Red Zone Channel Critique

LabattBlue

Disclaimer…I love the RZC, have for numerous years now, and if the Bills aren’t playing, this is what I watch. 

That being said, they get completely carried away with the double, triple and quad box when it is completely unnecessary.  I thought the whole point was to show games when a team is in the “RED ZONE”?  

Now they go to the multiple box scenario even when plays are not simultaneous, and include garbage games with teams snapping the ball in their own territory. 

Hello RZC…not everyone is watching on a 100” TV.  I have a 60” TV, couch is 10’ away, and the multi-box scenarios are annoying as heck. 

Yes…now I feel better.  😂

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, it is definitely not as good as it was when Andrew Siciliano was doing it. Now they just jump from game to game without explaining what is happening situationally, like he used to.

Plus, instead of being the red zone channel, it has become the let’s jump to every play of every game, regardless of where they are on the field, channel.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, gomper said:

Wow. You people are spoiled. I think the RZ is outstanding. They bounce you around the league and never miss an important play. The production values are excellent. I call it "God's channel "

I think the overuse of the multi-box view is a fair criticism. 

I watched it for about an hour during the early afternoon game and found it too "busy." Part of it was the frequent use of multi-screen view, as the OP described, but another was just the constant hopping between games. Yeah, I understand that that's its purpose, but I'd rather watch one game at a time. They show scoring plays from other games and I can watch game highlights at halftime, during the post-game show, and on YouTube.

I eventually flipped over to the Giants-Dolphins game and just watched that.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Disclaimer…I love the RZC, have for numerous years now, and if the Bills aren’t playing, this is what I watch. 

That being said, they get completely carried away with the double, triple and quad box when it is completely unnecessary.  I thought the whole point was to show games when a team is in the “RED ZONE”?  

Now they go to the multiple box scenario even when plays are not simultaneous, and include garbage games with teams snapping the ball in their own territory. 

Hello RZC…not everyone is watching on a 100” TV.  I have a 60” TV, couch is 10’ away, and the multi-box scenarios are annoying as heck. 

I watched RZ for the first time ever on Sunday. It was a bit much for me. Nice if I am not going to pay much attention to the tv, but not if I want to get a feel for any particular game. And I watched it on a small tv at a rental so that didn’t help. Spot on about four games running simultaneously. 

22 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yeah, it is definitely not as good as it was when Andrew Siciliano was doing it. Now they just jump from game to game without explaining what is happening situationally, like he used to.

Plus, instead of being the red zone channel, it has become the let’s jump to every play of every game, regardless of where they are on the field, channel.

This.

I hate having switches to games with absolutely no warning or narrative - it's like watching TV when gramps controls the remote and he just changes channels willy nilly - it's annoying! DTV with Siciliano was so much better (although the guy got no breaks).

Edited by The Avenger
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, gomper said:

The channel is about full immersion.

To me, it's the exact opposite. When I'm fully immersed, I'm focusing on one game. RZ is broad, not deep, coverage.

As someone else said, it's okay if it's just in the background, but I couldn't just sit on the couch and watch it like I would a single game. (In fact, that's why I got up and started doing other stuff, with the TV in the background.)

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

sounds like you’ve got a tv problem 

https://a.co/d/3mniAO3

Problem solved!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

the quad boxes are great. I'm on a 65" tv and have no problem paying attention to each game. I wish they had a channel that had all 4 up at all times. I do this on my pc with streams often.

NFLST on YT has it. 

My experience has been that anyone who liked the DTV version of Red Zone tends not to like the NFL Network-produced version with Scott Hanson.

This is a pretty good article comparing and contrasting the two: https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/there-is-a-clear-favorite-in-the-battle-of-the-nfl-redzone-channels.html

The tl/dr: NFL Red Zone "engineers" a bunch of drama by often claiming they are showing you "live" game feeds but in reality, they know what's going to happen and they're on a 1-2 minute tape delay.  Siciliano's DTV version always cut live to the action whenever possible.  They would show highlights of scoring plays that happened while they were away from a game, but call them exactly that - a replay.  If Hanson's channel misses a play, they cut to a "live" feed of the game that's really just a highlight of a touchdown that happened a minute or two ago.

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was all ears when Siciliano was on there.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

My experience has been that anyone who liked the DTV version of Red Zone tends not to like the NFL Network-produced version with Scott Hanson.

This is a pretty good article comparing and contrasting the two: https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/there-is-a-clear-favorite-in-the-battle-of-the-nfl-redzone-channels.html

The tl/dr: NFL Red Zone "engineers" a bunch of drama by often claiming they are showing you "live" game feeds but in reality, they know what's going to happen and they're on a 1-2 minute tape delay.  Siciliano's DTV version always cut live to the action whenever possible.  They would show highlights of scoring plays that happened while they were away from a game, but call them exactly that - a replay.  If Hanson's channel misses a play, they cut to a "live" feed of the game that's really just a highlight of a touchdown that happened a minute or two ago.

Unless you are staring at your phone while watching RZ, how would you know it is delayed by a minute or so.  To me…not a big deal. 

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Unless you are staring at your phone while watching RZ, how would you know it is delayed by a minute or so.  To me…not a big deal. 

I think that's the problem.  With fantasy as well as Sunday Ticket itself - at least I tend to be keeping track of more games.  I often find myself using my laptop to, say, participate in the game day thread here or in the "Around the NFL" chat on Sundays.  I often already know what's happened before the NFLN can rearrange the clip of the live feed.

It's not a huge deal, but IMO coming from the DirecTV broadcast, I preferred their way of doing it.  Perhaps the new way will grow on me, I dunno.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.