Will Bruce Smith’s sack record ever be broken?

ChronicAndKnuckles

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wrong--see Gunner's take above.  6 QBs took at least 40 sacks last year---lots of sacks to be had.  

Had nothing to do with rules change.  It took Smith a mind blowing 19 seasons and 279 games to get to that 200 sacks.  Von Miller would easily pass 200 if he played 19 seasons---but there is zero chance he will.  These guys get paid so much money they have no reason to keep playing like that.

Yes QBs still get sacked. But defenders used to be able to take 3 steps after the QB released and the balls and then powerbomb them. Bruce would probably have adapted but those hits were vicious. Bad things man, bad things

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Yes QBs still get sacked. But defenders used to be able to take 3 steps after the QB released and the balls and then powerbomb them. Bruce would probably have adapted but those hits were vicious. Bad things man, bad things

I guess.  But the "new rules" haven't prevented anyone from challenging his record.  Just a sthe old rules didn't get him to his record any easier.  It just allowed some QBs to take bigger hits now and then.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Remember Bruce had Rusty Jones at time when NFL trainers were just telling to just eat lots of food but nutrition and training were not developed into a science.  The NFL has improved the quality (Rusty did a lot of teaching) but you need someone who can teach AND motivate.  Rusty Jones turned tubby Bruce Smith into powerhouse Smith.  As Bruce said "Rusty Jones was worth his weight in gold."   Oh and old timers remember when you curse Hank Bullough that he was the one who convinced Rusty Jones to leave Pittsburgh and work for the Bills.

And curse the day rusty left to the Bears iirc.  Wasn't it donahoe??  Think rusty leaving was the big reason we were in a drought, we were always very low in injuries with rusty too.

Seems Buffali does well with some people with initials RJ.  

Rick Jennerette 

Rusty Jones

Rick James

Hoping DK is the next initial combo that does well in Buffslo.  

Dalton Kincaid

Dawson Knox

It would be interesting to know where the connection  between his family and the Seymour and Northrup Knox branch  connect.   Granted at some point we are all related by some common ancestors, and no this isn't an advert for ancestry dot com. Just simply a fact.

Edited by AuntieEm

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

And curse the day rusty left to the Bears iirc.  Wasn't it donahoe??  Think rusty leaving was the big reason we were in a drought, we were always very low in injuries with rusty too.

Rusty was "promoted" to front office so Head Coach could have his buddy being head trainer.  Rusty was vocal in that he did not want or need a promotion.

After Ruben Brown had "a fit" regarding poor coaching being done he went to the Bears and told them that Rusty was unhappy in Buffalo and was reason why injures were so low so they signed him away.   Injury rate went down for Bears and up for Bills.

https://www.colts.com/team/coaches-roster/rusty-jones

In his first season in Chicago in 2005, he helped Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker Brian Urlacher deal with hamstring problems that had caused him to miss seven games the prior year. Urlacher played in all 16 games in 2005 and was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-director-of-physical-development-to-retire-9390398

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Rusty was "promoted" to front office so Head Coach could have his buddy being head trainer.  Rusty was vocal in that he did not want or need a promotion.

After Ruben Brown had "a fit" regarding poor coaching being done he went to the Bears and told them that Rusty was unhappy in Buffalo and was reason why injures were so low so they signed him away.   Injury rate went down for Bears and up for Bills.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-director-of-physical-development-to-retire-9390398

Yep that seems to confirm that loss of Rusty Jones played s large part in the Bills downward spiral.  Probably the biggest reason I get so upset with seeing Dawkins show up so out of shape and to a lesser degree even Josh  and Gabe could stand to do a bit of work to tone up maybe there's some good exercise he could do to strengthen his ankle muscles to be a bit more durable in that area.  I used to always mess up my ankle playing softball then I just started using a good elastic ankle wrap to add support.

15 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

*Warning - off-season thread* 

Honestly, I wasn’t old enough to see Bruce in his prime, but I like to hear from knowledgeable Bills fans about great players of the past. I was watching a YT video about sports records that can never be broken and I was surprised that Bruce Smith’s sack record wasn’t on the list. Reggie White came only 2 sacks shy, but looking at the all-time sack leaders, all of them were drafted in the 80s or 90s. Our own Von Miller is 19th all time with 123 1/2. Strange how it’s so much more of a passing league now, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has even been coming close to putting up 200+ and I’m just wondering why? 

All athletic records eventually will be broken.

I recall many predicted Jim Browns record would never been broken and he isnt even in the top 10 RBs of all time anymore.

47 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

That's a QB hit, not a sack.  And again, he would have adjusted his style. 

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

All athletic records eventually will be broken.

I recall many predicted Jim Browns record would never been broken and he isnt even in the top 10 RBs of all time anymore.

He was playing like 12 games a year

I'm pretty sure he's number one or two all time in yards per game... It's either Him or  Berry Sanders ypg all time 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I googled Rusty Jones.  Seems like he's working for Colts as the director sports performance.  Bruce needs to  advise Terry that he should hire Rusty away from the Colts.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.