Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

What's the over / under on the reporter Trotter is quoting actually being present at the dinner vs. having heard from someone else?

It's not like the press on either side of this country's political divide has anything remotely like an unblemished track record for just reporting the facts. 

Enough people have popped up in this thread saying they don't care if Terry actually said those exact things, he's guilty of being a white billion which makes him racist by default. 

And if you're of that mind set, it sure sounds like what a white racist billion would say. So there's no harm in attributing it to him. 

If you're going to misrepresent me, at least make it something funny.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's a poor justification. Individuals are not a court of law, just like private enterprise is not the federal government.

I’m confused—you asked why we should start with the default of believing a defendant over an allegation to start…so I explained why that’s fundamental due process? 

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’m confused—you asked why we should start with the default of believing a defendant over an allegation to start…so I explained why that’s fundamental due process? 

Whether any of us individually believe the alleged quote attributed to Pegula has nothing to due with legal due process.

I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m not a bigot, so please don’t kill me, and I don’t expect this to be a popular post, but didn’t Mohammed Ali say the same thing? I’d like to know the full context of the alleged statement. Perhaps, if this was actually said on this Zoom meeting, the full context need be understood. I still have a hard time believing any man with so much to lose would blindly make this statement, let alone a man who’s married to a minority, one who has children with this minority, and one whose daughter dated a black player. 

What if the whole statement was “We aren’t here saying; if the black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it really is; we want everyone to win. It’s important for us to ensure our players know we value them and want them to feel appreciated, we also need to convey a unified message to the world so we don’t damage the image of the league and lose the opportunity for these men to see continually larger paychecks and more revenue for us to help lift up our local communities.”

If there’s one thing, we should all know, it’s that you can absolutely not trust anything from the media, and not trust them to not twist words to make a story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

The allegation says during a zoom conference that Trotter was part of with other NFL reporters (employees), an unnamed reporter brought up a conversation that he/she with Terry.   Trotter would not have heard the comment directly, as the unnamed reporter was recalling comments made at a different time and place.  Trotter's complaint is that the NFL didn't investigate the allegation that these comments were made in a satisfactory manner.

Yes, correct. Sorry, I was rushing and was going to say "having/had". I hit the edit button but forgot to include the change.

Nevertheless, the larger point remains: facts IN the Statement of Allegations do NOT say--at all/precisely--how or where the racial statement took place (meeting or not), nor does it provide context. Emphasis on what is actually in the Statement, not on what is being reported.

Why is this important, in terms of the overall Statement? It's a tell.

See, for example, the preceding Sec C, which is sequenced, detailed and precise regarding the interaction with J Jones (I realize this was a direct conversation).

Obviously, the lawyer is an advocate for her/his client so I don't expect an argument for the other side.

But, in fantasy land, the Statement should/could say something like:

"Following the meeting, Mr Trotter-as an experienced reporter--obtained further information and confirmed the Pegula statement from Unnamed Reporter. Mr Trotter and the UR subsequently had additional, direct conversations about the matter, etc"

The problem: the above is not in the Statement; it is implied, and obtusely at that.

TLDR: I'm only making the point that there are holes that will be exploited. Who knows how it turns out.

Ok, I'm done, but thanks. Too much time on this already. Geez, this board sucks you in...

4 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

True or not, Pegula has been labeled, this will be protacted and reverberate far.

Recent history has shown white wealthy men don't fare well in these situations.

Won't somebody think of the poor wealthy white men?!?!?! =(

That being said....it's an accusation without any substance as of yet. Pass on punt god 2.0. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They cut him loose after saying they didn't see any reason why they would not renew his contract and even asked if he wanted to expand his responsibilities.  But after he brought up for a second year in a row at the SB press conference why NFL Media didn't have anyone of color at the top editorial spots, Goodell had enough.  Weeks later they told his agent they didn't want him anymore.

He also referenced a quote; I can’t believe what you say because I see what you do, to the guy in charge in front of the organization. 

I mean I wouldn’t expect to keep my job if I called the ceo a liar in front of the whole organization no matter what the topic. 

but I encourage others to prove this is in fact an excellent career move 🙄 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Pegula already came out and said these disgusting comments are 100% not his and he never said anything like that

You read that on the internet didn't you?

But that doesn't mean people don't lie. Until there are actual facts, then this is just nonsense if you ask me

13 minutes ago, Pecos Bills said:

Whether any of us individually believe the alleged quote attributed to Pegula has nothing to due with legal due process.

Respectfully, it should—otherwise we pillory others based on anything said by anyone regardless of source or any semblance of reliability? That’s something we should all push back against, regardless of your opinions. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Seems like a strange to say when the daughter was literally dating an African American player.

That last part is not protective against racism, unfortunately.

Friend's brother married African American woman, had biracial child.  She eventually divorced him because of all the racist stuff his relatives and friends would say in front of her and their child, that he neither put a stop to or stood up against.

Note, I'm not saying that Pegula said what's attributed to him - he denies it so in my book he gets the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I'm just saying that unfortunately, having a daughter once date a person of another race does not mean the father can not be racist in his views.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Respectfully, it should—otherwise we pillory others based on anything said by anyone regardless of source or any semblance of reliability? That’s something we should all push back against, regardless of your opinions. 

Nah, people are absolutely free to make their own private determination as to the reliability of sources and accusations in publicly-reported stories like this one. Due process is for government, period. I'm withholding judgment on this particular case as of now, but I'm by no means bound by a "presumption of facts in [anyone's] favor."

1 minute ago, Pecos Bills said:

Nah, people are absolutely free to make their own private determination as to the reliability of sources and accusations in publicly-reported stories like this one. Due process is for government, period. I'm withholding judgment on this particular case as of now, but I'm by no means bound by a "presumption of facts in [anyone's] favor."

But you realize it won’t be the government asked to decide on the accuracy of those statements, right? It will be a 6-12 person civil jury made up of people like you and me…I would hope they are in fact bound by those presumptions, otherwise they don’t even need to hear any evidence (which in turn must pass basic rules of reliability/admissibility) first? Of course you’re entitled to your opinions, but I’m just asking the board at large to consider that what happens in the court of public opinion often turns out to be premature and just flat wrong after legal process has wrapped. 

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

But you realize it won’t be the government asked to decide on the accuracy of those statements, right? It will be a 6-12 person civil jury made up of people like you and me…I would hope they are in fact bound by those presumptions, otherwise they don’t even need to hear any evidence (which in turn must pass basic rules of reliability/admissibility) first? Of course you’re entitled to your opinions, but I’m just asking the board at large to consider that what happens in the court of public opinion often turns out to be premature and just flat wrong after legal process has wrapped. 

That jury will be acting on behalf of the government, and they will be given detailed instructions on their responsibilities by a judge. Just clarifying that due process is for real courts, not the court of public opinion, and I also know Terry Pegula and the NFL are perfectly capable of sticking up for themselves.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Exactly. This is a small portion of the lawsuit that Florio pulled out and xcreated because it's the most sensational part of the document. It also fits his narrative of a team in collapse.

Florio didn't break this story.  Every media outlet broke it and quoted the same sensation parts of the suit.  

No one "excreated" it

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Suits = public record. He or his atty knew darn right that naming names of NFL owners would get picked up by the ESPNS of the world as well as message boards like this—no such thing as “buried” in a high profile suit. Otherwise why even insert incendiary nuggets like these??

If they are true, they bolster his case.  Why would he exclude them?

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He also referenced a quote; I can’t believe what you say because I see what you do, to the guy in charge in front of the organization. 

I mean I wouldn’t expect to keep my job if I called the ceo a liar in front of the whole organization no matter what the topic. 

but I encourage others to prove this is in fact an excellent career move 🙄 

Which quote did he reference in his press conference question to Goodell?

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

If the unnamed reporter who stated on a Zoom call that Pegula made these comments were mistaken about who said it or the exact comments, would he admit it?

How would he realize he was mistaken so that he may admit it?  The story is he heard Pegula say it.  Pegula can only deny it.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Florio didn't break this story.  Every media outlet broke it and quoted the same sensation parts of the suit.  

No one "excreated" it

If they are true, they bolster his case.  Why would he exclude them?

I was simply responding to your post prior to mine, wherein you said,  “Trotter isn't really publicly declaring this.  It's buried in a suit…” To which I responded there is no such thing as burying something in a public filing where names this prominent are featured. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.