Patrick Queen: Would you trade a late rounder for him?

Rigotz

With Bernard injured, Dodson having a rough pre-season week 1 (and swinging his helmet at his own team), and McDermott expressing concern today … let’s explore one potential option that might be available.

This write up explains why Queen might be on the trade block: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/07/trade-candidate-ravens-lb-patrick-queen

- Roquon Smith just became highest paid ILB in NFL.

- Ravens drafted Trenton Simpson in the 3rd round of this year’s draft.

- Queen is in the last year of his rookie contract ($3.8M).

- Queen is rumored to want a new contract, coming off the best year of his career (117 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 14 QB hits).

To be clear, this is not a discussion of whether he is an elite player or worth a large second contract. If he’s a 1 year rental with possible upside, would you trade a late round pick for him? If so, what round? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I haven’t watched Queen play in the NFL enough to really form my own opinion, but I have heard him discussed. What was said about him was that he was pretty poor until Smith was acquired lined up next to him. Then his play dramatically improved. That makes me say no. If it was something negligible in trade, then it might be worth kicking the tires. But I doubt that would be the case. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would support Beane looking for a veteran MLB if he feels he needs one, but seeing Queen here in Baltimore, I don’t really want him. Very mediocre, un-Ravensy.

Might fit what McD wants but I don't have any idea what skillset he wants in a player for that position. We shall soon see how they play it. 

Could be they trade for a different player.  Might be teams trading a player they are cutting,  both teams avoid bidding wars over player.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

With Bernard injured, Dodson having a rough pre-season week 1 (and swinging his helmet at his own team), and McDermott expressing concern today … let’s explore one potential option that might be available.

This write up explains why Queen might be on the trade block: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/07/trade-candidate-ravens-lb-patrick-queen

- Roquon Smith just became highest paid ILB in NFL.

- Ravens drafted Trenton Simpson in the 3rd round of this year’s draft.

- Queen is in the last year of his rookie contract ($3.8M).

- Queen is rumored to want a new contract, coming off the best year of his career (117 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 INTs, 14 QB hits).

To be clear, this is not a discussion of whether he is an elite player or worth a large second contract. If he’s a 1 year rental with possible upside, would you trade a late round pick for him? If so, what round? 

A late rounder? Hell yes! It would be worth it, just so we wouldn’t have to play against him anymore. He is one of those players who always seems to make an impact against us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure he's a 4-3 Mike LB.  There's a reason his play boosted, when Roquan joined and he was used differently in their 3-4.

I see him more as a Milano type in our defense.  But I could be wrong.  

They just invested two consecutive 3rd rounders, in hopes of one of them panning out.  I don't think they'll make a trade, unless it's a glaring need halfway thru the year and we get a better sense on various adjustments/progression of the young guys (and Coach's use of different subpackages).

So I wouldn't give a late rounder for Queen.

• Agree 1

I’d be fine with any short term rentals. But I don’t think he’d be very successful in this scheme. They seem to favor or maybe need players with a higher IQ and from what I’ve seen from the guy he is all athleticism. Like others said he started to flash when they got Roquan cause he didn’t have to think anymore and could just attack. Baltimore loves them some comp picks so I would expect they’d like him to have a great year and get paid by someone else next offseason. 

If MLB was something that Beane and McDermott were as concerned with as posters here are, they'd have done a move like this before the start of Camp.

Even if there is someone better than what we have out there, McDermott will value those who were with the team practicing all offseason and training his plays over them. It's a complicated defense. McDermott isn't the "plug and play" type.

I don't think Queen is enough of an upgrade that they'd bring him on now, behind the 8 Ball, so to speak.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I wasn’t aware he had a bad week 1? And the helmet fight thing? While not ideal won’t impact his perception by Bills brass unless it becomes a pattern. Having said that, any LB that can improve the team is fine with me. Not sure Queen is that guy particularly with that contract. 

20 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If MLB was something that Beane and McDermott were as concerned with as posters here are, they'd have done a move like this before the start of Camp.

Even if there is someone better than what we have out there, McDermott will value those who were with the team practicing all offseason and training his plays over them. It's a complicated defense. McDermott isn't the "plug and play" type.

I don't think Queen is enough of an upgrade that they'd bring him on now, behind the 8 Ball, so to speak.

All of your posts are the same.  Sorry. 

If McB thought this, then this.

This thread isn’t asking if McB would make the trade.  It’s asking us if we would make the trade.

mcdermott is CLEARLY concerned.  He has said as much today.  It’s possible that they weren’t very concerned prior to the start of camp….. and now that one guy is hurt and another guy is swinging helmets, that his stance has changed and he’s more concerned now.  It’s a fluid game and process

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't love Queen. He has struggled in the pros. But I am concerned enough I'd consider it for one of our three 6ths next year if that was enough to get him (which if Baltimore thinks he might be a cut could do it).

Started every game since day 1. Last year he had 117 tackles / 9 tfl, 2 int and 6 pd, 1 FF, 2 FR, 5 sacks, 14 qb hits, 83.1 qbr against, 7% missed tackle. The numbers stack up pretty well.

I would take him for a 3rd and 4th. 

If it is a surplus sixth-round pick for him on a one-year rental then I am all for it. Queen struggled badly his first two years but had a nice third season. If the Bills feel comfortable giving him a chance to start and then he can get what he wants out on the open market if he plays well then I am all for giving him a good shot at it. 

But if Queen needs a new contract to play then pass (although I am not sure if there is any semi-hold out situation here or not) I wouldn't want to give him a big deal after just one solid season. Kick the tires for sure, the Bills need some help/depth at MLB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.