Defensive Tackle 1T

SCBills

Listened to Joe B’s podcast where he discusses the drive NYG had where they ran it down our throats and caused us to pull Poona Ford. 

The cascading affect of how it forced Ed Oliver to play a ton of snaps. 

The further cascading affect of how it puts more pressure of two undersized linebackers who are meant to fly around, not fight through the wash.   

Im fine with Dorian Williams learning on the job at LB.   If Jackson, Benford & Elam is what we have to roll with for the season.. I’m reluctantly ok with that as well.  

I think 1T could be the position that not just hurts itself in a vacuum, but further compromises other parts of the defense.  

If we’re being honest, that might be my top trade deadline target.   It would be a shame to have one positional injury become one that affects multiple others on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 5

Given that Poona Ford didn't look all that great I have to think that the Bills will likely use Settle as the 1T with Ed splitting time there along with Ford taking rotational snaps and Phillips taking 3 tech rotational snaps. I think the biggest acquisitions the Bills will make at the trade deadline will be for a 1T DT and possibly corner depth. I say corner because Dane's injury is not one that goes away with a few weeks rest. So getting a respectable corner to add to the depth chart is doable and fills a need to get someone reliable behind Dane as he manages that injury all year. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

By not finding someone to step in for Jones not named Oliver. 

when Jones went down it hurts both Days because now Oliver playing a position he isn’t good at. And the guy coming in for Oliver isn’t as good as a 3T as Oliver. 

Ed actually played 0 tech 1T at Houston and well

He's actually not a bad 1T... The problem... Is you're taking a pro bowl caliber 3T, and plugging him into a dirty technique, that wears him out 

And the person that's replacing him at the 3 is not as good as him 

It's Eds body breaking down at the one technique That really sucks ... Not his actual play 

Him playing that technique for a majority of the season will beat him up and render him less effective ... Maybe injured 

But he actually takes on double teams effectively and I've seen him take on a triple team and beat it... Because he is so strong in his lower body 

He probably is the next best one technique on roster... But thats a problem ... I don't understand why McDermott hasn't gone out of his way to get more 1T

He gets tweeners like settle who were better at the 3 than 1

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The loss of Daquan Jones has been massively underrated and understated.

As @drummernut74 said, 1T has HUGE importance to a McDermott defense. Our defense was COMPLETELY different without Jones in the lineup against the Bengals in the playoffs last year, and we saw it again last night (though obviously the Giants, unlike the Bengals, didn't have the offensive firepower to capitalize).

People sort of rolled their eyes the other day when it was suggested that the Bills look around the league to acquire a 1T via trade, saying that we should be just fine with the depth we have at the position. The problem is that the depth we have isn't particularly GOOD at 1T. Poona Ford has looked like a shell of himself. Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips are both subpar 1Ts. I maintain that a guy like Harrison Phillips, while not perfect, would represent a substantial upgrade. The Bills absolutely should be poking around to see if any decent bodies are available at the position from other teams.

I think Dorian Williams is going to wind up being just fine at WILL. He's not Milano -- no one is. But he shows promise. Ditto our trio of corners replacing White -- not so bad. Survivable. But the loss of Jones is roughhh, and I think we're going to continue to see that unless the Bills address the position with outside candidate somehow.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Poona Ford has been a massive disappointment. He did some great things in Seattle and there was a lot of hype about what he could bring us when we brought him in.

It was surprising to see him so far down the depth chart following Training Camp. He then spent every game until Daquan went down as a healthy scratch. We were activating Kendall Vickers off the Practice Squad over him.

It seemed crazy to me - but last night we found out why. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Listened to Joe B’s podcast where he discusses the drive NYG had where they ran it down our throats and caused us to pull Poona Ford. 

The cascading affect of how it forced Ed Oliver to play a ton of snaps. 

The further cascading affect of how it puts more pressure of two undersized linebackers who are meant to fly around, not fight through the wash.   

Im fine with Dorian Williams learning on the job at LB.   If Jackson, Benford & Elam is what we have to roll with for the season.. I’m reluctantly ok with that as well.  

I think 1T could be the position that not just hurts itself in a vacuum, but further compromises other parts of the defense.  

If we’re being honest, that might be my top trade deadline target.   It would be a shame to have one positional injury become one that affects multiple others on the defense. 

I also think their running success was due to the LBs not playing the gaps correctly. Once the shifted over, the giants were not able to be as successful. Some of this may be due to Bernard's inexperience although it may have been how McD wanted to be aligned. Whatever the case, they left huge holes for the giants to run through. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Poona Ford has been a massive disappointment. He did some great things in Seattle and there was a lot of hype about what he could bring us when we brought him in.

It was surprising to see him so far down the depth chart following Training Camp. He then spent every game until Daquan went down as a healthy scratch. We were activating Kendall Vickers off the Practice Squad over him.

It seemed crazy to me - but last night we found out why. 

This makes the second defensive tackle that we have gotten from Seattle that has come in here, and disappointed the first one being Jefferson

Maybe we should stay away from Seattle for players

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ndamukong Suh 

I’d be OK with it we could use an enforcer on this team anyway

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This makes the second defensive tackle that we have gotten from Seattle that has come in here, and disappointed the first one being Jefferson

Maybe we should stay away from Seattle for players

I’d be OK with it we could use an enforcer on this team anyway

Jefferson already has three sacks on the season... I think he had five last year

McDermott's rotation doesn't let many defensive linemen get into a groove and collect stats... He's a solid rotation guy at strong side end or three technique though

He has a place in the league 

Still disappointed in the Poona Ford pickup. Thought the talk going was to be between him and Jones for that spot next to Oliver… 3 games, 42 snaps, 1 tackle. Wanted better from what I heard and saw in Seattle. 

Edited by BBFL

I guess there was a reason Poona ford was still available for cheap in FA.   He got talked up so much by Joe Marino who I have a lot of respect for.   But it definitely makes me take things more with a grain of salt.  For projections on guys I will be more wait and see.   

• Like (+1) 1

I've been bitching about this for three years. I understand that it's difficult to find humans that big, but it's completely unacceptable that we can't seem to get this position sorted. There's seriously no other large humans we could've put on our practice squad?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jefferson already has three sacks on the season... I think he had five last year

McDermott's rotation doesn't let many defensive linemen get into a groove and collect stats... He's a solid rotation guy at strong side end or three technique though

He has a place in the league 

The criteria wasn’t that they have been playing well it was whether they played well as a bill I think?

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The criteria wasn’t that they have been playing well it was whether they played well as a bill I think?

For sure ..  I wasn't calling out your post

He really didn't do anything here... But he still an NFL worthy player who found some success

The thing is with the d line rotation... It's more about the unit effort than the individual

I think McD wants flexibility at the DT spots. You saw a few times yesterday the tackles would adjust to the strength of the defense, instead of switching spots. 

I think this is beneficial if you have the personnel but if they continue to do that, teams can take advantage getting a more favorable look with motions and shifts, forcing guys like Oliver to the nose.

Oliver played 87% of the snaps yesterday. That is by far the most I can remember of any DT underneath mcdermott. Wow. 

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ndamukong Suh 

He's not the dominant player he once was, but he's an upgrade to what we have in the building now.  I'd definitely have him in for a workout to see if he still has something left in the tank.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.