SCOTUS strikes down Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan

Great news! I'm happily paying my student loans. I don't need the government to do anything except build roads and uphold the law.

They knew this was going to fail the whole time, Biden even said so at his town hall. They passed the buck to try and make the Supreme Court look like the bad guys. Disgusting!

Could you imagine if the government had the power to just nullify people's debts? People take out loans knowing full well they need to be paid back. If you are a moron then you it's your fault, nobody else's.

My roommates gladly took out mountains of student debt knowing it was a low fixed rate and they would have their whole life to pay it back. One bought a motorcycle and another went on crazy spring break trips every year. The government expected me to reimburse them? Lol good one! 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Great news! I'm happily paying my student loans. I don't need the government to do anything except build roads and uphold the law.

They knew this was going to fail the whole time, Biden even said so at his town hall. They passed the buck to try and make the Supreme Court look like the bad guys. Disgusting!

Could you imagine if the government had the power to just nullify people's debts? People take out loans knowing full well they need to be paid back. If you are a moron then you it's your fault, nobody else's.

My roommates gladly took out mountains of student debt knowing it was a low fixed rate and they would have their whole life to pay it back. One bought a motorcycle and another went on crazy spring break trips every year. The government expected me to reimburse them? Lol good one! 

You’re close. The ‘government’ actually has the power to cancel loans, just not the executive branch. THAT is what the Supreme Court ruled on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes indeed, Biden and the Democrats are hoping nobody can tell the difference between accepting money so business owners and their employees could survive shutdowns the government ordered and student loans with terms and conditions the borrowers fully accepted.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Yes indeed, Biden and the Democrats are hoping nobody can tell the difference between accepting money so business owners and their employees could survive shutdowns the government ordered and student loans with terms and conditions the borrowers fully accepted.

Exactly! PPP was paid for by the government because it was the government who forced people to NOT make a living. The government caused the harm. 

By the way that’s the exact same concept of the Heroes program that Biden keeps referring to. In that case, people enlisted in the military, and since they literally couldn’t make a living and fight in a war at the same time, the government gave them a break. It was a trade, not a handout! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Honestly if your dumb enough to believe Joe lieden, when even Pelosi said it’s not legal, you probably shouldn’t have student loans 😂 

How many Americans actually follow politics though?  I would venture a majority believe the whataboutism between debt forgiveness and PPP loans despite the latter being constitutional. 

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 2

On 6/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, BillStime said:

Thanks for the advice, Leo.  Fortunately, my parents will follow through and pay off their loans now that the decision is final.

Also, fortunately, after 60 straight years of voting Republican, my conservative parents will no longer vote for the GOP because of their hyper focus on woke, guns, and anti-everything. They are tired of the division, mass shootings, outright mean spirted hate, and bullshiit.

The party no longer represents THEM.

Congrats, Trump voters.

Up NEXT:

Interracial Marriage 

Gay Marriage

Contraception

So much winning.

Never knew your parents are white supremacist nazis. Are they simps  and freaks as well?

Edited by Westside
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

How many Americans actually follow politics though?  I would venture a majority believe the whataboutism between debt forgiveness and PPP loans despite the latter being constitutional. 

You’re right, hell Half the country doesn’t even care anyway because they pay zero taxes… 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Joe Biden is the reason why Supreme Court nomination hearings are the way they are now.

First Bork, and the a strikeout vs Justice Thomas.

He started all this with his buddy Ted who if his name was not Kennedy would have been cooling his heels in prison for manslaughter or negligent homicide or something at the time

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Federal student loans have fixed interest rates, which means they won't vary over the life of the loan.

What is the interest rate on government backed student loans?
The maximum interest rates are 8.25% for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans made to undergraduate students, 9.50% for Direct Unsubsidized Loans made to graduate and professional students

Do government student loans have interest?
About 92 percent of student loan debt is federal, with interest rates ranging from 4.99 percent to 7.54 percent.

student loans have repayment terms as long as 20 years

These were very high interest rates for gov backed loans before the recent inflation. 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Federal student loans have fixed interest rates, which means they won't vary over the life of the loan.

The maximum interest rates are 8.25% for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans made to undergraduate students, 9.50% for Direct Unsubsidized Loans made to graduate and professional students

About 92 percent of student loan debt is federal, with interest rates ranging from 4.99 percent to 7.54 percent.

These were very high interest rates for gov backed loans before the recent inflation. 

So? No one forced them to sign the contract.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Thanks Alf

Those interest rates, if true, are incredibly high for long term debt. As I understand it the federal government’s been making a small fortune on the backs of students. Seems to me if Biden wanted to fix it he’d work with the Congress to attack that aspect first. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Seems to me if Biden wanted to fix it he’d work with the Congress to attack that aspect first. 

He wants votes.

He doesn't care if he 'fixes' anything

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Can businesses write off loses  on there income taxes like Trump always does ?  Do workers get paid from unemployment insurance when laid off ? Can students declare bankruptcy when they can't repay their student loan ?

Bankruptcy is often considered a last resort option because of the impacts it can have on your credit and the costs and time involved in filing for bankruptcy.

If you file for bankruptcy, any collections and payments on your student loans and other debts will automatically be paused until the case is over or a judge says that payments should restart. 

https://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/for-borrowers/dealing-with-student-loan-debt/loan-cancellation-forgiveness-bankruptcy/bankruptcy/

This means at least 17 percent of all COVID-19 EIDL and PPP funds were disbursed to potentially fraudulent actors. OIG collaboration with SBA, the U.S. Secret Service, other federal agencies, and financial institutions has resulted in nearly $30 billion in COVID-19 EIDL and PPP funds being seized or returned to SBA.

We estimate that SBA disbursed over $200 billion in potentially fraudulent COVID-19 EIDLs, EIDL Targeted Advances, Supplemental Targeted Advances, and PPP loans.

https://www.sba.gov/document/report-23-09-covid-19-pandemic-eidl-ppp-loan-fraud-landscape#:~:text=This means at least 17,seized or returned to SBA.

Edited by ALF

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12253451/amp/Democrat-slammed-complaining-student-debt-despite-owning-1-14-million-home.html

😭 😭 😂 😆 😆 

Another case showing why people who believe politicians are fools. 

I wonder if the local auto union will feel sad enough to start a go fund me to pay for this poor millionaires law degree… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Can you provide an update on:

• Trump Care
  • Trump's Infrastructure Plan
  • How much did Mexico pay for the Wall?

image.thumb.jpeg.39dbb07dda00f90450cf6398662c6a00.jpeg

I’d like a similar update on eliminating the filibuster, making DC and Puerto Rico States, and expanding the courts.  

Oh and your gun bans.   

How’s that all going.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’d like a similar update on eliminating the filibuster, making DC and Puerto Rico States, and expanding the courts.  

Oh and your gun bans.   

How’s that all going.  

Really? Did Biden bankroll his campaign on those items like Trump did with MEXICO WILL PAY FOR THE WALL? BTW, where did Trump get money for the Wall? Congress certainly did not fund the wall but how did he get away with it?

But this is fun - let's keep going!

1. Did Trump DRAIN THE SWAMP?
  2. Did Trump LOCK HER UP?
  3. Did Trump tell us he would no time to golf and then spend 356+ days GOLFING?
  4. Did Trump's tax cut works and fund themselves?  Nope.
  5. Did Trump's corporate tax cuts benefit American workers? Hell no, corporations spent their tax savings buying back stock.
  6. Trump promised his GREATEST ECONOMY EVER would grow 4 percent a year - HA - during his three years growth was 2.5% and well, we all know what Trump did to the economy his final year.
  7. Trump promised to eliminate the federal deficit - HA - LMAO - HE GREW IT OVER 60%
  8. What did Trump say about drug prices? LMAO???? They soared under his watch.
  9. Trump promised to end DACA. What happened?
  10. Trumps promised China would pay for his trade war - WRONG - Americans paid the bill and Trump had to bail out farmers.

BTW, are you going to answer the question on why blue states should continue to bail out "BOOMING" red states' operating budgets?

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Really? Did Biden bankroll his campaign on those items like Trump did with MEXICO WILL PAY FOR THE WALL? BTW, where did Trump get money for the Wall? Congress certainly did not fund the wall but how did he get away with it?

But this is fun - let's keep going!

1. Did Trump DRAIN THE SWAMP?
  2. Did Trump LOCK HER UP?
  3. Did Trump tell us he would no time to golf and then spend 356+ days GOLFING?
  4. Did Trump's tax cut works and fund themselves?  Nope.
  5. Did Trump's corporate tax cuts benefit American workers? Hell no, corporations spent their tax savings buying back stock.
  6. Trump promised his GREATEST ECONOMY EVER would grow 4 percent a year - HA - during his three years growth was 2.5% and well, we all know what Trump did to the economy his final year.
  7. Trump promised to eliminate the federal deficit - HA - LMAO - HE GREW IT OVER 60%
  8. What did Trump say about drug prices? LMAO???? They soared under his watch.
  9. Trump promised to end DACA. What happened?
  10. Trumps promised China would pay for his trade war - WRONG - Americans paid the bill and Trump had to bail out farmers.

BTW, are you going to answer the question on why blue states should continue to bail out "BOOMING" red states' operating budgets?

Legit everything is worse under Biden. 

You live in mom’s basement if you think otherwise.  

I already proved you don’t know what you’re talking about with spending - define red state again for us - can I make the case it’s Wisconsin because Scott Walker ran it for years?  Can I make the case North Carolina is blue bc it’s had a D governor.  

Florida had a D governor - lol Charlie Crist.  

There is no arguing the complexities of this with you bc you’re incapable.  

What’s not debatable is that lib policy deep blue ***t holes are being evacuated.  

Well run low tax low regulation and low grooming states are booming.  

Even further - wth is a Democrat in 2023 vs a Democrat in 1993?  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Legit everything is worse under Biden. 

You live in mom’s basement if you think otherwise.  

I already proved you don’t know what you’re talking about with spending - define red state again for us - can I make the case it’s Wisconsin because Scott Walker ran it for years?  Can I make the case North Carolina is blue bc it’s had a D governor.  

Florida had a D governor - lol Charlie Crist.  

There is no arguing the complexities of this with you bc you’re incapable.  

What’s not debatable is that lib policy deep blue ***t holes are being evacuated.  

Well run low tax low regulation and low grooming states are booming.  

Even further - wth is a Democrat in 2023 vs a Democrat in 1993?  

👆🤡 - couldn’t defend any of it so (because he can’t) because it is all true.

lmao

And ditz -  a simple yes or no will do - should blue states bail our thriving red states?

Yea or No

9 hours ago, ALF said:

Alf.  I'd had more sympathy if this wasn't known before they signed on the dotted line.  Not a fan of Biden telling people that he's going to forgive their student loan debt knowing that it didn't have the constitutional mustard to go through.  People made personal financial decisions counting on that debt being forgiven.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Alf.  I'd had more sympathy if this wasn't known before they signed on the dotted line.  Not a fan of Biden telling people that he's going to forgive their student loan debt knowing that it didn't have the constitutional mustard to go through.  People made personal financial decisions counting on that debt being forgiven.

So why don’t the “America First” GQP Congress do something for student loan payers? 

Republican’s pay student loans, too. 

But no - this would be viewed as a win for Biden; and not the American people. We know how you all think.

America last.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Joke only started promising it prior to the election so not sure how many made the decision to take out a college loan based on him.  But yes, he knew he couldn't do it and Nan told him he couldn't.  It was a lie to get people to vote for him and to make the Rs look bad when it rightfully got shot down.  But they don't care about what's right or wrong, just that they didn't get money back from the taxpayers, when it was the colleges who set the tuition costs and got the money. 

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

So why don’t the “America First” GQP Congress do something for student loan payers? 

Republican’s pay student loans, too. 

But no - this would be viewed as a win for Biden; and not the American people. We know how you all think.

America last.

Introduce bills like this that start to address the root cause of the problem.

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4049576-senate-republicans-introduce-plan-to-tackle-student-loan-debt/

The first two bills in the package specifically deal with how colleges give students information before they decide to attend. 

The “College Transparency Act (CTA)” would reform the college data reporting system so students have better information about outcomes at schools before committing to a university.

The “Understanding the True Cost of College Act” will require schools to have a similar style for their financial aid letters with a breakdown of the aid so students can better compare offers. 

The last three bills deal directly with student loans, including how information is given to borrowers and limiting some borrowing. 

The “Informed Student Borrower Act” requires students to be more informed when applying for a loan by acknowledging they received student loan entrance materials or they participated in entrance counseling.

The students would receive materials that show how long it would take to pay off their loans, how much the monthly payments would be and what they will likely make going to a certain school and program. The students would receive this information yearly.

The fourth bill addresses the nine different student loan repayment options the Department of Education offers. These options, with eligibility based on income and loan type, gave borrowers different timeline options for paying off their loans and the amount they would owe each month.

The bill cuts those repayment options down to two to simplify the process. The standard 10-year repayment plan for borrowers would remain and the REPAYE program would stay, with some changes. The REPAYE program gives loan forgiveness earlier to low-income individuals who have low balances on their loans.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Joke only started promising it prior to the election so not sure how many made the decision to take out a college loan based on him.  But yes, he knew he couldn't do it and Nan told him he couldn't.  It was a lie to get people to vote for him and to make the Rs look bad when it rightfully got shot down.  But they don't care about what's right or wrong, just that they didn't get money back from the taxpayers, when it was the colleges who set the tuition costs and got the money. 

I'm not talking about taking out a college loan.  I'm talking about spending money they were planning on saving to pay off their loans they assumed would be forgiven.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Introduce bills like this that start to address the root cause of the problem.

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4049576-senate-republicans-introduce-plan-to-tackle-student-loan-debt/

The first two bills in the package specifically deal with how colleges give students information before they decide to attend. 

The “College Transparency Act (CTA)” would reform the college data reporting system so students have better information about outcomes at schools before committing to a university.

The “Understanding the True Cost of College Act” will require schools to have a similar style for their financial aid letters with a breakdown of the aid so students can better compare offers. 

The last three bills deal directly with student loans, including how information is given to borrowers and limiting some borrowing. 

The “Informed Student Borrower Act” requires students to be more informed when applying for a loan by acknowledging they received student loan entrance materials or they participated in entrance counseling.

The students would receive materials that show how long it would take to pay off their loans, how much the monthly payments would be and what they will likely make going to a certain school and program. The students would receive this information yearly.

The fourth bill addresses the nine different student loan repayment options the Department of Education offers. These options, with eligibility based on income and loan type, gave borrowers different timeline options for paying off their loans and the amount they would owe each month.

The bill cuts those repayment options down to two to simplify the process. The standard 10-year repayment plan for borrowers would remain and the REPAYE program would stay, with some changes. The REPAYE program gives loan forgiveness earlier to low-income individuals who have low balances on their loans.

It’s not perfect but it’s a start.

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This is worse than saying Mexico will pay for the wall. Biden lied and he knew he was lying. Just to get the votes from the brain dead leftists who believed him.

But all you hear is Trump lied about the wall. Either way the wall was built and served it’s purpose until this administration let everyone and their families in unchecked.

27 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not talking about taking out a college loan.  I'm talking about spending money they were planning on saving to pay off their loans they assumed would be forgiven.

Got it.

6 minutes ago, Westside said:

This is worse than saying Mexico will pay for the wall. Biden lied and he knew he was lying. Just to get the votes from the brain dead leftists who believed him.

But all you hear is Trump lied about the wall. Either way the wall was built and served it’s purpose until this administration let everyone and their families in unchecked.

It's a dumb comparison (shocker).  No one counted on money from the wall being built like they did from their loans being paid-off. 

6 minutes ago, Westside said:

It's worse because it has a more direct economic impact of those effected.  It doesn't make Trump correct in lying about Mexico paying for the wall and then circumventing congress to redirect Pentagon funds to pay for portions of the wall.

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

👆🤡 - couldn’t defend any of it so (because he can’t) because it is all true.

lmao

And ditz -  a simple yes or no will do - should blue states bail our thriving red states?

Yea or No

I already proved you wrong and a moron.  

My work on this topic is done.  

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's worse because it has a more direct economic impact of those effected.  It doesn't make Trump correct in lying about Mexico paying for the wall and then circumventing congress to redirect Pentagon funds to pay for portions of the wall.

It’s worse because biden lied through his teeth. He used those foolish enough to believe him. To get there vote. At least Trump had the wall built, which actually was the main point. Not who would pay for it. Biden just lied period. 

2 hours ago, Westside said:

It’s worse because biden lied through his teeth. He used those foolish enough to believe him. To get there vote. At least Trump had the wall built, which actually was the main point. Not who would pay for it. Biden just lied period. 

Hoax.  The wall was not built.  Trump promised a sea-to-sea wall.  Last I checked, he didn't deliver.  Maybe the plan for the wall is next to the plan for repealing and replacing Obamacare in a bathroom at Mar-a-Lago.  Right next to all of the classified documents Trump intentionally retained.  

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Hoax.  The wall was not built.  Trump promised a sea-to-sea wall.  Last I checked, he didn't deliver.  Maybe the plan for the wall is next to the plan for repealing and replacing Obamacare in a bathroom at Mar-a-Lago.  Right next to all of the classified documents Trump intentionally retained.  

The wall has better odds to be built than biden student loan forgiveness plan.

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Section, you’re clearly a construction scheduling expert. 

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Wall/Mexico will pay for it: this is one of the strangest things about Trump's presidency. Of course Mexico wasn't going to take its own government funds to build a wall. I always understood this to mean that the Trump Administration - which had control of Congress! - would enact tariffs or probably a special excise tax on remittances to Mexico to create a dedicated fund to pay for "border security," i.e., a wall. And then ... no such tax (which could have been sold as a tax on Mexicans) was ever proposed, not even in Paul Ryan's huge tax package. Instead they tried the shady repurposing of U.S. taxpayer money, which was shot down as it was initially proposed, and that would have clearly been United States taxpayers paying for it anyway.

A lot of people get so worked up about Trump's abuses that they forget how inept the Trump Administration was in getting things done.

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The Wall/Mexico will pay for it: this is one of the strangest things about Trump's presidency. Of course Mexico wasn't going to take its own government funds to build a wall. I always understood this to mean that the Trump Administration - which had control of Congress! - would enact tariffs or probably a special excise tax on remittances to Mexico to create a dedicated fund to pay for "border security," i.e., a wall. And then ... no such tax (which could have been sold as a tax on Mexicans) was ever proposed, not even in Paul Ryan's huge tax package. Instead they tried the shady repurposing of U.S. taxpayer money, which was shot down as it was initially proposed, and that would have clearly been United States taxpayers paying for it anyway.

A lot of people get so worked up about Trump's abuses that they forget how inept the Trump Administration was in getting things done.

Control of Congress means a super-majority in the Senate.  No Dem was going to vote for a border wall because they want illegals streaming over the border.

• Agree 1