Deep Sea or Space

Irv

Probably not the best time to ask this but I am curious.  If given the option, and it was free, would you go down to the Titanic in a submersible or get shot up into space in a rocket?  What's behind your answer?  They both look pretty ******* dangerous to me.  

Neither.  

If forced to choose, probably space .. we know more about the physics and safety of leaving earth/re-entry than we do deep sea exploration. 

However, I have a tremendous amount of respect for those with the bravery and sense of wonder to go do those things.

Society is better with those people as part of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Irv said:

Probably not the best time to ask this but I am curious.  If given the option, and it was free, would you go down to the Titanic in a submersible or get shot up into space in a rocket?  What's behind your answer?  They both look pretty ******* dangerous to me.  

Don't go where you're not naturally equipped to survive.

• Agree 1

Definitely space. There’s at least some breathtaking views and zero gravity experience.

The thought about staring out into complete darkness from a cramped tiny vessel doesn’t speak to me although I am impressed by people who would do that.

Probably should have done a poll, but I think its space easily, even if its just based on the opportunity is rarer I would imagine.

While I wouldnt mind either, the whole blasting off seems like it would be fun to travel that fast, and the weightlessness and views would seem to be amazing.

My curiosity for the deep sea stuff is there, like I want to know whats down there, the experience overall just seems like it would be worse. Cramped, not much visibility etc

46 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So that means I can't go to Arizona?

😏

There are civilized parts with air conditioning. There's also areas of endless gruelling desert. So yeah, there are parts I won't go to.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't go where you're not naturally equipped to survive.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So that means I can't go to Arizona?

Or Buffalo.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There are civilized parts with air conditioning. There's also areas of endless gruelling desert. So yeah, there are parts I won't go to.

Air conditioners and furnaces aren't natural. The fact is, humans live in climates where we aren't naturally equipped to survive, but using technology, we control the internal climate. Spacecraft and ocean vessels are just extensions of climate-control technology. When something goes wrong with the technology, the result can be death, as in the people who die during heatwaves or deep freezes because power is out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Whatever doesn’t know lol you makes you stronger. Or so they say.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Deep sea.  Not sure I could withstand the G forces of liftoff.

Not in that little craft which is probably lost though.

In a bathyscaphe - I have been in once when working.  Did not go very deep however.

The forces at liftoff are not that great.

Space for me, but not the way it is now.

I am more an a Apollo era guy. 

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Or Buffalo.

Air conditioners and furnaces aren't natural. The fact is, humans live in climates where we aren't naturally equipped to survive, but using technology, we control the internal climate. Spacecraft and ocean vessels are just extensions of climate-control technology. When something goes wrong with the technology, the result can be death, as in the people who die during heatwaves or deep freezes because power is out. 

Good point!

BUT I argue that fire is more natural.  NASA determined in the 1950s (1958 to be exact) ....THAT the human body can survive from about 4°C to 35°C (39°F to 95°F)... Basically unprotected.

https://www.nib.com.au/the-checkup/what's-the-hottest-temperature-the-human-body-can-cope-with

I don't need a furnace really to keep my house 40°F...  Even when it's really cold.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I'd rather get to see the Earth from space than look at a mass grave at the bottom of the ocean.

Agreed.  Although it could be interesting to visit unexplored parts of the ocean.  Places nobody has ever been before.  We literally have no idea what we’d encounter.   Could be nothing, could change everything.   

Fox was interviewing a guy who’s been on one of these dives and he described the descent .. 3-4 hours of free fall through the dark, but you see the phosphorus light from the sea creatures all around you light up outside the window..  that visual does seem pretty wild.  

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In case you have heard yet, they found the sub blown to bits. Imploded from the enormous pressure. At least they went fast rather than slowly running out of air.

Can't be that bad. Why fight it... Try to sleep as much as you can to conserve oxygen... Hopefully you don't wake up.

Gotta be better than instantly turned into this:

01d10ef8-466b-4a1e-9c7e-237e26d4dc41_1.9

9766C9CA36C636735643D2139CC99CD23616B593

• Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Can't be that bad. Why fight it... Try to sleep as much as you can to conserve oxygen... Hopefully you don't wake up.

Gotta be better than instantly turned into this:

01d10ef8-466b-4a1e-9c7e-237e26d4dc41_1.9

9766C9CA36C636735643D2139CC99CD23616B593

Better to go unexpectedly in a flash than linger for days knowing rescue is unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In case you have heard yet, they found the sub blown to bits. Imploded from the enormous pressure. At least they went fast rather than slowly running out of air.

Agree. It was interesting to hear the dumb ass reporters ask if the Coast Guard had thoughts on recovering the bodies.   Sad.  Sounds like the Navy had some secret ***** that they knew they imploded.  But that national secret *****.  Still sad.  May all of the dead the rest in peace.  

Edited by Irv
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Irv said:

Agree. It was interesting to hear the dumb ass reporters ask if the Coast Guard had thoughts on recovering the bodies.   Sad.  Sounds like the Navy had some secret ***** that they knew they imploded.  But that national secret *****.  Still sad.  May all of the dead the rest in peace.  

Good thing we keep our national secret ***** secret! 😏 

11 hours ago, Irv said:

Space. Definitely space. Way more time, money, and professional expertise has been spent doing that.  We are way better at it as a species.  Plus, I think the payoff is better with what you get to see and experience.  

22 hours ago, Draconator said:

Space. The idea of being weightless even for 5 minutes is super cool to me. 

You can book a ride on an airplane with a gutted interior....they go way up to like 40,000 feet, and then go into a dive.  For  like 45 seconds or so, while in that dive, you become weightless and might as well be in space from that perspective.  You can float around the plane and do somersaults, etc.

Check it out!

zero-gravity-tampa-550.jpg

I would take space over deep sea.  The ocean scares the hell out of me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.