Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

6 is a number.  It’s the number of points the Vikings were awarded for Diggs last second TD against the Saints.  The story it tells is that the game had a different winner because of it.

wasn't a closeout game.  try to keep up, "Irwin Dwyer"....

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

wasn't a closeout game.  try to keep up, "Irwin Dwyer"....

It closed out the Saints.  

Seriously dude you come on here trashing everything about the Bills constantly.  Who is the Pats best receiver?  JuJu?  It’s a joke.

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

Their OL is also at different level than the Bills. I believe they were #2 last year and the Bills were #26. 

There could be several reasons for that as well. There was talk about mahomes getting rid of the ball quicker. One of Allen’s strengths is extending plays but that can led to more sacks. Also, it’s not like the Bills have ignored improving the oline. They have an expensive LT and C. They have tried other FAs. They have drafted guys. They traded away an all pro G. 

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I don't disagree.   Not everyone chases a ring, and even if they are looking for a ring, the dollars still are important.   

But some guys are different. 

Von Miller came to Buffalo, and he could have done better elsewhere.  He could have been closer to home, in a friendlier tax environment (which in his case could have been worth a million alone), in a warmer climate, and still on a contender.  

Chris Paul's contract may not have changed, but he wouldn't agree to go to just any team to be a backup point guard.   He's happy to be in Golden State for one reason: a shot at a ring. 

Brady played for less for several seasons in New England.   

Von got an insane contract for his age and injury issues here. Let’s not pretend like he just came here to win. Dude is getting paid and it’s very clear he’s at the end of career.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right.  He's going to a team that has a shot.  Not a top contender, but if things fall right, he could be happy in January.  

I can't say there are many great receivers I really like, as people or personalities or teammates.  Not OBJ, not DHop, even Diggs rankles me.  I admire their great skill, but I always wonder if they make their teams better.  DHop had Watson and Murray as QBs, and they didn't win.  Lots of reasons, maybe, but he was the answer for neither team.  I wish him well, but I'll be surprised if he makes one of those QBs an all-star.  OBJ, too.  The one success OBJ had was as a role player with the Rams. 

I like Tyreek Hill.   He just goes out and does his job.  He knows he's a special talent, but he never seems to make it about Tyreek.  

I definitely agree with the diva part of receivers. They are extremely annoying and put themselves before the team. 

but I think you should read up on Tyreek a little more. 😬

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he means they were at one point 7-3... which demonstrates that isn't a team without hope. But I think they are in a bit of a rebuild mode. 

Why do you say that? They drafted an rb this year and qbs the last 2 years that they feel good about. I think they are going all out for a playoff run and bringing that gap for their qb and rb replacements. I kinda like what they are doing. 

I still will never respect the titans and their madden create a team franchise though. 

7 hours ago, arcane said:

If Toney and Skyy Moore count as investments that show high prioritization relative to the Bills'additions...

I wouldn't trade Shakir, Harty and sherfield for Moore and Toney

I want better receivers too but your "at least the chiefs" stretch just tore your groin 

Eh, that’s kinda crazy. I would do that deal in a heartbeat. Those chiefs guys were a million times more talented coming out of college and are very young. The Bills guy have been journeymen and a 7th round rookie. Both groups have a lot to prove but 99% of fans would make that trade in a second. 

17 hours ago, NyQuil said:

Well since this happened on a Sunday you had better avoid sports radio for the next couple days. National radio will have analysis and WGR will have tons of callers frothing at the mouth that Beane didn't figure out a way to free up money to sign him/

Too bad there is not a way to test if posters have rabies before talking.

image.png.4ed61a0577c765b590c458d321b20ba4.png

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Von got an insane contract for his age and injury issues here. Let’s not pretend like he just came here to win. Dude is getting paid and it’s very clear he’s at the end of career.

I definitely agree with the diva part of receivers. They are extremely annoying and put themselves before the team. 

but I think you should read up on Tyreek a little more. 😬

I k now about Von's deal, but when he came it was clear he could have done better in areas where he preferred to live.  He got great dough, yes, but he came or the rings.

You're the second to tell me I'm wrong about Hill.  I'm convinced without more.  Thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

It closed out the Saints.  

Seriously dude you come on here trashing everything about the Bills constantly.  Who is the Pats best receiver?  JuJu?  It’s a joke.

"Everything"...lol "dude" your act is so old.  

You've been called out.

No one should be surprised.  Everyone who knew what they were talking about always said that DHop to Buffalo was a ping shot unless he significantly lowered his demands.  Even Beane said so at his press conference.  

I think it was Hopkins camp and some fans posing as insiders who fans the flames and ended up greatly misrepresenting the situation  

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

No one should be surprised.  Everyone who knew what they were talking about always said that DHop to Buffalo was a ping shot unless he significantly lowered his demands.  Even Beane said so at his press conference.  

I think it was Hopkins camp and some fans posing as insiders who fans the flames and ended up greatly misrepresenting the situation  

It was obvious to me when I saw he a.) Took the Titans visit and b.) That he posted a picture of him being picked up in a Titans vehicle that they (embarrassingly) had an image created of him plastered on monitors wearing a Titans uniform and helmet that said "Welcome to Tennessee!" like some fanboys, that it was over. It was clear then that given their situation, they'd do whatever it took.

Taking a discount to play with a winning team only goes so far. And when Tennessee came into the picture offering 2 years, 26 guaranteed (up to 32) - it was just a matter of time before he had to accept it or they'd pull the offer. He waited hoping someone like us or KC would come close. But when neither would, he had to take it before that money disappeared.

Any player would have done the same. "Playing for a ring" is a romantic fan idea, but not one based in reality. Players will do that if the winning team is in the ballpark of the top offers. But at no point were we, or any other winning team, going to come close to paying a 31 Year Old WR that kind of money this late in the offseason. Especially when we're paying Stefon Diggs what we're paying him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Sometimes things happen for a reason...

This reminds me of Antonio Brown or JJ Watt. He chose money over a real shot at a ring. We will see.

the way you phrased this made me think.

Maybe a real shot at a ring is way more valuable than money.   And is only second to an actual ring.

Maybe its the war stories, and challenges, and striving beyond your ability, etc.

I wonder if Barry Sanders would give up 1 million dollars (good money for an NFL running back, back then) to play in 4 superbowls, even if he knew he lost them all.  I think that I would.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

the way you phrased this made me think.

Maybe a real shot at a ring is way more valuable than money.   And is only second to an actual ring.

Maybe its the war stories, and challenges, and striving beyond your ability, etc.

I wonder if Barry Sanders would give up 1 million dollars (good money for an NFL running back, back then) to play in 4 superbowls, even if he knew he lost them all.  I think that I would.

No question in my view.

Jim Kelly and Co have 4 AFC Championship rings...alas no SB ring.  It's what some NFL players all play for...I'd bet Josh Allen would play for free

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

No question in my view.

Jim Kelly and Co have 4 AFC Championship rings...alas no SB ring.  It's what some NFL players all play for...I'd bet Josh Allen would play for free

He absolutely wouldn't. The NFL is a business first and foremost. Your idea that rings come before money is not based in reality. 

As I said before, players will take less to play for a winning team. But that only goes so far. I'd venture to say a 25% discount probably signifies the most. If Team A is offering double in guaranteed money what Team B is, the player is always going to go to Team A regardless of whether a ring is more likely with Team B. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why do you say that? They drafted an rb this year and qbs the last 2 years that they feel good about. I think they are going all out for a playoff run and bringing that gap for their qb and rb replacements. I kinda like what they are doing. 

Because when I think about the cornerstones of the Vrabel team.... Lewan and Jones up front are gone, AJ Brown is gone, Tannehill is aged and they don't know what they have yet at QB, Derrick Henry has struggled to stay healthy more recently on on defense Kevin Byard will be 30 when the season opens. 

It isn't to say they can't compete for a playoff spot if they can get competent QB play but other than Simmons I don't think the guys who made that team really dangerous for a couple of years are still there or still at that level.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d say it was a half hearted attempt to upgrade the offense in FA while again revamping the defensive line…. They needed another top playmaker opposite Diggs… they either have a lot of faith in rookie Kincaid and/or are satisfied with what they have. 

The flyer FA approach to the WR position sucked IMO… but whatever, perhaps they trade for Jeudy if by the deadline is apparent their WRs are a detriment for the 2nd year in a row. 

Their top FA addition was on the offensive side of the ball as well as the majority of the FA additions in general, to go along with the top two draft picks.  Offense was the priority this offseason, it was not half-hearted.  Now you've moved your criticism goalposts from "they don't invest in the offense" to "I don't like who they invested in."

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because when I think about the cornerstones of the Vrabel team.... Lewan and Jones up front are gone, AJ Brown is gone, Tannehill is aged and they don't know what they have yet at QB, Derrick Henry has struggled to stay healthy more recently on on defense Kevin Byard will be 30 when the season opens. 

It isn't to say they can't compete for a playoff spot if they can get competent QB play but other than Simmons I don't think the guys who made that team really dangerous for a couple of years are still there or still at that level.

That’s fair but maybe a younger, athletic qb can take them to a new level and having Hopkins and a 1st round receiver is great to throw too. Lewan was overrated and hurt a lot. I also just think Vrabel maximizes his talent. 

we are still the better team but if somehow the Titans make the playoffs, they have the exact blueprint of teams that have given the Bills problems in the past. 

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I k now about Von's deal, but when he came it was clear he could have done better in areas where he preferred to live.  He got great dough, yes, but he came or the rings.

You're the second to tell me I'm wrong about Hill.  I'm convinced without more.  Thanks.  

Again with due respect, I think you are overselling how much it was just about winning. He is making a ton of money and is on a team that has a chance to make the SB. So it was a win win for him but he won’t be here if we offered hind $15 million/ year.

the tough part is while Von was the bigger name, Matthew Judon was the player we should have targeted. Younger, cheaper, and ascending. Hopefully, von stays healthy because there are some bad patterns developing.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again with due respect, I think you are overselling how much it was just about winning. He is making a ton of money and is on a team that has a chance to make the SB. So it was a win win for him but he won’t be here if we offered hind $15 million/ year.

the tough part is while Von was the bigger name, Matthew Judon was the player we should have targeted. Younger, cheaper, and ascending. Hopefully, von stays healthy because there are some bad patterns developing.

I didn't say it was just about winning.   I said he chose winning over other factors, because from the things he said, of the teams that were after him, the Bills played in the last city he wanted to be in.  He said he preferred Texas, LA and Denver.   And after tax, the money was better in all those places.  He gave up things to pursue winning.  That's all I meant to say.  

As for Judon, I agree, but I think that's only in a vacuum.   The Bills consider their longer term plan, and I think the tentative plan is to make Rousseau a star and pay him.  (Remember, their mantra is to draft and retain talent.)  Von's contract will be largely done, and will not renewed, when Rousseau comes due.   Now, you may think that Judon is the better talent (I think he probably is), but also there's no guarantee the Bills would get him.  We don't know what the Bills' thought about Rousseau 15 months ago when they got Miller, but I'd bet their thinking was something along these lines.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't say it was just about winning.   I said he chose winning over other factors, because from the things he said, of the teams that were after him, the Bills played in the last city he wanted to be in.  He said he preferred Texas, LA and Denver.   And after tax, the money was better in all those places.  He gave up things to pursue winning.  That's all I meant to say.  

As for Judon, I agree, but I think that's only in a vacuum.   The Bills consider their longer term plan, and I think the tentative plan is to make Rousseau a star and pay him.  (Remember, their mantra is to draft and retain talent.)  Von's contract will be largely done, and will not renewed, when Rousseau comes due.   Now, you may think that Judon is the better talent (I think he probably is), but also there's no guarantee the Bills would get him.  We don't know what the Bills' thought about Rousseau 15 months ago when they got Miller, but I'd bet their thinking was something along these lines.  

Well not LA for taxes 😉

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well not LA for taxes 😉

Or cost of living.   

But Texas, where he lives, would have saved him a lot.  

Whatever.  I'm glad he came, and as you or someone else said, for most guys, it's the money not the winning. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Or cost of living.   

But Texas, where he lives, would have saved him a lot.  

Whatever.  I'm glad he came, and as you or someone else said, for most guys, it's the money not the winning. 

With football and how they treat players with non guaranteed money, it has to be about the money. I guess the way to think about it are the Titans like $6 million/ year worse than the Bills? If I was Hopkins, I won’t think so.

His full contract details were published today:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/deandre-hopkins-12307/

$3.6 million cap hit in 2023, $15.9 million cap hit in 2024 (which almost certainly will not actually come to fruition), 3 void years after that.

Personally I think this was very doable for the Bills if they had been willing to let a few Tim Settles and Nyheim Hines go. There is a lot of flexibility in those contract figures. We conceivably could have given him more in year one than the Titans did to minimize the future cap impact. We would have had to tie ourselves to Hopkins for likely a minimum of three years when all was said and done, so yes there would have been some risk there. But it would have been doable. It is not a way out of line impossible to match structure like a lot of fans assumed it would be.

This topic is dead for now. But if our offense struggles to find consistent efficient production from anyone behind Diggs throughout the season and into the playoffs there is going to be a lot of scrutiny over Beane failing to fit in this contract, especially if Hopkins continues to perform well.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

$3.6 million cap hit in 2023, $15.9 million cap hit in 2024 (which almost certainly will not actually come to fruition), 3 void years after that.

Personally I think this was very doable for the Bills if they had been willing to let a few Tim Settles and Nyheim Hines go. There is a lot of flexibility in those contract figures. We conceivably could have given him more in year one than the Titans did to minimize the future cap impact. We would have had to tie ourselves to Hopkins for likely a minimum of three years when all was said and done, so yes there would have been some risk there. But it would have been doable. It is not a way out of line impossible to match structure like a lot of fans assumed it would be.

This topic is dead for now. But if our offense struggles to find consistent efficient production from anyone behind Diggs throughout the season and into the playoffs there is going to be a lot of scrutiny over Beane failing to fit in this contract, especially if Hopkins continues to perform well.

When it’s week 10 and we are bringing in bums like Kenny Golladay off the street, I’m gonna be so mad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So I heard a rumor about taxes being a favor in his decision

so I’m wondering if Buffalo price tag was higher because NY state takes more?

just wondering I don’t actually know but it’s a sizable chunk 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.