Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 hour ago, transient said:

Beane's reported attempt to get one of the first round WRs in this year's draft, his ultimate selection of Kinkaid, his interest in DHop and OBJ, and Davis's play on the field last season when defenses adjusted to him combined with Digg's frustration in the offense at the end of the season would suggest otherwise...

His history of being a "no stone left unturned" GM, which is how we landed Diggs after a year plus of courting the Vikings, would not suggest he was going to/should have given $15m/year to someone we couldn't get that value out of.  May as well give $30m/year to a backup QB.

*edit*

Should mention Kincaid (or hypothetical top WRs in draft) is a hell of a lot more cap friendly than Hopkins.  We could afford the luxury pick of a drafted weapon.  Once we already have that luxury, mortgaging the future to sign Hopkins for shorter than Kinkaid's rookie contract would be downright malicious mismanagement of the roster and cap.

Edited by 1ManRaid

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why should Hopkins, a bonafide stud WR, settle for less when Beane is overpaying JAG rotational defensive linemen? 

Because Beane IS overpaying JAG rotational lineman.  Are we talking about pretend Scott world or are we talking about real life?  

if he was going to sign in Buffalo he had to take less. Period.  

why should he take less?  So he’d have a much better chance at winning a Super Bowl.  But money matters more to him.  Which is fine.  But he won’t be winning a SB on this contract .

56 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

His history of being a "no stone left unturned" GM, which is how we landed Diggs after a year plus of courting the Vikings, would not suggest he was going to/should have given $15m/year to someone we couldn't get that value out of.  May as well give $30m/year to a backup QB.

*edit*

Should mention Kincaid (or hypothetical top WRs in draft) is a hell of a lot more cap friendly than Hopkins.  We could afford the luxury pick of a drafted weapon.  Once we already have that luxury, mortgaging the future to sign Hopkins for shorter than Kinkaid's rookie contract would be downright malicious mismanagement of the roster and cap.

I wasn’t arguing for Hopkins, I was arguing against your assessment that that I bolded and italicized, that Davis is fine as a WR2.

Hopkins would have been a nice addition as a WR2, but not at anywhere near what the Titans gave him. IMO giving a 31 yo DHop that contract just compounds the mistake they made in getting rid of AJ Brown. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Glad it was them. Lets give the Jags some tough divisional games.

I feel like Jax is right up there with Buf,, KC, Cincy on O with Ridley coming back and Lawrence looking like he took that steps to be considered elite. 

That game in London will be an early Big game for us , as i see Jax making the jump to being legit AFC contenders. Still think we're better but the margin isn't as slim as some might think

Edited by JerseyBills

Just heard the news.  My first reaction is disappointment as Beane could’ve moved enough money around to make this work.  Happy it’s Tennessee though if it’s not here.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1

That's a decent sized contract, but something I still think Beane should have made happen.  DHop showed enough in his return from suspension that he still requires defenses to pay attention to him.  He was easily the best WR available this offseason and his impact on the Bills would most likely be more than any other player we drafted or signed.  

If we are truly in our win-now, Super Bowl window, this is the move you need to make to keep up with the rest of the AFC.  

Are we a bad team without him?  No.  Are we still contenders without him?  Yes.  But that's not the point.  The point is what is that move that gets us to the next level?  I'm sorry, but drafting Kincaid, another Edge, and extending Oliver is not anywhere near on the same level of impact as getting Dhop.  Upgrading our offensive line was a good start, but DHop would have made use much scarier on offense.  Let Davis go back to the slot.

Oh well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

That's a decent sized contract, but something I still think Beane should have made happen.  DHop showed enough in his return from suspension that he still requires defenses to pay attention to him.  He was easily the best WR available this offseason and his impact on the Bills would most likely be more than any other player we drafted or signed.  

If we are truly in our win-now, Super Bowl window, this is the move you need to make to keep up with the rest of the AFC.  

Are we a bad team without him?  No.  Are we still contenders without him?  Yes.  But that's not the point.  The point is what is that move that gets us to the next level?  I'm sorry, but drafting Kincaid, another Edge, and extending Oliver is not anywhere near on the same level of impact as getting Dhop.  Upgrading our offensive line was a good start, but DHop would have made use much scarier on offense.  Let Davis go back to the slot.

Oh well

Davis doesn't play the "slot", much at all. 

But oh well

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Davis doesn't play the "slot", much at all. 

But oh well

His rookie year, while not a traditional slot, that where he saw the most success. Now, was that a Daboll thing, maybe.  

Just now, Virgil said:

His rookie year, while not a traditional slot, that where he saw the most success. Now, was that a Daboll thing, maybe.  

No he didn't.  That was Beas' role.

I don't care ro argue about this, but Gabe never played in the slot (primary position).  He may have aligned in a reduced split, or had some snaps as the "#2" (ie: outside wr is #1, next is 2, closest to center is #3) but that was never his thing.  He's way too stiff/not fluid enough for that role.  He's always been an outside, build up speed type of player.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.