In a vacuum ... which 2024 candidate is your favorite?

I think of myself as a high-information voter. Probably most people here think of themselves the same way.

No 2024 presidential candidate fits perfectly with my policy preferences. And certainly they are very different in terms of experience, intellect, judgement, and demeanor. But some come far closer than others in my ideal blend.

As a high-information voter, I don't just take into account which candidate comes closest to my ideal. I also think about how that person would fit as a president with the likely Congress he/she will have, and with the composition of the Supreme Court. For example, I favor the right to an abortion, more or less along the lines of Roe v. Wade. When that was the law, I didn't concern myself too much with how a presidential candidate views the abortion question, other than how he would impact the composition of the Supreme Court. Now I can't ignore that. I'm also kind of middle of the road in my politics, so I worry about the consequences of giving one party too much power in Congress and the White House. For example, a far right/far left House and Senate (particularly a filibuster-proof Senate). That would encourage a wild swing in either direction.

With all that in mind, and in a vacuum (assume you have no idea about how the House/Senate/Supreme Court will be constituted in 2025), how do you rank the candidates now? Top 3, Bottom 3.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think of myself as a high-information voter. Probably most people here think of themselves the same way.

No 2024 presidential candidate fits perfectly with my policy preferences. And certainly they are very different in terms of experience, intellect, judgement, and demeanor. But some come far closer than others in my ideal blend.

As a high-information voter, I don't just take into account which candidate comes closest to my ideal. I also think about how that person would fit as a president with the likely Congress he/she will have, and with the composition of the Supreme Court. For example, I favor the right to an abortion, more or less along the lines of Roe v. Wade. When that was the law, I didn't concern myself too much with how a presidential candidate views the abortion question, other than how he would impact the composition of the Supreme Court. Now I can't ignore that. I'm also kind of middle of the road in my politics, so I worry about the consequences of giving one party too much power in Congress and the White House. For example, a far right/far left House and Senate (particularly a filibuster-proof Senate). That would encourage a wild swing in either direction.

With all that in mind, and in a vacuum (assume you have no idea about how the House/Senate/Supreme Court will be constituted in 2025), how do you rank the candidates now? Top 3, Bottom 3.

Is there a reason you didn’t start with your top and bottom 3?

Edited by JDHillFan
Horrific spelling error
  • Like (+1) 1

If Bernie were younger, it'd be him.  Since he's ancient, I'm going with Youngkin.  I think he's a pragmatist and could help heal the hemorrhaging wounds of the country.  I wouldn't likely agree with some of his agenda but I'd feel ok with him holding the nuclear football.   And I don't see him cozying up to hate groups.  Anyone know different?  If he doesn't run, then Haley would be a distant second.  Other D's just don't seem viable candidates right now.

• Eyeroll 1

Would.

Nikki Haley

Ron DeSantis

Would Never

Biden.

Trump.

Any other of the current Dem mentions.

Strongly consider moving out of the country.

Bernie Sanders.

Kamala Harris

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Is their a reason you didn’t start with your top and bottom 3?

I didn't want you to instinctively choose a different bunch!

20 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

If Bernie were younger, it'd be him.  Since he's ancient, I'm going with Youngkin.  I think he's a pragmatist and could help heal the hemorrhaging wounds of the country.  I wouldn't likely agree with some of his agenda but I'd feel ok with him holding the nuclear football.   And I don't see him cozying up to hate groups.  Anyone know different?  If he doesn't run, then Haley would be a distant second.  Other D's just don't seem viable candidates right now.

Well, your choice - Youngkin - is outside the scope. Current candidates only.

But let me expand the question: what unannounced candidate would you prefer?

• Like (+1) 1

Still undecided…

I was big on DeSantis 12 months ago…But ever since the campaign started, he doesn’t appear as confident in himself as he was during Covid…

I’m intrigued by RFK and Vivek and want to learn more…

However, if it came down to Nikki Hailey vs. Biden, I take Nikki all day long, even though I disagree with her Neo-Con foreign policy…At least her domestic policy would be anti-woke…

I also rock with Trump vs. Biden…

Never to Biden, Newsome, and Michelle Obama…Buttjudge is a joke…😉

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Still undecided…

I was big on DeSantis 12 months ago…But ever since the campaign started, he doesn’t appear as confident in himself as he was during Covid…

I’m intrigued by RFK and Vivek and want to learn more…

However, if it came down to Nikki Hailey vs. Biden, I take Nikki all day long, even though I disagree with her Neo-Con foreign policy…At least her domestic policy would be anti-woke…

I also rock with Trump vs. Biden…

Never to Biden, Newsome, and Michelle Obama…Buttjudge is a joke…😉

I think if you give DeSantis 10-12 more years he could be a good presidential candidate, he still needs to grow some more and hone his skills for the national stage. He's got great ideas and seems to be a natural leader. 

With the current climate he's not ready to overtake Trump as the nominee. Trump's personality is too overwhelming, larger than life and it's like he's a 500lb gorilla on the American political scene. 

• Like (+1) 1

My top 3, in order:

Haley

Christie

Scott

My bottom 3, in order (least bad to most bad):

Ramaswamy

RFK Jr.

Trump

A pure match-up, hold your nose and vote for him if the competitor is worse:

Biden

I'm starting to see that Haley probably isn't anyone's perfect candidate, but that she's acceptable to more people of many divergent views than anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

Rob DeSantis and it's not particularly close.  Popular governor who's gotten things done, fights for what he believes in, Ivy league graduate, military background, and passed his two biggest challenges (Covid response and Hurricane Ian) with flying colors.  Haley would be my second choice and Pence would be my third.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Rob DeSantis and it's not particularly close.  Popular governor who's gotten things done, fights for what he believes in, Ivy league graduate, military background, and passed his two biggest challenges (Covid response and Hurricane Ian) with flying colors.  Haley would be my second choice and Pence would be my third.

When Rob enters the race, i'll read his platform...

If the nominee were Haley or Pence I would go with them . Hope someone else enters the race who is moderate. Biden is just too old and never Harris. Disagree with refugee policy , no bail and lack of deterrence  to crime , inflation has killed us on SS. 

Edited by ALF
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'll support anyone who preserves our republic and stops attacking ANYONE not white, male and straight.

I do not trust Trump, DeSantis and ANYONE associated with them... they are tyrants and do not belong anywhere near the White House.

@Chris farley - hey eyeroll - are you telling me Trump and DeSaster aren't TYRANTS or that you don't care about our republic?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Too soon,

If I have to.. 

id give Ron a chance to move to the center, this right of Don is old 

haley - most genuine, compromiser 

wes moore- up and comer. Smart and operational 

Noooo!!! 

biden

kamie

donnie

Christie - he want to impeach trump 

vivek-  smart like Pete B, easy to point  

bernie - Jesus … this guy? 

warren…. Lost her mind 

hilary 

newsome - corrupt Getty family pos 

pence- Wtf? 

Given the current limited choices…

Probably will vote Biden but wish there were a younger Dem option

I would seriously consider Christie, Haley or Scott - I think they are all capable, sane Republicans but would need to learn more about their positions on issues. I also doubt they can turn the direction of the party away from Trumpism.

Will never vote Trump, Desantis, swampy Swamy or RFK jr. They are all insane.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Andy1 said:

Given the current limited choices…

Probably will vote Biden but wish there were a younger Dem option

I would seriously consider Christie, Haley or Scott - I think they are all capable, sane Republicans but would need to learn more about their positions on issues. I also doubt they can turn the direction of the party away from Trumpism.

I wish someone like Jared Polis was running.

Gretchen Whitmer would be a fun choice too. 

Edited by Roundybout

11 hours ago, Andy1 said:

Vivek is not insane. But he is the guy who will say anything he thinks will get him additional votes or popularity, even if it disagrees with what he said last year.

DeSantis is not insane. But he was completely damaged by Trump and Trumpism and policy-wise no longer resembles the War on Terror JAG officer and congressman he once was.

I don't know that any 1 of them have everything needed to be a true leader of all the people ! That being said i would hope that the person elected would have a business back ground to run the US as such rather than of a personal political agenda of sorts .

I would hope the person would have a strong sense of religious/moral beliefs & it wouldn't hurt to have some military background either . Also the person has to be very strong & willing to stand for those beliefs and not waver while also understanding others thoughts & beliefs keeping the difference between right & wrong in the forefront of every decision being made & common sense is a must also .

But in todays world over sensitive & entitlement driven USA we have exactly what we have, leaders that will not stand for anything but try to please every one on every thing which is why our country is where it is .

Use to be in order to become a American you had to assimilate into the American culture first learn the language & some of the history of this nation and believe in it while intertwining your individual heritage into your American dream but that has all changed now .

We are no longer Americans first we are Asian Americans, African Americans, Irish Americans, Mexican Americans, always putting America second & we need a leader that will put America first again but i don't see that being acceptable any more .

And we have all seen what happens if there is a candidate that try's to put America first the scrutiny & hatred for that person is almost unbearable !! So is there a candidate that keeps the American dream as it was intended alive running today or is it all for the NWO America where most anything goes & we sell your America to the foreign interests like China & such ? 

We can only pray that there's is one strong enough with all the quality's that it will take to be a true leader of this once great country !! 

On 8/29/2023 at 3:20 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Too soon,

If I have to.. 

id give Ron a chance to move to the center, this right of Don is old 

haley - most genuine, compromiser 

wes moore- up and comer. Smart and operational 

Noooo!!! 

biden

kamie

donnie

Christie - he want to impeach trump 

vivek-  smart like Pete B, easy to point  

bernie - Jesus … this guy? 

warren…. Lost her mind 

hilary 

newsome - corrupt Getty family pos 

pence- Wtf? 

This is hilarious. You wouldn’t vote for a guy that wanted to impeach Trump whenever he totally deserved it.

Then you turn around and wouldn’t vote for a guy like Newsom whenever he’s just like trump without the youth

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is hilarious. You wouldn’t vote for a guy that wanted to impeach Trump whenever he totally deserved it.

Then you turn around and wouldn’t vote for a guy like Newsom whenever he’s just like trump without the youth

Is this tequila, ambien or something stronger talking? No clue what the point is supposed to be. 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Is this tequila, ambien or something stronger talking? No clue what the point is supposed to be. 

You gave reasons as to why you would not vote for somebody has a Canadate

The reasons why you wouldn’t are interesting

He wouldn’t vote for Christie because he supported impeachment of Donald Trump so you wouldn’t support him for going against the grain of his party and doing the right thing

But then you turn around and say that you wouldn’t vote for Gavin Newsom because he’s corrupt did you just not have anything bad to say about him or was that just an off the cuff comment?

ALL of these candidates are corrupt in someway or another if for some reason you think the Donald Trump is not corrupt well, that’s where your problems start

Edited by John from Riverside

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You gave reasons as to why you would not vote for somebody has a Canadate

The reasons why you wouldn’t are interesting

He wouldn’t vote for Christie because he supported impeachment of Donald Trump so you wouldn’t support him for going against the grain of his party and doing the right thing

But then you turn around and say that you wouldn’t vote for Gavin Newsom because he’s corrupt did you just not have anything bad to say about him or was that just an off the cuff comment?

ALL of these candidates are corrupt in someway or another if for some reason you think the Donald Trump is not corrupt well, that’s where your problems start

Ah ok .. quick summaries need more context for you. Sure.

christie- he dgaf about the office he just wants to ride Donnie into the ground, so useless other than his vendetta 

newsome- he’s heir to Getty oil family fortune and one of the 4 families that have colluded to control California politics for decades. They are corrupt elites- look it up? No thanks

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ah ok .. quick summaries need more context for you. Sure.

christie- he dgaf about the office he just wants to ride Donnie into the ground, so useless other than his vendetta 

newsome- he’s heir to Getty oil family fortune and one of the 4 families that have colluded to control California politics for decades. They are corrupt elites- look it up? No thanks

As opposed to somebody with millions of dollars, but didn’t want to not be president anymore so he illegally made moves to try to cancel or election as opposed to that?

I don’t have a problem with you thinking what you think about Gavin Newsom he’s definitely not my favorite candidate but your reasoning about how it’s OK for one to be some thing and not another is just baffling

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

As opposed to somebody with millions of dollars, but didn’t want to not be president anymore so he illegally made moves to try to cancel or election as opposed to that?

I don’t have a problem with you thinking what you think about Gavin Newsom he’s definitely not my favorite candidate but your reasoning about how it’s OK for one to be some thing and not another is just baffling

right- let me clarify. Christie’s sole motivation is to eviscerate trump. So my point is hating your old boss for being a dousche isn’t a presidential platform 

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

newsome- he’s heir to Getty oil family fortune

Not exactly. He was kind of a hanger-on who started schmoozing the Gettys when he was very young, then got one of them to invest money in some vanity things like a winery. I'm not sure exactly how he parlayed that into living so well. There's probably a really good biography in his future where we figure all of this out.

To me, more of an empty suit than a stalking horse for the economic elite. He has always had plenty of ambition without ever really standing for anything policy-wise. Good hair and access to a lot of extremely wealthy people who can donate to his campaigns.

Edited by The Frankish Reich