Best value position in the draft..go get them Bills

McBean

Tight end.

Reality is that Knox is good, but not great. Yes, we paid him. However, we can run 2 tight end sets and these prospects in this draft are too good to pass at 27 if we sit.

I’d love JSN, but he’s not going to be there. I think a lot of offensive lineman and receivers will be there Friday night for us to take. All the mocks I’m looking at seems to think we will be able to choose 1 of 3 below at 27…

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

4. Washington

It’s no secret on here that I want more weapons and protection for Allen. An elite tight end checks that box, and the thought of Allen being able to feast over the middle with a blue chip prospect like KC does with Kelce and Baltimore with Andrews is too much to pass on.

I’d love to see something like this:

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

Are you open to tight end at 27? Less than a week away fam.

Edited by McBean
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, McBean said:

Tight end.

Reality is that Knox is good, but not great. Yes, we paid him. However, we can run 2 tight end sets and these prospects in this draft are too good to pass at 27 if we sit.

I’d love JSN, but he’s not going to be there. I think a lot of offensive lineman and receivers will be there Friday night for us to take. All the mocks I’m looking at seems to think we will be able to choose 1 of 3 below at 27…

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

It’s no secret on here that I want more weapons and protection for Allen. An elite tight end checks that box, and the thought of Allen being able to feast over the middle with a blue chip prospect like KC does with Kelce and Baltimore with Andrews is too much to pass on.

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

I like Kincaid and Washington the best, though they bring very different skill sets. Mayer and LaPorta are among the top 4. A lot of folks question whether Dorsey would make use of 12 personnel. They also see the depth at the position in the draft and are willing to wait and maybe devote a day 3 pick to TE. I think that means you lose out on the top level talent that is where the real quality can be found. I hope we get one of the top 4. I'd love to add Bergeron, but I doubt he lasts to 91. So, I think your hypothetical sequence somewhat optimistic. I'm fine with Hyatt at 59, that's about right for him. Given my concern about the oline, I almost think Washington might be a better pick at 27 because he is an exceptional blocker. (Also, there's a pretty good chance Mayer and Kincaid go before 27.)

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I would like a OL, and maybe trade up to get someone like laporta. I'm not as up to date on the mocks so I don't know where laporta is projected at.

If the draft was strong at OL, I would agree.  But it’s strong at TE, DL, and weak at OL.

BPA all the way.  And TE and DL will present much greater value at 27 than OL imo

23 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

This has to be like the 300th draft thread. 

It’s less than a week before the draft so that makes sense. 

I just want to see Beane show his franchise qb some good faith by finally drafting his side of the ball in the first round. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, McBean said:

Tight end.

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

You mention TE, then you leave out the one TE that would probably be the best fit for what the Bills need in a TE....Darnell Washington!

The guy is a beast as a blocker, and would actually free up Knox to become more of a weapon in the pass game by taking over his blocking responsibilities....not to mention the fact that he would be a big time Red Zone and Goal line threat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Love Washington and would take him at 27 if we had no other options. And by that I mean a top tier OT, or WR. I think Washington adds to both of those rooms and could be special. Blocks like an extra OL and makes plays like a TE. I’m all about him but think we could trade down into the early 2nd and still land him. At least that’s my hope. 

could then take the best OL or WR in the 2nd round, and then vice Versa in the 3rd round. 

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Special K said:

You mention TE, then you leave out the one TE that would probably be the best fit for what the Bills need in a TE....Darnell Washington!

The guy is a beast as a blocker, and would actually free up Knox to become more of a weapon in the pass game by taking over his blocking responsibilities....not to mention the fact that he would be a big time Red Zone and Goal line threat.

added him.

Thanks!

My error.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, McBean said:

Tight end.

Not picking on you, I see a lot of people say this...But...How do you know that is a reality?

Knox leads the team in Catch % the past 2 seasons and has 15 TD's despite minimal use as a receiving weapons.  For comparison sake, Kelce got 2.5x more targets than Knox has the last 2 years.  Yet Knox still has 15 TD's.  

You can't be great statistically when the offense you play in doesn't prioritize throwing to the TE.  You want more production from him, then fix the OL so he doesn't have be used as often as an extra blocker.  

Look at SF...no one will argue that Kittle isn't a top TE in this league...his stats though were minimal until Jimmy G got hurt.  When the Niners had Jimmy G back there, they needed to use Kittle more as a blocker to try and keep Jimmy G clean on pass attempts because he is a statue in the pocket.  The moment Brock Purdy took over and brought pocket mobility to the offense, they got Kittle more targets and Purdy took them and Kittle has a substantially more productive end of the season.  

Knox can't catch what isn't thrown to him, but when he has been targeted he has led the team in catch rate and produced 15 TD's the past 2 seasons.  And honestly, if Dorsey had not ignored Knox was on the team for the first 3/4 of the season, he would probably be at 20+ TD's the past 2 seasons.   

If you increase Knox from 65 to 100 targets, his stats would put him top 5 in the league at TE and would be close to leading all TE's in TD's.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, McBean said:

Tight end.

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

4. Washington

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

Would be nice, but I don’t think there is any chance that Bergeron makes it to the Bills’ 2nd pick, let alone pick 91.

I like Kincaid and think he might be the best receiver in this draft - including the WRs.  If Hyatt were there at Bills’ 2nd pick, I would consider him, but he would not be a certainty in my mind.

51 minutes ago, McBean said:

added him.

Thanks!

My error.

I’m in awe of Washington’s size, power and speed for his size, but I have real doubts that he can be more than an extra OL who can make some possession catches.  His routes look pretty clunky when I watch him.  Now, maybe I’m wrong about him, certainly his physical skill set is enticing.

• Like (+1) 1

The only one I'd take at #27 is Kincaid and I don't think he will be there. If they trade back into the early 30s and Mayer is there fine. I'd consider LaPorta at #59 depending on him being there and the board. I am not a big Washington early guy. He moves waaay to stiff in the open field. I think he is a great blocker and can be a safe outlet receiver in the pass game. But I don't think other than redzone he is ever going to be a guy teams are actively planning against. 

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

zero chance these three are available at these three positions. If you want two of these three, it will likely have to be like this:
1.Hyatt or Kincaid

2. Bergeron

Even In the second scenario only Hyatt is "likely" to be there, there others "may" be there. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not picking on you, I see a lot of people say this...But...How do you know that is a reality?

Knox leads the team in Catch % the past 2 seasons and has 15 TD's despite minimal use as a receiving weapons.  For comparison sake, Kelce got 2.5x more targets than Knox has the last 2 years.  Yet Knox still has 15 TD's.  

You can't be great statistically when the offense you play in doesn't prioritize throwing to the TE.  You want more production from him, then fix the OL so he doesn't have be used as often as an extra blocker.  

Look at SF...no one will argue that Kittle isn't a top TE in this league...his stats though were minimal until Jimmy G got hurt.  When the Niners had Jimmy G back there, they needed to use Kittle more as a blocker to try and keep Jimmy G clean on pass attempts because he is a statue in the pocket.  The moment Brock Purdy took over and brought pocket mobility to the offense, they got Kittle more targets and Purdy took them and Kittle has a substantially more productive end of the season.  

Knox can't catch what isn't thrown to him, but when he has been targeted he has led the team in catch rate and produced 15 TD's the past 2 seasons.  And honestly, if Dorsey had not ignored Knox was on the team for the first 3/4 of the season, he would probably be at 20+ TD's the past 2 seasons.   

If you increase Knox from 65 to 100 targets, his stats would put him top 5 in the league at TE and would be close to leading all TE's in TD's.

I agree with all of this and it's hard to know what the path forward will be. Knox dealt with a major tragedy right at the time the offense was learning and evolving in early August. Perhaps that played a role in his development in the system. Perhaps the offensive line needing help is the primary culprit. Maybe Dorsey just doesn't like showcasing the TE? (He did throw to Jeremy Shockey at Miami). In any event, like the OP, I see a ton of value in the TE's for this draft and feel it is one of the most value driven roles in the NFL, but to your point I think we need to show that we can get the ball to one of them before we have two of them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

zero chance these three are available at these three positions. If you want two of these three, it will likely have to be like this:
1.Hyatt or Kincaid

2. Bergeron

Even In the second scenario only Hyatt is "likely" to be there, there others "may" be there. 

I would trade up for Kincaid in the first. Think you should compare him to the wr class and think of him as a difference maker weapon.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Tight end.

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

4. Washington

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

I feel like Kincaid is overrated, and Washington might be the best of the lot.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I would trade up for Kincaid in the first. Think you should compare him to the wr class and think of him as a difference maker weapon.

I agree with you here, about the wide receiver classification. He’s an interesting player, no doubt I just like more well-rounded tight ends that can block to some degree.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Trading up makes getting Hyatt and Bergeron less likely. 

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

If we could get Zack Kuntz in the 4th round, I'd be a very happy man.

He is one of the steals of the draft. Had a break out year in 21, season ending injury this year after only a handful of games. Now he is way under the radar. I watched him a few times this year prior to his injury. He's not one of those guys that just has good combine numbers. He's fluid, instinctive, and can catch. Old Dominion's passing game was awful, he stood out. In fact I didn't even know who I was watching until you posted this. I went, was that the TE from Old Dominion? I remembered him from the start of the year.  Out of a million games this year that is how much he stood out. 

2 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I feel like Kincaid is overrated, and Washington might be the best of the lot.

I agree with you here, about the wide receiver classification. He’s an interesting player, no doubt I just like more well-rounded tight ends that can block to some degree.

As I said upthread, Kincaid and Washington tend towards extremes. Mayer is probably the best traditional TE. I wrote elsewhere that Kincaid, Washington, and Bergeron were my three favorite players in this draft, so I appreciate both TEs for different reasons and would be happy with either one of them.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I agree with all of this and it's hard to know what the path forward will be. Knox dealt with a major tragedy right at the time the offense was learning and evolving in early August. Perhaps that played a role in his development in the system. Perhaps the offensive line needing help is the primary culprit. Maybe Dorsey just doesn't like showcasing the TE? (He did throw to Jeremy Shockey at Miami). In any event, like the OP, I see a ton of value in the TE's for this draft and feel it is one of the most value driven roles in the NFL, but to your point I think we need to show that we can get the ball to one of them before we have two of them.

That is a good additional point too, well said

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here is where I am at in relation to the TE position.  We definitely need to add one, so not at all against drafting one.  But...I don't see us running a lot of 2 TE sets with Dorsey, so using a pick early in the draft is going to result in us taking a first or 2nd round player to be a backup to Knox who he himself only got 65 targets last year in Dorsey's offense.  

That being said, I am a big believer in talent and BPA...if while on the clock in 1st or 2nd round the BPA was clearly a TE, then I would not have an issue taking the TE over reaching for someone else.  

But in my opinion, a WR, LB, or OL would help our team more than a 2nd TE when our highly paid starting TE has never gotten even 70 targets in a season the past 4 years.

Tight end.

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

4. Washington

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

Kincaid and Hyatt would be a home run. I think we’d have to trade up in Round 2

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is where I am at in relation to the TE position.  We definitely need to add one, so not at all against drafting one.  But...I don't see us running a lot of 2 TE sets with Dorsey, so using a pick early in the draft is going to result in us taking a first or 2nd round player to be a backup to Knox who he himself only got 65 targets last year in Dorsey's offense.  

That being said, I am a big believer in talent and BPA...if while on the clock in 1st or 2nd round the BPA was clearly a TE, then I would not have an issue taking the TE over reaching for someone else.  

But in my opinion, a WR, LB, or OL would help our team more than a 2nd TE when our highly paid starting TE has never gotten even 70 targets in a season the past 4 years.

Based on Beane’s comments a while ago about looking for mismatches, Kincaid as the slot or Washington for his size make a lot of sense

On 4/21/2023 at 3:28 PM, McBean said:

Tight end.

1. Mayer 

2. Kincaid

3. LaPorta

4. Washington

1. Kincaid

2. Hyatt

3. Bergeron

Let’s go fam!

I finally got one lol.

Edited by McBean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.