The Bills biggest problem on offense remains unchanged

Simon

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

But weren’t we expecting him to be a dumpster fire?

Being a poor pass protecting and solid run blocking RT is better than being a dumpster fire.   That doesn’t mean he should be our starting RT next season.  

If he improves his pass protection and is adequate in pass protection and doesn’t need constant help, then sure, bring him back. My statement about trading him revolves around him staying as he is now.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Being a poor pass protecting and solid run blocking RT is better than being a dumpster fire.   That doesn’t mean he should be our starting RT next season.  

If he improves his pass protection and is adequate in pass protection and doesn’t need constant help, then sure, bring him back. My statement about trading him revolves around him staying as he is now.  

That’s fair enough

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

John, he is this year's target.  Not much you can say to remove the target from his back.  He is not the best RT in the league, but not the worst either.  Good run blocker but given his size can be susceptible to getting off balance at times in pass protection.  Horrors.

He’s the target.

this is a message board where we discuss the good and the bad. If brown wasn’t terrible last season, he wouldn’t be “targeting him”, aka observing how bad he was and discussing it.  But he was terrible and that earned him the crosshairs. What you call a target, most would call the hot seat.  He needs to shape up or ship out…..just like every other player that sucks.  

He’s playing a little better this year, but he hasn’t been good.  And if he wasn’t helped as much as he’s been helped, I don’t think we’d be talking much about him being improved.  The chips are taking all the pressure off

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s the target.

this is a message board where we discuss the good and the bad. If brown wasn’t terrible last season, he wouldn’t be “targeting him”, aka observing how bad he was and discussing it.  But he was terrible and that earned him the crosshairs. What you call a target, most would call the hot seat.  He needs to shape up or ship out…..just like every other player that sucks.  

He’s playing a little better this year, but he hasn’t been good.  And if he wasn’t helped as much as he’s been helped, I don’t think we’d be talking much about him being improved.  The chips are taking all the pressure off

Target.  Hot seat.  Whatever.  There is a strange predilection around here to focus negativity on a given player.  Right now it’s Brown.  And no he does not, in your word, suck.  He is good in the run game and needs to continue to improve in pass protection. If Brown shows marked improvement then the target will simply shift to another guy.  One would have thought that it would be Bernard since.so much negativity in the off-season was about not having a MLB but surprise! - when he actually played he was pretty good.  This is why I try to just watch the games and not let confirmation bias affect my view of how a given guy plays.

Ironically enough there is only one guy on the roster who has played one truly sucky game, and that was Josh week one.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Also, I think most are concerned long term or for the season with regards to Brown. Not just one game the Bills winnin Wash. 

Weaknesses have a way of being exposed. It's pretty clear Brown isn't a strength of the Oline. Almost seems like it's a matter of time before he severely hampers the Bills chances to win. 

I going to perhaps throw out a different way to look at the situation. The Bills coaches know Brown is subpar. They came up with various schemes to help him out. Thus far, it's been really effective. I think you have to give the Bills coaches credit here. Sure it creates some issues in the pass game as noted. However, Allen has had some decent time to throw the ball. That's paramount and priority number one. 

Going into the season with Brown as your starting tackle is a whole nother animal to discuss. 

Thank you....weaknesses have a nack to fester as the season progresses.  It's not sustainable to expect all these different offensive weapons (TE's/RB's) helping carry Spencer at the expense of their own production. Yes the remainder of our OL has held up against 2 weaker teams. But this comical idea of selecting "punching bags" every year is getting tired & old.  Fans are simply identifying an important area on the team that can get improved. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 2

The premise here is that the Bills offense is being ‘handicapped’ by needing to help out Brown in pass protection. So…I went to the NFL league-wide receiving stats to see if this would show up. It doesn’t. The Bills have more receivers in the Top 100 than most if not all of the other contenders. For example, the Chiefs don’t have a single receiver in the Top 50. Kincaid has as many receptions as Kelce, who is their top target. Even with the Dolphins hanging 70 points last week, they only have Hill in the Top 50. Once again, it’s easy to be critical of our Bills, but the other 31 teams are far from perfection across the entirety of their rosters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The premise here is that the Bills offense is being ‘handicapped’ by needing to help out Brown in pass protection. So…I went to the NFL league-wide receiving stats to see if this would show up. It doesn’t. The Bills have more receivers in the Top 100 than most if not all of the other contenders. 

Thanks for that info.

But it doesn't negate the OP's points - if we had to spend one less receiving asset to help Brown in pass pro, the O would be even more dynamic and diverse that it already is. While the last two weeks have been more than adequate to blowout the teams, we will struggle against teams built like the Jets D or if we run into a high scoring team with a great pass rush. Undoubtedly, there will be at least one such team in the playoffs

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Simon said:

The suggestion that he's shown improvement is not in any way a "fact".

Yeah, PFF and all that, but ... PFF's grades are basically:

- 2021: Replacement level 

- 2022: Horrible (dealing with injuries)

- 2023 so far: Replacement level

Which kind of fits with my eyeball test.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Thanks for that info.

But it doesn't negate the OP's points - if we had to spend one less receiving asset to help Brown in pass pro, the O would be even more dynamic and diverse that it already is. While the last two weeks have been more than adequate to blowout the teams, we will struggle against teams built like the Jets D or if we run into a high scoring team with a great pass rush. Undoubtedly, there will be at least one such team in the playoffs

Thanks but I’m honestly not sure what people want here anymore. The Bills are not a perfect team. And….neither is anyone else. Will we ‘struggle’ against really good opponents? Yes, I’m sure we will. That’s to be expected. (I’m just hoping we don’t do one of our typical mid-season swoons against a bad opponent.)

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Target.  Hot seat.  Whatever.  There is a strange predilection around here to focus negativity on a given player.  Right now it’s Brown.  And no he does not, in your word, suck.  He is good in the run game and needs to continue to improve in pass protection. If Brown shows marked improvement then the target will simply shift to another guy.  One would have thought that it would be Bernard since.so much negativity in the off-season was about not having a MLB but surprise! - when he actually played he was pretty good.  This is why I try to just watch the games and not let confirmation bias affect my view of how a given guy plays.

Ironically enough there is only one guy on the roster who has played one truly sucky game, and that was Josh week one.

You find it strange for Bills fans to talk negatively about our weakest starter?  A starter that was terrible last season.  A starter that has played poorly in pass protection again this year. 

As I’ve also pointed out, yes, he’s been solid as a run blocker.   Spencer brown was so bad in pass protection last season, that he could’ve improved 100% and could still be graded as terrible in pass protection.  

He has this season to earn an opportunity to compete for the job again next season.  And he’s lucky to have that based on his play last year. 

I don’t know about you, but I’m trying to win a Super Bowl here. I don’t want crappy players blocking for 17.  I don’t want any crappy players starting for our team at any position.  

targeting….. LOL.  Making observations and discussing them.  Some players become a “target” when the observations point to a player sucking. Super Bowl window is open…. get gud or begone. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

But if one actually watches the games thus far and focus in on him he is doing OK.  Like any guy in the league he got beat a couple times.  

You tell me, what should we be looking for in terms of performance?  No pressures or sacks given up?  There's a name for tackles like that:  HOFers.

Come on.  He ranked in bottom 5-6 RT in pressure rate allowed in 2022.

The guy is a weak link on the O-line.  It's OK to point that out.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yea. The improvement is that he now stands out as such. Last year we had three guys out there who had no business as NFL starters (and bear in mind Brown wasn't even good in the run game in 2022, he was as a rookie and has been decent run blocking so far this year... in 2022 he was bad at everything). 

• Like (+1) 1

It continues to be the same problem that has been plaguing them for three years, and that problem is Spencer Brown.

I give them credit for the solid job they have done hiding him so far, but the fact that they continue to have to go out of their way to protect him every week is absolutely handicapping what should be a much more efficient offense. When you have to commit skill players to blocking roles that often, it's like they're playing 10 on 11 out there.

If you wonder why Kincaid and Knox aren't having big impacts check and see how long it takes them to actually get into their routes when they have to spend extra time protecting Spencer Brown before they can leave the LOS.

If you wonder where Damien Harris and Latavius Murray are, look how often they are being asked to cover Spencer Brown. Hell, the Bills are actually using Murray on the LOS just to engage DE's while Brown is still getting set up in pass pro.

I really like Spencer Brown and am glad he is on the roster. You tell him to bury the guy in front of him on a 34 dive, and that's what he'll usually do. But he simply does not have the feet to be a complete OT in the modern NFL and is never going to. The necessity for the Bills to take skill players and put them on their heels to protect Brown instead of using them to attack defenses is making it impossible for them to maximize their offensive talent. And as long as they insist on putting a Tackle out there who can't play Tackle in this league, it's going to continue to be a problem all year.

I'm not a GM and have no idea what the in-season solution could be, or if there is even one available. The time to address the issue was the offseason and they didn't do enough solve the problem. I'm not saying it is going to sink their season down the road, but it is certainly going to make things much harder then they needed to be on offense for the rest of this year.

I think for this year the staff is going to Die on the Spencer Brown Hill.  You heard Beane make every excuse and defend him all offseason. I hate it, its the one major weak link that every team will come after, and it takes away weapons just like you said.

43 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Thank you....weaknesses have a nack to fester as the season progresses.  It's not sustainable to expect all these different offensive weapons (TE's/RB's) helping carry Spencer at the expense of their own production. Yes the remainder of our OL has held up against 2 weaker teams. But this comical idea of selecting "punching bags" every year is getting tired & old.  Fans are simply identifying an important area on the team that can get improved. 

The Commanders with 4 first round picks on the D line were weak?

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That was last year.  This year is this year.  Out of the 5 guys yes, he's probably the least accomplished.  But no one will answer what reasonable expectations are for the guy.

Edited by oldmanfan

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

My point is there seems to be an effort to single guys out even before the season starts.  

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That was last year.  This year is this year. 

Hence, why he was singled out before the season starts.....

14 hours ago, Simon said:

It continues to be the same problem that has been plaguing them for three years, and that problem is Spencer Brown.

I give them credit for the solid job they have done hiding him so far, but the fact that they continue to have to go out of their way to protect him every week is absolutely handicapping what should be a much more efficient offense. When you have to commit skill players to blocking roles that often, it's like they're playing 10 on 11 out there.

If you wonder why Kincaid and Knox aren't having big impacts check and see how long it takes them to actually get into their routes when they have to spend extra time protecting Spencer Brown before they can leave the LOS.

If you wonder where Damien Harris and Latavius Murray are, look how often they are being asked to cover Spencer Brown. Hell, the Bills are actually using Murray on the LOS just to engage DE's while Brown is still getting set up in pass pro.

I really like Spencer Brown and am glad he is on the roster. You tell him to bury the guy in front of him on a 34 dive, and that's what he'll usually do. But he simply does not have the feet to be a complete OT in the modern NFL and is never going to. The necessity for the Bills to take skill players and put them on their heels to protect Brown instead of using them to attack defenses is making it impossible for them to maximize their offensive talent. And as long as they insist on putting a Tackle out there who can't play Tackle in this league, it's going to continue to be a problem all year.

I'm not a GM and have no idea what the in-season solution could be, or if there is even one available. The time to address the issue was the offseason and they didn't do enough solve the problem. I'm not saying it is going to sink their season down the road, but it is certainly going to make things much harder then they needed to be on offense for the rest of this year.

the first thing you have to ask yourself is, how many RT's in this league can handle some of the better DE's in tis league alone.. I would argue that number is around 10. McGovern's pff is actually worse than Brown right now. Do you actually wonder why Josh has to roll out right so often and the pressure that puts on a RT? Not knowing where the QB is behind you?

Then you have to ask, are they lining up wrong? Why not just put Knox next to Brown, Knox chips and takes a flat while Kincaid is where he should be in the slot, taking more routs up the middle? Why are they having Kincaid chipping when Kincaid should be the main rout runner?

I think some of our play design's stinks. You see Diggs catching a ball and another catcher 4 yards away.. Why? You have the whole field to use.. 

Then the next dude is going to be saying well.. We does any of this matter. We are one of the top scoring offenses in the league. The fact of it is.. when you reach the playoffs, your offense has to be running smooth. The good thing is we have time to fix it.. The bad thing is... I do not think Kincaid should be chipping on the line at all. Kincaid not being used right. 

Bottom line? Yea we do not have the brightest star in Brown, but finding great RT's is not easy. Personally? you want to blame why Kincaid more specifically why he is chipping at the line all the time? You should ask yourself Why IS Kincaid at the line so much.. if knox needs a break... throw another blocking TE out there... Let Kincaid do his thing and not be blocking witch by the way, was supposed to be his short coming .

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Hence, why he was singled out before the season starts.....

And if you watch him this year, watch him without confirmation bias, he's not doing that bad.  He certainly has room to improve but he's not playing that bad.  But because, if you look at the rest of the roster there are no obvious candidates, Brown is targeted for the negativity.

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

the first thing you have to ask yourself is, how many RT's in this league can handle some of the better DE's in tis league alone.. I would argue that number is around 10. McGovern's pff is actually worse than Kincaid right now. Do you actually wonder why Josh has to roll out right so often and the pressure that puts on a RT? Not knowing where the QB is behind you?

Then you have to ask, are they lining up wrong? Why not just put Knox next to Brown, Knox chips and takes a flat while Kincaid is where he should be in the slot, taking more routs up the middle? Why are they having Kincaid chipping when Kincaid should be the main rout runner?

I think some of our play design's stinks. You see Diggs catching a ball and another catcher 4 yards away.. Why? You have the whole field to use.. 

Then the next dude is going to be saying well.. We does any of this matter. We are one of the top scoring offenses in the league. The fact of it is.. when you reach the playoffs, your offense has to be running smooth. The good thing is we have time to fix it.. The bad thing is... I do not think Kincaid should be chipping on the line at all. Kincaid not being used right. 

Bottom line? Yea we do not have the brightest star in Brown, but finding great RT's is not easy. Personally? you want to blame why Kincaid more specifically why he is chipping at the line all the time? You should ask yourself Why IS Kincaid at the line so much.. if knox needs a break... throw another blocking TE out there... Let Kincaid do his thing and not be blocking witch by the way, was supposed to be his short coming .

Interesting points

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

In his defense he has played 2 elite DLs and an elite pass rusher in Crosby. He has held up pretty well given the circumstances.  Still have high hopes for him, we can't have great players at every position,  even though we have a ton

I agree.  The OLine and Spencer both seem improved.  Of course they could improve more.

Meanwhile our real "biggest problem on offense"  (WR2) does not seem to have been addressed or improved.  The inconsistency of G Davis is still there.   His lackadaisical route against the Jets cost us the game.  Another baffling drop against Wash.  I've seen enough, the trial is over.  Do what it takes to get a stud WR - M Evans or C Kupp.  

Our GM and Coaches have been steadfast that all Brown needed was full offseason and no surgeries. They were asked about this on several occasions. 

They had their chance in the Draft to select an OT in the 3rd, but instead drafted a 223 pound linebacker from Tulane, a depth WR, a Corner and another Guard. 

The cap was maxed out in Free Agency, so the obvious upgrade was not there. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. The improvement is that he now stands out as such. Last year we had three guys out there who had no business as NFL starters (and bear in mind Brown wasn't even good in the run game in 2022, he was as a rookie and has been decent run blocking so far this year... in 2022 he was bad at everything). 

One thing I noticed in the last two games is that seemed often when Brown was "beaten in Pass protection", It almost seemed as if Brown was getting beaten, he then let himself get beat inside on purpose, and Allen was already rolling right simultaneously with Brown being beaten.   The Bills version of Jujitsu.

Edited by Chaos

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree.  The OLine and Spencer both seem improved.  Of course they could improve more.

Meanwhile our real "biggest problem on offense"  (WR2) does not seem to have been addressed or improved.  The inconsistency of G Davis is still there.   His lackadaisical route against the Jets cost us the game.  Another baffling drop against Wash.  I've seen enough, the trial is over.  Do what it takes to get a stud WR - M Evans or C Kupp.  

10 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

I couldnt agree more with this.  Josh needs another weapon he can trust and Gabe is NOT the answer

Yes.

Cook's speed has improved the running back room, but the other other gap in our team that hasn't been solved is speed at WR. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

14 hours ago, Simon said:

Bills biggest problem is a lack of playmakers in the pass game beyond Diggs.

Just running more non-separators and ball-droppers out on passing plays doesn't resolve the issue of Gabe Davis or Dawson Knox not being able to elevate their games to be a top second option despite Allen being great.    They both tend to need Allen to run around and buy time for them to make much of an impact.

The Bills still need another very good WR to elevate their offense to the very top.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Our GM and Coaches have been steadfast that all Brown needed was full offseason and no surgeries. They were asked about this on several occasions. 

They had their chance in the Draft to select an OT in the 3rd, but instead drafted a 223 pound linebacker from Tulane, a depth WR, a Corner and another Guard. 

The cap was maxed out in Free Agency, so the obvious upgrade was not there. 

The 220 some pound LB they drafted in the 3rd round last year seems to be working out.  Rather than just random criticism, can I ask you to go back to that 3rd round or lower and identify a T that could have been drafted who is currently starting and playing at a higher level than brown?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The 220 some pound LB they drafted in the 3rd round last year seems to be working out.  Rather than just random criticism, can I ask you to go back to that 3rd round or lower and identify a T that could have been drafted who is currently starting and playing at a higher level than brown?

Dawand Jones taken in the 4th Round by the Browns. 

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

One thing I noticed in the last two games is that seemed often when Brown was "beaten in Pass protection", It almost seemed as if Brown was getting beaten, he himself get beat inside on purpose, and Allen was already rolling right simultaneously with Brown being beaten.   The Bills version of Jujitsu.

Would be interesting to ask the brain trust for the Bills O about this

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Dawand Jones taken in the 4th Round by the Browns. 

So one guy?  And not that I’m a big believer in PFF rankings but they have Brown ranked above Jones.

Thanks for trying.

Edited by oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I mean I'd love another elite wr but i just don't see it happening with the cap, Idk , I really like Gabe , he had a phenomenal week 2, big TD last week.  Ya he's a bit inconsistent but we could do alot worse at WR2. I think he's top 10 WR2. 

In the AFC the only with better WR2s are

Mia

LAC , well not anymore with Williams down

Cincy

That's it.

You can argue Denver with Jeudy and Pitt with Dionte Johnson i guess but I'd still take Gabe personally 

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

One thing I noticed in the last two games is that seemed often when Brown was "beaten in Pass protection", It almost seemed as if Brown was getting beaten, he himself get beat inside on purpose, and Allen was already rolling right simultaneously with Brown being beaten.   The Bills version of Jujitsu.

I have always been of the view that if the other 4 are solid Josh can work around a below par RT. 

I'd still spend my assets on another receiver before a right tackle.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Also, let's see on Bernard, we're not totally out of the woods yet. 

In the Jets game he crashed the line to stop the run and was swallowed and pushed out of the way. 

You'll hear no complaints out of me if he continues to gather sacks and turnovers of course, but I wouldn't say it's problem solved just yet. 

When a team wants to run at the Bills, can they stop it. I still think that question needs answered. Josh Jacobs and the Raiders are way off this year from what they were in 2022. 

I just watched the Bills 3 RBs and 2 TEs combine for a grand total of about 30yrds receiving (or about 6 yrds per player) because they're busy spending half the game playing RT. It's a problem just about every week, regardless of whether they win.

So, our other whipping boy (Dorsey) is hamstrung in his play calling by shoddy RT play? 

I think we have two weak spots on the offense..

RT and WR2

-RT we can scheme to help.  There's also the "hope" he continues to improve.

-WR2 we can't necessarily scheme up help .. he has to win his routes.. and unless Gabe steps up, he is holding us back.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have always been of the view that if the other 4 are solid Josh can work around a below par RT. 

I'd still spend my assets on another receiver before a right tackle

Josh, Allen escapability skllls are probably the best in NFL history and what I saw the last couple of games could entirely be that. However, I am suggesting there is an element of design and what is happening and that Josh knows what direction Brown is going to let the defender beat him, if need be. And that a certain count in his head Allen is going to confidently roll right knowing the DE assigned to Brown is not

going to be an issue. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes, I'm sure you've watched a lot of Dawand Jones my apologies. 

As I pointed out since so many fawn over PFF around here, Brown is ranked higher.  Sorry if that also escaped you.  And since you brought up Jones as a guy that you apparently think is better than Brown, tell me how many Browns games you’ve watched.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Of course.  When the Bills do something good, it’s because the other team is bad.  When the other team does something good, it’s because the Bills are bad.  

This is why I brought up why some in the fan base seem to need to have something, usually an individual player, to criticize.  

That's fine oldman, the Dolphins just ran for over 300 yards. 

The Bills (and Bernard) shut them down, or hold them to reasonable yardage, I will readily admit I'm wrong. 

I think media, some fans, see the Commanders game: 2 sacks, a FR, and a Interception (great) and conclude we're all set. 

I do think the risk is there that he is small against the run. 

Can't have it all, and for sure he's been much better than I thought he'd be. His last game matched Edmunds best game ever and he had 5 years here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.