Preseason Week 2 - Bills Vs. Steelers, what do you hope to see?

Chaos

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'll be looking for 5 major things:

1) I want Torrence getting all the reps with the 1s. I don't need a faux competition where Bates gets reps because it's "his turn." We already know who Bates is as a player. Give Torrence a chance to prove he can capably start for this offense. If he fails the test no big deal, go back to Bates.

2) I'll be keeping an eye on Van Demark and Gouraige with the 2s/3s. I liked what I saw out of both of them against the Colts. Let's see if it's for real.

3) On Dorian Williams, I'll be watching how he does shedding blocks and filling run gaps. He struggled with that against the Colts. Until he can capably perform those tasks, he is not a realistic option at MLB. A little progression in those areas from last week is all I'd like to see.

4) My hunch is Isabella's performance against the Colts is fool's gold but I'd like to see him be rewarded with more playing time at least. He impressed me more than Shakir. I would even give him a couple reps with the 1s, let it be known that the competition for starting slot receiver is still wide open given Shakir's inconsistency there.

5) Epenesa - show up on the stat sheet this time.

Basham - prove that he can build on last week's strong performance.

Ford - we've heard nothing about him at camp and he was behind Settle on the depth chart, it's time for him to show the kind of impact we paid him for. We can't afford another free agent dud on the defensive line.

Agree on all but #4. 

I'd say seeing a CB2 "stand out" and Dodson, would be most critical to this defense.  CB2 looks like a rotation still at this point.  Dodson looked OK, not sure if Bernard's hamstring will be ready (any word?).

I don’t think there’s any surprises.  How is MLB, RG, WR, and returners developing.  Maybe the other Allen can show some development, or maybe Barkley keeps surprising us positively.

There is a little hope Isabella can turn into something.  McBeane have no been shy about speed.   Just like they haven’t been shy about 12 personnel.  They’ve been chasing that for years.  They are going g to give that kid every opportunity in the preseason.  Even Morris might have a shot as the 3rd TE as he is athletic.

There is only one real answer:

Kaiir Elam vs George Pickens:

Last season, Pickens seemed to get the better of our first round CB. 4 grabs for 60+ yards.

I hope we get an opportunity to see a rematch as a benchmark not only for how Elam is doing, but to remind myself we continue to pass on high draft investments in early round WRs 😂

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/14/2023 at 2:39 PM, Chaos said:

Preseason Week 2 - Bills Vs. Steelers, what do you hope to see? 

1. No significant injuries

2. No clobbering of Mason Rudolph by TDots helmet, TDots, or anyone else on the Bills or their helmet

3. I would like to see someone step up and declare at CB "I'm the Man"

4. OL looking more solid in pass pro, especially the IOL

5. cut way down on the pre-snap penalties

Edited by Beck Water

On 8/14/2023 at 3:48 PM, HappyDays said:

4) My hunch is Isabella's performance against the Colts is fool's gold but I'd like to see him be rewarded with more playing time at least. He impressed me more than Shakir. I would even give him a couple reps with the 1s, let it be known that the competition for starting slot receiver is still wide open given Shakir's inconsistency there.

FWIW Thad Brown highlighted Isabella for a good move today:

On the other hand.....I don't think Isabella should get "a couple reps with the 1s" just to show Shakir the competition is still open.  In his article on the Bills-Colts game, Joe Buscaglia did a deep dive into the snap counts of the receiver corps and pointed out that Sherfield (who played for Diggs on Sat but has been seeing snaps in the slot) was called after only 2 series, making him kind of the presumptive "#3".  He also pointed out that when the Bills went to 11 personnel, it was initially Harty, not Shakir, getting those snaps, and that Harty's day ended before Shakir's.

So if Shakir doesn't know there's a competition going on for #3 WR, he's dense as a lead brick, but his competitors are named Sherfield and Harty, not Isabella.

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No more passes thrown directly to Dane Jackson. 

What?  I love to see passes thrown directly at our DBs - ANY of our DBs!!!!

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I want to see Spencer Brown block TJ Watt.

I don't think any defense in the league relies on one player as much as the Steelers rely on Watt.  Losing him is almost the equivalent of losing your starting quarterback on offense.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.