Are we lacking leadership?

Success

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I would say the team lacks mental and physical toughness 

Agreed. When things start going badly, they don't get corrected easily, or at all. It seems like when things start sliding, they just keep on sliding and all of the players and coaches look lost.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I would say the team lacks mental and physical toughness 

It's so hard to judge this from the outside (the mental part) but I suspect and fear it may be true. 

I still fear that when things go bad, Josh gets anxious. Perhaps this is merely perception and not reality. Perhaps it's true but he's evolving and getting better.

This season will be a good test of the team's toughness in the trenches and between the ears.

My guess is that the Bills have too many leaders, and not enough top dog Leaders.  At least half a dozen players have the career resume, skills, and personality to be respected and listened to by the others.  But every year there's a playoff game where no one single person steps up and tells the entire team to shape up, play like the're capable of, and let's go get this game won.  The Bills took the lead against KC with 13 seconds to go, and no one stepped up to say, OK, this isn't over, let's play smart and play hard. We only need two or three good plays from the ST and D, and the game is ours.  Instead everyone just figured, we're the mighty Bills, this is our year, and what could go wrong?

The Cinci playoff game last season was shocking.  How on earth could the Bills, who'd struggled all year to try for the top seed and now had a home playoff game, and who knew the Bengals O line was a mess, NOT pull it together and get out there and win?  I think all the second tier leaders all figured the other guys would get people motivated

When Damar Hamlin died (yes, for a short time, he was dead), Diggs tried to get everyone fired up, but he didn't read the room.  The team was in shock, and no one was willing to get back in gear and play.  I think Diggs was disappointed and embarrassed by that, and if there's a lingering problem between Diggs and the Bills it goes back to that.  This is a case where no one was wrong.  Diggs was intent on winning that game, and he thought the team could rally and put the bad start and Hamlin's injury behind them.  He was right to want to try to do that.  The rest of the team was also right, not to want to do that.

So the problem as I see it is there is no top dog Leader.  That person ought to be Josh Allen.  When Brady was with the Pats, he made it a point to introduce himself to each player as they onboarded.  Hi, I'm Tom Brady.  Of course they knew who he was, but it was the way he went about it that made the rest of the team follow him.  (The Pats problems since Brady left are probably as much due to the loss of him as a leader, as it is as an on-field QB.)  As great a player as Josh is, I don't think he's making the effort to bring the team together.  He's out there dating, making commercials, living the good life of a crazy wealthy, single young man.  Who can blame him?  I don't.  But at the same time if he was willing to forgo some of those pleasures, the team would be tighter and better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t know I still think there’s a place for a fiery leaders not everybody is the this is my job crowd. Tom Brady was legendary for calling out teammates in practice   

True Brady did. Was it effective? Don't know. I know he was not universally liked but was a great quarterback.

23 minutes ago, Utah John said:

My guess is that the Bills have too many leaders, and not enough top dog Leaders.  At least half a dozen players have the career resume, skills, and personality to be respected and listened to by the others.  But every year there's a playoff game where no one single person steps up and tells the entire team to shape up, play like the're capable of, and let's go get this game won.  The Bills took the lead against KC with 13 seconds to go, and no one stepped up to say, OK, this isn't over, let's play smart and play hard. We only need two or three good plays from the ST and D, and the game is ours.  Instead everyone just figured, we're the mighty Bills, this is our year, and what could go wrong?

The Cinci playoff game last season was shocking.  How on earth could the Bills, who'd struggled all year to try for the top seed and now had a home playoff game, and who knew the Bengals O line was a mess, NOT pull it together and get out there and win?  I think all the second tier leaders all figured the other guys would get people motivated

When Damar Hamlin died (yes, for a short time, he was dead), Diggs tried to get everyone fired up, but he didn't read the room.  The team was in shock, and no one was willing to get back in gear and play.  I think Diggs was disappointed and embarrassed by that, and if there's a lingering problem between Diggs and the Bills it goes back to that.  This is a case where no one was wrong.  Diggs was intent on winning that game, and he thought the team could rally and put the bad start and Hamlin's injury behind them.  He was right to want to try to do that.  The rest of the team was also right, not to want to do that.

So the problem as I see it is there is no top dog Leader.  That person ought to be Josh Allen.  When Brady was with the Pats, he made it a point to introduce himself to each player as they onboarded.  Hi, I'm Tom Brady.  Of course they knew who he was, but it was the way he went about it that made the rest of the team follow him.  (The Pats problems since Brady left are probably as much due to the loss of him as a leader, as it is as an on-field QB.)  As great a player as Josh is, I don't think he's making the effort to bring the team together.  He's out there dating, making commercials, living the good life of a crazy wealthy, single young man.  Who can blame him?  I don't.  But at the same time if he was willing to forgo some of those pleasures, the team would be tighter and better.

Great post, although I believe where Buffalo is missing the necessary leadership goes a step higher. Allen looked lost vs Cinci IMO. 

Where was Ken Dorsey? 

36 minutes ago, Utah John said:

That's just horrible speculation on your part 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ok, here’s the breakdown:  If the defense stinks, you’ll know.  

Right, just like we know who was ultimately responsible for "13 Seconds."  LOL  

Season's right around the corner, cuts on Tuesday.  The day approacheth.  :)

These NFL analysts just aren’t even trying anymore lol the bills lack leadership because they haven’t won a Super Bowl?  

Nick wright is a clown also but that’s well documented and he at least does it on purpose 😂. His chiefs are a coin flip away from being 0-3 in their last 3 against the bills all at arrowhead.  

I have been a nuggets fan since the Carmelo to the knicks trade and it was glorious listening to nick wright talk sh*t about the nuggets all playoffs and then be completely wrong when they won the championship haha 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Right, just like we know who was ultimately responsible for "13 Seconds."  LOL  

Season's right around the corner, cuts on Tuesday.  The day approacheth.  :)

No.  Not like that.  

On 8/24/2023 at 10:31 PM, Ya Digg? said:

I was more getting at that some people think the only way to show leadership is to yell at your teammates, in public or behind closed doors. Your right though, Josh isn’t like that at all and I appreciate it

Imo, this is the thinking that leads Broussard to that conclusion.  Also, can you imagine Manning or Brady being addressed by a teammate in a game like Josh was by Diggs?  Whatever was being said doesn't matter to many, the look was a lasting negative one in that regard.  

• Vomit 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:59 PM, Success said:

I saw Broussard say this the other day, responding to Nick Wright's usual deranged lunacy about the Bills.  He couldn't agree w/ some of ol' Nick's ridiculous assessments, but in trying to find some common ground for why Buffalo will never win anything ever at any time, he said that they do lack leadership, from any player, or from McDermott.

Personally, I don't fully agree.  I think Allen leads by example, and is a strong personality at the most important position. We've all seen those moments like the end of the 13 seconds game, where he was exhorting the defense on the sideline after our last score, and getting everyone fired up.

McDermott - who has my support as a fan - I'm not so sure on.  He seems to be in the weeds a lot, focused on the details. And I think he's a detail guy in general. I'm not sure if he truly LEADS this team, like some of the more legendary HC's who really set the tone, set the boundaries, and were able to create a vision everyone could get behind.

Curious what everyone else thinks, and if a "lack of leadership" might be the missing piece that the team needs to figure out, or just develop as they continue to mature.

Tim Graham said that he regards Sean  McDermott and Josh Allen along the top leaders since covering NFL/NHL two plus decades ago.   He listed McDermott behind Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells.  

No. McDermott is an excellent leader. You lose a playoff game in any other sport and you shrug it off. "We'll get 'em tomorrow." In football, there's no room for error. There are several teams that could win it all with a lucky bounce or two and we're one of those teams.

• Like (+1) 2

Broussard is a Stephan A-hole Smith wannabe.  It’s pretty sad when you suck at it. He’s a joke. 
As to the Bills, you don’t go through all they went through without leadership. Death, two near deaths, having to get to the stadium via snowmobiles, 3 road games in 12 days (all wins). All that and still ended the season on an eight game winning streak before the Cincy loss. 
He’s FOS.  

Not that my opinion matters much and leadership is dependent on the the group. Some subordinates  (players) need different types. Philosophical (coach type), walk softly but carry a big stick as well as outspoken/alpha type. You need a mix/balance of each to handle various situations and be able to lean on eachothers strength and support. 

For instance. 

Dorsey/Dawkins/Diggs = outspoken/alpha types.

Allen/Miller/Morse = Philosophical/Coach types.

McD/Beane = Walk softly and carry a big stick, but also Philosophical. 

Right now (imo) we have very, VERY good leaders overall and they are still learning, But the GREAT leaders CAN do it all.

I think McD and Beane are REALLY close to being GREAT and I expect them to achieve GREATNESS this season!!😁

On 8/24/2023 at 5:46 PM, WhoTom said:

I think he's established a culture that wasn't there before he came, so in that respect, he is a leader who implemented his vision and got buy-in from the players and the GM. And he knows how to handle the players. He's not an in-your-face Lombardi kind of coach, but that model doesn't really fly anymore. McD gets to know the players and handles each individual in the way that they need to be handled. That's a leader.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more "personality" (for lack of a better term) from him on the sidelines, but I know that's not his style. The players do a good job of firing themselves up, though.

What do you think the clapping is for?

On 8/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, Success said:

I saw Broussard say this the other day, responding to Nick Wright's usual deranged lunacy about the Bills.  He couldn't agree w/ some of ol' Nick's ridiculous assessments, but in trying to find some common ground for why Buffalo will never win anything ever at any time, he said that they do lack leadership, from any player, or from McDermott.

Personally, I don't fully agree.  I think Allen leads by example, and is a strong personality at the most important position. We've all seen those moments like the end of the 13 seconds game, where he was exhorting the defense on the sideline after our last score, and getting everyone fired up.

McDermott - who has my support as a fan - I'm not so sure on.  He seems to be in the weeds a lot, focused on the details. And I think he's a detail guy in general. I'm not sure if he truly LEADS this team, like some of the more legendary HC's who really set the tone, set the boundaries, and were able to create a vision everyone could get behind.

Curious what everyone else thinks, and if a "lack of leadership" might be the missing piece that the team needs to figure out, or just develop as they continue to mature.

I believe Peter King said he gave a Coach of the Year vote to McDermott for guiding the team through all the obstacles/issues last season.

Edited by BobbyC81

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.