Worst "win" I've ever seen

Herb

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

This feels like to me the football gods gave us this one to make up a little for Wide Right, the 07 Dallas game, and the 09 Patriots game.  All other prime time games too.

It’s like you’re playing the Giants on prime time TV.  You didn’t deserve to win but there you go 

Any good luck coming back our way from Wide Right can only be applied if it allows us to win a Super Bowl.  I'm not letting that marker be used on anything less than that.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Generational talent that went to Hollywood and missed a wide open TE on a play that would have initiated victory formation.  Dorsey gets some blame here but not all of it.

Said pass hit that wide open tight end in the hands.  Kelce & Kittle catch that ball.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Generational talent that went to Hollywood and missed a wide open TE on a play that would have initiated victory formation.  Dorsey gets some blame here but not all of it.

He also made about 4 or 5 nearly impossible throws under instant pressure and went like 11/12 in the second half despite running for his life all night.  I don’t think any other qb in the league wins that game

there have been games that were absolutely all on him like the jets game week 1 but this was definitely not one of them..  not a great throw to Knox but he’s gotta haul that in 

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol at the hit him in the hands crowd.  After he dove, sure.  How about hitting him somewhere in the vicinity of the numbers?  He was wide open.

It wasn’t a good throw but sometimes your skill position guys have to make plays and knox has dropped plenty.  Blaming josh for almost losing this one seems absolutely ridiculous…the oline got absolutely obliterated all night and he was making plays left and right 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He also made about 4 or 5 nearly impossible throws under instant pressure and went like 11/12 in the second half despite running for his life all night.  I don’t think any other qb in the league wins that game

there have been games that were absolutely all on him like the jets game week 1 but this was definitely not one of them 

First of all….we won, so nothing is on anyone.  Don’t make me quote Dick Jauron.

Secondly, I agree with you that Josh had a good second half.  I think “running for his life” is a little over the top but he definitely had to make things work.  There was also some luck involved…like there is for every winning team every week.  Was his winning throw to Morris really all that different than his losing throw against Minny last year?  He didn’t have to risk it all on that play.  He did and it worked and it was fun to watch, but it was unnecessary.  The Bills win that game with lots of QBs because they play differently.  Allen won so it’s all good, but to say no other QB could have won is just odd hero worship.  With Cousins under center we run to start and it probably works to a degree then we take a shot here and there.  The Bills scored 14 points.  No other QB in the league could do that?  So far Dak has, Dobbs has, Purdy has, Geno has, Tua has.  Next week Howell gets a try.

The first half stunk.  Was it because the Giants staff knows us?  Davis’ key fumble? Dorsey taking too long to adjust?  Josh reverting to his comfort zone?  I’d say probably a little of each.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Worst win I've seen this year

This game reminded me of most of last year when we were squeaking out bad wins. Leaving the game frustrated and confused because we stunk but still won.

Seemed like every week last year we were having these conversations.

McD and Dorsey need to figure it out, or GTFO.

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Herb said:

In my entire history of watching our Bills, this was the most unsatisfying win I can ever remember. I'm 44 years old and have been a lifelong fan. If Bills management aren't 100% behind letting Josh call the plays after these last two weeks, we're in a lot of unnecessary trouble.

You must be forgetting some of the horrible games in 1999. 

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

First of all….we won, so nothing is on anyone.  Don’t make me quote Dick Jauron.

Secondly, I agree with you that Josh had a good second half.  I think “running for his life” is a little over the top but he definitely had to make things work.  There was also some luck involved…like there is for every winning team every week.  Was his winning throw to Morris really all that different than his losing throw against Minny last year?  He didn’t have to risk it all on that play.  He did and it worked and it was fun to watch, but it was unnecessary.  The Bills win that game with lots of QBs because they play differently.  Allen won so it’s all good, but to say no other QB could have won is just odd hero worship.  With Cousins under center we run to start and it probably works to a degree then we take a shot here and there.  The Bills scored 14 points.  No other QB in the league could do that?  So far Dak has, Dobbs has, Purdy has, Geno has, Tua has.  Next week Howell gets a try.

The first half stunk.  Was it because the Giants staff knows us?  Davis’ key fumble? Dorsey taking too long to adjust?  Josh reverting to his comfort zone?  I’d say probably a little of each.

I wonder if London played a factor. When teams first started going there, they would have their bye week the next week. Now teams play the week after going to London. Take yesterday's game. The Ravens left for London on Monday and Titans did what the Bills did and waited until Thursday before going. Notice how the Ravens jumped out to a big lead in the first half. Same thing happened in the Bills-Jags game. I have never been to London so I don't know if the time change is a real thing or not but if it is that could explain the Bills being sluggish last night. 

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I wonder if London played a factor. When teams first started going there, they would have their bye week the next week. Now teams play the week after going to London. Take yesterday's game. The Ravens left for London on Monday and Titans did what the Bills did and waited until Thursday before going. Notice how the Ravens jumped out to a big lead in the first half. Same thing happened in the Bills-Jags game. I have never been to London so I don't know if the time change is a real thing or not but if it is that could explain the Bills being sluggish last night. 

London is a lot like Canada in that you can’t find a person with normal teeth but they are smarter at least.  Their food sucks though.

I can see the travel having had some impact but I think it was slow adjustments in the first half like some others have said.  The second half was what it needed to be based on what the Giants were doing….time consuming drives that meant the game was going to remain close.  If Josh hits a gimme pitch and catch on third down we kneel and all this teeth gnashing is saved.

• Like (+1) 1

Well...this week featured a lot of very good to great teams either losing to much worse teams or barely scraping by...

Chiefs scraped by the Broncos.

Eagles lost to the Jets.

49ers lost to the 3rd string QB in Cleveland. 

Bills scraped by the Giants.

I'd rather wake up today with the W in a "bad win" than with an L in a "great loss". You don't get awarded style points in the NFL, only L's or W's at the end of the day.  

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Every year we see teams like the Chiefs win one or two of these ugly games a year. The Patriots would win these games as well. 

Yes, it was ugly and we looked awful. But they gutted out a tough game and it goes in the win column. That's literally all that matters.

And every year you saw teams like KC & the Pats move on to championships. Bills eh not so much.

We struggled last night against arguably the worst team in the league.  

Edited by PayDaBill$

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t think running for his life was an exaggeration at all and people that think it is should probably rewatch the game 😂. That’s one of the worst offensive line performances I’ve ever seen us have.  

Well if you downplay the offensive line point I wouldn’t expect you to agree with the ‘no other qb can do that’ point haha there were a handful of throws josh made under instant pressure that maybe one other guy in the league can make that extended both of those td drives.  It has nothing to do with hero worship, I can comfortably say the offensive line held up pretty well week 1 and josh single handedly lost the game.  

I clearly wasn’t saying ‘no other qb can score 2 tds in a game’ haha that did give me a chuckle though.  No shot any of those guys you listed make a lot of those second half throws and that is an objective fact.

Teams make changes on a week to week basis and their head coach pretty much designed our offensive system and knows our offensive linemens tendencies better than anyone.  Bringing up other teams that have played the giants past weeks is completely illogical.  we blew out three teams this season did that mean absolutely anything in the last two weeks?

40 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Said pass hit that wide open tight end in the hands.  Kelce & Kittle catch that ball.

Did you know Kelce dated Taylor Swift?!  Alright, Goodell, send me my money, for the plug. 🤨

NFL's version of "Did you know Ryan Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard?"

25 minutes ago, Billl said:

Really?  You don't think any other QB could win a home game against a Giants team that scored a total of 9 points?

Idk why everyone is hung up on ‘it was the giants’…I don’t care who it was…their front 7 absolutely obliterated us to levels no other team that is supposedly way better on paper has this year.  You plug any other qb in there not named mahomes and they have absolutely no shot at making any of those drive extending plays last night.  Not sure it’s even debatable.  I mean, y’all can continue with the ‘you don’t think anyone else can score on the giants’ shtick but that is very clearly not what I meant 😂.

Idk if it was Daboll knowing our OL tendencies or the giants defense finally not being on the field for 45 minutes or what but they absolutely roasted us up front. Dexter Lawrence has unquestionably been a beast all season though so idk how ridiculously surprising it is 

there were also quite a few loooong drives for both teams in this one.  Normally the giants go instantly three and out lol we got 9 total drives in this one 

people sayin geno scored on the giants why couldn’t the bills should probably review the stat line from that game…pretty much the entire Seahawks offensive output came on one busted coverage with lock at qb…Seahawks had even less total yardage than us on two more drives.  Cowboys had less total yardage than us also in their 40-0 win if you can believe that 🤣. Dak was 13/24 for 143 yards.  They did a decent job against tua…he just cracked 300 yards but he turned it over twice.

The giants offense has been what is losing them games..  they have been historically awful up until

this game.  Everything snowballs for them because they are a blitz heavy team and their guys gas out when their offense goes three and out ten times in a row.  I think the Daniel jones injury really helped them out,  tyrod is the kind of qb they need.  He will not make a mistake leading to a sudden change for his defense and he’s got more mobility than jones 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The TE should have caught it, period. Not a perfect throw but hit him in the hands and a catch NFL players make routinely. 

25 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

And every year you saw teams like KC & the Pats move on to championships. Bills eh not so much.

Ahhh, so you see that it can be done.

I'm sick of stacking huge impressive wins early in the season only to come up short in the end, aren't you? It's almost refreshing to struggle offensively this early (you know, like the teams that HAVE MADE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES) have done...almost like it gives teams to recalibrate and make changes to find what works and gives other teams less of a blue print on how to stop you once fixed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, a win is a win.  There are no style points.

But I'm worried about Dorsey and the offense.  We won three games by 4 TDs.  We also won a low-scoring game to the Giants while losing low-scoring games to the Jets and Jags.   This offense has dissociative identity disorder, and I don't like some of its multiple personalities.  

We're not going to march through the playoffs, if we even reach the playoffs, if we don't become more consistent on offense.   I think that's why this 'ugly' win has some of the mafia bothered.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am curious.  What is your "best" loss you can remember?

Good point, but I still can't believe it took that much to gut out a win against the worst underdogs of the year at home. If they play like that against a better offense, we get blown out.

4 minutes ago, Herb said:

Good point, but I still can't believe it took that much to gut out a win against the worst underdogs of the year at home. If they play like that against a better offense, we get blown out.

I see you avoided the question.

This was like a division game where opponent knows you so well because you play so often.

43 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

But with the caveat that Daboll has inside information on the offense and Allen that nobody else in the NFL would.  That looks like it counted for something.  

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I see you avoided the question.

This was like a division game where opponent knows you so well because you play so often.

Only it wasn't a division game and our offense is healthy. I also didn't avoid your question. I simply conceded to your point that there really is no best loss.

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Worst win would be like the Jets win in week 1. Your franchise QB is out for the season and you only win because the other team's QB has some sort of episode and gifts you it at the last moment.

Whos' feeling better about their team right now, Jets fans or Bills fans?

8 hours ago, Herb said:

Dorsey has clearly been overthinking things to a detrimental point the past two weeks. When you have a generational talent like Josh, you owe it to the fans to be your absolute best every game. The Giants were the biggest underdog all season and it took an uncalled pass interference on the last play of the game to win with a healthy and dominant offense.

There's quite clearly a recurring issue on the offensive side of the ball, and it's not always involving the same players or unit.  That means that it's clearly a coaching issue.  What kind of a coaching issue I suppose that everyone can have their opinion on, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Dorsey's in over his head and/or he's simply not good.  22 games into his tenure these issues should not exist.  He's got more than other OCs that aren't nearly as inconsistent have to work with.

Then there's this blatant disconnect between McD and everything that's offensively oriented, as if to suggest that because he's "defensive-minded" that somehow it's not his responsibility, which is ridiculous.

I appreciate our loyalty as Bills fans, but sorry to say, this coaching staff is not anything even close to an ideal fit for the talent that the team has presently.  

It's going to continue to be a handicap in the playoffs.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Did people really think tyrod Taylor and Brian dabol wouldn't have a good game playing against the bills we won you all seem like sour puss f****** idiots

I suppose you're right. And Mythbusters proved you can polish a turd.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Thurman did say the K-Gun consisted of 12 plays. It’s the speed and relentless tempo that wore teams out. Right now it seems we are snapping the ball with seconds to go on the play clock. That’s not uptempo and I think we could use that intermittently to keep defenses gassed. 

I was SCREAMING at times the last two games,  up the tempo. Semi no huddle. Force your O to play faster, up their energy. They were flat as a pancake again 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

There's quite clearly a recurring issue on the offensive side of the ball, and it's not always involving the same players or unit.  That means that it's clearly a coaching issue.  What kind of a coaching issue I suppose that everyone can have their opinion on, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Dorsey's in over his head and/or he's simply not good.  22 games into his tenure these issues should not exist.  He's got more than other OCs that aren't nearly as inconsistent have to work with.

Then there's this blatant disconnect between McD and everything that's offensively oriented, as if to suggest that because he's "defensive-minded" that somehow it's not his responsibility, which is ridiculous.

I appreciate it loyalty as Bills fans, but sorry to say, this coaching staff is not anything even close to an ideal fit for the talent that the team has presently.  

It's going to continue to be a handicap in the playoffs.  

I really don’t know if I’m taking crazy pills or something but it seems as simple as…pass blocking bad offense bad.  Pass blocking good offense good to me for years now lol 

if we hold up up front we destroy teams typically.  Idk if people don’t want to believe this or they want to blame the qb/skill position players/ play design or what but the OL was a massive issue last night to the point where who even knows what the play design is?  Everything broke down pretty much instantly.  And you’ve got skill position players in chipping to help the OL out and they’re still getting smoked so that’s limiting the route tree of one/multiple pass catchers just to not quite hold up in pass protection.

people are like ohhh Ben Johnson in Detroit what a genius…one of the best offensive lines.  Oh Andy Reid another genius….perennially one of the best offensive lines. Oh eagles OC from last year that I forgot the name of lol genius…one of the best offensive lines.  Games where their olines don’t hold up they look just as bad as anyone else. Look at philly and kc vs the jets this year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.