve lost all patience with McDorsey

This only makes any sense if you ignore everything else. 

Dorsey has been Allen’s QB coach since 2019. Allen also hand picked Dorsey to be his OC. The same way Allen has picked his own back QB’s, and the way we gave his college roommate a job on the practice squad. Hell, the new stadium will be the house that Allen built. When Josh talks the franchise listens. 

Maybe your train of thought makes sense to some. But a lot of these traits on offense have been pestering me for a few seasons going back to 2019. I’ve pounded the table that these are things he’ll have to get better at or it will affect his longevity in the league and the long term success of the franchise.

Always tossing the big play any distance and any down, not seeing open receivers, being late to throw, these are all things that have been brought up under Daboll too. But players can’t complete low percentage plays for eternity, especially at QB. 

I guess it’s my perception that Daboll had better XYZ over McD and Dorsey (plans, influence, counterweight, spirit, ideas). Daboll probably told McClappy to go pound salt or told Josh to wake up at diff times. I just have a bad feeling now about McDorsey combo being ineffective for many behavioral reasons. 

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

I didn’t draw any of these conclusions from his interview. Just that I still love this guy and am glad they traded for him. He’s awesome. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yeah.

As I've said...........this offseason Beane addressed some specific areas where they were inefficient offensively in 2022 with role players designed to fix those situational weaknesses.........for example, Harris and Murray are both incredibly efficient at scoring from inside the 3 and the Bills struggled running near the goal line so the Bills wanted those specific players.

And they also drafted a TE in round 1 and have gone from very rarely using 12 personnel in 2022 to using it frequently.  

What this means?   They are substituting a lot.

Which allows the defense time to substitute and matchup to the Bills personnel and execute the game plan they drew up..........and then it also takes plays much deeper into the play clock and makes them a much more deliberate, time consuming offense.

It has had the seemingly unforeseen effect of leading to the Bills having longer drives but less of them.   Therefore less scoring chances.........which benefits lesser opponents like the Giants and Patriots.

The simplest solution for the Bills was to build an offense that had 11 players they could keep on the field for 8-10 straight plays if need be.........play uptempo and limit defensive substitutions and keep opponents on their heels.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

I know, but this ship is sinking fast, so they may feel the need to take a chance.

I read somewhere there are 4 former coordinators on the team.  Brady, Shula?, who else??  Maybe that meant DCs and OCs?

Yeah, but I'm not sure a complete newbie like Brady is it.  

Shula (offense) and Washington & Holcomb (defense) were.  They're all Carolina products.  There's a reason why they're here in secondary and support roles.  

The way things appear to be shaping up if this is all true, then it sounds as if the every man for himself warning is about to go off.  

As bad as things are, relatively speaking, I don't think that firing Dorsey at this point will help.  And honestly, if that's going to happen and things get worse, Pegula has no choice but to clean house on the coaching staff side.  

I know a bunch of us have seen enough of Carolina's former coaching staff.  Most of them shouldn't even be here to begin with.  It's ridiculous to consider that they, of all possibilities, were the best people for their roles.  Perhaps that's the problem, which it is.  But then McD's the one that put that ragtag collection of the unaccomplished together.  

This thing gets worse with each passing day.  SMH  

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I hear you, but he had Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold as QBs and very little offensive talent with which to work.

LOL, sure, but that's hardly an endorsement either.  

At the rate things are going the word disarray comes to mind.  

Two points:

1. You can't just decide to go up tempo for the whole game unless you game planned it and your O players are conditioned to do it.  If you try quickly to sub in personnel packages the D gets to sub also.

2. When you go uptempo the D tends to play a base D because it cannot sub in personnel.  That probably simplifies Josh's reads.

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The simplest solution for the Bills was to build an offense that had 11 players they could keep on the field for 8-10 straight plays if need be.........play uptempo and limit defensive substitutions and keep opponents on their heels.   

They can still do this with just about any set they want, and I agree they probably should be.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Two points:

1. You can't just decide to go up tempo for the whole game unless you game planned it and your O players are conditioned to do it.  If you try quickly to sub in personnel packages the D gets to sub also.

2. When you go uptempo the D tends to play a base D because it cannot sub in personnel.  That probably simplifies Josh's reads.

Doesn't have to he up tempo entire game.  It needs more urgency.  They have said that in past interviews too.  

Get the play on quick and make the moves from there. Don't over think. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Lol but the twitter experts said I was wrong when I said the offense runs more efficiently with Josh running no huddle. Diggs confirmed what is obvious, with more detailed explanation too. Go Bills!

I've said it in the past. Josh seems to play better when he is at the line with 18 seconds or more. Allows him to time to see the D better.  He seems more in control of the O when this happens. Also, when your at 10 or less, the D knows it's getting snapped quickly. No time for Josh or Morse to adjust if needed. Allows the D to T off.

I also think Josh is a little better playing it more backyard or offscript. Dorsey’s play calling may be long or too structured. Plus he seems like a control freak. You can't control Josh or Diggs, you gotta just let them be themselves and let them play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.