Frank Clark...of interest?

beebe

Might the Bills be interested in Frank Clark? If for no other reason than to keep him off the Chiefs (KC wanted to sign him, but he wanted too much money). Bills pretty loaded with pass rushers but you can never have enough and this could be a bargain for a proven playoff performer. 

Edited by beebe
this should have gone in NFL trade thread, sorry!
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Honestly, yes.  

An argument is there to be made that we should make our fastball faster.  

Load up on the pass rush.  

Bring Von along slowly.. Allow EDGE dealing with a nagging injury to fully heal (Floyd, Rousseau) and then once everyone is healthy, we can kick Rousseau inside on passing downs. 

No better way to protect a sus secondary than with nonstop pass rush. 

With his pay cut, this is a cheap way to add another legit weapon to the defense. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Doubtful.  The Bills are stacked at EDGE with 6:

Von Miller

Greg Rosseau

Leonard Floyd

AJ Epinesa

Shaq Lawson

Jonathan Kingsley

Clark is likely not going to sign onto a PS.  So who do you move?  

The Bills what they’ve seen from Jonathan Kingsley and kept him over a former 2nd round pick.  

I guess you could swap Clark out for Shaq but Lawson is someone who knows the defense very well and does a decent job in his role.  

Unless there’s a major injury to this group (which isn’t out of the question given the injury luck this season), I can’t see the Bills trading or signing Clark 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Are the Broncos getting rid of malcontents in the locker room? They must be because these moves are creating huge dead cap numbers.

Maybe.. but someone like Frank Clark isn’t going to be cool hanging out on a team that’s season over by the trade deadline. 

He’s not a “process” guy.. but he’s a good pass rusher for cheap and if he can be had for a Day 3 pick at negligible cap cost.. why not?   Should we be worried he’d cause problems on a DL led by Von Miller?  

45 minutes ago, beebe said:

Might the Bills be interested in Frank Clark? If for no other reason than to keep him off the Chiefs (KC wanted to sign him, but he wanted too much money). Bills pretty loaded with pass rushers but you can never have enough and this could be a bargain for a proven playoff performer. 

If you make moves just to prevent another team from signing a guy you are running your organization poorly. Should we also call and overpay the Jets for Mecole Hardman? A 2nd could accomplish it. 

As far as should they have interest...IMO no. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Doubtful.  The Bills are stacked at EDGE with 6:

Von Miller

Greg Rosseau

Leonard Floyd

AJ Epinesa

Shaq Lawson

Jonathan Kingsley

Clark is likely not going to sign onto a PS.  So who do you move?  

The Bills what they’ve seen from Jonathan Kingsley and kept him over a former 2nd round pick.  

I guess you could swap Clark out for Shaq but Lawson is someone who knows the defense very well and does a decent job in his role.  

Unless there’s a major injury to this group (which isn’t out of the question given the injury luck this season), I can’t see the Bills trading or signing Clark 

I'm about to put you onto something good and you are giving me your problems.

kellys-heroes-oddball.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If you make moves just to prevent another team from signing a guy you are running your organization poorly. Should we also call and overpay the Jets for Mecole Hardman? A 2nd could accomplish it. 

You can't control what other teams do. 

Would I take Clark here at that price...of course...will it happen, I am skeptical given EDGE isn't really a position I think Beane or McD feels we need upgrades on.  Groot, Floyd, and AJE have been stellar...Von just got back and should get stronger as the season goes on, and then we still got valued depth behind them.  

But at that price, I wouldn't rule it out depending on what the draft pick compensation would be.  I mean that contract is now easy for us to bring in, so given the weakness created by injuries on the D, maybe they they will see him as insurance to make sure the pass rush is top notch which can also help mask other deficiencies in the secondary if we are consistently disrupting the QB up front rushing 4.  So having more bodies to have fresh rushers rotating in all game is something they like to do, so I also won't rule this out.  

• Like (+1) 1

Nope.

The Bills don't need another Edge.

You're not taking Von or Floyd off the field more than needed. You're not stunting the growth of Rousseau and Epenesa, who have both been playing well. So where does Frank Clark fit in?

The Bills could use a 1T, a WILL, a corner...but not so much an Edge.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Honestly, yes.  

An argument is there to be made that we should make our fastball faster.  

Load up on the pass rush.  

Bring Von along slowly.. Allow EDGE dealing with a nagging injury to fully heal (Floyd, Rousseau) and then once everyone is healthy, we can kick Rousseau inside on passing downs. 

No better way to protect a sus secondary than with nonstop pass rush. 

With his pay cut, this is a cheap way to add another legit weapon to the defense. 

Very interesting.

I've seen this idea of putting Rousseau inside before — is there evidence, from college or in the NFL, that he can win inside? Or is it all hypothetical at this point?

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't agree with this completely. It depends on the player

I would do it and move Kingsley to the PS if possible. Look our top LB is gone, the secondary took a big hit with Tre and both safetys are slow. More pass rush would help.

And let me throw this out there... The Johnson Defense that Mcdermott was raised in was a 4-3.  Sign clark, move Miller to the WLB  and lets roll with a 4-3.  Think on that for a minute...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Clark or K Jonathan? I take Clark for the vet presence and playoff experience. Miller and Floyd need to manage snaps and I would rather see a rotation with Groot, AJE with Miller, Floyd, Clark. Heck you can even bump AJE or Groot inside vs certain teams and go with a front 4 of Miller, Groot/AJE, Oliver, Floyd/Clark, especially in passing situations. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't agree with this completely. It depends on the player

It really shouldn't. You sign players that fit your scheme and your team. If you're adding players (and I assume you would be talking about high level guys) that don't improve what you do just so another team can't sign, ultimately you are paying big bucks and getting reduced output back from it. Horrible way to manage a team.

Now if the player fits and can improve your team...so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It really shouldn't. You sign players that fit your scheme and your team. If you're adding players (and I assume you would be talking about high level guys) that don't improve what you do just so another team can't sign, ultimately you are paying big bucks and getting reduced output back from it. Horrible way to manage a team.

Now if the player fits and can improve your team...so be it.

Well yes, the scheme fit is obvious. That's not what I meant. I was talking as if they did fit the scheme and it came down to two teams that are trying for a Super Bowl. If that guy fits my scheme and he's a great player and I can keep him out of the hands of the other team, I'm doing it

14 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Well yes, the scheme fit is obvious. That's not what I meant. I was talking as if they did fit the scheme and it came down to two teams that are trying for a Super Bowl. If that guy fits my scheme and he's a great player and I can keep him out of the hands of the other team, I'm doing it

Yes but need for your team still has to dictate. Obviously, if the player fits a need you go all in if another contender is trying as well. But if it just to stack a player at a position you don't need filled it's a waste of cap space and possibly hindering the opportunity to shore up your squad in another area. 

For the Bills right now EDGE is not a need. 

I like the idea of moving Greg/Clark inside on 3rd downs and having 3 good pass rushers on the field together

Having that kind of edge rush can help mask losing Milano and Tre at least somewhat

Floyd

Von

Rousseau

AJ

Clark

Kingsley

will the Bills do it?   Very unlikely.

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

We don't need a Defensive End. We're stacked there. 

All of these trade posts are being made for positions where we don't need help when we don't have money to begin with.

If a Linebacker or a Cornerback becomes available, those will be the only positions we should try and make something happen with. And it would take a lot of work.

Love the idea especially if cheap (obviously).

We aren't going to find much above average help in the secondary.  So we need to be ready to go with rush.

Who knows what Von's gonna do.  Greg with a busted up foot.  Floyd had something last game too.  

One of these guys goes down long term, and we're toast imo.  Absolutely would be calling at this point.  Absolutely.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.