Josh is accurate

transplantbillsfan

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

When he starts to realize that this is how he is going to have to play over the long haul from now on then he'll become a SB winning QB. The question is can he continue to play like this without regressing back to hero ball/josh has to do everything status.

I think that if the “coaches “ quickly rein him in when he back slides we will be fine, but they need to actually do it. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

It’s been his glaring “IF” since 2019. 

He is his own worst enemy. 

Reid coached it out of Mahomes...do we have someone that can convince Allen that it is in the team's AND his best interest to do the same? Although Mahomes did the exact same thing against the Jags on almost the exact same throw...it was only once tho.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

It’s been his glaring “IF” since 2019. 

He is his own worst enemy. 

Agreed and from time to he will revert to Sugar High Josh and we have to live with that.  BUT if 85-90% of the time he can play more like yesterday, we are in great shape.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

It goes back to the only way to stop this offense is when they decide to stop themselves.

Correct.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think accuracy was the problem at the Jets. It was all mental. Decision making. Not just when to go deep and what to go short but also when to trust the protection, when to bail the pocket, when to run. 

Totally agree and would just add the obvious, the Jets D has plenty to do with speeding up Allen’s decision making.

They’re game plan for the Bills offense has been excellent.

7 minutes ago, julian said:

Totally agree and would just add the obvious, the Jets D has plenty to do with speeding up Allen’s decision making.

They’re game plan for the Bills offense has been excellent.

Yea the Jets are clearly a good defense. I think they are a bit better in Josh's head than they were on the field on Monday. But they are talented and they have two elite players in Q and Sauce. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

When he starts to realize that this is how he is going to have to play over the long haul from now on then he'll become a SB winning QB. The question is can he continue to play like this without regressing back to hero ball/josh has to do everything status.

The regression comes when... nobody can make a play.  So he tries to take it upon himself to do it sometimes.  

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Agreed and from time to he will revert to Sugar High Josh and we have to live with that.  BUT if 85-90% of the time he can play more like yesterday, we are in great shape.

Correct.

As long as the other 10-15% ain't in the post season 

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Ecstatic about the high completion percentage, but we really need to stop equating completion percentage with accuracy, which is all about ball placement and not necessarily passes that are caught.

🤔

• Like (+1) 1

The negativity towards this great QB and savior of a  franchise that was the definition of futility, is an embarrassment to every rational, objective supporter. Now is a mega talented, driven leader of a team capable of trying to do to much, of course. His performance against the Jets was his worst game since he was a rookie, but the mindless, unappreciative career defining pronouncements about his viability as a winning QB is sickening. Hopefully he doesn’t read this nonsense because this guy has given Bills fans more thrills than we’ve had in 20 long years.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 9/17/2023 at 7:11 PM, ToGoGo said:

It was the first week of the season on MNF against a great defense. 

Excuses are for losers.  He sucked in week 1 and costs us the game against a team playing a sad sack backup.  Could cost us home field.  He's not a rookie or even early in his career.  It's his 6th season.  

He played great Sunday like we know he can when he has his head screwed on straight.  That's what we need to see every week even if the opposition has a great defense and its MNF.

No excuses offered. None accepted.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Excuses are for losers.  He sucked in week 1 and costs us the game against a team playing a sad sack backup.  Could cost us home field.  He's not a rookie or even early in his career.  It's his 6th season.  

He played great Sunday like we know he can when he has his head screwed on straight.  That's what we need to see every week even if the opposition has a great defense and its MNF.

No excuses offered. None accepted.

We’ll thank God we got people like you holding losers like Allen accountable. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

We’ll thank God we got people like you holding losers like Allen accountable. 

I never said Josh is a loser.  Thanks for typing words in my mouth.

I said excuses are for losers, like well it was MNF and the Jets have a great defense (Dallas didn't have much trouble scoring against them).

Josh doesn't make excuses for his play so why should we? I'm a HUGE Josh fan.  But when he messes up I don't think it hurts my fan cred to say so.  He's the Buffalo Bills QB, not he who shall not be criticized.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:49 PM, JoPoy88 said:

and that’s fine - the way the defensive trends have evolved over the past 2-3 seasons may necessitate that. 

I’m pumped I think Allen can evolve to this - what I don’t appreciate is OP and his constant minimizing and shifting blame when Allen does have a bad game (which is okay!) but lame.

Meanwhile Chase wants to change the offense and go deep haha

Times are tough for the Cincinnati Bengals right now.

The Bengals have gotten off to an 0-2 start and rank dead last in the NFL in total offense, averaging just 212 yards per game. They have mustered just 27 points over the first two weeks of the season.

Wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase thinks one of the solutions to Cincy’s offensive struggles is throwing the deep ball more frequently.

“(Got to get) some go routes in there − just some downfield shots that way we can come back to anything else underneath,” Chase told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We really haven’t taken that many shots downfield. If you look at the last two games, you don’t really see that many shots downfield. We have got to take more shots downfield. That’s why we have deep-threat guys. Take a chance.”

Star quarterback Joe Burrow has struggled mightily in the Bengals’ first two games, throwing for just 304 yards, two touchdowns and an interception while completing a paltry 56.9 percent of his passes and posting a passer rating of 70.6. To make matters worse, Burrow is dealing with a calf injury that has his status for Week 3’s Monday night matchup against the Los Angeles Rams in question.

Chase’s impact has been limited thus far. The third-year wide out has logged 10 catches for just 70 yards, a rather uncharacteristic lack of production for the downfield burner.

The 23-year-old, who played his collegiate football at LSU, was selected by Cincinnati with the fifth overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft.

Chase burst on to the scene during his rookie campaign, hauling in 81 receptions for 1,455 yards and 13 touchdowns, earning himself a trip to the Pro Bowl. Most importantly, he helped propel the Bengals to a Super Bowl appearance.

Then, last year, Ja’Marr Chase caught 87 passes for 1,046 yards and nine scores, making the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive season.

• Agree 1

On 9/18/2023 at 12:38 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow... should I buy furniture? Didn't even know I had all that free rental space in your head.

As for your accusations, I assume you're referring to this thread:

...and thanks for bringing it up... only one game, but a lot of what I said there seems valid.

Nothing what you say is valid, because you’ve plainly shown your bias over many, many threads here since Allen’s arrived.

I get it, I like Allen too - who doesn’t? His performance is pivotal to the teams’ potential success. But you’re not a Bills fan, you’re a Josh Allen stan. He is all you ever talk about.

Again, tops in accuracy through 2 weeks! Where’s that MVP watch thread? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Meanwhile Chase wants to change the offense and go deep haha

I mean Chase can complain all he wants and having a gimpy QB isn’t helping for sure, but this trend by NFL defenses began a few seasons ago because of players like him and QBs like Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. No one wants to get roasted over the top anymore and NFL defenses are selling out to prevent that.

30 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Nothing what you say is valid, because you’ve plainly shown your bias over many, many threads here since Allen’s arrived.

I get it, I like Allen too - who doesn’t? His performance is pivotal to the teams’ potential success. But you’re not a Bills fan, you’re a Josh Allen stan. He is all you ever talk about.

Again, tops in accuracy through 2 weeks! Where’s that MVP watch thread? 

Why does Allen leading the league in comp% make you upset?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

You can hate me. I really don't care. I've gotten many nights of sleep on that sleep number bed I bought for that apartment.

I could afford the bed because it was that free, beautiful 1 bedroom in your head.

But dismissing facts because of the messenger might just show your own bias rather than mine.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Highest completion percentage through 2 games of any QB in the NFL.

76.9%

On 9/17/2023 at 6:32 PM, Augie said:

You will get in trouble for this. I’m warning you!   

This made me laugh.

There are some excellent posters here who think that facts like "27-year old Josh Allen has 5 career games with 3 Pass TDs while completing at least 80% of his passes... the most before turning 30 in NFL history" have no value.

I believe their argument is that you can arrange a cluster of data points in a way as to misrepresent a player's abilities. I disagree for the most part.

For one thing how many NFL QBs have thrown 3 TD passes while completing over 80% of their passes even once? Doing it one time is a great accomplishment in my mind.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

The fairly widely-held belief that Josh is inaccurate is one of the laziest takes out there and one which shows that a person is not watching the games.

It's actually been very obvious for a long time that if Josh chose to (or was coached to) that he could execute a Brady-type, quick timing, horizontal attack flawlessly. In that mode he flicks his wrist like he's throwing darts at a dart board. He's virtually unstoppable.

In Josh's best season (2020) he completed 69.2% of his throws. In 23 seasons, Brady's highest completion percentage was 68.9%

Yes, he's accurate, although not as consistently so as someone like, say, Brees.

But no, completion percentage does not equal accuracy. Not necessarily even very close.

Just as an example, in 2008, Trent Edwards was 6th in completion percentage, and less than 2% out of 1st place. It wasn't because he was one of the most accurate throwers in the league.

The two have a very basic confluence but there is much more to accuracy.

49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You can hate me. I really don't care. I've gotten many nights of sleep on that sleep number bed I bought for that apartment.

I could afford the bed because it was that free, beautiful 1 bedroom in your head.

But dismissing facts because of the messenger might just show your own bias rather than mine.

Hey, how's Tyrod? Is he still "near-elite" as you so famously said? Oh, and aren't you the guy who said before the draft that Josh Allen had no chance whatsoever to be successful?

You've showed wildly powerful bias again and again, let's be honest here.

It's your M.O.

You  have literally spent hundreds of thousands of words, multiple novels worth, on this forum and the other about how Tyrod's high completion percentage showed that he was accurate ... and one of the better QBs in the league.

Conflating completion percentage and accuracy was dumb then, it's dumb now, and it will always be dumb.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hey, how's Tyrod? Is he still "near-elite"? Oh, and aren't you the guy who said before the draft that Josh Allen had no chance whatsoever to be successful?

It's your M.O.

A guy liking his team's QB is nowhere near as weird as Bills fans inventing a bunch of reasons why Allen's not as good as is pretty much universally agreed upon elsewhere

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

A guy liking his team's QB is nowhere near as weird as Bills fans inventing a bunch of reasons why Allen's not as good as is pretty much universally agreed upon elsewhere

Please. 

Nobody has a problem with a guy liking his team's QB. Wildly overestimating every regular QB your team has, though, is embarrassing, and good evidence of poor thinking.

Praise God, the Bills have finally got a QB who is pretty damn difficult to overestimate. But Trans did it with every regular Bills QB. Every one. It's good evidence of severe confirmation bias.

Mind you, everyone has confirmation bias to some degree. I spend a lot of time examining my thoughts to try to eliminate it. I'm sure I don't succeed anywhere near completely. But some people don't fight and instead joyfully ride the wave.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please. 

Nobody has a problem with a guy liking his team's QB. Wildly overestimating every regular QB your team has, though, is embarrassing, and good evidence of poor thinking.

Praise God, the Bills have finally got a QB who is pretty damn difficult to overestimate. But Trans did it with every regular Bills QB. Every one. It's good evidence of severe confirmation bias.

Mind you, everyone has confirmation bias to some degree. I spend a lot of time examining my thoughts to try to eliminate it. I'm sure I don't succeed anywhere near completely. But some people don't fight and instead joyfully ride the wave.

I'm saying it's understandable, unlike the people who are legitimately upset at someone creating a thread to celebrate a good performance

The same people, mind you, who couldn't wait to bury Allen after week 1

So you know what, I answered my own question. They're disappointed after that Raiders game. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm saying it's understandable, unlike the people who are legitimately upset at someone creating a thread to celebrate a good performance

The same people, mind you, who couldn't wait to bury Allen after week 1

So you know what, I answered my own question. They're disappointed after that Raiders game. 

Come on, man, you're doing the same thing you did in the last post, completely making up the motives of the people you disagree with. Which is full of crap. 

Nobody is "upset at someone creating a thread to celebrate a good performance." There were plenty of threads like that that did not get any kickback.

People are attacking poor thinking here. Attacking poor thinking only makes sense. Tyrod had some good performances too. Nobody denies that. But the extreme overestimation of his talents, and the distortion of the meaning of statistics are things that absolutely should be pointed out as poor logic, not able to be legitimately backed up.

Allen is accurate. He's not as consistently accurate as we'd all like. He's one of the best QBs in the league playing overall at an elite level.

Absolutely none of which forgives the poor logical connection of equating completion percentage and accuracy.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Come on, man, you're doing the same thing you did in the last post, completely making up the motives of the people you disagree with. Which is full of crap. 

Nobody is "upset at someone creating a thread to celebrate a good performance." There were plenty of thread like that that did not get any kickback.

People are attacking poor thinking here. Attacking poor thinking only makes sense. Tyrod had some good performances too. Nobody denies that. But the extreme overestimation of his talents, and the distortion of the meaning of statistics are things that absolutely should be pointed out as poor logic, not able to be backed up.

Allen is accurate. He's not as consistently accurate as we'd all like. He's one of the best QBs in the league playing overall at an elite level.

Absolutely none of which forgives the poor logical connection of equating completion percentage and accuracy.

And I suppose all these people who are so consistent in divesting comp% from accuracy are making similar arguments in threads about Allen being inaccurate😂😂

The answer's no, if you were wondering

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

While completion percentage and accuracy are not the same thing, please name me the players you think are the most accurate throwers in NFL history and then show me their completion percentages relative to their peers...

You don't actually have to do this of course... my point is that you are overstating your argument.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hey, how's Tyrod? Is he still "near-elite" as you so famously said? Oh, and aren't you the guy who said before the draft that Josh Allen had no chance whatsoever to be successful?

It's your M.O.

You  have literally spent hundreds of thousands of words, multiple novels worth, on this forum and the other about how Tyrod's high completion percentage showed that he was accurate ... and one of the better QBs in the league.

Conflating completion percentage and accuracy was dumb then, it's dumb now, and it will always be dumb.

I don’t get your aggressive attack of a dude that is simply fanatical about and loves to talk about our QBs in a positive light. Since when has being a fan deserved to be treated like trash? Then again, I have always disliked your ego and posting like you are better than everybody else style you have. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.