SCOTUS strikes down Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan

24 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"...stop hallucinating that the President has the Constitutional power to spend $400 billion without their approval."

Since we're on a "get the holding correct" kick here, that should be: "without their unambiguous approval."

If Biden wants to push it (he won't ... he's made his point, he can run on being the guy who really, really tried to hand over money to young indebted people, urging them to come out to vote), there's a big opening here: he presumably still has the authority to suspend payments due, maybe to tinker with the interest rates, and do all other kinds of mischief. The Court said Congress only failed to authorize canceling debt.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

9 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

if I am trying to convince someone of my ability to lead a country I might not point out that I can't even pay down a loan. Truly though sounds like a Dem, I am too stupid to do basic things, make me your leader 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillStime said:

I wish my parents turned 18 in 1989. Granted, I wouldn't have been born yet but they wouldn't be in their late 70s like they are today.  I cherish every day they are here.

I hope you have them for many years to come. 👍 My Dad turns 90 next weekend. Still going strong physically but starting to fail mentally. I just pray that the Bills can win ONE while he’s still with us. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

if I am trying to convince someone of my ability to lead a country I might not point out that I can't even pay down a loan. Truly though sounds like a Dem, I am too stupid to do basic things, make me your leader 

Her grandfather spent nearly two decades in Congress.

Her husband ran talent acquisition for the Clinton campaign and is currently the managing director of one of those NYC-based businesses that doesn't even state what it does on its website because you're too poor to know that.

I don't feel bad for her.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Virtually all PPP loans are being forgiven — despite concerns about fraud, undeserving recipients. And all you need is a simple one-page form to get relief

If you received a Paycheck Protection Program loan during the pandemic, there’s a good chance you won’t have to pay it back.

Millions of PPP loans, at a cost of $770 billion, were given out to businesses, individuals and nonprofits across the country during the pandemic. The loans were targeted to small businesses with fewer than 500 employees to help them keep workers as well as pay bills and overhead.

Almost all the PPP loans — 90% — have already been completely or partially forgiven, according to NPR analysis of data from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene had $183,504 in PPP loans forgiven.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-republican-critics-student-loan-cancellation-ppp-loan-forgiveness/

Even if you think student debt nationalization is ethical (it's not) - a massive financial plan like this has to go through Congress. Blatantly unconstitutional for Biden to do it by executive decree. We don't live in a dictatorship.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

Virtually all PPP loans are being forgiven — despite concerns about fraud, undeserving recipients. And all you need is a simple one-page form to get relief

If you received a Paycheck Protection Program loan during the pandemic, there’s a good chance you won’t have to pay it back.

Millions of PPP loans, at a cost of $770 billion, were given out to businesses, individuals and nonprofits across the country during the pandemic. The loans were targeted to small businesses with fewer than 500 employees to help them keep workers as well as pay bills and overhead.

Almost all the PPP loans — 90% — have already been completely or partially forgiven, according to NPR analysis of data from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-republican-critics-student-loan-cancellation-ppp-loan-forgiveness/

As originally designed via congressional legislation. Student loan forgiveness is also possible via congressional legislation. POTUS doesn't have the authority is the issue at hand.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, paulmm3 said:

Even if you think student debt nationalization is ethical (it's not) - a massive financial plan like this has to go through Congress. Blatantly unconstitutional for Biden to do it by executive decree. We don't live in a dictatorship.

Yup.  Nan even admitted this. 

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

People have it twisted

People are fighting over that loan forgiveness

The real problem is how much it’s actually costing to go to school, and this comes from somebody who works at a university

We charge way too damn much

Yup.  It's ridiculous and why I said they should demand the money back from their schools since they're the ones who got it.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  Nan even admitted this. 

Yup.  It's ridiculous and why I said they should demand the money back from their schools since they're the ones who got it.

One of the reasons college costs so much is  because the government got into the student loan business. Access to lots and lots of money is what drives costs up. Not sure why we never seem to learn this lesson. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I haven't read the whole Sotomayor dissent.

But here's something to be aware of: this is how appeals court arguments go! Justice Breyer was famous for asking long hypotheticals, sometimes with fact patterns this bizarre.

What they're trying to do is to get the other side to concede that under some circumstances their view (that complete loan forgiveness is authorized) may be acceptable. That shoots down the argument that under the language Congress used, loan forgiveness is never authorized. If the other side (or another Justice) says, yeah, well, we're not talking about that, then you've made your point.

[Granted, this is a silly hypothetical. But still, appellate lawyers are used to this kind of thing]

It may be silly, but if the dirty bomb does cause a late payment on one’s student loan, I’m very pro-one-free-late charge.  Per year.  

If a borrower has yet another dirty bomb delayed payment the following year, I think you have to question judgment. 

50 minutes ago, ALF said:

Related: Oranges and apples are both round, but are different fruits all together. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

One of the reasons college costs so much is  because the government got into the student loan business. Access to lots and lots of money is what drives costs up. Not sure why we never seem to learn this lesson. 

Yup.  Thanks Barry!

4 hours ago, ALF said:

I mean... I am sad you don't get how government works. Congress passed the PPP. If you'd like we can work out the basics of government this evening.  I have a few hours to kill explaining that the president can't decide or dictate the financial situations involved here.

But, yep, cool, you links a CBS news site that imbeciles will cling to...

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Corrupt president’s fake promise even his own party leaders said is illegal was confirmed to be illegal 

😳

Knew this would happen and now will try something else illegal to rally support for 2024.  Even though there's no way of implementing it even if elected.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Knew this would happen and now will try something else illegal to rally support for 2024.  Even though there's no way of implementing it even if elected.

They knew they couldn't do it either. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

They knew they couldn't do it either. 

That's what I meant.  It's manipulative but there's a lot of young people who will fall for it.  It's plain cruel to people and families who were counting on it.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

👆😆🤣

Oh, isn’t this is a cute little circle jerk amongst the cult?

Manipulative… jfc

How many Trump voters are disappointed about the super affordable Trump Care that was promised and never delivered? 

Oh, it’s too hard, we were told.

But you know what wasn’t too hard?

Getting those tax cuts in for the rich.

But tell us - how did Trump get the money for the wall? 

Anyone? 

Bueller?

image.thumb.jpeg.39dbb07dda00f90450cf6398662c6a00.jpeg

11 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

There are options, BillSy.  Help your younger siblings.  Provide sound guidance on how debt works, the extraordinary benefits offered by community college, the benefits of staying local, virtual learning etc.  Research in-state options relative to income (NY Excelsior program).  Look into programs where they get free education for public service (volunteer firefighters get an exceptional benefits if they attend community college). If you can afford to do it, help them pay for college. Gift them money.  Pay for books. 

We were able to fund our children’s college debt with some strategic planning, heartfelt conversations on what we would expect in return for our commitment, good fortune and good children.   

My son’s wife has college debt (and she’s a young lady who powered through sone very tough breaks in life to complete her education), and they would have qualified for relief under the Biden plan though financially they are doing quite well. My advice was pretty simple—if you qualify for forgiveness when all is said and done, take it.  If not, pay the debt off as soon as possible. 

If you are able, join the military and serve for a 3 year enlistment and then go to college on the GI Bill.  Worked for me.  There are so many options besides going in debt.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, boyst said:

I mean... I am sad you don't get how government works. Congress passed the PPP. If you'd like we can work out the basics of government this evening.  I have a few hours to kill explaining that the president can't decide or dictate the financial situations involved here.

But, yep, cool, you links a CBS news site that imbeciles will cling to...

If you want your taxes to payoff  loans for businesses and politicians good for you. They should pay there loans just like the students will have too. 

I love the Left trying to equate this to PPP. They are not the same! First, the PPP program was passed by Congress. Second, the intention behind PPP was the federal government was actually responsible for shutting down people’s businesses. The government caused the harm! That isn’t the case with student loans. The government hasn’t told college graduates that they can’t use their degrees. These two programs have literally nothing to do with each other. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ALF said:

If you want your taxes to payoff  loans for businesses and politicians good for you. They should pay there loans just like the students will have too. 

That's not your argument. Non sequitur statement. 

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's what I meant.  It's manipulative but there's a lot of young people who will fall for it.  It's plain cruel to people and families who were counting on it.

Honestly if your dumb enough to believe Joe lieden, when even Pelosi said it’s not legal, you probably shouldn’t have student loans 😂 

• Thank you (+1) 1