Where is the data to suggest that things will change?

Virgil

The first week of the season was interesting, to say the least.  There were some scores and performances that were truly head scratchers.  While I could use the term "any given Sunday" for a lot of those games, the Bills game just feels different.  This didn't feel like a fluke game for Josh, the players, and the coaches.  No, this felt like the game right after the Bengals loss.  For me, that's why this game hurts so much.  I don't care that it was against the Jets or on MNF, I care that there is no data to suggest that this team has taken any type of step forward in the areas that matter.  

Now, there were positives in this game

• James Cook was clearly the number one back and did well enough in the role.  
  • Defensive pass rush with Floyd and Groot looked really good.  However, isn't the Jets offensive line not that great?
  • Milano looked like a beast and a true disrupter.  The PF was stupid on his part
  • Bass continues to be solid
  • Diggs got his touches and broke 100 yards

But here's where I'm just plain depressed and am hoping it wears off over the next few days, because right now...I have no reason to be optimistic about this upcoming season

• Dorsey actually looked decent in the first quarter.  Used Harty in a way that made me realize why we signed him.  Ran some power formations that he passed out of.  Overall had some good looks.  Once he ran through his scripted plays, is when things went off the rails
    • Did we run a single 12 man, basic line-up?  I'm talking 5 lineman, 1 TE on both sides, Diggs and Davis on the alternate sides out wide, and Cook in the backfield.  Very simple, very vanilla, just run formation with our guys against yours.  The Jets stayed in the same 4 lineman, 7 in coverage almost the entire game.  The linebackers, 2 or 3 at times, were 4-5 yards off the ball.  Why not just use basic match and say, our 7 guys are going to take out your front 4 and get an easy 3-5 yards each rush.  Run it to every possible gap, and repeat.  Sure, we may not get a first down every time, but do it until the Jets adjust because they would eventually have to.   That's when Josh eats.  This also sets up the play action, so we can use that guy we just spent a number one pick on.  Also, on the game tying drive at by Josh, that was one of the few drives that Josh did well because the Jets started to blitz.  This all seems so obvious to me, but maybe I'm missing something
    • The draw play on the last drive.   Should one play define a coordinators entire game?  No.  But when you run the ball against their best defensive lineman behind your worst offensive lineman, you need to explain that.  Again, maybe I'm stupid, I'm betting on that play to lose 10 times out of 10.
    • Where were the bunch formations?  Jets were in a spread zone and don't move Sauce around.  Bunch the other side of the field and run the tosses, quick screens to that side.  Again, basic math
  • For the first time in Josh's career, I feel like he's peaked.  Great, elite QB's, don't do what Josh did tonight.  It's not the 3 interceptions and fumble, but it kind of is.  It's the fact that everyone knew how the Jets were going to play him.  Hell, even Josh knew and admitted it.  What does he do with this information?  The same thing he always does against defenses like this.  Take the underneath stuff to start the game, get frustrated, and then start pushing it downfield.  The first interception, I gave a pass.  He couldn't have ran with it like some people think because alternate camera angles showed a player waiting for him 7 yards downfield.  That interception was basically a punt.  The second interception was just plain stupid and potentially cost us at least 3 points, as we were a first down away from being in range.  The last two turnovers were all Josh and his lack of concentration.  You want to be elite?  We can't be talking about your ability to think in the 4th quarter.
  • The big play ratio.  Count the big plays between teams?  The Jets had at least 2 and we had zero.  I'm talking chunk yardage plays.  No matter how much the defense changes we are good for at least two a game and it never changes.
  • The big needs.  I've said all offseason that we needed to address OT, MLB, and pass catcher.  We got a pass catcher, but didn't feel the need to use him.  Brown was an absolute liability out there and Dorsey had to give him help on multiple plays.  Bernard got tackled as much by his own feet and teammates as he did the other team.  Dude got absolutely absorbed or blown up on multiple plays.  He did have one good tackle that showed promise, but McD finally stepped up and started bring Rapp into the game more.  Again, I wouldn't be so mad if the obvious weaknesses weren't so damn obvious and we all saw them coming.

So here we are, only 0-1 with a whole season ahead of us.  My problem is, what data is there to suggest that this season is going to be any different from the last 6.  Josh isn't taking the next step and adjusting his issues.  Dorsey doesn't know how to call plays to his players strengths, what is happening on the field, or make second half adjustments.  The defense is great, but gives up enough big plays to keep the other team in it.  We are good enough to beat 70% of the teams, but we can't step up in the big games when it matters.  13 seconds might be the best game of this teams era, but we still lost.  Because that's what we do in the big games.  Some part of our team finds a way to lose. 

I can't get excited for the Raiders and Commanders, because I still expect to win and it will mean nothing.  There's just no data to suggest that this team is going to take the next step and it became obvious in the first game of the season.  There's no data to suggest that this team can make adjustments.  Until further notice, I'm just meh about it all.  

And here's the only truly extreme comment I will make about changes.  I like McD and the culture he created.  But he's also no absorbed in the defense and hands off with the offense.  He's allowed Josh to surround himself with a coordinator that Josh likes and back-ups that are Josh's friends.  Josh needs someone who is going to bench his ass, punch him in the mouth, and make him actually accountable in the moment.  That doesn't exist right now except for Diggs.  That's not enough.  Josh isn't going to change on his own and right now, I don't know who else is going to push him.  If there is a downfall of McD, it will be that.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

" Great, elite QB's, don't do what Josh did tonight"

I mean, I just started a thread earlier about Peyton Manning throwing 6 picks in a primetime game.  And they all have had games like that.

As to the main question of the OP: I was pretty encouraged by literally every other facet of the game for the Bills. I thought the pass rush was way better, the O-line was good, Bernard held up well, Kincaid looked like the guy we hoped he would be, Groot has taken a next step, et al.  

This is a better team than last year.  Josh just has to be better than he was last night.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, I just started a thread earlier about Peyton Manning throwing 6 picks in a primetime game.  And they all have had games like that.

As to the main question of the OP: I was pretty encouraged by literally every other facet of the game for the Bills. I thought the pass rush was way better, the O-line was good, Bernard held up well, Kincaid looked like the guy we hoped he would be, Groot has taken a next step, et al.  

This is a better team than last year.  Josh just has to be better than he was last night.

The difference is, those games with Peyton and others were flukes and one off games.  My point is that this isn't a fluke for Josh anymore.  He's had the most interceptions total over the past 5 years and continues to perform like this against teams who drop 7 in coverage.  Burrow had a terrible week one, but that's not a typical performance for him.  Josh will do this again against the Jets, or any team where he feels like he has to press

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7

A lot of blame is (rightfully so) being put on Josh. However, I believe there are several layers to this onion:

- Allen’s offensive line has him shook, and has had him shook for about a year now. Allen started the game something like 9 of 10 passing before Spencer Brown was bench pressed into his lap. Then Morse got embarrassingly beat by Quinnen Williams on the deep seam interception which rushed Allen’s throw/decision making. Allen was under pressure close to 50% of his dropbacks (stat below). That is unacceptable.

- I believe that there is one mind he respected and trusted in the Bills coaching staff, and that mind is now on the Giants payroll.

- My hypothesis is that Diggs emotions, desire to win and desire get the ball has put pressure on Josh that is not conducive to him playing well. It often feels like Josh is forcing the ball to Diggs.

- Coaching in general has been poor. Why do we only have 2 linebackers on the field when the Jets are playing 13 personnel? We really want a safety playing pseudo-LB?

IMG-2810.jpg

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A lot of blame is (rightfully so) being put on Josh. However, I believe there are several layers to this onion:

- I believe that Allen’s offensive line has him shook. Allen started the game something like 9 of 10 passing before Spencer Brown was bench pressed into his lap. Then Morse got embarrassingly beat by Quinnen Williams on the deep seam interception which rushed Allen’s throw/decision making. Allen was under pressure close to 50% of his dropbacks (stat below). That is unacceptable.

- I believe that there is one mind he respected and trusted in the Bills coaching staff, and that mind is now on the Giants payroll.

- I believe that Diggs emotions, desire to win and desire get the ball has put pressure on Josh that is not conducive to him playing well. It often feels like Josh is forcing the ball to Diggs.

IMG-2810.jpg

https://x.com/SharpFootball/status/1701440484051222921?s=20

I don't know which one to believe.  This tweet says he was pressured the 10th lowest of any other QB this week at 26%

Edited by Virgil

15 minutes ago, Success said:

Are you kidding me? This isn’t a one off performance from JA it’s been a trend.

He’s regressing and not improving. He gets flustered his 👀 get the wild look and watch out.

Right now he’s an inconsistent unpredictable QB. All one has to do is look at his TO numbers.  

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

https://x.com/SharpFootball/status/1701440484051222921?s=20

I don't know which one to believe.  This tweet says he was pressured the 10th lowest of any other QB this week at 26%

He doesn’t cite where he came up with that number, but anyone watching the game could see that Allen was pressured on more than 20% of his dropbacks.

I trust PFF’s number of 43%~.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

He doesn’t cite where he came up with that number, but anyone watching the game could see that Allen was pressured on more than 20% of his dropbacks.

I've always wondered how they take into account self-inflicted pressure. There's a few plays where Josh has a clean pocket and then steps out for no reason, and right into a defender

• Like (+1) 5

Here's the simple data:

1. Turnovers (3 or more): teams week 1 in this category went 1-6

2. Turnover differential (-3 or worse): teams went 2-5

I honestly felt like this is where we'd improve this season.  The coaches, and Allen in particular, have been harping all offseason about it.  Needs fixed immediately.  And as much as Josh says it's not a "snowballing effect", to me it is.  We can see it all over his face, he needs someone to get keep him "mentally" calm/brush off when mistakes happen.  Bc he will turn the ball over/make dumb decisions, they just need to be limited and not compounded.  It's Kyle Allen/Joe Brady needing to help fill that role on the sideline.

Moving on, 1 week doesn't make or break the season.  It's the mental toughness that's needed right now.  You learn that best when in adversity/tough losses, we've seen it before, but we need to snap into a different gear now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Josh needs someone who is going to bench his ass, punch him in the mouth, and make him actually accountable in the moment. 

I made a similar comment in another thread. It all comes down to discipline, and Josh played without any.

I remember in his first or second season when he threw a bone-headed pick and Daboll went ballistic on him. (I think McD sent Daboll up to the booth for subsequent games.) But that's what Josh needed at the time. Maybe Dorsey should call plays from the sideline and lay into Josh every now and then. We know Dorsey has a temper - Josh needs to see it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Allen's created more pressure on himself.  Just because he bails doesn't mean he's pressured.

He had zero pocket awareness last night.  He bailed on clean pockets a lot.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The difference is, those games with Peyton and others were flukes and one off games.  My point is that this isn't a fluke for Josh anymore.  He's had the most interceptions total over the past 5 years and continues to perform like this against teams who drop 7 in coverage.  Burrow had a terrible week one, but that's not a typical performance for him.  Josh will do this again against the Jets, or any team where he feels like he has to press

Spot on accurate here.  These types of games would be aberrations for any other elite QB.  JA does this MULTIPLE times every year.  This is who JA is.  A gunslinging turnover machine.  JA's aberrations are zero turnover games and 300+ yards.  He's never gonna be Mahomes.....not even close.  Have to accept who he is and embrace it.  If the stars align and the Bills get some lucky bounces, they may win a SB with him...but I don't see it happening for another 3-4 years and that's if he's even still healthy enough to do it.  McD won't be here when it happens and neither will Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

- Allen’s offensive line has him shook, and has had him shook for about a year now. Allen started the game something like 9 of 10 passing before Spencer Brown was bench pressed into his lap. Then Morse got embarrassingly beat by Quinnen Williams on the deep seam interception which rushed Allen’s throw/decision making. Allen was under pressure close to 50% of his dropbacks (stat below). That is unacceptable.

- My hypothesis is that Diggs emotions, desire to win and desire get the ball has put pressure on Josh that is not conducive to him playing well. It often feels like Josh is forcing the ball to Diggs.

- Coaching in general has been poor. Why do we only have 2 linebackers on the field when the Jets are playing 13 personnel? We really want a safety playing pseudo-LB?

IMG-2810.jpg

That mind lost 40-0 at home to Dallas on Sunday.

I agree with you about Diggs.  Allen was forcing it to him for whatever reason.

Allen shouldn't be shook or he needs to toughen up mentally if that's the case.  Joe Burrow, prior to the second half of last year and a much more porous offensive line and he worked his way through it.  He was sacked 9 times in a playoff game once.  He was sacked like 15 times in the first 3 games last year.  He got through it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

That mind lost 40-0 at home to Dallas on Sunday.

Equating it to the Bills, I think the Giants are in their 2018 season. Last season they overachieved (like the 2017 Bills), this year they regress, and next year they go for a deep playoff run.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Success said:

This is possibly the most Kool-Aid drinking comment I've ever seen here.

I'm guessing nothing about this team--ever--upsets you.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

https://twitter.com/ajaycybulski/status/1701410543079244116?s=46&t=b_6DEUCIOVykcHVZYqq8jg

That’s how Josh started the game. I don’t know why he decided he was done taking the short stuff, maybe he just got bored grinding down the field.  But if he stuck with it the Bills win by multiple scores.

Abother data point; 26%.

The amount of drop backs Allen was pressured on. That means 3 out of every 4 drop backs he had a clean pocket against the best front in football 

5 sacks. At least 4 of those sacks Josh played himself into pressure 

0 - the number of drops by WRs

So those are 4 off the top of my head. 

Edited by appoo

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Equating it to the Bills, I think the Giants are in their 2018 season. Last season they overachieved (like the 2017 Bills), this year they regress, and next year they go for a deep playoff run.

It's hard for me to equate these Giants to the 2018 Bills because Allen was a rookie and we cleaned the roster out....we had something like $50 million in dead cap space.  We went on a spending spree the next year in 2019 once we alleviated that dead cap. 

The Giants have signed their veteran franchise QB and this is his 5th season.  The Giants have a much better roster than our 2018 Bills....much better.

I don't see Daniel Jones taking the Giants to a deep playoff run.  You're a "It's all about the QB" and you think he's that QB?

Reasonable logical conclusions need to be drawn on a dataset that has a large enough sample size. 

Josh has the most turnovers (and overall touchdowns) in the last five years or so, I heard in a video today.

And Beast's thread on his TD/INT ratio since last year's KC game is a large sample of very recent evidence that Josh has been a turnover machine for a long stretch now.

He played poorly against Miami and Cincy in the playoffs.

And then, after all the talk and off-season resetting and "focus," he played a horrible game last night. The sample size is large and it absolutely recent.

Is his elbow to blame? His O-line? His coaching? His head-space?

I don't know. And I hope I'm wrong but until Josh starts to play at an elite level for a good stretch and including against elite teams, I think at the moment he is no longer an elite QB. An elite athlete, yes, but he has not shown elite game processing for a long time time.

I hope I'm wrong and/or it turns around. I'm not super confident. 😕

• Like (+1) 1

I was really down after the game but am trying to be more positive today.    Buffalo actually looked good in the first half.      The running game was better when they had the chance to play, Harty and Kincaid showed flashes and the defense was much improved from late last year.

The problem is that Allen had his worst game ever and fell apart in the second half.    What happens is contingent on whether Allen has one game like this or ten.    I want to be optimistic and point out that Favre, Kelly, Manning and Brady have had some clunkers in their career, but Allen seems to not have his head in the game recently. 

It is one game.  There are concerns, but we not alone.    KC and Cincinnati are also 0-1.   Jets are 1-0 but face the prospect  of rolling out Zach Wilson or a journeyman practice squad/free agent backup for the rest of the season.    In my opinion, the odds of Allen turning it around and going back into 2021 form are much higher than Zach Wilson suddenly becoming a playoff caliber QB.    I am not ignoring the concerns but stating that the season isn't over yet.

Hopefully Buffalo can do what they need to against the Raiders and Commanders over the next two weeks and help Allen get out of his own head.  

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL

Just because people don't come on this message board and whine and B word relentlessly doesn't mean this team doesn't upset them.

I am very upset about last night but you can still keep composure.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was upset yesterday.  I just don't go into hot-take overdrive, and I remember what life was like before Allen.

10 minutes ago, Process said:

43% is probably counting plays where Allen bailed on a clean pocket and ran straight into a d lineman

Hmmm, I doubt it. The QB is either pressured or he’s not. Taking off doesn’t mean he’s pressured, so I doubt it’s counted if the QB just decides to run. That could be coverage etc , not pressure. 

A number of folks have made comments, similar to one upthread in this thread, talking about a lack of a disciplinary voice within the Bills coaching staff for Josh.

Someone to keep him sharp.  Someone here last night said his problem is he views Dorsey as a peer and not a boss type figure.

I think there is really something to this; a change needs to be made.  This is 100% on McDermott to make it happen, and fast.

Will he?  I don't think he is smart enough to be that insightful, assess the problem, and find a good fix for it.

Expect more of the same inconsistent play from Josh, and plenty of wild-eyed hero ball.

It won't be every game!  It will come and go.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh was something like 18/22 with an average of 4.8 YPT… let’s not act like the short passing game was going great… it was going exactly as the Jets planned… that type of production just encourages mistakes which is what the the Jets got.

Bills had 13 points in the first half, on their way to 24+ which is fantastic against a defense this good 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh was something like 18/22 with an average of 4.8 YPT… let’s not act like the short passing game was going great… it was going exactly as the Jets planned… that type of production just encourages mistakes which is what the the Jets got.

When you're up by 10 and facing a back up QB, you don't need to be great.  We could have continued this style and would have won comfortably.

Allen needs to have better situational awareness.  

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yep

said to my brother this morning, I fear we’ve seen the best of JA. This isn’t new. He’ll bully the weaker teams and, well……crap his pants in crunch time time against better competition. 

I gotta believe there’s a multitude of reasons why. I’m not confident he’s capable of playing with the big boys. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What's wrong with that, though? So the offense takes time to get down the field, that's fine. At least 4.8 YPT progresses the football and retains possession. And, with Rodgers down, the Jets would have started to worry had the Bills dink and dunked on them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL

Just because people don't come on this message board and whine and B word relentlessly doesn't mean this team doesn't upset them.

I am very upset about last night but you can still keep composure.  

"keep composure" ??? What does that mean?

People writing insightful posts pointing out flaws with our team's construct are not "losing composure" and even if they were, who the hell cares? This is a message board for Christ's sake, filled mostly with  low IQ posters.

If you can't B word and be stupid here, where can you!?

😂

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Spot on accurate here.  These types of games would be aberrations for any other elite QB.  JA does this MULTIPLE times every year.  This is who JA is.  A gunslinging turnover machine.  JA's aberrations are zero turnover games and 300+ yards.  He's never gonna be Mahomes.....not even close.  Have to accept who he is and embrace it.  If the stars align and the Bills get some lucky bounces, they may win a SB with him...but I don't see it happening for another 3-4 years and that's if he's even still healthy enough to do it.  McD won't be here when it happens and neither will Dorsey.

Manning wouldn't just have 1 bad game a year.  And he was pretty abysmal in the playoffs on a regular basis for many years.

We tend to mythologize the greats - but they weren't models of consistency for the most part.  Most seem to think last night was the worst game we've ever seen from Allen.

Just now, stinky finger said:

Yep

said to my brother this morning, I fear we’ve seen the best of JA. This isn’t new. He’ll bully the weaker teams and, well……crap his pants in crunch time time against better competition. 

I gotta believe there’s a multitude of reasons why. I’m not confident he’s capable of playing with the big boys. 

He's CAPABLE of playing with the big boys; his performances against the Chiefs prove that. And he has potential to get back into post season 2021/start of 2022 mode. He just needs to reset and that is the question - is his mind in the right place, and does he have the correct support at OP to do so.

I remember when Brady threw 5 picks against us... that's a QB losing a game for a team.  Allen lost the game for the Bills last night as well, but he has also won the Bills plenty of games in his career.  The moment we start expecting him to be perfect is the moment we will be disappointed. 

Chiefs lost - and looked very average

Bengals lost - and looked abysmal

Bills lost - and shot themselves in the foot

Week 1 of the NFL is a crazy week for a reason.  We played a top 5 defence and made mistakes.  We wont play a defense like that again... until we face them at home.

The moment Allen does this against the Raiders in week 2.... then I'll be nervous.  For now, this week was simply missed opportunity.

giphy.gif

Seasons done. time to find a new regime from top to bottom. maybe terry sells the team and the new ownership rights the ship? wonder what they could get for a JA trade? he obviously isn't the answer at QB. every phase of the game needs to be stripped and reset. special teams sucks, defense couldn't stop a nose bleed and the offense as a whole is a disaster. then you take coaching. get rid of the whole staff.

this team will be lucky to win 6/7 games and will be no fun to watch, like last night was no fun to watch. I'm sure I can find better things to do with my Sunday, like fishing.

team/organization has been snake bit. it started back when they went to 4 straight super bowls and lost every one, four straight. then this group, gets close but always manages to ***** it up. as a fan, one can really take only so much. I have a thick skin, not much bothers me but there is no sense in going through another game let alone season when the outcome is pretty evident with this losing bunch. JA should be embarrassed from his performance last night. but when a team is snake bit, those kind of nights will continue to happen. throwing 3 picks to same player, 3. that just doesn't happen unless the team is the buffalo bills. a team that has brought more pain to its fans then any other nfl fan base out there.

sure, it was one game and some will write it off as that but the reality is that game was a clear picture of what is to come.

bamboo pole, some shade, good music and catch a few fish on Sunday afternoon. nice relaxing days ahead and more entertaining than watching this team meltdown like it did last night.

GO *cough cough BILLS...👎

• Eyeroll 1

I get it’s Tuesday after a loss but some of these knee jerk reactions?

look had Josh not thrown just one pick - or lost that last fumble - we would be absolutely speaking a different tune on how we beat an elite defense in their house and wouldn’t be talking about …. OC Dorsey

the guy and McDermott called good games

not excellent but good.

offense was moving the ball

only head scratcher was the 2nd and 15 draw play but even so cook makes one move its 3rd and 7 and manageable potentially

im really not at a loss - team was ready Josh just really was really really bad 

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's hard for me to equate these Giants to the 2018 Bills because Allen was a rookie and we cleaned the roster out....we had something like $50 million in dead cap space.  We went on a spending spree the next year in 2019 once we alleviated that dead cap. 

The Giants have signed their veteran franchise QB and this is his 5th season.  The Giants have a much better roster than our 2018 Bills....much better.

I don't see Daniel Jones taking the Giants to a deep playoff run.  You're a "It's all about the QB" and you think he's that QB?

I agree with you that signing Daniel Jones to that large contract was a very poor idea and may end up being what dooms Brian Daboll’s tenure in New York (eventually).

But back to Daboll as an offensive coordinator, he excelled at finding a way to scheme wide receivers open. He gave Allen easy decisions. Dorsey seems to struggle with this. 

Think back to our time with Daboll. Do you recall the amount of times that Josh had an easy read, with an open receiver? It was quite often. We rarely ever see this now Instead, we see Alan having to fit balls into extremely tight windows far more often than was done under Daboll.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.