Did we do enough? I think we are getting there.

10 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I've heard it said kromer gets better results from players in their 2nd year in his system.  We will see on those returning and the new pieces might fit better.  Gotta think kromer had some input in the guys they brought in.

I’m sure he has input. Staffold was a Kromer guy. Staffold just can’t play anymore.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Say what you want but the salary cap does exist to a degree as if Josh was on his rookie deal you better believe we'd see even better players added. 

That's the point. Beane missed the window of opportunity. The oline should have been solidified way back then. 

Now he's in scramble mode and left scrapping at the leftovers due to his own doing. 

The bad: Beane's errors have cost the Bills likely super bowls.

The good: Beanes6 pick of Allen changed the franchise and has led to multiple playoff appearences. 

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

did we do enough What, exactly?

getting Where, exactly?

Did the team improve?  maybe, but that should not be the question.

Did we do enough to Win the Superbowl This Year.  I know the implied question is this.  But way more specifically, did we improve this unit enough to win it all?  And is this even the best question to ask?   I dont think it is.  

I'm not convinced that even if we swapped offensive lines with the Chiefs, or Bengals, or Eagles, or Niners, that we could beat any of them.

We need weapons.  And we need playmakers on Defense (who do actually make plays.  Besides Milano.   We do have good players.)

give me both of these, even with last year's O-Line, and we win this year (because one without the other is not gonna win this team a superbowl This year.  But weapons is the way more important of the two.  we are wasting a generational talent).

Weapons are nice but it all starts up front. That's the main reason why the Bills can't progress forward against the elites. 

Yes weapons clearly help but look at the Chiefs. They lacked weapons. 

The Bills have lots of potential weapons on offense. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea the salary cap exists…. And they are up against it without a ring because of failed moves by Beane and heavy defensive investments…. I’m questioning their strategy and their allocation of the cap dollars that they have had available. 

BINGO!!!!

45 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Very excited to see what Torrence can bring to the table.

I keep asking myself we did the guy drop so far?  He feel for a reason. Many were saying he's a good run blocker and a poor pass blocker. Hopefully, he can contribute this season. Hard to get overly excited about a rookie playing in a Bills win now mentality. 

Reminds me of the Cody Ford situation. We will see how he play. 

Some of you are so negative. On paper, this OL is drastically improved, even the depth. Even Harris has a great rep as a pass blocker (but Motor was good too). We'll see how it plays in reality but it is looking good, real good. More time for Josh plus new weapons = unstoppable offense.

As if improving a #2 offense is that easy with the salary cap! Results matter but "on paper" this has been quite impressive by Beane.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I keep asking myself we did the guy drop so far?  He feel for a reason. Many were saying he's a good run blocker and a poor pass blocker. Hopefully, he can contribute this season. Hard to get overly excited about a rookie playing in a Bills win now mentality. 

It’s a fair question.  I don’t claim to be an NFL talent evaluator myself, so hopefully Torrence proves a lot of teams wrong for passing on him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh geez we’d role the 49ers before they went on their vaunted win streak they played the same Chiefs team at home that the Bills played and beat in KC a week earlier and KC let up or they could have laid 50 on them. The Eagles had the easiest schedule in the league last year and we can definitely play with them .  

The only team that there is a question mark about is the Bengals that’s who their rival really is now. 

I must have missed when Bills beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The proof will come either way when the games kick off, for sure. Some things to consider.

1. Starting a statement out with "according to PFF" is pretty much like quoting Wikipedia as a source. PFF proves absolutely nothing and should be taken with a huge grain of salt IMO.

2. McGovern's strength is reported to be his pass blocking. Which was a huge weakness last year. Immediate pressure up the middle in Allen's face way too often. Being that he only has to be better than Saffold was last year...I think we can expect an upgrade. How much remains to be seen. Edwards spent much of last year injured, however prior to that was pretty solid under Kromer. It's logical to think he could have some bounce back. One of the 2 rookies was considered by some as the top G prospect in the draft. Gave up zero sacks in his college career and is a stout pass blocker. Again, reasonable to expect at some point him to be an improvement.

3. Harty and Sherfield are basically this year's McKenzie and Kumerow replacements. Being TD Jesus missed most of the year and McKenzie was at times a disaster...the bar there isn't real high for improvement, either. Now add in Kincaid as well to that mix and again, reasonable to believe the cumulative output will eclipse what we had last year.

While some (not directed at you) like to take the pessimistic approach and say that this changes aren't enough because they aren't already proven...other can see things from a different angle. And neither side is wrong...until the pads go on the games kick off and we see how everything blends together. What's interesting to me is that as a team coming off 13 wins, a top offense in the league and a perennial playoff team...we have a ton of competition for starting spots or meaningful roles going into this season. This should be fun!

1. The premise of tweet the thread is "according to PFF".    So why are you taking it up with me instead of the OP?

2. Since the premise of the thread is "according to PFF".........McGovern was terrible per pff.    Not bad as a pass blocker but totally unplayable bad in the run game.......and ya' know.........there isn't such a thing as a 3rd down guard now is there?

3. Yep Harty and Sherfield = McKenzie and Kumerow.........in enough ways that it wouldn't even be a surprise if they weren't an upgrade.   I do think that since he's a name changer it would be a show of solidarity for Deonte to change his last name to "Sharty" since he's part of Sherfield, Shakir and Shorter WR's 3-6 unit. 

And it's not about being optimistic or pessimistic..........you can dream on James Cook rushing for 2,000 yards and not be proven wrong until January.   It's about what is realistic to expect.   After guys are 4-5 years into the league they very rarely change from a nobody to a star out of nowhere.    It's pretty rare.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Our offense has ranked top 3 in points 3 straight seasons without a top OL.

They have ups and downs throughout every season. Saying they’re in trouble or going to be bad next year is a hot take. It’s not likely to happen unless Allen or Diggs miss games.

Who said the Bills offense is "in trouble or going to be bad next year"?

I've literally never seen someone say anything like that here or anywhere in print (edit: THIS offseason;)).

Unfortunately, the further we get into the offseason some people just forget that the games aren't played on paper.    At this time last year people were assuming Rodger Saffold was going to be a solid veteran addition and dreaming on what OJ Howard and Jamison Crowder were going to do in the Bills offense.     Some even thought Tavon Austin was about to come into his own.   Seriously, they were.   Maybe you were one of them? :lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

At the end of last season, Saffold posted on Twitter, about how much he enjoyed playing for the Bills.

I posted the somewhat cryptic question: Where are you playing, next year? 😇

He could buy into Daryl Williams offensive line camp business.........Trench Mob Academy........and make it "The Mob That Beane Built".

https://www.facebook.com/people/Trench_Mobb_academy/100087945522389/

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1. The premise of tweet the thread is "according to PFF".    So why are you taking it up with me instead of the OP?

2. Since the premise of the thread is "according to PFF".........McGovern was terrible per pff.    Not bad as a pass blocker but totally unplayable bad in the run game.......and ya' know.........there isn't such a thing as a 3rd down guard now is there?

3. Yep Harty and Sherfield = McKenzie and Kumerow.........in enough ways that it wouldn't even be a surprise if they weren't an upgrade.   I do think that since he's a name changer it would be a show of solidarity for Deonte to change his last name to "Sharty" since he's part of Sherfield, Shakir and Shorter WR's 3-6 unit. 

And it's not about being optimistic or pessimistic..........you can dream on James Cook rushing for 2,000 yards and not be proven wrong until January.   It's about what is realistic to expect.   After guys are 4-5 years into the league they very rarely change from a nobody to a star out of nowhere.    It's pretty rare.

To me, the 3 names you just dropped as newcomers: McGovern, Harty, and Sharfield... are scrubs that their teams didn't want to keep. I'm by no means writing them off, but my expectations are low. I also had zero expectations for Cole Beasley from the Cowboys though, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised again.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok...

1.  I was responding to you. I included my thoughts on PFF and their accuracy. 

2. McGovern was "totally unplayable" in run blocking...but somehow the Cowboys managed to end up 8th overall in rushing yards last year with a broke down Zeke handling a lot of the runs. Odd. Being that he has to replace Saffold if McGovern doesn't fall over at the snap...there's an upgrade. And even if he does it may still work better.

3. Half of what you reply here is utter nonsense. But I will reply with this. McKenzie wasn't a trail blazer. 42 catches for a bit over 400 yards is what he had. In this offense it's almost silly to think production out of the slot won't be upgraded between Sherfield, Harty and Kincaid. 

Nowhere did I say anything about Cook going for 2,000 yards or anyone being a "star". Making things up to overblow your opinion is a weird thing to do. Fortunately, we don't need stars. We need football players that play a role on the team. Cook will have a role. Harty, Sherfield, Kincaid, Cook, Harris....none of them have to be NFL All Pros. They need to play their spot and make the most of opportunity. Will they? I have no idea. But neither do you.  That's the whole point. 

• Disagree 1

Brown is absolutely the key to this line. I think every other position on that line is set for 2023, and can be an elite unit.

But a line is only as good as its weakest link.  Brown has to take that next step that we have all thought he is capable of.

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

AJ Espenesa are you listening? 

Boogie are you listening? 

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Great post. Very good read. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We’ve talked about this many times but man it still amazes me how we only lost 3 games with arguably the most important unit on the team being a total crap fest.

They were saved by a soft schedule.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

According to PFF they addressed their interior OL problem with 2 OL that were bad in 2022 and two rookies.

I get that fans want to imagine that guys like McGovern, Edwards, Harty and Sherfield will all play SO MUCH better than they were last year because Beane's crystal ball has foretold it...........but they are just shots in the dark not an indication that they've surely made strides in those areas of weakness.

All true. They've addressed depth, not talent.

By this point, Beane should have earmarked a first round pick and big money free agent for the OL. Instead it's deck chairs. 

Edited by Airseven
  • Agree 1

NO, they didn't go far enough.  these are more band aid fixes from Beane.  For some reason, they don't value the OL but are in love with the DL.

I hope they find a way to do a LOT better than I expect.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea the salary cap exists…. And they are up against it without a ring because of failed moves by Beane and heavy defensive investments…. I’m questioning their strategy and their allocation of the cap dollars that they have had available. 

When fans cry about the team not having cap space they tend to forget that it’s only because it already got spent on something. It’s a choice made, not a random tragedy that’s befallen the team. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It depends on whether your goal is to be a perineal contender hoping to catch lightning at some point or go all in and sacrifice the future for your best chance to win the Superbowl now.

Edited by bmur66

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Torrence did get mocked in the late first round by some. But I also saw him graded as a late day 2 and even round 4. Concerns include him being power scheme specific and lacking lateral agility - especially in pass pro. Basically that he’s a huge, strong, mauler, but he isn’t particularly fleet of foot. I’m glad that the OL was addressed in the draft, but we will have to wait and see how he pans out. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

That's the point. Beane missed the window of opportunity. The oline should have been solidified way back then. 

Now he's in scramble mode and left scrapping at the leftovers due to his own doing. 

The bad: Beane's errors have cost the Bills likely super bowls.

It's absolutely true that Beane has not - yet - built a Super Bowl quality roster.

But it's hard to talk about errors.  He tried to fix everything all at once - within the mighty restraints of the salary cap.  And he's been largely successful.  This is the best squad we've had since the early 90s. 

But, yeah, Beane tried to fix the OL mostly on the cheap with journeymen and it hasn't worked out.  You would think that getting a capable bodyguard for your generational QB would have been a bigger priority.  

I wonder, though, if he had spent more on the OL, who wouldn't we have right now?  Diggs?  Miller?  Someone else? 

The bottom line is this.  Our roster isn't the best in the NFL.  But, each year, it's one of the best.  With a little luck, we'll get a trophy before McD and Beane are done.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This upcoming seasons O-line is unlikely to be worse, so we got that going for us…, 

This is about where I am at.

Looks good on paper. And i will buy in.
Injuries last season again were tough. And more things. 

Expected much more from Kromer honestly.

But yes, I think the whole offense will be better rounded and a better unit overall. That will include the O line in the run and protection.

Just how I roll

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They *might* but it's definitely not "likely".   Way too many other factors could make that not the case.    No different than saying adding a player will make us win X amount more games.    Can't quantify it like that.

Or like Aaron Rodgers *might* return to being the league MVP now that he's away from the toxic relationship he had with Green Bay management.......and the Jets *might* then be a SB contender with Rodgers opposite last years #1 defense.  

I'm not just trying to point out the negative...........I mean, if Von Miller is back healthy or AJ Epenesa has a breakout year or Rousseau and Oliver make big improvements the Bills *might* have the best pass rush in football.   Could happen too.    

Depends on what Dorsey asks of his troops and how Kromer executes.

Crap players can look good when the players are put in a position to win their matchups each week.

The NFL is full of Could, might and likely to.

Thats one of the reasons its so popular with the betting types

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Did we do enough?  Probably not.  We certainly don't have the best roster in the NFL. 

But it's a good roster - somewhat better than last season's squad, I think. 

And sometimes the best roster doesn't take home the Lombardi.  It's certainly not a certainty.  It's not even a probability.  But we have a legit shot.  

Yep. and thanks for that POV

5 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I disagree with each of your points.

I'm not sure what the first one even means, but how do you propose to stop the Niners offense if we swapped? 

We would Not beat the Eagles if we swapped offensive lines.  Their defenders actually make plays.  Their weapons are better than ours.

But i dont care about rivals.   I care about winning the superbowl This year.   I'm not talking about the next 5-10 years.  And even still, if we swapped O-line with the Bengals this year, do we Win the Superbowl this year?  I dont think so.  because we still wouldnt have weapons needed nor playmakers needed.

The 49ers played one team with a winning record till the playoffs 1. And once again I will point out that the same Chiefs team who the Bills best in KC one week earlier went into San Francisco and destroyed the vaunted 49ers defense. 
Josh Allen’s oline as you see ranked 30th…the Eagles Oline was 1. Give Jalen Hurts this oline and give the Allen the Eagles oline and keep the weapons the same you going to tell me the Eagles beat the Bills? As for their defense making plays the final score in the Super Bowl was 38-35. 

3 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I must have missed when Bills beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.

Oh I must have missed the Bills beating the Chiefs in KC 24-20 a week before the 49ers/Chiefs which was checks notes 44-23

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

By this point, Beane should have earmarked a first round pick and big money free agent for the OL. Instead it's deck chairs. 

Really well put. We just have to hope the depth is talented. It better be because several of them need to play well. McGovern will be a starter and the WRs should play quite a bit. 

When you don't have cap space you grab what you can. 

It appears the following years are going to be problematic too. 

Is the Bills dynasty run closing soon? Seems likely but who knows. Allen is a great stabilizer. 

In the back of my head I'm wondering if Josh would ever leave if he felt like the Bills Org just doesn't have it. 

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Josh Allen’s oline as you see ranked 30th…the Eagles Oline was 1.

Give Jalen Hurts this oline and give the Allen the Eagles oline and keep the weapons the same you going to tell me the Eagles beat the Bills? 

yes.  yes i am.

because the eagles will at least make a few plays on defense.

Because the eagles' offense has better weapons.

Because Jalen Can run, if necessary.  he is no statue.

And yes, if the Bills' defense cant make plays against a bad team with a bad line (or even a bad team with a good line), how can they make plays against a very good team with a bad line?

We need 2 things.  Defensive playmakers (and for them to make plays, since our defense is not predicated on dictating terms), and Weapons.  An O-line is probably 4th but, since we have a defensive coach who should be able to mask problems with any defensive group, l'll put O-line third in importance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Stats say their schedule strength was 7th but hey maybe that’s soft to some people 

7 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

yes.  yes i am.

because the eagles will at least make a few plays on defense.

Because the eagles' offense has better weapons.

Because Jalen Can run, if necessary.  he is no statue.

And yes, if the Bills' defense cant make plays against a bad team with a bad line (or even a bad team with a good line), how can they make plays against a very good team with a bad line?

We need 2 things.  Defensive playmakers (and for them to make plays, since our defense is not predicated on dictating terms), and Weapons.  An O-line is probably 4th but, since we have a defensive coach who should be able to mask problems with any defensive group, l'll put O-line third in importance.

You are the only one on maybe planet earth who believes Josh Allen behind the Eagles oline wouldn’t be better than Jalen Hurts behind the Bills line so you got that going for ya. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Well that is the most glass-half-full post i’ve seen in a while haha. Well done.

It is a Bill Murray caddie shack inspired post, 😁👍

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's absolutely true that Beane has not - yet - built a Super Bowl quality roster.

But it's hard to talk about errors.  He tried to fix everything all at once - within the mighty restraints of the salary cap.  And he's been largely successful.  This is the best squad we've had since the early 90s. 

But, yeah, Beane tried to fix the OL mostly on the cheap with journeymen and it hasn't worked out.  You would think that getting a capable bodyguard for your generational QB would have been a bigger priority.  

I wonder, though, if he had spent more on the OL, who wouldn't we have right now?  Diggs?  Miller?  Someone else? 

The bottom line is this.  Our roster isn't the best in the NFL.  But, each year, it's one of the best.  With a little luck, we'll get a trophy before McD and Beane are done.  

OL could have been built through the draft, take you pick of all the whiffs and look at what we could have had.   Had he found a real pass rush with all the capital spent on DL, Miller wouldn’t have been needed and money would be available for OL too. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh I must have missed the Bills beating the Chiefs in KC 24-20 a week before the 49ers/Chiefs which was checks notes 44-23

Which means what? Indy beat the Chiefs last regular season too. Does that mean Indy is better than KC and wouldn’t have to worry about them anymore? Cincy beat KC in the regular season last year but lost to them in the playoffs. Do you think Bengals fans are bragging about that regular season win while the Chiefs went on to get another superbowl ring? Well maybe they do. They’re Bengals fans after all.

Some fans gotta stop hanging on to meaningless regular season wins over KC. Chiefs still ended up with better playoffs seeding last year despite losing that regular season game. A great win for Buffalo but ultimately meaningless. I don’t care if Bills lose at KC this fall just beat them when it matters…in the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You [maddenboy] are the only one on maybe planet earth who believes Josh Allen behind the Eagles oline wouldn’t be better than Jalen Hurts behind the Bills line so you got that going for ya. 

at no point did i say that Hurts would outplay Allen

I said, and still say, that the Eagles would still beat the Bills if the teams switched lines.

This is not a thread about comparing two teams, per se.  It is about whether we did enough to Win the Super Bowl This year.   My point is that, no matter whose O-Line we have, the rest of the team as constituted is not winning the superbowl This year.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Disagree 1

Just now, maddenboy said:

I said, and still say, that the Eagles would still beat the Bills if the teams switched lines.

This is not a thread about comparing two teams, per se.  It is about whether we did enough to Win the Super Bowl This year.   My point is that, no matter whose O-Line we have, the rest of the team as constituted is not winning the superbowl This year.

We will find out this year if you’re right won’t we 

8 hours ago, uticaclub said:

They have made Oline moves in the past, they have just kept missing.

Anytime you bring under performing offensive line help from other teams that did not want to keep these players, then Buffalo overpay's them, then yeah thats a huge problem.

This team is allergic to drafting OL position players, but this year it happened.  We are notorious for over paying players that don't perform or deserve the salary our team pays them on both sides of the line  The D-Line is not excluded here either.

Edited by Toyo321

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We will find out this year if you’re right won’t we 

i hope not.  I dont want to be proven right.

I hope its not too late to add a weapon.  or a playmaker (leonard floyd is a good start).  

Not a personnel guru so i cant name names.   But i hope something changes because these weapons and these defenders arent enuf.

6 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

This is what happens to fans when the team can’t get it done. We play hypotheticals.

nah

this is what fans do to have discourse on a fan website.

Otherwise i coulda just replied to the OP with "no."   What fun would That be?

or to your bigger point, yes.   The Bills could save us all a whole lotta grief.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.