Defense should be embarrassed…

LabattBlue

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I am not. But hey your fancy stats make you happy with this production. 

IMG_9592.png

Okay but you have to compare it to the league as a whole, and games don't end at halftime. Offense across the league has come down a lot this year. We've come back around in the NFL cycle, defenses have figured out how to stop the modern offenses. Compared to the rest of the league our offense has NOT been the biggest problem over the last three weeks. Our defense has been abysmal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Okay but you have to compare it to the league as a whole, and games don't end at halftime. Offense across the league has come down a lot this year. We've come back around in the NFL cycle, defenses have figured out how to stop the modern offenses. Compared to the rest of the league our offense has NOT been the biggest problem over the last three weeks. Our defense has been abysmal.

I don’t have to compare *****. You love this offense it can do no wrong because the fancy stats are heavily weighted on the Good. 

IMG_9592.png

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Don't think anyone is saying there's not an issue on offense.  There certainly  is.  But to absolve the defense, and special teams for that matter, of any role whatsoever in contributing to the outcome is just silly, imho.

ST has been an issue for quite some time now.  GW PR in Week 1, another long return yesterday, and let's not forget the long PR in the Miami WC game last year.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry if it's been stated ad nauseum up thread. 

Why does this keep happening to us, why do games end like this. We are the wrong end of a highlight reel compilation documenting the most unbelievable collapses in NFL and sporting history.

From the team that brought you Hail Murray... Introducing: 13 seconds! Nothing will prepare you for the end of Vikings @ Bills 2022! How about Mac "MJ10" Jones and a Patriots offense averaging 12 points/game marching down field to score a touchdown with less than two minutes left?

Hey, this is all regular season, all good. But wait, as an encore, in elimination games, we have the "not in the same tier as the other team" letdown.

Maybe that noise in the offseason about players not trusting the process as much had some measure of truth. This is mind numbing as a fan, just as the Bills became a good, potentially elite team, we remind the sporting world that no one loses in outrageous fashion like those Buffalo Bills.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We've lost the best player on 3 levels of our Defense - Matt Milano at LB, Tre White at CB, and Daquan Jones at Interior D-Line. Not to mention we didn't have Ed Oliver today.

Not to say that today or the last few weeks have been acceptable. But when you're starting guys like Tim Settle, Dane Jackson, and Dorian Williams in their stead - that's a massive dropoff.

This is not the same Defense that we saw the first few weeks.

The Pats could say the same thing about their D. They were missing their top 2 pass rushers in Judon and Uche, had their top 2 corners out as well in Gonzalez and Jonathan Jones.  If both D’s are healthy it’s a much lower scoring game and probably a lot more turnovers on both sides. 

On 10/22/2023 at 5:42 PM, whorlnut said:

I mean, they did score 25. That should be enough against one of the worst offenses in the league. 

The defense is missing its top 3 players at all different levels of the field for the year as well as other key players temporarily. They get some grace from me, especially when the offense gives the other teams short fields. The offense is completely healthy and looks like they've never played together despite being on Year 4 of continuity.

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Defense was excellent until the injuries.

beane brought all the same guys back (almost) which looked great but they have been injury prone and the same guys are injured again. He needed to bring in similar players with the same skill set.

All old guys. And a ton of middling journeyman on 1 year min $ contracts. Really bad luck w Von hurt in lions game. But he’s to faithful to mediocre players

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

The defense is missing its top 3 players at all different levels of the field for the year as well as other key players temporarily. They get some grace from me, especially when the offense gives the other teams short fields. The offense is completely healthy and looks like they've never played together despite being on Year 4 of continuity.

Our backups should be able to keep one of the worst offenses in football under 25. Sorry…I’m not agreeing with you at all. The pats were in the red zone 5 times all season before yesterday and got there 5 times against us alone. Not good enough. 

Finally a thread I can agree with. It's on the D. 

The O scored 22 points in the second half.

If the D didn't implode on that final Patriots drive, the Bills would be 5-2 today and we wouldn't be wading through this sea of negativity from fickle Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Again, offense has not really been the problem. Streakier than you'd like but on the whole it is still a top 5 offense. Defense is now bottom 5. For our offense to become good enough to make up for that they would have to be a historically amazing offense, and we just don't have the personnel for that.

Just sucks that after all the investment on defense this is the efficiency we're left with. I know the injuries are what they are but a lot of free agency dollars, draft picks, and coaching decisions have been spent on underperforming players. Meanwhile the offense needs to pick up the slack but hasn't had enough investment at key areas to do that.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Again, offense has not really been the problem. Streakier than you'd like but on the whole it is still a top 5 offense. Defense is now bottom 5. For our offense to become good enough to make up for that they would have to be a historically amazing offense, and we just don't have the personnel for that.

Just sucks that after all the investment on defense this is the efficiency we're left with. I know the injuries are what they are but a lot of free agency dollars, draft picks, and coaching decisions have been spent on underperformed players. Meanwhile the offense needs to pick up the slack but hasn't had enough investment at key areas to do that.

this concurs w EPA fwiw

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Just sucks that after all the investment on defense this is the efficiency we're left with. I know the injuries are what they are but a lot of free agency dollars, draft picks, and coaching decisions have been spent on underperformed players. Meanwhile the offense needs to pick up the slack but hasn't had enough investment at key areas to do that.

How I see it as well! Although maybe I'm dumb, I still hope they pull something amazing before the deadline.

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

How I see it as well! Although maybe I'm dumb, I still hope they pull something amazing before the deadline.

I would just go all in on offense at this point, make a trade for a WR at the deadline. The defense can get better as the injured players recover, the young players get experience, and McDermott stops blitzing like a maniac. The offense on the other hand really has no route to improve without adding to the WR room.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.