Mahomes and Chiefs restructure contract 😳

DJB

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1703847138982006793?s=20

The Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes have restructured his agreement, giving him $210.6 million between 2023 and 2026, the most money in NFL history over a four season span. His compensation for those years is now guaranteed. Also, the Chiefs and Mahomes plan to re-visit the agreement again after the 2026 season, as told to ESPN by Equity Sports CEO, Chris Cabott, who negotiated the deal on behalf of Mahomes.

Edited by DJB
  • Agree 1

So, now he makes 52 mil per year, for the next 4 years, all guaranteed? Plus, he’s a FA when this is done.   

Is that correct?

I wonder why this happened when it did.  Did Mahomes request this because he felt underpaid?

He now makes the Watson deal not the standard for contracts.  I have to assume this is the deal that make’s guaranteed deals a real thing in the NFL.  

This is quietly huge and game changing 

Edited by Virgil
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Virgil said:

So, now he makes 52 mil per year, for the next 4 years, all guaranteed?  

Is that correct?

I wonder why this happened when it did.  Did Mahomes request this because he felt underpaid?

After watching Burrow perform through 2 weeks he went knocking on that GM door with hands out.

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, DJB said:

https://x.com/FanDuel/status/1703847528112787701?s=20

Not sure why my links are embedding like usual  but this link is hilarious hahah

it has to do with the switch from twitter to x.  If you open it and change the link from x.com to twitter.com it will load correctly.  Not sure if that's a twitter thing or a TBD thing not embedding it correctly.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

So, now he makes 52 mil per year, for the next 4 years, all guaranteed? Plus, he’s a FA when this is done.   

Is that correct?

He now makes the Watson deal not the standard for contracts.  I have to assume this is the deal that make’s guaranteed deals a real thing in the NFL.  

This is quietly huge and game changing 

Yes the standard when you can argue you are equivalent to Mahomes and should get the same deal and contract terms...except there isn't anyone else who can at this point and likely won't be in the future either outside of 1 or 2 players.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Yes the standard when you can argue you are equivalent to Mahomes and should get the same deal and contract terms...except there isn't anyone else who can at this point and likely won't be in the future either outside of 1 or 2 players.

I agree with you logically.  However, players and agents don’t operate that way.  Every new contract for a top 10 guy will demand to beat this. 

On some level, I hope Tua stays healthy and wins a playoff game.  That contract could cripple the Dolphins.  

Also, Chiefs are going to be hard pressed to buy anyone else to support Mahomes.   Should be interesting 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I agree with you logically.  However, players and agents don’t operate that way.  Every new contract for a top 10 guy will demand to beat this. 

On some level, I hope Tua stays healthy and wins a playoff game.  That contract could cripple the Dolphins.  

Also, Chiefs are going to be hard pressed to buy anyone else to support Mahomes.   Should be interesting 

Yeah I know...it's crazy how this works for some positions but not other positions...

Willing to bet NFL teams know there is going to be a massive cap increase coming next year---even more than what we already know is coming from the new TV Contracts.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

People always get pissed off when every time a new QB contract is posted, I mention what a bargain Josh's contract is.  So I won't do that.

Because it's not a bargain. It simply got negotiated two years ago. Every (absurd) new contract is richer than the last.  

• Disagree 2

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

it has to do with the switch from twitter to x.  If you open it and change the link from x.com to twitter.com it will load correctly.  Not sure if that's a twitter thing or a TBD thing not embedding it correctly.

Hmm I tried that and it didn’t work. I must simply be too stupid lol

They did this to give Mahomes more guaranteed money and cap flexibility next year. Probably to take care of Kelce and CJ. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

They did this to give Mahomes more guaranteed money and cap flexibility next year. Probably to take care of Kelce and CJ. 

Treat me like a child here because I don’t get that.  If it’s all fully guaranteed, how does that give them more flexibility?  Doesn’t that lock them into a hard number that can’t be touched or divided?   I thought only bonuses or deals spread out could be messed with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Knew he wasn’t going to play the entire 10 years under that $45M/yr amount, but I didn’t think the pay raise would happen so quickly. AND include another option to renegotiate for even more after the raise expires. Josh’s agent is licking his lips somewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

“It’s not about being the highest-paid guy,” Mahomes said. “It’s not about making a ton of money. I’ve made enough money where I’ll be set for the rest of my life. But at the same time, you got to find that line where you’re making a good amount of money but you’re still keeping like great players around you so you can win these Super Bowls and you’re able to compete in these games.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article275756221.html#storylink=cpy

Treat me like a child here because I don’t get that.  If it’s all fully guaranteed, how does that give them more flexibility?  Doesn’t that lock them into a hard number that can’t be touched or divided?   I thought only bonuses or deals spread out could be messed with. 

I’m no expert either. I think what this does is move money from the later years up so his cashflow can be comparable to his value to the team. He was far behind the other top qbs in the league in terms of cashflow. They will most likely convert compensation to signing bonus so his cap hit would be less in the next few years. This deal doesn’t replace his existing deal. He still has years on the contract. This just move money upfront for him. Good for KC taking care of their guy. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, DJB said:

Hmm I tried that and it didn’t work. I must simply be too stupid lol

yea it didn't work for me at first either.  Sometimes the posts copy as twitter.com and sometimes they copy as x.com.  It's stupid on its own.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

7 years later & still the ugliest MF-er in the league:sick:

Not even close.  Very punchable face but definitely not the ugliest.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

“It’s not about being the highest-paid guy,” Mahomes said. “It’s not about making a ton of money. I’ve made enough money where I’ll be set for the rest of my life. But at the same time, you got to find that line where you’re making a good amount of money but you’re still keeping like great players around you so you can win these Super Bowls and you’re able to compete in these games.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article275756221.html#storylink=cpy

Lip service. Same with Joe Burrow, all these guys want to be paid as much as they can get, regardless of how it hampers the team. It’s not shocking. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

Immediately thought of Mike Evans. 

Bucs are 2-0 and Baker is actually playing well. They have Eagles this week and some winnable games after.

Bucs also have a history of letting older players ride out their contract and hit the market. More times than not it works out like it did with Lavonte David this year and they end up getting them back at a reasonable price. I don't see them moving Evans.

49 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Dolphins are an interesting like... all-in case?  They added Armstead, Ramsay, Hill, and Chubb's deals to a young core and it seems to be working.  

But they have a lot of contributors on rookie deals beyond Tua, and they were all drafted in a condensed little window when they had like 20 picks in 2 years.  Just a weird example of a team drafting a ton of talent in rounds 1/2 over a 2 year period, and getting to the end of those deals and having to make tough decisions all at once. 

5th year options and tags are just killers in your ability to maneuver in free agency (all cap hit, can't restructure) - and they have 4 of those coming up quickly (Tua, Jackson - he sucks but lets include him for this exercise, Waddle, Phillips) - as well as likely tag usage in 2024 (Wilkins) and 2025 (Holland). It's no wonder they traded Igbinoghene - even if he improved they wouldn't have been able to add him to a 5th year if they wanted to.  

15 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Chiefs get an extra $3M or so in cap space from this. The cap is a weird thing...give a guy more money sooner and you get more money to spend. 

Where did you see this?   Not because I don’t believe you, but because I would like to see a breakdown 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I fully expect Josh Allen’s camp to push for something similar 

When Josh reaches a Superbowl, maybe.  For now other than he's a stud QB, he hasn't reached any of the criteria (MVP, SB, etc) that Burrough or Mahomes  or Lamar have reached.

• Vomit 1

31 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Not happening.  I can hear it now..." you want what? Patrick has how many MVP's,Superbowl wins and Superbowl MVP's".  *click* 

7 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

When Josh reaches a Superbowl, maybe.  For now other than he's a stud QB, he hasn't reached any of the criteria (MVP, SB, etc) that Burrough or Mahomes  or Lamar have reached.

These sound like wishful thinking to me. Maybe Josh takes less than he could actually get, but to think he won’t get money in the same area or exceed those contracts isn’t realistic. Hurts and Herbert got a ton of money, Tua and Lawrence are gonna get paid-Josh will get a significant bump when he renegotiates 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.