Is pickle ball a cult?

4merper4mer

Funny timing for this thread. I played for the first time yesterday - my company rented a place with an instructor for a few hours.  It was a lot of fun except that most of the people who went were not very athletic.

Crazy thing to me is how expensive the paddles can get. Instructor said his was $250.  

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Funny timing for this thread. I played for the first time yesterday - my company rented a place with an instructor for a few hours.  It was a lot of fun except that most of the people who went were not very athletic.

Crazy thing to me is how expensive the paddles can get. Instructor said his was $250.  

Many cults look to extract money from their membership early in the cycle to establish a pattern.  A $250 piece of particle board seems like a good start, but I wouldn’t think that alone is enough to classify it.

55 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Many cults look to extract money from their membership early in the cycle to establish a pattern.  A $250 piece of particle board seems like a good start, but I wouldn’t think that alone is enough to classify it.

You might be on to something with this cult stuff. I have to admit that when they mentioned the 'golden pickle' I checked to see if the doors to the court were locked from the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

Not a cult.  Started playing about six months ago with some folks who’ve been in it for a while.  We don’t take it too seriously, it’s a social thing and you get a little exercise.  Can you spend $200+ on a paddle?  Yes, but you don’t have to.  You want sticker  shock?  Take up road biking or downhill skiing. $$$$!

• Like (+1) 1

I have gotten into it. Thought it was lame before I tried it as a former tennis player (and I still prefer tennis), but it is pretty fun. I have played with my college age nephews and it is better when it is fast and you have athletic players. 

I will say that I get annoyed at some of these hard-core players. I played in a tournament on a cruise with these guys that took it way too seriously, and it started to annoy me.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, boyst said:

Jonestowns finest flavors

It was actually grape Flavor Aid NOT Kool-Aid used in Jonestown. 😉 

To answer the OP... Judging from people who play it... Yes.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I will say that I get annoyed at some of these hard-core players. I played in a tournament on a cruise with these guys that took it way too seriously, and it started to annoy me.

Isn't this in Human Psychology 101? Like everything else...

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have gotten into it. Thought it was lame before I tried it as a former tennis player (and I still prefer tennis), but it is pretty fun. I have played with my college age nephews and it is better when it is fast and you have athletic players. 

That’s the big problem we’ve been having in our “beer league” adult hockey team. We were tired of getting out ass beat by 18 year olds, some of which were still playing in high school prep leagues 🙄. After about 15 years we decided to drop down a league, and are still currently 0-4 😂……we may have waited too long 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

That’s the big problem we’ve been having in our “beer league” adult hockey team. We were tired of getting out ass beat by 18 year olds, some of which were still playing in high school prep leagues 🙄. After about 15 years we decided to drop down a league, and are still currently 0-4 😂……we may have waited too long 🤦🏻‍♂️

There should be a rule that if you can't legally drink beer, you can't play in a beer league. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Definitely a cult. They start them young, too. My kids had to play pickle ball in gym class over the years. This indoctrination of youngsters breeds a whole new generation of pickle ballers and ga ga ball enthusiasts. Scary stuff. 

Will they put them thru college? It might be a good deal! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Discuss.

My wife and I plan to spend winters in S Florida when we retire.  There is an ongoing battle at the association about Pickleball courts, whether or not the courts should have been installed, noise ordinance violations, approved paddles, back alley dealing and litigation. 

I feel there is a cultish vibe to it to be sure.  It’s been pretty contentious, but less Tupac v Biggie, more Mitch McConnell v Nancy Pelosi. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Pete said:

my GF plays daily.  Am I last person in Massachusetts that still much prefers tennis?  Pickleball is ping pong, you just stand.  Tennis you get to run around

You’re a good one to ask.  Does your girlfriend also:

Extol the virtues of the club President as if he is infallible

Have trouble explaining her expenditures

Have any recent odd tattoos or marks that look like she has been branded

Refuse to ever let anything interfere with her ever expanding league schedule

Chant in her sleep?

If these things haven’t started you still may want to be on the lookout.

• Vomit 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

my GF plays daily.  Am I last person in Massachusetts that still much prefers tennis?  Pickleball is ping pong, you just stand.  Tennis you get to run around

i haven't played yet.  screwed up the day for the free clinic.   that's what happens when you're old.  The serious tennis players know do not play pickle ball.  I don't play tennis.  So bad back, knees + that seems like a good fit for me.  Watching people play, they seem to be having lots of fun.  Especially the women.  They're more competitive than the men.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:11 AM, SinceThe70s said:

but you can get cheap ones...

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Exactly. That’s why I get annoyed too with the people who take p-ball so seriously. 

and golf.  My group has very strict rules. the most important is no more than a double bogey.  move the ball a club length in the same cut and 1 mulligan per side.   hurts my hdcp but doesn't matter.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Definitely a cult. They start them young, too. My kids had to play pickle ball in gym class over the years. This indoctrination of youngsters breeds a whole new generation of pickle ballers and ga ga ball enthusiasts. Scary stuff. 

the idea of you spawning more humans is what is scary 😝

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

My wife and I plan to spend winters in S Florida when we retire.  There is an ongoing battle at the association about Pickleball courts, whether or not the courts should have been installed, noise ordinance violations, approved paddles, back alley dealing and litigation. 

Having had parents who retired to Florida, allow me to amplify Seinfeld's contention that a major pastime for Florida retirees is reading the property association's rules and regulations, and seeing how it can be imposed on all your neighbours...but not you. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Sorry, but my generation had both team and 'free for all' dodgeball.  The element of danger built strong minds and bodies.

"They pickle ball and they pickle ball, but they have no guramba !"

3 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

and golf.  My group has very strict rules. the most important is no more than a double bogey.  move the ball a club length in the same cut and 1 mulligan per side.   hurts my hdcp but doesn't matter.

agree. With golf, we have similar rules. We max out at a double. Gimme putt is inside the leather of your putter extended from the cup. And we do 1 breakfast ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

There should be a rule that if you can't legally drink beer, you can't play in a beer league. 

So Tremaine Edmunds isn’t allowed? 

6 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I feel there is a cultish vibe to it to be sure.  It’s been pretty contentious, but less Tupac v Biggie, more Mitch McConnell v Nancy Pelosi. 

Self-admitted tennis guy, but the sound of the striking of a pickle ball is just grating! Can a sound be ugly? I’d have to wear headphones! 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Jeebus!  That was Mr. Craik, my phys ed teacher in later elementary school years.  He was a blast! 😁

My grade school gym teacher (Coach Gustafson) used to be the dedicated pitcher when we played kickball. If you were up and kicked the ball anywhere in his vicinity, he'd catch it and chuck it as hard as he could to tag you out. I can't say I was fond of having a red welt on my side for the rest of the day.

• Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agree. With golf, we have similar rules. We max out at a double. Gimme putt is inside the leather of your putter extended from the cup. And we do 1 breakfast ball. 

Breakfast ball being 2 off the 1st tee?  Played that rule before as the only mulligan.  Whatever is more fun for everyone and everyone agrees....

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

My grade school gym teacher (Coach Gustafson) used to be the dedicated pitcher when we played kickball. If you were up and kicked the ball anywhere in his vicinity, he'd catch it and chuck it as hard as he could to tag you out. I can't say I was fond of having a red welt on my side for the rest of the day.

Ah, the bully PE teacher made you into the tough guy you are! He was just building character, and teaching kids strategy at the same time! You made a point of not bothering the gym teacher, didn’t you? He did NOT want do do any more than roll the ball and hear the bell ring! I think you might have made him angrier than he already was about his career choices. 

Sincerely, 

Coach Gustafson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.