Will Bruce Smith’s sack record ever be broken?

ChronicAndKnuckles

Nope. Players don’t play for the length of time it would take ( except QBs as they are protected ) to come close while also maintaining top performance. Financially they don’t need to at todays NFL salaries. Players have a lot more self preservation in mind and get out early to limit physical issues down the road. Anything is possible, but I don’t think it will happen for these reasons and probably some others that have been mentioned as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

My knee jerk answer was going to be no for the reasons outlined by others. 

But I think TJ Watt has a chance. Watt has 77.5 sacks in 6 years and up until last season he only missed 3 games in 5 years. He would need several great seasons in the next 5 years and then hang around into late 30s to have a shot.

Also they added a 17th game which helps pad the stats.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

I will say yes.....sports science and rules to reduce injuries of passing.....the NFL sack leader is often around 20 sacks for the year which is higher than it was 30 years ago.  Quarterbacks are better about getting rid of the ball than in Bruce's time. I love Bruce, he was my favorite but he is not the leader in sacks/year, he is the career leader.  Similar to Brady being the passing leader, he just played more years than some other guys.

Think extremely unlikely for all the reasons listed. Namely:

1. The health and longevity is hard to achieve; 

2. The level of physicality you can hit QBs with is significantly reduced;

3. The QBs are more mobile;

4. The short passing game rather than the deep drop passing game is the order of the day in the modern game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Plus you see him routinely beat double and triple teams. Not many top athletes can be as self motivated as Bruce was for as long as he played. 19 years is a long time to be playing pro football especially any players in trenches offense or defense.  They take a lot of pounding.  

Bruce was the one doing the pounding.  He was the rare bird that could take over a game.  Prime example being the Kelly Era Bills first home playoff game against Warren Moon's Houston Oilers.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

JJ Watt was on pace to blow by the record then reality set in. Realistically you need a guy to play 15 seasons and average 13.33 sacks per year. Seems doable. That’s playing to age 35-37 depending on starting age. I honestly think it could happen, but injuries have riddled some of the best contenders the past 20 seasons who came along.

Well you are a sack Dr. so it must be true

13 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

All records eventually get broken

I agree. Bruce was great -- better than great -- but someone will come along and break his record. Some records that seemed unbreakable at the time:

Unitas' record of passing for a TD in 47 straight games set in 1956-60 broken by Brees 50 years later and then by Brady. 

OJ's season russing yardage of 2003 yards set in 1973 and broken by Dickerson in 1984 (OJ is now 8th on the list but that's because there are 2-3 more games in a season).

Brady's career passing mark of 89,214 yards broken by Josh Allen in 2043.

The quick passing game existed when Bruce played -- the West Coast offense; the Run and Shoot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

17 game season and teams are passing more than ever before? Yes, eventually every record will fall. 

I don't think OJ's record of 2,003 yards in 14 games will be broken. I know Eric Dickerson has the record with 2,105 yards but he needed 16 games to do it. With the way the league is now as a passing dominated league I just don't think you will see an RB run for over 2,000 yards and do it by game 14.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.