Worst game of Allen’s career

eball

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He also had a potential pick dropped by CJ Mosley. Last night, he looked like an unholy combination of Trent “Captain Checkdown” Edwards and Ryan Fitzpicksix. Also, the coordinator is really not good. That game plan made no sense, particularly the situational aspect. I have quite low expectations for this season. I am expecting 9 or even 8 wins. 

I hate to agree here Dave but that didn’t look like a playoff team last night. It’s one week so I don’t want to overreact but there are issues with this team. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

I just don’t understand it. He has ALLLLL the tools to be successful. He just plays like he has a Cam Newton brain half the time. Like needing flash cards on the sidelines dumb. He makes some of the most questionable decisions ever and yet has some of the most physical gifted displays you will ever see. He is such an enigma. 

The two sets of traits might be connected. He has bad judgment because it pays off many times, like the TD throw to Diggs, which could have been picked off. He can do things no other QB can do. Paradoxically, that's why he may never be great. 

7 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

He doesn't recognize that sometimes you don't have to make the big play. FGs and clock management would have won this game. The Jets have a really good defense. You have to control the clock and take what they give you.

All the above plus take care of the ball.  He failed to be patient and smart.  

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yep.  It’s like he didn’t know where he was on the field half the time too.  The TD to Diggs was pure luck his back heel was on LOS.  He wanted to pass on another play when he was 7 yards past LOS.  He consistently ran right into their D-Linemen when there wasn’t pressure, and inexplicably took hits when there was no reason too.  That was about as bad as you can play QB mixed in with a handful of wow plays.  

It’s clear Dorsey needs to go.  

Josh playing stupid football is not the OC's fault.  It's on Josh.

3 plays really stand out to me:

1. The first interception. I’m pretty sure he could have easily ran for the first down and gotten out of bounds.  Last minute …throws deep to all the wrong jersey colors. 

2. The toss to Cook (i think), that hit the LB In the head.  If he leads Cook a bit, it’s likely an easy touchdown. 

3. The last fumble.  Just fall on the ball in that situation… every time!!  Literally just gave the game away with that one play. 

The overall game plan, however, was too conservative. They played scared and Dorsey sucks at situational football.  He has no feel for the game, no rhythm to the playcall, and gets too predictable. 

Defenses have figured out his and Allen’s tendencies.  They’re breaking on a lot of the pass routes before our WRs, and shutting down Allen’s running lanes after flashing them open.  Rather than adjust… Dorsey is just throwing random plays at the wall and hoping something works. 

Allen needs a coach, not a friend.  And the offense needs someone else calling the plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, oldmanfan said:

No, it means Josh has to wake up and realize the great QBs take what the defense gives them.  

Coaches can help with the mental state of players. Josh seems to be spiralling and everyone appears clueless as to how to resolve it. It's not that he can't do it - look at the majority of 2021 and start of 2022.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Coaches can help with the mental state of players. Josh seems to be spiralling and everyone appears clueless as to how to resolve it. It's not that he can't do it - look at the majority of 2021 and start of 2022.

One thing I would advise Dorsey to do is move down to the sideline for a game or two.  Daboll would get right in Josh's face and scream at him when he started doing his hero stuff.  He has been in the league 6 years now and Allen should not be making the dumb mistakes he made last night.  This game I am sure will be an aberration but the blame can only go on Allen for the loss.

One thing I would advise Dorsey to do is move down to the sideline for a game or two.  Daboll would get right in Josh's face and scream at him when he started doing his hero stuff.  He has been in the league 6 years now and Allen should not be making the dumb mistakes he made last night.  This game I am sure will be an aberration but the blame can only go on Allen for the loss.

Think it was GunnerBill who said Daboll used to be in the booth after year one, but Dorsey was on the touchline with Josh. I do think he perhaps needs to move back down with him, give it a go and see what happens.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Think it was GunnerBill who said Daboll used to be in the booth after year one, but Dorsey was on the touchline with Josh. I do think he perhaps needs to move back down with him, give it a go and see what happens.

Or McD has to do it.  Someone needs to sit Allen down and drill it through his skull that the kind of stuff he did last night simply does not cut it.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

One thing I would advise Dorsey to do is move down to the sideline for a game or two.  Daboll would get right in Josh's face and scream at him when he started doing his hero stuff.

I don't think compromising the OC's ability to do his job by forcing him out of the booth would be helpful.

I also don't believe that screaming in people's faces is productive.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Or McD has to do it.  Someone needs to sit Allen down and drill it through his skull that the kind of stuff he did last night simply does not cut it.

Now that I agree with

Trouble is is McDermott is defense. He can tell Josh to play smarter but not explain the intricacies of each series. Plus, if Josh is on the sidelines then, more often that not, McDermott will be playcalling. It needs to be Dorsey. 

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Josh playing stupid football is not the OC's fault.  It's on Josh.

Josh ain’t going anywhere.  Dorsey is a couple weeks away from being unemployed.  You simply can’t lose that game last night.  Any sane play-caller reins Josh in and finds a way to put 3 points on the board on one of those 1st 4 possessions of 2nd half.  That’s all it would’ve took to wrap up that game.  

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate to agree here Dave but that didn’t look like a playoff team last night. It’s one week so I don’t want to overreact but there are issues with this team. 

Besides the couple of breakdowns, I thought the D played pretty well. The issues were on Offense and Allen just made it worse. Till the GB game last year, Allen would lift the O and make positive things happen. I was okay with his occasional turnovers till that point . But now the problems have become worse. Even with additions to the O this off-season, Allen just doesn't trust the players around him. The first half was very good , playing within themselves against a very good D. But then Allen regressed drastically and it's become a trend. This should not be on the OC to "rein him in". The great ones self regulate. Allen is not 

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am sure that has happened. Multiple times. Sometimes you just cant consistently fix stupid. I just don't understand what switch got flipped at the end of last (calendar) year in Allen's head. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Trouble is is McDermott is defense. He can tell Josh to play smarter but not explain the intricacies of each series. Plus, if Josh is on the sidelines then, more often that not, McDermott will be playcalling. It needs to be Dorsey. 

Honestly, if he comes out against the Raiders and does the same stuff I'd sit him down for a series or two.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Josh ain’t going anywhere.  Dorsey is a couple weeks away from being unemployed.  You simply can’t lose that game last night.  Any sane play-caller reins Josh in and finds a way to put 3 points on the board on one of those 1st 4 possessions of 2nd half.  That’s all it would’ve took to wrap up that game.  

Explain how you "rein him in"?  Dorsey called plays that had guys open.  But he can't make Josh throw the ball to the right guy.  I felt the draw call in OT was bad.  But that game never should have went to OT.  and that's on the QB who turned it over 4 times.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The first half was not very good… he looked lost for much of the game…. Seemingly turns into a disaster when some adversity hits. 

I thought it was good tbh. Of course film may show he was missing WRs but other than that, the play of the offense was adequate for the D they were facing, on the road , in NY/NJ on 9/11. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Sure.. but he wasn’t anywhere near good Josh Allen. Missed several throws and should’ve had a pick that was dropped by Mosley and had Mosley let not got his hands on it another Jets defender would’ve…. He was a head case last night, no clue what his deal is…. Glad we got McDermott and Dorsey to help him through it though.😅

Let's agree to disagree. If Allen and the O played the second half like the first, we win. By at least 10.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Explain how you "rein him in"?  Dorsey called plays that had guys open.  But he can't make Josh throw the ball to the right guy.  I felt the draw call in OT was bad.  But that game never should have went to OT.  and that's on the QB who turned it over 4 times.

Daboll, or the combination of Daboll and Dorsey, certainly seemed to have a better grip on him then there seems to be now. I think there's an OC, QC coach or combination out there who can rein (reign? I don't know) him in. It's about lucking out an appointing the right person or people.

For now, I do want to see Dorsey on the touchline for the Raiders game.

10 minutes ago, Shemp said:

We all know he ***** the bed. What is he going to do about it? 

Bengals game last year was the moment I asked what they were going to do about it, and this was the first result. The coaching bothers me the most. The play calling, personal used on offense, is just mind blowing some times. I watch a lot of football and I don’t see it nearly as much with other teams. 

Heres a play no one talks about, taking an end zone shot late in the 4th that had no chance rather than trying to get bass a little closer and help the man out for that kick. 

The 2nd and 15 draw, speechless on that one.

The pass down the field on 3rd and 2

taking 20 seconds or more for a each play when we only had 1:48 on the clock

Yes the ending was bad, but we put ourselves in that position throughout the game

Edited by JROC INTEL

If our expectations are low, we clearly could say if Allen played just a little better than that, one less mistake, we could win that game.

It's his worst game as a Bills, we all know that.

But...it's clearly more than that.  Every little thing doesnt seem to be a big deal, but the addition of them is huge.

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You go heavy with 2 tight ends, 1 of the power backs, run the ball, and throw short passes.  Any decent play caller could see Josh was shook the majority of the game.  Take the decision making away from him when he looks like that and the gane can be easily won.  

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Ah yes, Kelvin Benjamin.  I forgot about him.

I recall the enthusiasm this board showed for him the day it was announced we acquired him.

I was urging caution saying he's not particularly good...and taking flak for it....as usual....

You sir are destined to be right at least 2x/day, as with all clocks 😁. In all seriousness, Benjamin was a buffet of disastrous proportions…

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Sorry Ken, but the axe has to fall on someone if this continues. Josh is a world class talent, and if he starts failing like this consistently, you have to try someone new to work with him. He’s too talented to just let flounder. Sometimes it just doesn’t click between coaches and certain players even if it’s not all the coach’s fault.

8 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The funny thing is if Josh Allen just made normal plays he would still be a top QB. For every jump over a guy and do something amazing, he does 2 things that are you scratching your head wondering if he has a concussion. Give him some Ritalin or something..dude is a spaz

The hero ball generally helps much more than it hurts…I’d agree with that based on last nights game though. 

32 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

is he talking to him about how to ideally run the progressions? Is his communication about what he sees translating to Josh better seeing it?

it’s on Josh to but since Dorsey took over these things don’t seem to be happening well. Suddenly Josh is seeing ghosts, has the thousand yard stare on the sideline and seemingly no one getting him through it as he’s often alone when they pan to him

Who knew the apex of Josh Allen's career would be almost beating the Chiefs in an AFC Divisional Game ... all downhill from that moment ... and the McDermott regime is just bad energy ... Buffalo making playoffs this year is an iffy proposition ... and the Bills chances of beating elite teams and making/winning Super Bowl?  Negligible.  It is what it is.  Fire McDermott, fire Ken Dorsey, get an offensive guru to run the team, otherwise Josh Allen's career will be one of the biggest wastes of talent in NFL history.

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You go heavy with 2 tight ends, 1 of the power backs, run the ball, and throw short passes.  Any decent play caller could see Josh was shook the majority of the game.  Take the decision making away from him when he looks like that and the gane can be easily won.  

They ran two TEs a lot.  So other than maybe Murray for Cook (which they also did), how exactly does the OC make the QB recognize what he needs to do and do it?

It is OK to blame Josh for last night and still see him as the mainstay of the franchise.  He stunk last night and lost the game for the team.  The odds are he won't have a game near that bad the rest of the year.

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

is he talking to him about how to ideally run the progressions? Is his communication about what he sees translating to Josh better seeing it?

it’s on Josh to but since Dorsey took over these things don’t seem to be happening well. Suddenly Josh is seeing ghosts, has the thousand yard stare on the sideline and seemingly no one getting him through it as he’s often alone when they pan to him

No. I'm sure Dosey is not talking to him about any of this.  Come on.

He is human a 26 year old kid, not an alien or a savior for Buffalo etc etc etc.... and he has had some bad games playing the hardest position in sports, it happens to every QB even the great ones. Look through any great QBs career and you will see the same. Its how he responds the next few weeks that matters. A 'great QB" has a few bad/ sub par games every year followed up by a string of good games. Now if this becomes a trend and the next 3 to 4 games look like this then the Bills are in trouble and we are back to the 20 plus years before Allen. And if doesn't work out for Allen in Buffalo if the next team who picks him up has great coaching we will all be watching him in the Super Bowl.

Edited by billybob71

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.