Eat Crow: Your most embarrassing Bills opinions

Mikie2times

I thought CJ Spiller was on his way to being a legit top end starter after his 1700 combined yard season.   He seemed to be on a path that would have been similar to what Kamara eventually became later on for the Saints.  But nope, he flamed out immediately and was a one hit wonder the likes of Peyton Hills.  

While clearly my biggest miss, I take solace that it came off the back of a pretty big season by him where he lead the league in YPC and had

1700 combined yards.  But he definitely fooled me lol 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yep that’s my biggest one by far. Can’t be any happier to be that wrong.

Mine was even worse 'cos it wasn't particularly that I was pro Rosen (though he was my QB1)... I was ABA... Anyone But Allen. I felt like I'd seen that film - big toolsy guy, questionable decision maker and raw mechanics - too often and the ending was always the same.

Delighted to be wrong.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mine was even worse 'cos it wasn't particularly that I was pro Rosen (though he was my QB1)... I was ABA... Anyone But Allen. I felt like I'd seen that film - big toolsy guy, questionable decision maker and raw mechanics - too often and the ending was always the same.

Delighted to be wrong.

Mine was worst. 

Glad Allen had lots of help to help him grow as a player (coaches and others). Plus his desire to be a great QB. Glad he is here.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:51 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought CJ Spiller was on his way to being a legit top end starter after his 2000 combined yard season.   He seemed to be on a path that would have been similar to what Kamara eventually became later on for the Saints.  But nope, he flamed out immediately and was a one hit wonder the likes of Peyton Hills.  

While clearly my biggest miss, I take solace that it came off the back of a pretty big season by him where he lead the league in YPC and had over 2000 combined yards.  But he definitely fooled me lol 

You've had worse takes than that......but that one is pretty bad.    

First of all........he never approached a 2,000 yard season.  

Only had 2 seasons over 1,000 total yards from scrimmage in his career.

And CJ was playing in the "all-22" era and what was abundantly obvious to anyone willing to watch was that he couldn't process the play calls and was just running to what he perceived was daylight on every play.    Steve Tasker let the cat out of the bag during a telecast his rookie year when he said CJ wasn't playing because he couldn't process the play calls.  

Since most Bills fans thought guys like Willis McGahee and Travis Henry were total idiots they didn't really understand just how big the difference that there was in intelligence between Spiller and the average RB.  That's also why CJ didn't start at Clemson until his senior year despite backing up a non-NFL RB James Davis.   Coaches don't want to live and die by players freestyling.

On the plus side,  many of his big plays were just total nonsense run choices where the defense followed the blocking,  presuming that was where the ball was going, and CJ just ran the wrong way for a big gain.    Total idiot move drafting him by Buddy and Chan.......but what Chan Gailey coaxed out of him was a miracle.

I still remember TSW talking about how good CJ was going to be in Sean Payton's more complicated offense.   Hilarious.  :lol: 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You've had worse takes than that......but that one is pretty bad.    

First of all........he never approached a 2,000 yard season.  

Only had 2 seasons over 1,000 total yards from scrimmage in his career.

And CJ was playing in the "all-22" era and what was abundantly obvious to anyone willing to watch was that he couldn't process the play calls and was just running to what he perceived was daylight on every play.    Steve Tasker let the cat out of the bag during a telecast his rookie year when he said CJ wasn't playing because he couldn't process the play calls.  

Since most Bills fans thought guys like Willis McGahee and Travis Henry were total idiots they didn't really understand just how big the difference that there was in intelligence between Spiller and the average RB.  That's also why CJ didn't start at Clemson until his senior year despite backing up a non-NFL RB James Davis.   Coaches don't want to live and die by players freestyling.

On the plus side,  many of his big plays were just total nonsense run choices where the defense followed the blocking,  presuming that was where the ball was going, and CJ just ran the wrong way for a big gain.    Total idiot move drafting him by Buddy and Chan.......but what Chan Gailey coaxed out of him was a miracle.

I still remember TSW talking about how good CJ was going to be in Sean Payton's more complicated offense.   Hilarious.  :lol: 

It was 1700 yards, it’s been a while.  Still he fooled me after a 1700 combined yard season.  

And don’t make me laugh with the rest of your stupid post lol.  I will put my track record up a thousand times over against your ridiculous resume of terrible and comical takes.  

On 6/24/2023 at 12:51 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought CJ Spiller was on his way to being a legit top end starter after his 2000 combined yard season.   He seemed to be on a path that would have been similar to what Kamara eventually became later on for the Saints.  But nope, he flamed out immediately and was a one hit wonder the likes of Peyton Hills.  

While clearly my biggest miss, I take solace that it came off the back of a pretty big season by him where he lead the league in YPC and had over 2000 combined yards.  But he definitely fooled me lol 

I hear you.

Which leads me to think Chan Gailey was a genius when it came to just offense.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/19/2023 at 5:42 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I have so many but a few that jump out:

- The Watkins move was the right move at the time.

- Josh Rosen was my favorite QB in that draft. 
- Whitner was an okay pick at the time.

- If drafted 10 years later, Roscoe Parrish would have been a star.

- Jim Kelly is the most overrated player in franchise history. He was a good QB but not an all-time great. (Not sure that this is embarrassing but controversial).

- Marv Levy held the early 90’s teams back. (Again not embarrassing but controversial)

I’m with you on jim kelly and Marv , Kelly was atrocious in the postseason, something like 33 turnovers when you add fumbles and picks. 

Not my opinion (really), but back in the day on the defunct BBMB, someone claimed Losman, Evans, and McGahee were the new Kelly, Reed, and Thomas. Even then, most people there didn't go for that one, but it shows you how hopeful people were.

[And I am staying off that toxic thread here that's been going on here for a few days. More fun just sitting back reading it with my popcorn. One poster there needs to stop responding to everyone.]

47 minutes ago, chongli said:

Not my opinion (really), but back in the day on the defunct BBMB, someone claimed Losman, Evans, and McGahee were the new Kelly, Reed, and Thomas. Even then, most people there didn't go for that one, but it shows you how hopeful people were.

[And I am staying off that toxic thread here that's been going on here for a few days. More fun just sitting back reading it with my popcorn. One poster there needs to stop responding to everyone.]

I was on the old BBMB. Avid poster.

3 things I remember the most:

1. The push for Bill Cowher that led to Chan Gailey after we fired Dick Jauron. The night we hired Chan, it was like I felt the entire disappointment and sheer anger through the computer screen. An absolute miserable time as a fan when Nix and Gailey were the top guys here. Legit dinosaurs those 2 were.

2. The Bryant Johnson FA signing. We all convinced ourselves he was the new Jerry Rice and we had to do whatever it took to get him to Buffalo. Days and weeks went by with rumors of his signing only to have vanished like a fart in the wind. When confirmed he wasn’t coming here, the board had a meltdown and server crashed.

3. The poster BeastoftheEast. Guy was a prophet over there. Any and everything he posted was treated as gospel. A true legend.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, McBean said:

3. The poster BeastoftheEast. Guy was a prophet over there. Any and everything he posted was treated as gospel. A true legend.

I remember him, and some others like Jay Fiedler and JBinATL. Some posters there post here now. Undertaker was notorious. Often wondered if he was really Jerry Sullivan, lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve had a history of pretty awful takes.

1.  I thought Aaron Maybin was going to be the next Shawne Merriman

2.  I didn’t understand why we were playing Kyle Williams over John Mccargo

3.  Didn’t understand why we were playing Fred Jackson over CJ Spiller

4.  I thought the Reggie Bush signing was going to put us over the top in the AFC East

5.  I thought we drafted the wrong Josh.  Rosen in my mind was ready to play.

6.  I bought my season tickets within a week of us hiring Rex Ryan.  He was going to be our guy

7.  I spent most of my childhood hating Kenneth Davis and didn’t appreciate him until he left.

On 6/25/2023 at 3:53 PM, Another Fan said:

I hear you.

Which leads me to think Chan Gailey was a genius when it came to just offense.  

Considering Chan starters on offense included a 7th Round QB (Fitzpatrick), a 1st Round RB (Spiller)/an undrafted RB (Fred Jackson) and 7th Round (Stevie Johnson) and undrafted WRs (Donald Jones and David Nelson) and 4th Round TE (Scott Chandler) he did quite a bit with "subpar talent"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I went to the 2018 draft with my brother.  We were tailgating in the parking lot.  As we were eating Earl Campbell sausages,  He asked me what the Bills were going to do. Of course we knew it would be a QB.  

I told him my nightmare scenario was for the Bills to trade up and take Josh Allen.

I wanted Lamar Jackson which wouldn't have been a bad pick either.  

My "nightmare scenario" worked out pretty good though.

• Like (+1) 2

A few days ago on one of the cooking channels they showed a rerun of Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods" episode on the Ozarks. One dish they featured were bacon-wrapped crow breasts. As it turned out, "eating crow" is not always as disgusting as it sounds.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrW said:

A few days ago on one of the cooking channels they showed a rerun of Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods" episode on the Ozarks. One dish they featured were bacon-wrapped crow breasts. As it turned out, "eating crow" is not always as disgusting as it sounds.

Tastes like chicken.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:47 PM, Mikie2times said:

Cleanse yourself 😂 

Okay, 

something something Losman something something.,, I am truly ashamed…, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.